CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, ripharambe said:

Personally I'd go CE >>> H2 = H5 pistols only >>>>>>>>> ZBNS Reach > Halo Infinite > Halo 3 > Halo 5 with ARs and radar >>>>>>>>>>>>>> H4 = Default Reach

Edit: Fully aware I'll be crucified for this but I'll stand by it.

I'm with you. I'm not sure if Halo Infinite will be that far down my list or who knows maybe I'll grow to like it way more, and I think default H4 is significantly worse than every other Halo. But the rough standings of your list at the current moment I agree with. H1, H2, and H5 are definitely my top three with maybe some wiggle room for Halo Infinite to squeeze in and be on equal footing of H2 or H5 depending on how the game pans out.

Just now, Basu said:

I'd say the Commando wouldn't, maybe because of the bloom? It can still easily finish a kill before someone sprints around the corner, which the BR can't.  Everything else, you're probably right. Sadkick you're constantly reloading and need teamshot to finish your kills. AR is just dumb all around. Stalker Rifle or Mangler? Same reload issue, plus alien guns can't be the starting gun.

The BR seems especially bad though. 1.6s perfect TTK with (alleged) lower aim assist puts is into the realm of pre-TU Reach TTKs, which is just ridiculously teamshotty.

Only if the Commando users abuse the single-shot qualities of the gun which makes it harder to aim when it's so spammy. I would guarantee you the Commando average TTK is right in the neighborhood of the BR's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Well if we're going to have a not-so-difficult BR, then everything falls on the sniper.

1 minute ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Only if the Commando users abuse the single-shot qualities of the gun which makes it harder to aim when it's so spammy. I would guarantee you the Commando average TTK is right in the neighborhood of the BR's.

Probably longer due to having to reload. Not even joking.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Basu said:

alien guns can't be the starting gun.

That's a shame, Stalker Rifle probably needs the fewest tweaks to be a decent starting weapon. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm serious; 150% damage modifier, 200% health modifier. Break shields in 2 BR shots, 1 headshot to kill but keeps the spam weapons in line due to the increased health (only breaking shields and headshots benefit from the damage boost). Basically the only real solution I see right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Blackeyed Blond said:

I swear 343 are obsessed with the “scavenging” aspect of the game like it’s some brand new concept. We’ve picked up weapons around the maps in every Halo game (some more than others). Power weapons, grenades, power ups, niche weapons… there has always been reason to pick stuff up. I don’t need to be presented with a new weapon or pickup every 5 steps though.

The problem with relying too heavily on scavenging is there won't always be a convenient weapon to scavenge, so when you're spawn weapon is underpowered you're forced even more into the teamshot meta and just "Staying alive" until you can get something else.  They seem to pack the maps with stuff, we'll see how it pans out.

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

This is a Hard Way checkpoint post. Upvote this post so we know you're catching up

Where you at son??

So the settings aren't perfect, mainly because the BR isn't perfect. but its very likely I will play the shit out of those settings.  If they tried to replicate default... there is no way in hell.

I seriously don’t understand the lack of gametypes here… Extraction was one of the best competitive gametypes introduced to the franchise since Assault in Halo 2, and yet they for some reason refuse to bring it back.

If it were up to me, a 7-game series would consists of CTF, Bomb, KotH, Oddball, Extraction, Strongholds, and a game 7 Slayer. I feel that all these gametypes are unique in their own way and deserve a spot not just in a social setting, but a competitive one as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Silos said:

I'm with you. I'm not sure if Halo Infinite will be that far down my list or who knows maybe I'll grow to like it way more, and I think default H4 is significantly worse than every other Halo. But the rough standings of your list at the current moment I agree with. H1, H2, and H5 are definitely my top three with maybe some wiggle room for Halo Infinite to squeeze in and be on equal footing of H2 or H5 depending on how the game pans out.

I grouped 4 and default Reach because IMO debating which of them is better is like trying to decide which rotten tomato looks slightly more appetizing.

@Basu
The Halo nerd in me is 100% going to spend my shift today looking for this video.

• Like (+1) 2

Unrelatedly, if I had my run of the playlist lineup, it would be this:

1. Casual TS/obj (ranked / social)

2. BTB TS/obj (ranked / social)

3. HCS (ranked only)

4. Specialty slayer (SWAT/snipers/fiesta/etc. unranked only)

5. Action Sack (Zombies/Grifball/etc. unranked only)

6. Rotational bonus XP playlist

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On second thought, I don’t think this game will be especially popular. It won’t be DOA and will probably blow h5 out of the water in all regards, but I don’t expect it to revitalize halo in any large way. It will probably pull in a good number of the existing fans who enjoy long kill times and team shot, but I don’t think that formula will do too well at getting new fans considering that in most popular games right now, the individual has significantly more power. IMO, it will be a game that is watched more than it is played.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Basu said:

It's an interesting conundrum. What do you think is worse for Halo: teamshot meta or RNG spread?

I can't find the video anymore, but aim assist tests have been done before to compare the trilogy games. Make a dummy walk through the FOV of a player and then measure the angle displacement. Or walk past an enemy without moving your reticle and again measure the angle of displacement.

Interesting, so the sidecuck really requires such accurate aim to get RRR, and yet they still felt that it needed bloom and such a shallow mag? AND not be the competitive starting weapon? Weird choices over there.

Finally someone says it, I thought I was taking crazy pills reading all this unanimous praise for these settings. Are we supposed to be excited that the competitive settings aren't just fucking stupid for once? Did H5 lower the bar that much?

I get why they went BR starts. This entire game is a big package of nostalgia bait, and people still consider H2/3 the pinnacle of competitive Halo. Which it was in many ways, but not because of the BR, quite the contrary actually. But this is how you get the old MLG kids to hop back on board. You have to remember that the TTK discussion and criticism of the teamshot meta comes from a few individuals that were a small minority even back on the MLG forums. It's the jaded boomers subset within the jaded boomers population. The vast majority of Halo kids loves the teamshot meta and thinks CE/Goldpro is too fast and stupid.

BR starts are a smart marketing move, but from a gameplay standpoint it will lead to the same old teamshot meta we've already seen, just with sprint, clamber, weird equipment everywhere and on worse maps. I guess it will have a following, more so than Reach/4/5 and probably H2A as well because that game was always the weird stepchild of the series.

Also, no nade hitmarkers is very good, but this again shows that 343 is clueless. Adding a cancerous mechanic to the game just to disable it in comp is such a 2010 move.

I guess if they turned up the RoF on the BR to make it like the H5 beta this would actually be sorta acceptable. But with this weird feeling 1.6 TTK BR I just don't see myself playing or watching this game.

I personally think a mix of the ce and the teamshot is a good way to go. Add like .1 seconds to ce pistol ttk and average ttk then throw it into infinite and we have a great utility starting weapon. This game has some glaring issues but tbh these settings remove a lot of the issues I had that's why I'm excited. I don't see us getting any ground when it comes to sandbox but I've been shocked before. I also think with a fast ttk weapon like in ce you have to have better maps than what we have, including verticality. Most of the maps currently don't have a lot of verticality. That one indoor map has a little bit and I think that may be why it's my favorite. The br will be too easy if all aim is left or right.

I'm happy that they weren't afraid to change the settings between ranked and social playlists. I never really understood the idea that people are somehow incapable of switching between different game modes within a game. "Universal settings" do more to alienate/annoy both sides of the casual-competitive divide rather than magically making it the game  "more accessible."

H5 is proof of that so I am glad they just made the changes they needed to make in Infinite, even if I wish they went even further.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

The positive reception to Infinite's competitive reveal reminds me of this: 

I was gearing up for AR Sidekick starts in competitive so clearly what we got was an improvement compared to that. I don’t expect it to be great by any stretch of the imagination though. Probably like 40% worse than splitgate, but no portals which is a good thing. I think most of the reactions here are because of how much worse it could have been.

38 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Unrelatedly, if I had my run of the playlist lineup, it would be this:

1. Casual TS/obj (ranked / social)

2. BTB TS/obj (ranked / social)

3. HCS (ranked only)

4. Specialty slayer (SWAT/snipers/fiesta/etc. unranked only)

5. Action Sack (Zombies/Grifball/etc. unranked only)

6. Rotational bonus XP playlist

Ranked BtB over FFA?  What I wouldn't give to staple your hand to your thigh right now.

Just now, NavG123 said:

Ranked BtB over FFA?  What I wouldn't give to staple your hand to your thigh right now.

Does anyone even like FFA anymore

1 minute ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Does anyone even like FFA anymore

All shooters should be made for 1v1 or FFA by default. All this "team-based" trash is just meant for people not good enough to succeed on their own.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mow said:

I suppose I'm just extremely underwhelmed that we waited 6 years for... a grappling hook?

Imagine how long it takes them to design a single map now. Knowing that's there.

As far as Playlists: This game just needs a social match composer like MCC. Easy.

BTB with BR starts: you got it.

Warm up with social BRs? Go for it.

Select team size, mode, and starting weapon then go to town.