CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

Why are you wishing for lower TTK? You’ve already told us that 343 is never going to make any of these changes.

Oh I know it’ll never happen. I’d love to be proven wrong however 

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I wish the DMR was the utility but make it 1 second perfect TTK, projectile so long range isn’t op, but fast enough where leading isn’t required in close to mid distance 

Did you seriously just have a decent opinion? wtf is happening

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

the gears have started turning. 

however I find it slightly funny he could have just said "i wish the ce pistol was the utility but make it 1 second ttk" 

• Like (+1) 1

We are never going to get what we want so having a "I think we could get away with this" compromise opinion is pointless.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I thought h4s pre patch br was slower it was a 5 shot remember?

IIRC it was around 1.6 sec pre-patch.

26 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

We are never going to get what we want so having a "I think we could get away with this" compromise opinion is pointless.

Whilst I agree what do you think is the way forward? Give up on the franchise? Wait to see what the new MCC modding tools bring? Try another "Evolved" style thing with Infinite? Genuinely curious btw, not saying that I know the asnwer either, I'm as lost for what to do as anyone else here.

10 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

In a Halo context, sometimes I feel that way. ;(

Dam dood I was just referring to the fact that lemons are round. Get some help bruv

5 minutes ago, Mow said:

Whilst I agree what do you think is the way forward? Give up on the franchise? Wait to see what the new MCC modding tools bring? Try another "Evolved" style thing with Infinite? Genuinely curious btw, not saying that I know the asnwer either, I'm as lost for what to do as anyone else here.

Well that depends. Are you, like me, a bitter fuck who could survive on a desert island off of nothing but schadenfreude?

Because since Reach dropped, name one actual good thing that's happened to this franchise from a gameplay perspective that lasted more than a game. My only contribution is a centered reticule.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Well that depends. Are you, like me, a bitter fuck who could survive on a desert island off of nothing but schadenfreude?

Because since Reach dropped, name one actual good thing that's happened to this franchise from a gameplay perspective that lasted more than a game. My only contribution is a centered reticule.

I'm an optimist, but I try not to bullshit myself too much. I suppose I just find it hard to accept that the huge potential that Halo's gameplay has to offer will most likely never be truly realized. That said, I'm not so easily dissuaded from trying, when I look at the things that the MCC modding community are already achieving after like 2-3 days, it makes me wonder if there's a way forward without the need to scrounge for big brother 343's scraps that they throw at us intermittently. It's sad to see people get excited over the competitive "offering" of Infinite. BR starts, no radar, no grenade hitmarkers... That's enough to get people excited? That's all competitive Halo is to some people?

10 minutes ago, Mow said:

I'm an optimist, but I try not to bullshit myself too much. I suppose I just find it hard to accept that the huge potential that Halo's gameplay has to offer will most likely never be truly realized. That said, I'm not so easily dissuaded from trying, when I look at the things that the MCC modding community are already achieving after like 2-3 days, it makes me wonder if there's a way forward without the need to scrounge for big brother 343's scraps that they throw at us intermittently. It's sad to see people get excited over the competitive "offering" of Infinite. BR starts, no radar, no grenade hitmarkers... That's enough to get people excited? That's all competitive Halo is to some people?

All I'm saying is, why do you think they've never given us individual weapon damage modifiers? Because they'll never let our "vision" threaten what they're trying to present.

• Like (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

All I'm saying is, why do you think they've never given us individual weapon damage modifiers? Because they'll never let our "vision" threaten what they're trying to present.

I imagine the community could achieve things in a month (with the right tools) which would take 343 a decade, I mean it took them 6 years to make a H2A knockoff with sprint and a grapple. I'm still shocked, although I probably shouldn't be...

19 minutes ago, Mow said:

I imagine the community could achieve things in a month (with the right tools) which would take 343 a decade, I mean it took them 6 years to make a H2A knockoff with sprint and a grapple. I'm still shocked, although I probably shouldn't be...

Right but no one wants to play competitive customs on settings that are irrelevant to the actual tournament scene. That's the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Right but no one wants to play competitive customs on settings that are irrelevant to the actual tournament scene. That's the problem.

Oh for sure, and that's a fact even blind optimism can't overcome, which brings me back to my original question I guess... I just feel that the Halo formula has so much to offer to the FPS genre, and it really does suck to see it go down this way. I see a lot of "influencers" hyping the game on social media but I don't see that translating into anthing meaninful for the competitive scene, certainly not anything more than Halo 5 offered, unless you count the amount of money 343/MS are undoubtly going to pour into HCS as a "meaningful contribution" to the scene, which I certainly don't. If that were so H5 would have been the best comp Halo game yet. Period.

I suppose there's always MultiLockOn's project that he is working on, but then again who knows how much that will resemble Halo and I also don't feel that it's fair to put those kind of expectations onto him, especially this early on. Y'know "expectations are the thieves of joy" and all that... 

Ah well, guess I'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

2 hours ago, Hootspa said:

I’m not against a faster TTK but I know the masses are. Go read waypoint and Reddit 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

What games do give that option? 

18 minutes ago, Mow said:

I just feel that the Halo formula has so much to offer

What is the Halo formula composed of?  Which elements should be amplified and which should be muffled?  Where are the gaps in Halo’s formula?  What should these gaps be filled with?  

12 minutes ago, Campbell said:

The Halo community at large is the only group I can think of that is willfully and blissfully shit at "their" game. It's almost like some people wear it as a badge of honor.

On multiple occasions you have pointed out how reddit and Waypoint react to/interpret things. Do you by chance follow League of Legends at all? The World Championship group stage is ongoing; check out their subreddit. I think there is perhaps a single topic on the entire first page NOT related to professional play. Granted it is the biggest event of the year for that game but the point I'm making here is that as a casual observer, other gaming communities fully embrace competitive play and in general, players like to improve over time. 

Popularity is NOT indicative of quality. I realize that's funny to say after my last point, but I think this is especially important to bear in mind with respect to Halo and its status as a niche franchise. At best, the "masses" don't know what's good for them and at worst, they agree that less skillful gameplay is the correct design direction. I place basically zero value on the opinion of the average r/Halo or Waypoint poster. While I don't mind playing Halo to mess around with friends or have fun with goofy custom games, in my opinion PVP gameplay should be inherently competitive. The typical modern Halo fan who enjoys long kill times and skill-less AR bullet hose spam probably doesn't have a firm grasp on why that style of game isn't fun for players who want to test their mettle. They just don't want to get repeatedly roasted by better players and need their dopamine drip-feed from the developer.

You’re completely right and I agree. On any other game I feel the average person tries improving and cares to get somewhat good, and even acknowledges it’s competitive aspect. Not a league player but I know how big it’s comp scene is. I’ve done my studying and came to a conclusion why halos community is the way it is. It’s because of all those “fun” silly customs and other shenanigans. In cod or any other game you can’t go into private and really find a way to mess around. I’ve read many comments stating halo isn’t a competitive game in fact. Halos community just attracts those who want to be able to lean back as far as they want in a chair and be able to go off. They don’t think halo should be like other games that cater to being competitive. The average cod lobby I play everyone in game can shoot and move. But in halo hot damn basically everyone I’m against and with sucks! 
you have to remember that you not valuing those halo fans opinions means jack shit when the ones in charge have to value them. They’re not just 10-30 no sometimes those ridiculous opinions or thoughts about halo are shared by thousands. 

Still of the opinion that if the dev just made the Halo game this board wants, the casual community would embrace it as long as it had the forge/customs potential Halo has had since H3. There are plenty of casual fans that love CE, and you can still turn off secondaries and run at eachother with your trigger finger held down if that's really what gets you going.

Honestly just give comp an actual utility weapon, and infinite suddenly has a lot of potential. Then we will still be complaining about maps and clamber. But I'd play the shit out of infinite as long as it had a good Magnum.

(Also make fps aim good, because fps. Thank)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

You can't shoot grenades out of people's hands anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

In one of the leaks I'm sure I saw Forge will have damage modifiers. I'm not 100% though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

In one of the leaks I'm sure I saw Forge will have damage modifiers. I'm not 100% though.

If the leaks about forge end up being true and they work, this iteration of forge will be absolutely bonkers.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1