CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, AkaDemiK said:

I’m just confused by their decision making. Confused. When has starting with BR’s stopped anyone for seeking out a sniper/rocket launcher/shotgun/etc. This is bad game design. 

It’s the vehicle Enthusiast. They want to be able to use a Warthog or ghost and be unstoppable unless it’s rockets. The despise any anti vehicle weapons yhlsss they’re non existent. 

23 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

They should just spawn us with no weapons at all if scavenging is so important to the gameplay loop.

I literally had this exact thought in response to reading all the plebs that want AR starts no more than 2 minutes ago, then I come on the forum to see you saying the same thing. Obviously I'm not actually advocating for that, but based on these people's obsession with being completely fucking useless off spawn, you might as well spawn with nothing.

I suspect this issue has a whole lot to do with skill level, the kind of player that prefers AR starts is not likely to be a high skilled player, so they're going to be matched against other low skilled players and so the match can retain some kind of sense of "balance". The problem is that AR starts falls apart when even the tiniest bit of skill or strategy is introduced to the match, leading to huge snowballing issues as you are all well aware of. 

I guess all I can hope is that the game has a custom browser relatively close to launch if not on launch so that I can play some settings that don't actually suck ass.

Funny side note, as I was typing this I had Mikwen's stream on my other monitor, he got H2 SMG starts on Ivory Tower, needless to say after 3 minutes of gettings instantly spawn killed for obvious reasons he rage quit the match and is now waiting for his 4 minute matchmaking ban to finish. lol.

• Like (+1) 2

I think my real problem with their settings is that I have this feeling deep down that they're going to fuck everyone that isn't down to repeat the same mistake for 20 years by making the BR playlist the hardcore playlist and if that isn't the style of game you're trying to play that day you're just not trying to play Infinite because everything else will just be AR/Pistol start nonsense. I am confident though that the first version of their esports settings will have a playlist on day one 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I think my real problem with their settings is that I have this feeling deep down that they're going to fuck everyone that isn't down to repeat the same mistake for 20 years by making the BR playlist the hardcore playlist and if that isn't the style of game you're trying to play that day you're just not trying to play Infinite because everything else will just be AR/Pistol start nonsense. I am confident though that the first version of their esports settings will have a playlist on day one 

Honestly, this is what I'm most bummed about. I didn't have any fun with the beta, but with some different settings, I can see myself having a good time, even if the game is very rough. But if every playlist except HCS is going to be garbage settings? Nah. I like every aspect of Halo, not just comp, and I want to be able to experience the whole game.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I would say that’s true to an extent but only if the skill feels really tough to get into.

That's when you talk about skill floor and skill ceiling, halo 5's skill floor is absurdly high, people quit that game very quickly, the pros ended up sticking with it longer than halo 4 however .

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Halo Infinite really really doesn't like people being able to get more than one kill per magazine. It's like their whole design philosophy is "only power weapon users are allowed to get more than one kill per reload"

I never got a triple kill during the flight. I would have definitely at least copped an overkill if this were halo 3 by now,

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Halo Infinite really really doesn't like people being able to get more than one kill per magazine. It's like their whole design philosophy is "only power weapon users are allowed to get more than one kill per reload"

tbf this was also halo5's philsophy. the h5 pistol could really have used a mag boost to 15

• Upvote (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Halo 5's skill floor is absurdly high, people quit that game very quickly, the pros ended up sticking with it longer than halo 4 however .

None of this happens in a vacuum. It's true Halo 5 didn't have the staying power of previous games, but lets look at a few factors...

1. For starters it needed to maintain it's population for 6 years before the next game when previous games only had to maintain a population for 3 years.

2. Its population was divided between Halo 5 and MCC.

3. Halo had a pretty poor reputation after Halo 4 and the awful launch of MCC.

4. Halo 5 was missing key features on launch such as BTB and Forge and even when a BTB playlist was made it was crappy fan made maps instead of real developer maps.

5. Garbage match making that simply didn't work in many less populated regions which led to players staring at lobby screens instead of actually getting into matches.

6. A lack of after game support to keep people interested. They did give us a few new maps, but most of them were reworks of maps already in the game or Forge crap. The new Warzone maps were mostly copy/paste jobs. We didn't get anything like the Halo 2 map drops that doubled the amount of maps in the game and in many cases were better than what shipped on the disc.

7. Missing game modes such as Oddball that had been fan favourites since Halo 1.

8. No real PC release.

I do think Halo 5 was probably a bit off putting to many casuals because you have enter the Contra Code every time you get into a firefight with someone, but I'd say 343 trying too hard to make Halo 5 into an eSport instead of just making a fun game and allowing a competitive environment to grow around it organically didn't help.

It also needs to be said that gaming itself has changed a lot since then and many gamers simply aren't after arena FPS these days. It's just no longer a popular genre. Perhaps 343 should just continue making their vision of whatever crap they want Halo to be and MS should have another studio make multiplayer only spin off Halo titles that actually play like a classic Halo game instead of giving us these stupid hybrids that no one wants.

Give the Splitgate devs access to the Halo IP and I'm confident we'd get an awesome arena shooter that would have a small but loyal following.

42 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

I never got a triple kill during the flight. I would have definitely at least copped an overkill if this were halo 3 by now,

I think I got a triple kill or overkill when using the gravity hammer (that thing is stupid powerful), but yeah, I felt the same way. Multi-kills are almost impossible to get unless the throw a lucky grenade or use a power weapon. Even double kills are hard to get now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It's depressing seeing so many people on social media praising this game. There is no hope.  And the infinite marketing slogan is Discover Hope.  There IS NO HOPE.

I had more fun with Splitgate. 

Ok I take it back.  The only hope is maybe there will be per-weapon damage modifiers and we can make some really good competitive settings of our own.  But it will suck to have to try so hard to make the game enjoyable. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:53 AM, Cursed Lemon said:

It's like they deliberately set out to make maps that aren't actual interesting play spaces for gun combat, but rEeL iMmErSiOn environments with Swiss cheese architecture and the WRONG kind of verticality, e.g. pulling a Derelict

Sort of like their focus has been art and not game play?

On 9/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, AkaDemiK said:

We were all blessed to witness halo 1-3 in their prime. Blessed. 

While this is true, it is more important that we recognize that our experience allows us to see what is possible today.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, xSociety said:

The sand can get skidmarked by tires and nades bounce just like concrete. Sorry @Boyo

It would be cool if the sand was really sand and could be kicked or blown out (by grenades) and make the geometry different in play.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:42 AM, Meek Meek Meek said:

In their search for immersion™, 343 forgot that a spartan weighs ~1000lbs and should absolutely demolish whatever mounting hardware is keeping those AC units on.

It's interesting that futuristic armor didn't rely on "magnetic" shielding at no weight at all. But I understand the technology back in HCE days really helped minimize modeling challenges by a helmet rather than an actual face.

On 9/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, NavG123 said:

Why are you even playing this shit in the first place?

acceptance is a beautiful thing, yes?

On 9/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, Botheredhat360 said:

This game needs another delay, I suspect a dumpster fire at release. Something like halo 2 mcc release on pc, or the mcc in general lmao 

Do you honestly think it would help at this point? Pick any date for release, any at all, and would it make a difference?

On 9/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Pyroteq said:

I called it. I just played the new map and holy fucking shit. The footage looked bad, but it's actually even worse when playing it.

The Mongoose can just do 90 degree turns at max speed. The Warthog feels like it's fucking hovering. If you hit the tiniest bump you get launched like 5 metres in the air.

How the fuck can the physics be THIS bad?!?!? Halo 1 had a Warthog that felt a bit floaty... But that was 2001 when even racing games had garbage vehicle handling. 20 years later and I can confidently say that Halo 1's vehicle physics from TWO FUCKING DECADES AGO are lightyears better than whatever the hell this is.

Not only do the vehicles handle like shit, but they sound awful too. It's like you hit the accelerator and instantly it sounds like you're red lining a ride on mower.

Things like weapon spawns, disabling sprint, etc, are all things that we can change, but the vehicles having physics on par with a mid 2000's shovelware 3rd person shooter with vehicle sections isn't something we can fix in the settings. 6 years. I can't even.

Speaking of the new map, wow, spawning with the AR on this map sure was fun, especially when you spawn out in the open and you're surrounded by a Ghost and a bunch of players with Battle Rifles and Skewers... I certainly FEEL LIKE A SPARTAN™

At the present state the Halo 5 beta was a million times better than the Halo Infinite beta, it's not even a competition. Halo 5 might have had sprint, thrusters and ground pound and way too much autoaim, but at least the weapon sandbox was decent and getting a kill actually felt satisfying since I actually had to aim somewhere in the general direction of an opponents head instead of just spraying AR's until my magazine is empty and then dying to a single AR shot from the other side of the map.

but... but... the foam...

On 9/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, Botheredhat360 said:

One thing I love about halo infinite so far is the soundtrack, whoever made the music for this game knew what they were doing. 

I can't help thinking that the sound track probably was given the least attention of all aspects of the game.

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

You play poker not because you enjoy poker but because you like money.  

Do you think that some people may play poker for the excitement of the bluff?

Has anyone done a poopoo so hard it was a peepee?

>this is the post that solicits a downvote from NavG123

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

I really think the Halo subreddit is actually worse than Waypoint as far as opinions on the game go.

I don't think this is a controversal opinion, but somoene would have to run that by reddit and ask what they think of Waypoint

1 hour ago, Hootspa said:

Absolutely

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Posts like this are why 343 doesn't listen to this forum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

1 minute ago, NavG123 said:

Posts like this are why 343 doesn't listen to this forum.

Ok now I finally understand the downvote and agree. @moe please ban me for being toxic or some shit

20 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

I really think the Halo subreddit is actually worse than Waypoint as far as opinions on the game go.

Reddit is the worst thing to happen to internet discourse. The upvote system literally encourages echo chambers and the downvote system encourages self censorship of anything that can be considered "wrongthink". I unironically believe Facebook comments and YouTube comments have more intelligence in them than your typical Reddit thread.

Reddit is the type of forum system George Orwell would have wrote about in 1984 if the internet had existed at the time.

I could go on for pages about how trash the website is, but in regards to gaming I really wish we could nuke the datacentre that hosts Reddit and go back to forums like this instead of subreddits that are astroturfed to the bullshit and half the moderator team are probably secretly devs or working in partnership with devs/publishers in hopes they'll get some insider info or networking opportunities.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

I'm literally fighting bloom arguments again after 10 years. This shit is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Geaux Andrew said:

If the below three things are done, it would improve the game significantly, enough for me to be addicted (not including fixing the aiming since I don't think that was intentional).

• Remove sprint. At this point, there will be no significant impact.
  • Remove clamber. They might have to make some changes to maps but it breaks the flow of movement too much for it to be worth it. Like someone else said, it solves a problem that it creates.
  • Lower the AR range effectiveness

This game is closer to be a success than Halo 5 due to it relying on less mechanics. If 343 can swallow their pride a tiny bit and make those changes, there's a solid foundation for Infinite to be a cultural success.

This game is so close that it's just a sad story at this point.

Ffs can we stop fucking asking them to remove sprint and clamber? It's not going to happen ever and it's not what's turning this game into a uncompetitive snooze fest. The AR and bloom need to "fixed" then we can worry about other stuff.

Edit: Oh and the fact I can only get one kill with the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pyroteq said:

Reddit is the worst thing to happen to internet discourse. The upvote system literally encourages echo chambers and the downvote system encourages self censorship of anything that can be considered "wrongthink". I unironically believe Facebook comments and YouTube comments have more intelligence in them than your typical Reddit thread.

Reddit is the type of forum system George Orwell would have wrote about in 1984 if the internet had existed at the time.

I could go on for pages about how trash the website is, but in regards to gaming I really wish we could nuke the datacentre that hosts Reddit and go back to forums like this instead of subreddits that are astroturfed to the bullshit and half the moderator team are probably secretly devs or working in partnership with devs/publishers in hopes they'll get some insider info or networking opportunities.

The bigger problem with reddit and consequently most discussion systems with upvote/downvote mechanics isn't so much echo chambers (which happens in almost every system of discourse) but the fact that the most upvoted discussion posts are often 

-What was said first

-What was said with the most self-assuredness

-And what was said in a reasonably well-spoken way, no matter how wrong or right.

Basically, the first person to take out their dick, swing it around a little bit and give a "howdy pardner" will likely accure the most upvotes and become the leading opinion, no matter how small said dick actually is. Reddit will often have top comments and posts that are straight up factually incorrect, but because it was said first and with a degree of confidence it'll stand. This is how reddit got a man killed during the infamous "reddit finds the boston bombers" incident.

Reddit used to not have comments or text posts at all, due to it's original purpose as a mere content aggregate for art, cosplay, music, etc. I do wish it stayed that way.

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

I got triples plenty of times, maybe you’re bad or unlucky? But when facing two full shield opponents it was difficult. I’d be half shields and my pistols bloom was too much, I couldn’t kill them and they’d have their no skill AR and kill me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I'm literally fighting bloom arguments again after 10 years. This shit is ridiculous.

I already tried everyone upvoted the bloom lover, the dude always saying it was balanced etc. 

The worst thing about reddit is the fact that it's userbase almost exclusively consists of these smug, insufferable, resentful little people. Very special types. 

• Like (+1) 3