CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

This is the correct answer. It's just insanely high speed projectiles that only will require leading at absurd ranges, effectively hitscan. 

I'm coining this as "The Halo 2 method"

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hully said:

I put some time into Splitgate but my old boomer ass can't keep track of all the angles and portal plays happening. If that game existed without portals it would probably be my main game at this point.

Splitgate would be so fucking good if the main gimmick of the game didn't exist.

It feels so fucking good but there's no map control because you can literally teleport and I'm just like....so close yet so far.

Maybe they'll give us a no portal mode? Or change it so.you can't shoot through them or something.

Also they recently added clamber and sliding🤢

Halo wise, I'm finding it amusing everyone is losing their minds now that the flights are over. Tweeting that they "literally don't want to play anything else." Shit I'm sorry your video game world is so bleak that a very average Halo experience is blowing you away.

And then they proceed to shit on the "ancient" games like Infinite is the second coming.

Man, really shows the sorry state of the series. Imo, overall Infinite is a very very modest improvement over H5 (if only because I don't need to press 1000 buttons to do anything anymore) but it's still meh, I don't see why everyone is losing their minds.

I had a good time with the flights. It's far from perfect. Very far. But at this point I'll take whatever positive I can get. But man take the blinders off. It could be so much better.

12 hours ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

The shot that kills him is like wut

Also the glare is real obnoxious

Wtf is this clip trying to imply, that the sniper should be a free kill? You're both standing in a fucking hallway which means no one can help you and he doesn't have to change his bead on you, of-fucking-course the sniper should lose here. The BR isn't even good in this game. The part where he got killed while seemingly behind cover is another issue entirely.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paladin_MI said:

Splitgate would be so fucking good if the main gimmick of the game didn't exist.

It feels so fucking good but there's no map control because you can literally teleport and I'm just like....so close yet so far.

Maybe they'll give us a no portal mode? Or change it so.you can't shoot through them or something.

Also they recently added clamber and sliding🤢

Splitgate is where it's at because of its portals. There have been other arena FPS on PC that are objectively better than Splitgate and failed due to a poor population. I agree with everything that you said that the portals just add too much craziness for me. I'm still convinced the game is a gimmick and the population will be embarrassingly low by the Spring. The gameplay flow is off and their execution on the season pass model isn't good enough to keep people there.

What also doesn't help is that visually, Splitgate is an eye-sore. The art style is noisy and the color themes are 2001-level edgy. This becomes a larger problem when their season pass primarily depends on cosmetics that match that art style.

Splitgate has made them a good buck but they shouldn't sink too much into it from here on out. They're obviously great developers so they need to take the Splitgate money/influence and start fresh on a new shooter with what they've learned. They can make a Halo competitor with their mindset and with a couple strong hires and possibly a publishing deal. Though the likely scenario is that they stick with Splitgate and they wither away with their first game.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

A "no-portal" mode for Splitgate would be awesome.  

Use flashy gimmicks to initially capture a large population then introduce a barebones mode that showcases the game’s integrity.  Sounds like a winning formula.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

47 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

I'm still convinced the game is a gimmick and the population will be embarrassingly low by the Spring.

9n5DnuJ.png

Splitgate did get a massive influx of cash recently, and they did say the game is 25% done or something to that affect. So we will just have to see what they do with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RatherSilentMr said:

A "no-portal" mode for Splitgate would be awesome.  

You can switch off all the gimmick movement and portals off in custom games. change a few player traits and it plays almost exactly like a real halo game. Ideally I think portal elements of splitgate should be either on map pick ups or something like a class ability so only one or two players in the game have it then let teams see through friendly portals and then it becomes more of a skill based co-ordination thing than a 'gotcha, where did he come from moment?' when everyone in the game is just spamming portals everywhere. Also the game needs frag grenades.

14 minutes ago, Mad_L3pr3chaun said:

Ideally I think portal elements of splitgate should be either on map pick ups or something like a class ability so only one or two players in the game have it then let teams see through friendly portals and then it becomes more of a skill based co-ordination thing than a 'gotcha, where did he come from moment?

Not including the lone commander, a 9v9 Invasion team is split into two fireteams of 4 (4+4+1=9).  The leader of each fireteam can open a portal to the other, allowing players to rapidly shift positions, collapse on enemies, or even bait and switch.  

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Not including the lone commander, a 9v9 Invasion team is split into two fireteams of 4 (4+4+1=9).  The leader of each fireteam can open a portal to the other, allowing players to rapidly shift positions, collapse on enemies, or even bait and switch.  

You could go even further with this and make a 'coach' or RTS commander position on each team that doesnt have an in-game avatar, has a birds eye view of the map and is the only person who can open and close portals for their players and manipulate the map to a certain degree maybe even give people camo and overshields on a cooldown as well with different RTS abilities. Something to really push the game towards a unique experience.

I'm just gonna drop this here and let you guys enjoy this one.

• WutFace (+0) 7

1 hour ago, potetr said:

9n5DnuJ.png

Not sure what this is trying to prove. This chart looks exactly the same for literally every arena FPS right now.

The idea that Splitgate should get rid of portals is laughable. Guys, a gimmick is something thrown into the game to check a box for marketing. If a game is completely based around portals then portals can't be a "gimmick". You can dislike them, but they are part of the skill of the game. Personally I like them, however I also realise that unless I'm a 15 year old I'm never going to be able to compete in a game like that at a high level, but I'll still play it for fun. Now, sliding and clamber? THAT is a gimmick. No idea WTF they thought they were doing adding that trash to the game. The CoD kids they're trying to appeal to aren't gonna stay and the people that actually like Splitgate for arena style gameplay and will actually play the game for long term aren't going to like it.

Rather than asking for Splitgate without portals you might as well just play plenty of the other Quake/UT clones like Toxikk, Warsow, Nexuiz, Xonotic, Reflex, etc, etc, etc. There's too many to keep track of. They all meet the same fate.

44 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You're almost describing Natural Selection here. It's a great game, but very tiny population these days. Very underrated asymmetrical multiplayer FPS where a team of marines fight off aliens and have to build defenses and stuff and one player can be the commander and support the marines by expanding the base, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mow said:

I'm just gonna drop this here and let you guys enjoy this one.

That is so hard to read. 

The BR in infinite is apparently a power weapon and if you spawned with one there would be no reason to move around the map. 

These are the people 343 is making the game for. 

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, xSociety said:

That is so hard to read. 

The BR in infinite is apparently a power weapon and if you spawned with one there would be no reason to move around the map. 

This does make me think about how they really do need to Flight the competitive settings so they can get some real feedback from the competitive side of things. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

Not sure what this is trying to prove. This chart looks exactly the same for literally every arena FPS right now.

The idea that Splitgate should get rid of portals is laughable. Guys, a gimmick is something thrown into the game to check a box for marketing. If a game is completely based around portals then portals can't be a "gimmick". You can dislike them, but they are part of the skill of the game.

It shows that Splitgate fares poorly and it's "Portals!"-fueled popularity looks to be brief, like @Geaux Andrew said.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NAK said:

This does make me think about how they really do need to Flight the competitive settings so they can get some real feedback from the competitive side of things. 

They literally don't care about the competitive scene or settings. Sure, they will throw money at it as long as they see a decent ROI, and get the idiots who get excited for it who think that it means anything all hyped up.

Halo Infinite is going to have the same competitive scene as Halo 5 with all the same pros, so just be prepared for that. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, potetr said:

It shows that Splitgate fares poorly and it's "Portals!"-fueled popularity looks to be brief, like @Geaux Andrew said.

Toxikk fared poorly too and there wasn't really anything wrong with it. Arena shooters just aren't popular anymore.

Did that trailer get you rock hard? It sure as hell made gave me the world biggest erection and this game held a population for about 2 weeks.

Zoomers do not want to play a game that requires skill. This is proven time and time and time again. They want a skinner box full of loot crates and gambling disguised as a game. Their brains have been completely rewired by the instant gratification awarded by the internet. Unless the planet is hit with an EMP blast and all the Silicon Valley nerds starve to death in the aftermath so we ensure we never end up with social media and loot crates again we're unlikely to ever see this sort of game become fashionable in the near future. From this point on (ok, more like 10 years ago) this is a niche genre that is borderline extinct.

Splitgate could remove portals entirely from the game and it wouldn't make a significant dent to the population because there are no random drops that hack the human brain with random digital rewards.

https://www.popneuro.com/neuromarketing-blog/psychology-neuroscience-fortnite-dopamine-rewards-addiction-e-sports-gamification

7 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

all the Silicon Valley nerds starve to death in the aftermath so we ensure we never end up with social media and loot crates again

If I was President, I would shut Silicon Valley down and empty out all accounts of people who funded it and then split it up via checks mailed to everyone COVID stimulus style. Good luck getting that money back.

Would I get impeached? Hell yeah.

Would media companies character assassinate me? Every single one.

Would it make the world better? You damn bet.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

Toxikk fared poorly too and there wasn't really anything wrong with it. Arena shooters just aren't popular anymore.

Did that trailer get you rock hard? It sure as hell made gave me the world biggest erection and this game held a population for about 2 weeks.

Zoomers do not want to play a game that requires skill. This is proven time and time and time again. They want a skinner box full of loot crates and gambling disguised as a game. Their brains have been completely rewired by the instant gratification awarded by the internet. Unless the planet is hit with an EMP blast and all the Silicon Valley nerds starve to death in the aftermath so we ensure we never end up with social media and loot crates again we're unlikely to ever see this sort of game become fashionable in the near future. From this point on (ok, more like 10 years ago) this is a niche genre that is borderline extinct.

Splitgate could remove portals entirely from the game and it wouldn't make a significant dent to the population because there are no random drops that hack the human brain with random digital rewards.

https://www.popneuro.com/neuromarketing-blog/psychology-neuroscience-fortnite-dopamine-rewards-addiction-e-sports-gamification

I see this said a lot on here and I disagree. It's hard to make arguments like this when games like LoL, DOTA, CSGO, and Apex dominate the PC scene. Console aren't much different with soulslikes and games like Rocket League being very popular. The only reason console doesn't have more "tryhard" fps or strategy games is because controllers are inherently flawed for anything that's not a fighter or racer. Difficult games are still very much popular.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Most arena shooters made in the market today have awful marketing and are made by indie boomers who just copy Quake 3 endlessly without any of the things that kept the casual community playing Quake. Toxikk going "Frag like it's 1999" and all that other shit was cringeworthy and absolutely drove people from the game.

Saying that "Zoomers don't want games that take skill" entirely ignores that most of the most popular games on the market today have insane learning curves to even begin to get good at the game.

Fortnite's building meta and execution requirement has involved insanely since launch to the point that I hear scrubs complaining about people building so fast. League of Legends and Dota 2 are literally the biggest e-sports in the world, with huge casual communities and nobody would argue that there isn't a ridiculous learning curve there. Apex introduced advanced movement to a BR to huge success, and it also has a high skill gap.

Not to mention we're seeing Fighting Games on the rise again. Guilty Gear Strive came out to record popularity. Melty Blood, a game based off an obscure eroge visual novel and the only thing anybody knew about it beforehand was "poverty fighter" and "dripless" was hugely successful on PC alone. I'd also bet on KoF XV getting huge with Terry in Smash and rollback for XV. And none of these games have loot boxes or really anything that's usually used to keep a casual community in the game. Hell, Tekken has garbage net-code and no single-player features at all and is still a top contender.

There is absolutely a place for a new arena shooter in the market, the same that there's a place for a new RTS in the market, or a new game of any skill-based genre you can think of. It's all about marketing and actually making a game worth playing that isn't just a repeat of what came before.

• Like (+1) 9

54 minutes ago, Geaux Andrew said:

If I was President, I would shut Silicon Valley down and empty out all accounts of people who funded it and then split it up via checks mailed to everyone COVID stimulus style. Good luck getting that money back.

Would I get impeached? Hell yeah.

Would media companies character assassinate me? Every single one.

Would it make the world better? You damn bet.

As a Stan for authoritarianism, I approve. 

1 hour ago, xSociety said:

That is so hard to read. 

My favorite:

fIPie0u.jpg

:wutface:

• WutFace (+0) 2