CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Heal gun, it feels like you are trying to add hero shooter elements into Halo. Not that Halo isn't already a hybrid shooter, I'm just not sure I'm in favor of it. In order for it to be worth using, IMO, it would have to be able to sway a 2v1 situation and treated as a power weapon. Otherwise I just can't see people picking it up, it'll leave you in a 3v4 situation where one person isn't putting out as much damage as everyone else as they are trying to heal the team. 

I would rather some type of recharging equipment be included. A small bubble that would give you and anyone standing in the bubble faster recharge rates for shields, but you could be shot inside and take more damage inside of the bubble so you can't just pop it like the regen in H3 and out BR everyone. 

If the gun didn't have any offensive capability, it would need a very fast weapon switch speed (something Halo needs in general). And what you're describing in the second paragraph is literally the H4 Regen armor ability. Say what you will about loadouts and spawning with abilities, but that thing was well balanced. If it became a piece of on-map equipment, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

If the gun didn't have any offensive capability, it would need a very fast weapon switch speed (something Halo needs in general). And what you're describing in the second paragraph is literally the H4 Regen armor ability. Say what you will about loadouts and spawning with abilities, but that thing was well balanced. If it became a piece of on-map equipment, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

I knew something similar was in one of the games. I just couldn't remember which. It definitely would be a on-map equipment, which I am much more in favor of compared to added guns. 

You could do something like Moira from Overwatch and have something like the sentinel beam recharge shields while damaging enemies. Also not in favor of that, but just bouncing out ideas. 

35 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I knew something similar was in one of the games. I just couldn't remember which. It definitely would be a on-map equipment, which I am much more in favor of compared to added guns. 

You could do something like Moira from Overwatch and have something like the sentinel beam recharge shields while damaging enemies. Also not in favor of that, but just bouncing out ideas. 

I shared a DVR demonstration of  the H4 Regen Field in my last post, in case you didn't see it, which it seems like. I'm with Hard Way on thinking that it was pretty much perfectly balanced.

How about a shield vampirism powerup? Would be way more interesting than dedicated heal guns or regen equipment.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Basu said:

How about a shield vampirism powerup? Would be way more interesting than dedicated heal guns or regen equipment.

Is it a straight conversion like if I 3-4 shot someone do I just get full shields or is it kind of like 1/4 or 1/2 rate. Could be interesting

16 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Is it a straight conversion like if I 3-4 shot someone do I just get full shields or is it kind of like 1/4 or 1/2 rate. Could be interesting

We tested this in the H4 Promod lobbies back in the day and IIRC it was 50% of damage you deal gets returned as shields.

• Like (+1) 1

I totally scrap my healing beam idea in favor of some sort of vampire mechanic. Sounds like it would function way better for gameplay.

Sword

Right Trigger - lunge, no vampirism

Left Trigger - no lunge, vampirism 

CE Planma Rifle. Hit Player: slowing/stun affect like in H1. 

Hit Surface/Wall: Gloo Canon from Prey (2017). Possibly only certain surfaces. 

I've seen others on this board say similar things, but Halo should be looking for weapons that truly expand the weapon sandbox. Variants of the weapons are already have are pointless. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Sword

Right Trigger - lunge, no vampirism

Left Trigger - no lunge, vampirism 

I would give the sword a new mechanic, the ability to deflect bullets, for this you would have to hold down a button to bring the sword into a defensive position sort of like this pixel-art (was the closest thing I could find, didn't look for long)969ceae360.png

You would still be able to kill the sword user while they use this with well placed shots to the head but the sword would deflect any bullets that hit it. I would also make it so the sword has no lunge, tbh I'd completely redo the melee system altogether to make it more like what we saw in CE, although I don't even think that the CE melee system is perfect, it at least had some depth to it instead of the absolute mindless mechanic it ended up becoming as the series went on, but with absolutely no lunge this opens the possibility of players being able to jump and crouch underneath the sword swings of an opposing player and out play them instead of being met with instant death cheese, or best case scenario you manage to death stick the sword user, either way I don't think sword and melee gameplay has ever been as good as it could be...

Other particularities include the swords range and perhaps having increased movement speed with the sword, I know Halo 5 tried to implement that but it ended up being unbalanced because of the other mechanics in the game. Most of these ideas are doomed to never see the light of day but I still have plenty more of them and enjoy seeing what others come up with, maybe with good mod support on MCC PC this community can come together to try out and test some of the less extreme ideas, sort of like we did for Evolved settings in H5?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Basu said:

How about combining multiple of the ideas above, put this vampirism powerup in the form of a gun, say the sentinel beam? The sentinel beam could strip shield from a player and give the wielder of the weapon X amount of the shield that was stripped from the other player, could go much deeper with this mechanic but at what point does it become overly complicated?

If Infinite is really going to be a reboot of the series it will be a great chance for them to slim down the weapon sandbox and really clear out all of the clutter and redundancy. There is no need for Halo to have 1,000 guns like Cod. Have a few weapons with well defined roles and just go absolutely crazy with skins and customization.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

If Infinite is really going to be a reboot of the series it will be a great chance for them to slim down the weapon sandbox and really clear out all of the clutter and redundancy. There is no need for Halo to have 1,000 guns like Cod. Have a few weapons with well defined roles and just go absolutely crazy with skins and customization.  

I do agree with this, for me what makes Halo better than other games is how it balanced simplicity and depth, one of my biggest complaints about 343's Halo games is how they are overly complex but lacking the depth of earlier titles in the series, it's always worth having this in mind when coming up with new ideas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mow said:

I would give the sword a new mechanic, the ability to deflect bullets, for this you would have to hold down a button to bring the sword into a defensive position sort of like this pixel-art (was the closest thing I could find, didn't look for long)969ceae360.png

You would still be able to kill the sword user while they use this with well placed shots to the head but the sword would deflect any bullets that hit it. I would also make it so the sword has no lunge, tbh I'd completely redo the melee system altogether to make it more like what we saw in CE, although I don't even think that the CE melee system is perfect, it at least had some depth to it instead of the absolute mindless mechanic it ended up becoming as the series went on, but with absolutely no lunge this opens the possibility of players being able to jump and crouch underneath the sword swings of an opposing player and out play them instead of being met with instant death cheese, or best case scenario you manage to death stick the sword user, either way I don't think sword and melee gameplay has ever been as good as it could be...

Other particularities include the swords range and perhaps having increased movement speed with the sword, I know Halo 5 tried to implement that but it ended up being unbalanced because of the other mechanics in the game. Most of these ideas are doomed to never see the light of day but I still have plenty more of them and enjoy seeing what others come up with, maybe with good mod support on MCC PC this community can come together to try out and test some of the less extreme ideas, sort of like we did for Evolved settings in H5?

I feel like if the Sword doesn't have lunge than it isn't worth using. In your scenario with the bullet deflecting, I'm imagining that it either completely hides your head, which opens up your body, or it covers more of the body and only partial of your head, which can still lead to headshots. 

Regardless, I just couldn't see a scenario where I would need to be in CE-melee range to 1 hit melee you when the utility weapon (or just a double melee) would be a lot more efficient. 

52 minutes ago, JordanB said:

I feel like if the Sword doesn't have lunge than it isn't worth using. In your scenario with the bullet deflecting, I'm imagining that it either completely hides your head, which opens up your body, or it covers more of the body and only partial of your head, which can still lead to headshots. 

Regardless, I just couldn't see a scenario where I would need to be in CE-melee range to 1 hit melee you when the utility weapon (or just a double melee) would be a lot more efficient. 

That's why I suggested a movement speed increase so that you can close the gap faster on opponents and also get rid of that awkward gameplay moment in which you are chasing someone from behind with your sword just out of range for like 10+ seconds because you both walk the same speed and can't catch up to him. I also like the idea of certain power-weapons or semi-power-weapons having additional bonuses when equipped with the correct power up, so maybe sword-camo would be an intuitive one and work the same way that quick-camo already does in CE with the Assault Rifle.

Edit: Also with the energy sword in 'deflect' stance the sword would be pointed up vertical and centered so that you could shoot between the 2 blades and still achieve headshots and upper chest shots on the sword player charging you, but I would also probably allow the player to crouch while using 'deflect' so you have a bit of maneuverability with the sword and are not forced to sitting in corners watching radar and running in straight lines like Halo 3. Another possibility was that with sword in 'deflect' when another player shoots the sword and bullets are deflected it will slowly drain the swords energy, but at that point is it getting a little overly complicated?

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Mow  A piece of Equipment like Hardlight Shield seems like a better option than adding that type of functionality to a weapon.

20 hours ago, Boyo said:

@Mow  A piece of Equipment like Hardlight Shield seems like a better option than adding that type of functionality to a weapon.

I don't see a big problem with the sword functioning in the way I said, It's a pretty unique weapon anyway, a melee weapon, and the only melee weapon used in any competitive settings. Usually when I'm coming up with an idea for a weapon it's because I'm trying to make it more competitive/interesting but the hard part is keeping the simplicity that Halo is known for, so for me I don't really spend much time thinking about something that would just be a throwaway item in Warzone or something, I like to imagine how it would play at high level, because that's the best way of telling if it is a decent/balanced idea, which then hopefully means that it will most likely play well in casual playlists anyway. As I've stated before though there isn't any real easy way to test even simple idea's atm, but I think that will start to change a lot with mods on PC.

I used to hate the shotgun and everyone that used it until I realised it was the map design that I hated. That's you Isolation CTF.

• Like (+1) 2

Why has there never been a precision rifle with a battery?  Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Needle Rifle, Light Rifle, all need to be reloaded.  I think a baby beam rifle could add an interesting dynamic to gun fights.  It could enforce pacing without sacrificing accuracy.

If there were a battery rifle, how would you want it to behave?

I like the concept, it's a lot better than what we have now. There's way too many precision weapons that are similar too each other. Pistol, BR, DMR, Carbine, LR; basically 5 weapons that all behave extremely similar.

7 minutes ago, JordanB said:

I like the concept, it's a lot better than what we have now. There's way too many precision weapons that are similar too each other. Pistol, BR, DMR, Carbine, LR; basically 5 weapons that all behave extremely similar.

Since the Reload button would be unused on a battery rifle, a secondary fire could be mapped to it.  It could be Halo’s Shock Rifle.

Forerunner weapons could be completely recreated with batteries that can be cooled when you press the reload button, similar to the Plasma Repeater. Making them a bit more unique in how they function would be a nice bonus too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Forerunner weapons could be completely recreated with batteries that can be cooled when you press the reload button, similar to the Plasma Repeater. Making them a bit more unique in how they function would be a nice bonus too.

Go full Tediore.  Make reloading a battery weapon release an offensive attack.