CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Snipe Three said:

I think its basically guaranteed that they backpedal and give them a team slayer playlist where they get all of the dumb bullshit that should've never been in a ranked game

Probably 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

I seriously don’t understand the lack of gametypes here… Extraction was one of the best competitive gametypes introduced to the franchise since Assault in Halo 2, and yet they for some reason refuse to bring it back.

If it were up to me, a 7-game series would consists of CTF, Bomb, KotH, Oddball, Extraction, Strongholds, and a game 7 Slayer. I feel that all these gametypes are unique in their own way and deserve a spot not just in a social setting, but a competitive one as well. 

Im hoping that those are just the gametypes that they have prepared for competitive and teh game will launch with everything else you mentions. Hoping, not expecting.

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Unrelatedly, if I had my run of the playlist lineup, it would be this:

1. Casual TS/obj (ranked / social)

2. BTB TS/obj (ranked / social)

3. HCS (ranked only)

4. Specialty slayer (SWAT/snipers/fiesta/etc. unranked only)

5. Action Sack (Zombies/Grifball/etc. unranked only)

6. Rotational bonus XP playlist

Since we're discussing this:

Ranked:

• Arena - This will be HCS settings but don't for the love of god call it HCS or worse "hardcore". Also give it a bunch more gametypes than will actually be used in tournaments
  • 2v2
  • FFA

Social would be match composer with a bunch of presets.

Keep it simple baby

43 minutes ago, NAK said:

I'm happy that they weren't afraid to change the settings between ranked and social playlists. I never really understood the idea that people are somehow incapable of switching between different game modes within a game. "Universal settings" do more to alienate/annoy both sides of the casual-competitive divide rather than magically making it the game  "more accessible."

H5 is proof of that so I am glad they just made the changes they needed to make in Infinite, even if I wish they went even further.  

The thing with universal settings is they should START with the competitive settings. Then for social just turn things on like radar and give an automatic secondary. Halo has always done the opposite.  Designed for social, then square-holed as best as they could for competitive.

Im just happy that ALL the ranked playlists will have the same settings

30 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Does anyone even like FFA anymore

I do when the settings are right. We just haven't had that in a couple games. Competitive settings might be fun in Infinite. Though its the one gametype i actually prefer the radar ON.

8 hours ago, hvs500 said:

This is a good point. Doesn't the brs excessive auto aim put a glass ceiling on skill too? The top 10% would consistently be landing 4 shots and there wouldn't be much room to stand out. 

With the commando, while you do advantage from holding down the trigger, I don't think this strategy would be especially dominant at the top level. You're just risking too much for too little. 

There's also an argument to be made for ttks. I think that low ttks create better gameplay for everyone. Not only do low ttks prevent snowballing, but they also ensure that the team with map control is not shooting fish in a barrel. 

Sorry double post... forgot to submit that last one before i logged off for the night. anyway...

Also good points i guess i would rather take a glass ceiling imposed by a consistent if too easy weapon over a dice roll any day, especially while using a weapon that is less spammy than the commando.  And with the commando, if you're firing it in a way to mitigate the RNG factor as you would whenever your shooting someone not shooting back, you're extending far beyond the optimal kill time anyway.  And when you and another player commando-ing each other one could tap fire more slowly and the other could spam. while the spammer might lose more often, in each individual engagement its a crapshoot despite the fact the person tap-firing is doing the "right thing".  To me, thats simply a non-starter for a spawn weapon.  Really any weapon, but especially a spawn weapon.

10 hours ago, NAK said:

I refuse to believe that isn't a troll. 

I have seen a few people say something like "the lack of radar might be a jarring change" which, while downvoted when I saw it on Reddit, isn't a surprising response by someone who is clueless on the topic. 

The lack of a need for actual spatial awareness within video games is one of the main things that holds back modern day game design from what I can tell. Instead of truly being aware of their surroundings, players are content with staring at the HUD/minimap. Developers encourage and enable this dependence, which allows for lazy game design as well. 

A lot of people are incapable of blaming themselves then improving from that.  They just want to shoot mindlessly, which begs the question why do they give 2 shits what the competitive settings are???  If i'm playing a game with no radar, and i get flanked,  thats my fault for not recognizing who is where and who just spawned and where that could have happened. If someone takes an unexpected route, or an expected route with unexpected timing or predicts where i am going better than i predict where they will be, good for them. I got beat.  Thats fine and thats the mental game you play 100 times a match. If a player doesn't want to play that mental game, dont' ask for ranked to be made easier because you don't want to think.  Just play social man.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

So the brs ttk is what? 1.5 sec?

1.6 sec, the slowest TTK a BR has ever had in Halo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

8 hours ago, KelticDragon said:

I don't see how someone could put H4 above default Reach. 

I'd put H4's AGL/TTD settings above MLG Reach V1-V6, but both experiences are trash & comparing the two is a matter of splitting hairs. 

I am frustrated that sensible, agreeable choices for a competitive format, when put into the context of competitive halo, make no sense given the directional flip-flop the series has undergone over the past four titles. It comes off as less than an educated guess and more of the same "throw this on the wall and see what sticks".

• Like (+1) 1

The BR's kill time, while not ideal, would be tolerable if not for the excessive aim assist on the weapon. There's just little "outplayability" there.

That being said, I think Infinite's strafe prevents this from being as bad as H2A. You can at least attempt to avoid shots in Infinite, which is not something you could say about H2A.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

The BR's kill time, while not ideal, would be tolerable if not for the excessive aim assist on the weapon. There's just little "outplayability" there.

That being said, I think Infinite's strafe prevents this from being as bad as H2A. You can at least attempt to avoid shots in Infinite, which is not something you could say about H2A.

Agree and disagree. I definately think HI will be better than H2A (depending on the maps), but fixing the ease of use without fixing the TTK will not be a net improvement. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My ideal BR

• 1.4s TTK, 4sk
  • 7sk with body shots
  • no recoil
  • no spread
  • no bullet magnetism
  • minimal aim assist
  • h3-ish projectile speed

"1.4 SECONDS TTK! thats too slow man..." well yeah... but if the weapon is going to be a 3 shot burst, much faster than that and you might as well make it a single shot.

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Sorry double post... forgot to submit that last one before i logged off for the night. anyway...

Also good points i guess i would rather take a glass ceiling imposed by a consistent if too easy weapon over a dice roll any day, especially while using a weapon that is less spammy than the commando.  And with the commando, if you're firing it in a way to mitigate the RNG factor as you would whenever your shooting someone not shooting back, you're extending far beyond the optimal kill time anyway.  And when you and another player commando-ing each other one could tap fire more slowly and the other could spam. while the spammer might lose more often, in each individual engagement its a crapshoot despite the fact the person tap-firing is doing the "right thing".  To me, thats simply a non-starter for a spawn weapon.  Really any weapon, but especially a spawn weapon.

A lot of people are incapable of blaming themselves then improving from that.  They just want to shoot mindlessly, which begs the question why do they give 2 shits what the competitive settings are???  If i'm playing a game with no radar, and i get flanked,  thats my fault for not recognizing who is where and who just spawned and where that could have happened. If someone takes an unexpected route, or an expected route with unexpected timing or predicts where i am going better than i predict where they will be, good for them. I got beat.  Thats fine and thats the mental game you play 100 times a match. If a player doesn't want to play that mental game, dont' ask for ranked to be made easier because you don't want to think.  Just play social man.

There's no difference in ttk between holding down the trigger and tap firing. That and tap firing while it does have bloom it's neglible enough that bullet magnetism will make it not noticeable most of the time. Bloom needs to go though. That should be our next goal as a community then we can move to something like commando or sidekick starts. Also Commando has a 21 round magazine so almost room for 3 kills.

10 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

My ideal BR

• 1.4s TTK, 4sk
  • 7sk with body shots
  • no recoil
  • no spread
  • no bullet magnetism
  • minimal aim assist

"1.4 SECONDS TTK! thats too slow man..." well yeah... but if the weapon is going to be a 3 shot burst, much faster than that and you might as well make it a single shot.

That's too slow man. I think 1.2 seconds is the slowest it should possibly be given the rest of the sandbox

1.4 could be passable if they they fixed the social loadout weapons. But maybe wanting the game outside of ranked to be balanced is just wishful thinking.

I'm still on team Magnum. 1 second ttk. 3-5sk. 12-15 round mag. But I know that's wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

My ideal BR

• 1.4s TTK, 4sk
  • 7sk with body shots
  • no recoil
  • no spread
  • no bullet magnetism
  • minimal aim assist

Make it a little bit faster, but require 2 bullets to kill after shields pop.

3 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Make it a little bit faster, but require 2 bullets to kill after shields pop.

So 9 bullets to break shields and a 2 bullet headshot?

1 hour ago, OldBlu said:

That's too slow man. I think 1.2 seconds is the slowest it should possibly be given the rest of the sandbox

1.4 could be passable if they they fixed the social loadout weapons. But maybe wanting the game outside of ranked to be balanced is just wishful thinking.

I'm still on team Magnum. 1 second ttk. 3-5sk. 12-15 round mag. But I know that's wishful thinking.

yeah i know and agree lol.  Im going for psuedo-realistic expectations here.  Whats the fastest BR kill time ever? 1.35 seconds? yeah a 4 shot, 3 round burst weapon is never going to be faster than that. It just won't.

The real bitch of it is, there was NOTHING wrong with the H5 magnum mechanically other than ADS.  They just needed to make it not-hitscan and tone down the Aim assist and bullet magnetism a tad. 1.2 second kill time single-shot projectile weapon with just a comfortable feeling amount of aim assist and no bullet magnetism? yes fucking please.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish the DMR was the utility but make it 1 second perfect TTK, projectile so long range isn’t op, but fast enough where leading isn’t required in close to mid distance 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldBlu said:

So 9 bullets to break shields and a 2 bullet headshot?

10 to break shields, then finish off with the last two.

6 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

4 hours ago, ripharambe said:

There's no difference in ttk between holding down the trigger and tap firing. That and tap firing while it does have bloom it's neglible enough that bullet magnetism will make it not noticeable most of the time. Bloom needs to go though. That should be our next goal as a community then we can move to something like commando or sidekick starts. Also Commando has a 21 round magazine so almost room for 3 kills.

If this is true, then commando starts are a no brainer to me. 

If not, I still maintain my position, but I'd be a little hesitant to make any firm judgement. I see what you are saying, however I think that the the difference in the ttk while holding down the trigger vs when tap firing is so insignificant that going full auto is outside of the realm of strategic risk- it's madness. The odds of somebody doing that when money is on the line are incredibly low. Decent gameplay 95% of the time is better than bad gameplay all the time. I know that BR starts are technically more fair, but fair doesn't mean competitive. Poker is undoubtedly more competitive than checkers. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

1.6 sec, the slowest TTK a BR has ever had in Halo. 

I thought h4s pre patch br was slower it was a 5 shot remember?

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I wish the DMR was the utility but make it 1 second perfect TTK, projectile so long range isn’t op, but fast enough where leading isn’t required in close to mid distance 

Why are you wishing for lower TTK? You’ve already told us that 343 is never going to make any of these changes.

Theater mode has been broken so long that it feels like a given

2 hours ago, hvs500 said:

How do I delete a misquote