CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

My approach towards a healing/support weapon would be a little different. I'd keep it as a beam type weapon, but it needs energy leached off of targets in order to heal at all.

Attack someone with it, and all the cumulative health and shield damage can be added to a teammate, even giving them an overshield effect if their health is already full. Damaging targets costs energy, but giving a health bump costs none. Giving an offensive prerequisite for healing would balance off the weapon nicely in my opinion, and keep the player from playing entirely passive.

• Fire (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Is it really that inappropriate? Energy shields are a huge part of Halo, and we already have things like OS.

Yes. This isn't Pokemon. You want to heal, either find a health pack or overshield on the map or wait for your shields to come back on their own. No teammates casting healing beams on each other. Might as well have them announce their attacks like Goku or that grunt robot abomination from Warzone.

• Like (+1) 2

@The Tyco is on to something there. Reworking the sentinel beam into that would be dope. Let the zoom button toggle between damage and healing (so, no actual zoom). Design the weapon so like a glass canister on top fills as you deal damage and looks all glowy and cool the more it fills, to let you know how much healing you’ve earned. The canister could even decay over time to prevent players from walking around too long with a bunch of pocket healing, and force them to engage more often to get their healing. This also accomplished the goal of making people give a shit about the sentinel beam. Let’s be honest, it was fun on Warlord but not cut and dry worth risking your life for.

@Silos I wouldn’t bother making the weapon unless it had that dual function. If I wanted it to be strictly offensive, I would just put that on the carbine and raise its TTK but have it keep shields down way longer than other weapons.

As for corrosive, DoT damage in shooters, the fire-types in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, and the poison mine from Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (best 2v2 game of all time, fight me) come to mind.

• Like (+1) 2

New idea. Single fire precision weapon. Hitscan and consistent. Small reticle. Low AA/BM. About a 1 second kill time. Small weapon model. Would be used primarily and everyone spawns with it. Lmk thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

New idea. Single fire precision weapon. Hitscan and consistent. Small reticle. Low AA/BM. About a 1 second kill time. Small weapon model. Would be used primarily and everyone spawns with it. Lmk thoughts. 

Why don't you get the fuck out of here with these ridiculous, wildly unrealistic ideas

For the record, I want to reiterate what my ideal Halo would be.

The utility weapon, whatever shape and form it may take, should be a 100% accurate single shot, have a one second perfect kill time, and a two second max kill time. The skill it should take to get a perfect kill should be considerable, which would make its average kill time around 1.6 seconds. Now, for this to be ideal, the base movement speed and strafe need to be smooth and fast, so players can outgun their opponent, or opponents, thus giving a large amount of individual empowerment. Every other weapon needs to be balanced around this gun, and should not have a kill time faster than it, unless it is a Power Weapon. This essentially means that at a certain point, someone can be so good with this weapon that they won't need anything else other than Power Weapons or Power Ups. And that's where my next point starts.

Rockets, Sniper, Shotgun, OS, Camo. These are highly contested items in the sandbox, and are usually in places where teams frequently fight each other. In my personal vision of Halo, my tweaks are as follows; The Rocket Launcher would fire slowly, requiring a full second for the next rocket to fire, and would have decent splash damage. The Sniper Rifle would have a considerable but static upward recoil after firing, to teach players to aim for the head rather than doing two body shots. Shotguns will never kill in one shot, which means people will need to be close enough for a melee followup, or stay back enough for two shots, which gives the other player a chance to fight back. I want two versions of the Overshield, one that makes you invulnerable while it slowly gives you one layer, and the other will give you two layers instantly. Camouflage will only keep you fully cloaked when you are moving, and the noises you make aren't dampened by the Power Up, which means players have sound to look for it instead of straining their eyes.

Niche Weapons would have to be functionally easy, but their kill times nowhere near the perfect kill time of the utility. The Sentinel Beam would be this weak but incredibly suppressive poke at players to keep their shields from charging. The Plasma Rifle would need its stun back, along with its shots having no random spread. The Grenade Launcher will only kill a player if it is right on top of the grenade, and would have half of the splash radius of the Rocket Launcher. The Concussion Rifle would have its rate of fire and damage decreased, but its propelling capabilities doubled, effectively making it your own personal rocket jump or plasma wall climb from Quake.

So, there it is. What are your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

For the record, I want to reiterate what my ideal Halo would be.

The utility weapon, whatever shape and form it may take, should be a 100% accurate single shot, have a one second perfect kill time, and a two second max kill time. The skill it should take to get a perfect kill should be considerable, which would make its average kill time around 1.6 seconds. Now, for this to be ideal, the base movement speed and strafe need to be smooth and fast, so players can outgun their opponent, or opponents, thus giving a large amount of individual empowerment. Every other weapon needs to be balanced around this gun, and should not have a kill time faster than it, unless it is a Power Weapon. This essentially means that at a certain point, someone can be so good with this weapon that they won't need anything else other than Power Weapons or Power Ups. And that's where my next point starts.

Rockets, Sniper, Shotgun, OS, Camo. These are highly contested items in the sandbox, and are usually in places where teams frequently fight each other. In my personal vision of Halo, my tweaks are as follows; The Rocket Launcher would fire slowly, requiring a full second for the next rocket to fire, and would have decent splash damage. The Sniper Rifle would have a considerable but static upward recoil after firing, to teach players to aim for the head rather than doing two body shots. Shotguns will never kill in one shot, which means people will need to be close enough for a melee followup, or stay back enough for two shots, which gives the other player a chance to fight back. I want two versions of the Overshield, one that makes you invulnerable while it slowly gives you one layer, and the other will give you two layers instantly. Camouflage will only keep you fully cloaked when you are moving, and the noises you make aren't dampened by the Power Up, which means players have sound to look for it instead of straining their eyes.

Niche Weapons would have to be functionally easy, but their kill times nowhere near the perfect kill time of the utility. The Sentinel Beam would be this weak but incredibly suppressive poke at players to keep their shields from charging. The Plasma Rifle would need its stun back, along with its shots having no random spread. The Grenade Launcher will only kill a player if it is right on top of the grenade, and would have half of the splash radius of the Rocket Launcher. The Concussion Rifle would have its rate of fire and damage decreased, but its propelling capabilities doubled, effectively making it your own personal rocket jump or plasma wall climb from Quake.

So, there it is. What are your thoughts?

I guess most of my questions revolve around the shotgun NOT being a OSK.

Are you going to improve its ROF because it seems like the 1 second TTK utility weapon is going to win that battle more often that not or will result in a trade. What about melee's, does it take 2 or 3 melees to kill? I'd assume if you do 2, you'd make melees slightly slower so that shotgun has that advantage for a shot with the follow up melee.

It seems like a huge disadvantage to the shotgun and not even really worth grabbing at that point, especially when you have sword/hammer/boltshot whatever you decide to include.

49 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

New idea. Single fire precision weapon. PROJECTILE and consistent. Small reticle. Low AA/BM. About a 1 second kill time. Small weapon model. Would be used primarily and everyone spawns with it. Lmk thoughts. 

FTFY 

1 minute ago, LI Mr X IL said:

FTFY 

Please don't. We've already had one thread turn to shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Shotguns will never kill in one shot, which means people will need to be close enough for a melee followup, or stay back enough for two shots, which gives the other player a chance to fight back.

In other words, a mauler.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just my opinion if a gun was healing only I would probably never pick it up playing with randoms. And I certainly wouldn't trust my teammates to do it for me. Especially if it was a Sentinal Beam type gun where you have to continously hit your teammate to regenerate shield. If there's not some type of way to kill or at least damage the opponent it would be a disaster IMO. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Basu said:

Yeah, definitely better to stick to discussing goofy gimmick weapons, so no one takes personal offense to anyone questioning deeply entrenched, obsessive nostalgia.

:lxthul:

1 minute ago, Nokt said:

I guess most of my questions revolve around the shotgun NOT being a OSK.

Close Combat one shot kill weapons are usually very cheap. 

Are you going to improve its ROF because it seems like the 1 second TTK utility weapon is going to win that battle more often that not or will result in a trade.

The Shotgun will have the same fire rate as it does in Halo 3 and Reach. The melee followup will become the deciding factor of the fight. Basically, it's a Mauler with a Shotgun skin.

What about melee's, does it take 2 or 3 melees to kill? I'd assume if you do 2, you'd make melees slightly slower so that shotgun has that advantage for a shot with the follow up melee.

Two melees, and the melee speed will not be changed. Firing a shotgun and then wacking someone with it has always been faster than a double pummel.

It seems like a huge disadvantage to the shotgun and not even really worth grabbing at that point, especially when you have sword/hammer/boltshot whatever you decide to include.

The Shotgun will be a worthwhile pickup, because those other weapons don't exist in my ideal version of Halo.

Answers in bold italics.

3 minutes ago, arglactable said:

Yeah, definitely better to stick to discussing goofy gimmick weapons, so no one takes personal offense to anyone questioning deeply entrenched, obsessive nostalgia.

:lxthul:

> using the "nostalgia" argument unironically outside of /r/halo

I would make two specific weapons dual wieldable.  No mixing and matching weapons though.  You can only dual wield two Maulers or two Spikers.

Mauler 

This close range shotgun fires molten pellets that can ignite flammable substances and items on the map.  Ignition can result in temporary area denial, permanent path modification, or the removal of Visual Cover.  It kills in 2 shots, has a 4 round magazine, and an extended melee range.  Firing then meleeing kills faster than firing twice or meleeing twice.

If a second Mauler is acquired, it can be toggled between holstered and unholstered.  While unholstered, the player holds the second weapon in his left hand.  Dual wielding disables melee, grenade throw, and deploy equipment.  The Melee button reloads the left weapon.  Maulers have increased recoil while dual wielding.  The Mauler is the secondary starting weapon in the Team Duals gametype.

Spiker 

The automatic weapon’s projectiles penetrate Light Cover and bounce predictably off of hard, angled surfaces.  The weapon exhibits vertical recoil when fired and its projectiles begin dropping once past medium range.  It has an extended melee range.

If a second Spiker is acquired, it can be toggled between holstered and unholstered.  While unholstered, the user holds the second weapon in his left hand.  Dual wielding disables melee, grenade throw, and deploy equipment.  The Melee button reloads the left weapon.  Spikers have increased recoil and reticle bloom while dual wielding.  The Spiker is the primary starting weapon in the Team Duals gametype.

I like the idea of using weapons to chain together movement tricks. Like if we had plasma climb and rocket jump it'd be cool to see that stuff paired with air movement control and wall kicks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Answers in bold italics.

Out of all of the CQC OSK's I found that the shotgun was probably the best, it has crazy range drop off and 0 lunge since its a shot. I understand not liking the sword/hammer.

It seems like a gun I'd pick up to have in back pocket, but never use. Its not powerful enough, even in CQC to use it over the utility weapon. Without an increase in ROF its likely you'll lose to anyone with a good shot in CQC with the utility weapon.You're going to auto lose shields by committing to the melee, which maybe is your point, you don't think you should walk away with a clean kill.

Just now, Mr Grim said:

I like the idea of using weapons to chain together movement tricks. Like if we had plasma climb and rocket jump it'd be cool to see that stuff paired with air movement control and wall kicks.

I would prefer if movement enhancers were contained in an Equipment class so that they could be used with any weapon rather than a specific movement enhancer always being tied to a specific weapon.

28 minutes ago, Basu said:

I couldn’t help myself. I have a weak will. 

H1's shotgun is the blueprint to follow imo. It's hardly ever abused like it was in H3, because everything else kills so quickly too. It's OHK range isn't that far, but it's viable damage range is the farthest in the series, especially against weak player. It's a fun, versatile gun that doesn't have a big cheese factor with the OHK's because it's rarely a problem (although no radar and good map design help with this a lot).

The thing I hated about the mauler was you basically couldn't use it without losing your shield, and it's range was horrible so you couldn't use it for cleanup. H1 shotgun > mauler

• Like (+1) 5

Meleeing with the Mauler should cancel the fire cooldown and firing with the Mauler should cancel the melee cooldown.  This would allow for the potential of chaining attacks against multiple opponents together.

34 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

H1's shotgun is the blueprint to follow imo. It's hardly ever abused like it was in H3, because everything else kills so quickly too.

CE's Shotgun has an absurd amount of ammo in the magazine, and is plenty abused in half of the competitive lineup. Chill Out has many corners you can utilize in the heat of a fight, Rat Race has the two-way portals for you to effectively cheese with, and Damnation has an ugly combination of the two, not to mention said combination are the only two ways to get up top.

It's OHK range isn't that far, but it's viable damage range is the farthest in the series, especially against weak player. It's a fun, versatile gun that doesn't have a big cheese factor with the OHK's because it's rarely a problem (although no radar and good map design help with this a lot).

This is where our thoughts differ. This version of the shotgun is borderline unstoppable unless you have a Power Weapon or Power Up. In fact, a comparable Shotgun would be the one from Halo 5. The ammo is decreased, but the added zoom makes it have as much lethal potential. It's considered poorly implemented, and I'm willing to bet the CE Shotgun would also be considered similar if looked at without bias.

The thing I hated about the mauler was you basically couldn't use it without losing your shield, and it's range was horrible so you couldn't use it for cleanup. H1 shotgun > mauler

Again, this is where our thoughts differ. The only scenario where you should come out unscathed with a Shotgun is if the other person didn't have time to react. If you can strafe your way to them and have all of their bullets miss, that would be impressive. But CQC is almost always dirty, so expect to get some shields stripped if the enemy knows you're coming.

Responses in bold italics.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Meleeing with the Mauler should cancel the fire cooldown and firing with the Mauler should cancel the melee cooldown.  This would allow for the potential of chaining attacks against multiple opponents together.

What's to stop people spamming shoot melee shoot melee, sounds like more problems than it's worth imo, what would the benefit of such a mechanic even be?