CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

7 minutes ago, Mow said:

What's to stop people spamming shoot melee shoot melee, sounds like more problems than it's worth imo, what would the benefit of such a mechanic even be?

The Mauler has a short effective range so spamming a single enemy would be pointless because he would either be too far away to be damaged or dead from being shot.  The benefit would be the ability to quickly engage multiple enemies at close range but only if you position yourself in such a way that allows you to melee in between each shot.

Plus, it’s not like the Mauler has tons of total ammo and it still needs to be reloaded after a few shots.  I think these restrictions would prevent it from becoming an effective automatic shotgun.

The shotgun has always seemed odd to me. It doesn't compare to the power weapons like the Railgun, Sniper, GL and Rockets in terms of versatility and I always considered it a semi-power weapon that is slightly better than stuff like the Needler. In fact, if a map has a Shotgun as the primary power weapon and gameplay revolves largely around said shotgun then that map usually just sucks and has either too many 90° angles or shit like shield doors and bubble shields(big yikes).

Honestly I'd prefer if the thing was fully moved to the semi-power weapon slot and functioned largely like the H3 Mauler. If we actually get a decent utility with a ~1s TTK (yeah, right) then it might need a buff to even be worth picking up, but I see no way to make the Shotgun be on par with Snipe/Rox/GL/Rail without creating an insanely stupid and brainless cheese tool like the H5 Shotty.

• Like (+1) 1

The Shotgun is one of the few weapons that can stop a lunging sword though.  Unless you no scope him or blow both of you up with rockets, the shotgun is the only true counter to a lunging energy sword.

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I like the idea of using weapons to chain together movement tricks. Like if we had plasma climb and rocket jump it'd be cool to see that stuff paired with air movement control and wall kicks.

These are interesting ideas, but at some point you have to wonder what the benefit of such mechanics would even be, how does it make the gameplay better and at what point do you lose the simplicity that makes Halo 'Halo'? I've thought about many different mechanics for Halo over the years and I think about posting them (I sometimes do post the least complicated ones) to see what other people think about them as ideas, but unfortunately that is all they are, ideas. Personally I do think it is possible to make a modern Halo game that is simple to learn but has deep underlying mechanics like the ones you and others have suggested, CE barely scratches the surface on this imo, but it is hard to prove such a thing without being able to properly test how it would play, this is why I hope that MCC PC, or Infinite PC, has good mod support eventually (PC players are going to demand it anyway, Halo simply has far too much untapped potential) so that we can actually start to test some of these ideas and see how they would impact the gameplay of Halo. For me it is the simplicity but depth that makes Halo 'Halo', easy to learn but hard to master, and I think we could go a lot further on the harder to master part without screwing up the simplicity, it has still yet to be seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

How about if the Needle Rifle could cause supercombines against vehicles but certain sections deflect the needles like the curved front end of a Ghost or Wraith.  Also, supercombines in general should cause a large enough explosion to damage proximate players.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Obviously as a Ce fan I don't agree with the 1.0s killtime and 1.6s baseline for everything.  But it's better than what we have now.

The Shotgun is also the second major point I diverge on.  Make it a two-shot...fine.  But in that case the firing rate should let it's two-shot TTK come close to the utilities perfect while far exceeding the average (if the perfect TTK of the utility is 1.0s and the average is 1.6s, the Shotgun should near always kill in 1.2s), and it should have decent two-shot range so it can still be used as a finisher and not have to rely on lameass point blank melee-comboing to do anything (we already have the AR for that???).  Otherwise it's just a weakass weapon that will nearly always lose to the utility anyways, either by virtue of being far too slow to kill even within it's own effective range or far too easy to stay out of range of.  If you want the mauler then add the mauler separately and let customs / maps sort it out, don't obliterate a perfectly good weapon.  I would also suggest letting it retain OSK on centered-headshot-all-pellets only, just so it's still powerful just not as braindead.

The other ideas I have no problem with.  A weak sentinel beam would have a very unique place in a projectile sandbox.  Fixed PR and Concussion Rifle Blast Jumping are things I've suggested a lot as well.

6 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

For the record, I want to reiterate what my ideal Halo would be.

The utility weapon, whatever shape and form it may take, should be a 100% accurate single shot, have a one second perfect kill time, and a two second max kill time. The skill it should take to get a perfect kill should be considerable, which would make its average kill time around 1.6 seconds. Now, for this to be ideal, the base movement speed and strafe need to be smooth and fast, so players can outgun their opponent, or opponents, thus giving a large amount of individual empowerment. Every other weapon needs to be balanced around this gun, and should not have a kill time faster than it, unless it is a Power Weapon. This essentially means that at a certain point, someone can be so good with this weapon that they won't need anything else other than Power Weapons or Power Ups. And that's where my next point starts.

Rockets, Sniper, Shotgun, OS, Camo. These are highly contested items in the sandbox, and are usually in places where teams frequently fight each other. In my personal vision of Halo, my tweaks are as follows; The Rocket Launcher would fire slowly, requiring a full second for the next rocket to fire, and would have decent splash damage. The Sniper Rifle would have a considerable but static upward recoil after firing, to teach players to aim for the head rather than doing two body shots. Shotguns will never kill in one shot, which means people will need to be close enough for a melee followup, or stay back enough for two shots, which gives the other player a chance to fight back. I want two versions of the Overshield, one that makes you invulnerable while it slowly gives you one layer, and the other will give you two layers instantly. Camouflage will only keep you fully cloaked when you are moving, and the noises you make aren't dampened by the Power Up, which means players have sound to look for it instead of straining their eyes.

Niche Weapons would have to be functionally easy, but their kill times nowhere near the perfect kill time of the utility. The Sentinel Beam would be this weak but incredibly suppressive poke at players to keep their shields from charging. The Plasma Rifle would need its stun back, along with its shots having no random spread. The Grenade Launcher will only kill a player if it is right on top of the grenade, and would have half of the splash radius of the Rocket Launcher. The Concussion Rifle would have its rate of fire and damage decreased, but its propelling capabilities doubled, effectively making it your own personal rocket jump or plasma wall climb from Quake.

So, there it is. What are your thoughts?

In terms of "competitive" weapon sandbox, I think I would be happy with what you posted with the exeption of the sniper which I'll detail a little firther below. I would change some things though.

One criticism of your sandbox you proposed from the way you described it is that I feel half of your sandbox wouldn't get used. Not necessarily the end of the world, as long as the good weapons are worth grabbing and are fun I don't care that much.

I'm with Hard Way that the shotgun needs to be better. I went back and watched a couple games of Halo 1 picked at random and I don't see this supreme strength you see. If you wish to give less ammo in the gun and less ammo to reload with, I'd be fine with that. If you want to make it not kill no shield opponents at distance I could accept that as well. But I feel if I'm right in front of the guy I should get an instant kill.

Curiosity, does anybody know how long you have to wait to shoot a zecond rocket in other Halos? A second doesn't feel that long to me.

I like the way the sniper works now, and I hate recoil in arena shooters. If our goal is to encourage aiming for the head more than we already do I'd rather search for a different solution. Incredibly slow rate of fire maybe? I'd even rather force you to desope between shots rather than force a recoil.

Camo being at its strongest when moving is weird to me. I feel it's counter intuitive. I also don't like rewarding keeping your audio cranked. I think I get where you're coming from, you don't want somebody sitting there doing nothing with camo just so they remain hidden. I can't necessarily suggest a better solution, but I think I'd rather keep camo as is.

I'm confused how the sentinel beam works. If it's weak is it really a suppressive force? I understand it virtually blocks somebody from walking around a corner if they see it unless they want to take damage. But why would I be scared if my utility weapon can down the weak weapon?

Finally the concussion rifle. I'm kind of iffy. Depending on the map I feel it would be incredibly useless or way too good. For movement potential, I'm imagining it only really benefits vertical maps (Prisoner, Damnation, Countdown, etc.). But as somebody who likes narrow walkways on maps, and wants fall damage back in Halo. I'm nervous it would primarily be used for blasting somebody off a walkway which I'm not sure I'd be down for. Limiting the ammo could be one way to help prevent this. Or maybe this niche weapon acts more like a power weapon on some maps?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

Obviously as a Ce fan I don't agree with the 1.0s killtime and 1.6s baseline for everything.  But it's better than what we have now.

The Shotgun is also the second major point I diverge on.  Make it a two-shot...fine.  But in that case the firing rate should let it's two-shot TTK come close to the utilities perfect while far exceeding the average (if the perfect TTK of the utility is 1.0s and the average is 1.6s, the Shotgun should near always kill in 1.2s), and it should have decent two-shot range so it can still be used as a finisher and not have to rely on lameass point blank melee-comboing to do anything (we already have the AR for that???).  Otherwise it's just a weakass weapon that will nearly always lose to the utility anyways, either by virtue of being far too slow to kill even within it's own effective range or far too easy to stay out of range of.  If you want the mauler then add the mauler separately and let customs / maps sort it out, don't obliterate a perfectly good weapon.  I would also suggest letting it retain OSK on centered-headshot-all-pellets only, just so it's still powerful just not as braindead.

The other ideas I have no problem with.  A weak sentinel beam would have a very unique place in a projectile sandbox.  Fixed PR and Concussion Rifle Blast Jumping are things I've suggested a lot as well.

I kinda like the current sandbox of h5, but the abilities and everything just make it bad. The AR does bad damage to the body but to the head it’s pretty good. 

56 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

The Shotgun is also the second major point I diverge on.  Make it a two-shot...fine.  But in that case the firing rate should let it's two-shot TTK come close to the utilities perfect

It will do that, considering it is based on the Halo 3 Shotgun's rate of fire, which is exactly one second per round.

and it should have decent two-shot range so it can still be used as a finisher and not have to rely on lameass point blank melee-comboing to do anything (we already have the AR for that???).

Halo 3's Shotgun range for a two shot kill is 8 meters, but the spread of the shells would be static in my ideal version of the gun. The Assault Rifle doesn't exist in my Halo, but the Plasma Rifle with stun shares some of the CQC traits of the Shotgun.

Otherwise it's just a weakass weapon that will nearly always lose to the utility anyways, either by virtue of being far too slow to kill even within it's own effective range or far too easy to stay out of range of.

The Shotgun won't lose to someone with the utility if the user performs in its intended range. The only nerf to it is the one hit kill capabilities, and it certainly wouldn't become obsolete because of such a small change. Need I remind you that Maulers are still very popular to grab even to this day.

If you want the mauler then add the mauler separately and let customs / maps sort it out, don't obliterate a perfectly good weapon.  I would also suggest letting it retain OSK on centered-headshot-all-pellets only, just so it's still powerful just not as braindead.

I will do no such thing for the sandbox I want.

4 minutes ago, Silos said:

One criticism of your sandbox you proposed from the way you described it is that I feel half of your sandbox wouldn't get used. Not necessarily the end of the world, as long as the good weapons are worth grabbing and are fun I don't care that much.

On the contrary! If the half of my sandbox you're referring to is the Niche Weapons, I think you're underestimating them greatly. Stun from the Plasma Rifle has already been shown to be quite effective in CE. The Sentinel Beam is like a more challenging but fair Plasma Pistol, and can be used in almost all ranges. The version of the Grenade Launcher I mentioned is almost exactly the stats of the original version from Reach, and is very much a popular and loved weapon. The Concussion Rifle basically makes your movement options skyrocket, and also can be a huge deterrent for your enemies.

I'm with Hard Way that the shotgun needs to be better. I went back and watched a couple games of Halo 1 picked at random and I don't see this supreme strength you see. If you wish to give less ammo in the gun and less ammo to reload with, I'd be fine with that. If you want to make it not kill no shield opponents at distance I could accept that as well. But I feel if I'm right in front of the guy I should get an instant kill.

The strength of the Shotgun in CE can be measured by players who, bluntest way to put it, play like bitches. You may not have found evidence in your run of searching for it, but it is a very real thing that happens. If you can't trust my word, at least acknowledge the scenarios I gave to Hard Way, for they are highly possible.

Curiosity, does anybody know how long you have to wait to shoot a zecond rocket in other Halos? A second doesn't feel that long to me.

CE actually has a longer time between rockets than my own suggestion. Every other version of the Rocket Launchers have much faster times.

I like the way the sniper works now, and I hate recoil in arena shooters. If our goal is to encourage aiming for the head more than we already do I'd rather search for a different solution. Incredibly slow rate of fire maybe? I'd even rather force you to desope between shots rather than force a recoil.

Let's get this out of the way; Halo is not an arena shooter. It is a hybrid of many different branches of shooter mechanics, one of them being predictable recoil. The other suggestions you give are more obtuse to designing an already powerful weapon. I believe a completely consistent vertical jump after a bullet is fired would be the way to balance the gun. After all, the most popular version of the Sniper Rifle has this same rule, albeit not as prevalent.

Camo being at its strongest when moving is weird to me. I feel it's counter intuitive. I also don't like rewarding keeping your audio cranked. I think I get where you're coming from, you don't want somebody sitting there doing nothing with camo just so they remain hidden. I can't necessarily suggest a better solution, but I think I'd rather keep camo as is.

Camouflage is meant to be an aggressive Power Up, and I want to nullify players who use it to, as I said before, play like bitches. Audio has become much more meaningful in the gaming world, and not having it on is a bigger problem. I wouldn't make it where you need headphones to hear player's footsteps, but if you have to play with the audio down, you're accepting that you won't play completely aware already.

I'm confused how the sentinel beam works. If it's weak is it really a suppressive force? I understand it virtually blocks somebody from walking around a corner if they see it unless they want to take damage. But why would I be scared if my utility weapon can down the weak weapon?

As I mentioned before, the Sentinel Beam is a challenging but fair Plasma Pistol. This also goes for the "Noob Combo" method, as you can drain a player of their shields and easily switch to your utility to finish them off. The added range also makes it useful as a sentry from afar, or to give a visible mark for your team where you last saw the enemy.

Finally the concussion rifle. I'm kind of iffy. Depending on the map I feel it would be incredibly useless or way too good. For movement potential, I'm imagining it only really benefits vertical maps (Prisoner, Damnation, Countdown, etc.). But as somebody who likes narrow walkways on maps, and wants fall damage back in Halo. I'm nervous it would primarily be used for blasting somebody off a walkway which I'm not sure I'd be down for. Limiting the ammo could be one way to help prevent this. Or maybe this niche weapon acts more like a power weapon on some maps?

The Concussion Rifle would need certain maps to accommodate it, yes. Its strength lies more on where you can send yourself, or your enemy, which is something Halo hasn't tried doing seriously. It can definitely open its own window of meta, and being nervous about it is expected. I'm not really into fall damage myself, rather I think the punishment of falling down to lower floors is enough.

Responses in bold italics.

I think if you want to encourage not spamming body shots with the sniper you can just lower the fire rate a bit. With a slower fire rate, descope, and a utility that’s actually a threat at a distance not hitting the headshot will be punished plenty and I agree that a heavy recoil would feel out of place in Halo.

Ont the topic of the shotgun, I still think it should be one hit within a certain range. If you have to follow up with a melee to get a kill with it you’re pretty much guaranteeing  you’re either trading kills or coming out one hit even if you use the gun perfectly within its own niche. I don’t see that being worth picking up. No radar and fast spawning power items that encourage movement punish camping enough. Also, if the strafe is fast enough you can still make people whiff a shotgun blast or at least only get a partial hit negating it’s one hit potential and with a fast killing utility that will be punished and make one hit kills feel less cheesy and more earned. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LI Mr X IL said:

I think if you want to encourage not spamming body shots with the sniper you can just lower the fire rate a bit. With a slower fire rate, descope, and a utility that’s actually a threat at a distance not hitting the headshot will be punished plenty and I agree that a heavy recoil would feel out of place in Halo.

Ont the topic of the shotgun, I still think it should be one hit within a certain range. If you have to follow up with a melee to get a kill with it you’re pretty much guaranteeing  you’re either trading kills or coming out one hit even if you use the gun perfectly within its own niche. I don’t see that being worth picking up. No radar and fast spawning power items that encourage movement punish camping enough. Also, if the strafe is fast enough you can still make people whiff a shotgun blast or at least only get a partial hit negating it’s one hit potential and with a fast killing utility that will be punished and make one hit kills feel less cheesy and more earned. 

There’s a big problem when you try to punish body shots. How slow we talking here? If you want it to be that punishing then make it a 1 shot sniper. 

being able to trade a beatdown with shotgun is stupid. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

There’s a big problem when you try to punish body shots. How slow we talking here? If you want it to be that punishing then make it a 1 shot sniper. 

I disagree. I think there’s a big problem when shooting two body shots is as effective as going for a head shot while being much easier to do. The time for two sniper body shots should not be less than the perfect kill time of the utility weapon. If my opponent misses the head shot and I hit all perfect shots with my utility I should be able to secure the kill before they get a second shot.

Edit: In fact, this is pretty much how the utility should be balanced and all other weapons balanced around it. If I use a map pick up weapon perfectly for its intended purpose I should kill the player using their utility. If I mess up even slightly though and the player with the utility places perfect shots they should get the kill to punish my mistakes with the pickup weapon. However, if they mess up even slightly with the utility then I should get a second chance with my map pickup to punish their mistakes with the utility. That to me is balance. (Before someone rips this apart I understand that it is a very simplified way of balancing and there are a lot of other factors that go into balancing but I think it is a very important principle that goes into balancing Halo and is part of what makes it unique in the competitive FPS scene.)

I'm perfectly fine with a shotgun with a one hit kill range. I don't know what you guys are smoking.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

CE's Shotgun has an absurd amount of ammo in the magazine, and is plenty abused in half of the competitive lineup. Chill Out has many corners you can utilize in the heat of a fight, Rat Race has the two-way portals for you to effectively cheese with, and Damnation has an ugly combination of the two, not to mention said combination are the only two ways to get up top.

This literally does not happen in Halo CE, for no other reason than it's hardly ever a good idea. Shotgun camping might get you somewhere in Halo 3 on Cold Storage, where the game has no flow or focal point because overshield and rockets are pathetic and nothing is on a consistent timer. In Chill Out, shotgun camping *anywhere* is a great way to lose all the important powerups/power weapons and get naded and/or pistoled to death from whatever direction you aren't looking.

Anyone who stands right in front of the portals on Rat Race and feels cheated when a shotgun guy comes through and blows their balls off in one hit is a moron, and deserves to have it happen to them over and over again.

The Damnation portal connects bottom red and the far end of top snipe. Nobody in their right mind is going to sit bottom red for a second longer than absolutely necessary, because it's a bad place to be. Sitting at the top end of the portal with a shotgun isn't a sound decision when you could be hanging at top shotguns for some cover and multiple angles on whoever comes through, or better yet, staying back at green, helping block those spawns, nading portal periodically, and using a sniper or pistol when attackers are on that bridge with no cover. If you do get somebody once with a shotgun at top portal, they'll get wise to it (unless they're dumb), and they'll step out to waterfalls and pick you off. There is no shotgun abuse in Damnation. Sounds to me like you're describing problems with Penance from Reach and attributing them to Damnation in CE. But they do not play the same way.

The strength of the Shotgun in CE can be measured by players who, bluntest way to put it, play like bitches. You may not have found evidence in your run of searching for it, but it is a very real thing that happens. If you can't trust my word, at least acknowledge the scenarios I gave to Hard Way, for they are highly possible.

This is silly. First of all, again, no one does this. Second of all, playing mad scientist with the shotgun (and camo) in the name of punishing people who "play like bitches" is among the worst, most subjective rationale imaginable for that kind of decision. For starters, everyone's definition of playing "like a bitch" is different. Tons of people who lose accuse the winners of playing like bitches just because the winners won and the loser had no idea how to counter. In the past week I've gotten two different messages calling me a pussy for always being in green on Damnation and always having a sniper. Should green on Damnation have a 10 second soft-kill barrier put around it, and the sniper rifle explode if it's been your hands for too long, as an anti-pussy fallback measure to punish people like me for not doing regular laps around the entire map?

Camouflage is meant to be an aggressive Power Up, and I want to nullify players who use it to, as I said before, play like bitches. Audio has become much more meaningful in the gaming world, and not having it on is a bigger problem. I wouldn't make it where you need headphones to hear player's footsteps, but if you have to play with the audio down, you're accepting that you won't play completely aware already.

Again. Completely unnecessary, unintuitive changes to a mechanic done in the name of curing some mysterious, subjective plague of people "playing like bitches".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

19 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Responses in bold italics.

If you think the H1 shotty and the H5 shotty are even in the same stratosphere of abuse, then you haven’t watched enough comp H1. It’s not close.

I agree the mag size is crazy large, but I’ve never even come close to working my way through a full magazine. Everything else is theorycraft that doesn’t play out that way in game. Everything else is too strong to abuse the shotgun like you see in other games. That’s why you never see it done. No one would consider it a power weapon except maybe on Longest.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Camo and the Shotty are "playing like a bitch" but soundwhoring is just part of the game? What? :wutface:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

15 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

On the contrary! If the half of my sandbox you're referring to is the Niche Weapons, I think you're underestimating them greatly. Stun from the Plasma Rifle has already been shown to be quite effective in CE. The Sentinel Beam is like a more challenging but fair Plasma Pistol, and can be used in almost all ranges. The version of the Grenade Launcher I mentioned is almost exactly the stats of the original version from Reach, and is very much a popular and loved weapon. The Concussion Rifle basically makes your movement options skyrocket, and also can be a huge deterrent for your enemies.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of H1, the PR I'm fine with. Pretty much only the weapons I mentioned were ones I was nervous about. Specifically shotgun, sentinel beam, and concussion rifle although I'll get more into sentinel beam and concussion rifle below and how I think my mind has changed a bit. Grenade launcher and PR is cool. In fact it seems the PR gets a small buff if there's no spread.

I agree that when it happens, it's frustrating. And in theory it sucks. I just don't see it happening often when I play so it's tough for me to say we should nerf something when no matter what level I play at it seems nobody plays like that because it's not an effective strategy. I've played social MCC which is incredibly low level, I've played with locals who know the basics of the game but they're not phenomenal by any stretch, I played against some phenomenal players at UGC St Louis, nobody played the way you're describing. In fact, at the low-mid level play I was describing most of them think the shotgun is underpowered. Does somebody camp occasionally and get a free kill? For sure, but it's just as frustrating when somebody camps a corner and gets a free backsmack, or they put you one or two shots down before you can turn around.

CE actually has a longer time between rockets than my own suggestion. Every other version of the Rocket Launchers have much faster times.

Okay this works for me. I played Halo 1 for a long time yesterday so when you said one second I thought that felt really fast, I knew Halo 1 was slow but I didn't know if it was actually slower, I'm sure it feels like an eternity when I'm about to die after missing a rocket.

Let's get this out of the way; Halo is not an arena shooter. It is a hybrid of many different branches of shooter mechanics, one of them being predictable recoil. The other suggestions you give are more obtuse to designing an already powerful weapon. I believe a completely consistent vertical jump after a bullet is fired would be the way to balance the gun. After all, the most popular version of the Sniper Rifle has this same rule, albeit not as prevalent.

Fair enough, I don't like recoil in my arena-esque shooters then. Descoping the weapon is obtuse, I can agree with that, but I would still prefer that over considerable recoil, or at least in my head I would prefer it. I feel a sniper can be incredibly hard to use without needing recoil, so I don't see a problem with rewarding two body shots the same as a headshot, I want this thing to be original Halo 1 hard though.

Let me throw out a theoretical. What's the difference between a guy sitting in a corner fully cloaked with a sniper, and a guy wiggling back and forth in a corner fully cloaked with a sniper? I feel you're just adding an unnecessary execution tax to the game. In terms of not playing aggressive, both situations I suggested are annoying. In terms of somebody coming around a corner and meeting a camo-shotgun wielding player around the corner, it would be just as annoying no matter which camo version we have. Depending how strong you're theoretical camo is, it would definitely let you move across the map more effectively though when opponents are not close by, but I feel some of the series current strong camos already allow for that.

Since we're on the subject as well, how loud would you make footsteps? Let's say I'm P2 on Midship and I'm standing against the wall, how far away are you suggesting people are before I can hear them? Are they within P2? Is it a sphere surrounding me and I can hear them around the ramps, P3, and P1? Maybe a foot or two outside of P2?

As I mentioned before, the Sentinel Beam is a challenging but fair Plasma Pistol. This also goes for the "Noob Combo" method, as you can drain a player of their shields and easily switch to your utility to finish them off. The added range also makes it useful as a sentry from afar, or to give a visible mark for your team where you last saw the enemy.

So the sentinel beam could melt your shields effectively, but you're probably not going to kill with the sentinel beam. It would be great to combat overshield with my current interpretation of what you mean. If so, I can see how that would be useful, I assume it's not an instant shield drop right? It would suck to get crossmapped by a constant beam when you have overshield and immediately lose it.

The Concussion Rifle would need certain maps to accommodate it, yes. Its strength lies more on where you can send yourself, or your enemy, which is something Halo hasn't tried doing seriously. It can definitely open its own window of meta, and being nervous about it is expected. I'm not really into fall damage myself, rather I think the punishment of falling down to lower floors is enough.

When I was lanning Halo 1 yesterday, somebody hit me with a rocket when I had OS top cat on Damnation and while it didn't kill me, it knocked me off and on to the sniper perch and the fall damage killed me. I thought it was cool so fall damage was on my mind. I was initially imagining the concussion rifle on Wizard/Warlock/Warlord which made me baffled why you would ever pick it up, but more thoughts on some of the cool moments that could be created have changed my mind. I guess I'll sum up my thoughts on the matter as it's something that I would maybe end up ripping out after trying it, but the concept sounds cool and I would love to see it included to see to see how it plays. I'm sure there would be at least one map where it would be fun to use, and if nothing else I'm sure there could be awesome jump maps with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

I have a question. Why is the ideal utility kill time 1 sec? Is there something wrong with it being .6 like the pistol or even a little slower but still faster than a second? 

34 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I have a question. Why is the ideal utility kill time 1 sec? Is there something wrong with it being .6 like the pistol or even a little slower but still faster than a second? 

Faster base movement and a strong strafe is already a good start, but I also like a less spammy single shot utility. I also want to give players the ability to make reversals against more than one enemy, which means missing shots become more punishing.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard no to recoil on a Sniper Rifle it should be projectile and having to lead is what balances it.

Faster base movement and a strong strafe is already a good start, but I also like a less spammy single shot utility. I also want to give players the ability to make reversals against more than one enemy, which means missing shots become more punishing.

I would argue that having an even faster perfect minimum killtime of .6 or so like CE would allow for more practical reversals against multiple opponents. If you can outstrafe and melt them fast enough, they have less time to react and teamshot/clean you up. Also, I am pretty sure that the longer killtimes of literally every Halo after CE up to this point have been established to cause teamshot to be very clearly overpowered.

Also in the context of CE, such a hyper-lethal utility weapon more than keeps power weapons in check. I don't care how OP the Shotgun and Sniper seem in relation to later incarnations, the CE Pistol can and WILL punish them hard.

For reference, 5 straight bodyshots alone is enough to put down someone coming at you with a Shotgun (let alone the perfect 3sk). Compare that to even a ZB Reach DMR of similar fire rate, which would need those same 5 shots just to make it's perfect minimum killtime with a headshot and 7 if it is all bodyshots. That is a pretty stark contrast IMO.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 4/12/2019 at 2:05 AM, TeeJaY said:

New power weapon idea I've thought about for the past week:  Shield Replenisher

Functionality:  Shoots a continuous beam that replenishes the shield of a teammate. Beam must be directly hitting your teammate to take effect (aim assist will be applied to your teammates for the purposes of this weapon).

Design Goal:  To introduce new ways to support teammates besides pure firepower. This would hopefully bring a new tactical element to matches by sacrificing firepower for increased survivablility of your teammates.

Playstyle:  Ideally the wielder would stay away from direct combat while keeping one or multiple teammates in their line of sight to assist when needed.

But How Powerful?  I'm thinking that it should replenish one's shield around the same rate as Halo 3's regenerator, maybe faster. This would give your teammate a mostly guaranteed victory in a 1v1, and he would also stand a much better chance in a 1v2/1v3 scenario. However, just like with Halo 3's regen, focus fire from multiple enemies will be his demise.

Other details: This weapon has limited ammo and does not overheat. Has no effect on enemies. In the case of there being more than one shield replenisher on the map, these effects do not stack. Does not replenish an overshield.

Can I get any opinions? Could this be viable? OP? Pointless? @Boyo what do you think?

I'm not so sure about a heal gun that works on players, but I would love a Fusion Cutter (lol) for vehicles if they maintain the health system kept since Reach.

I would rather have the H4 Regen Field back in the form of equipment for healing players though. It has a split second delay before healing so that it can't out-heal taking damage. Without removing a player's offensive capabilities like a direct heal gun might, the H4 Regen allows you to anchor a position without making players outright unkillable like it did in H3.

For reference:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/smartan-427/video/30802195

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure how I feel about the Heal gun, it feels like you are trying to add hero shooter elements into Halo. Not that Halo isn't already a hybrid shooter, I'm just not sure I'm in favor of it. In order for it to be worth using, IMO, it would have to be able to sway a 2v1 situation and treated as a power weapon. Otherwise I just can't see people picking it up, it'll leave you in a 3v4 situation where one person isn't putting out as much damage as everyone else as they are trying to heal the team. 

I would rather some type of recharging equipment be included. A small bubble that would give you and anyone standing in the bubble faster recharge rates for shields, but you could be shot inside and take more damage inside of the bubble so you can't just pop it like the regen in H3 and out BR everyone.