Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

No there’s mechanics even a comp player does think of. They may think of a strafe that works but that’s just about it. In h3 the BMS was too slow, that’s why it was increased, it wasn’t for the sake of “strafe acceleration”. Movement is important but the strafing in reach worked fine from my perspective and didn’t work too different from other halos. This miniscule time that it takes for the spartan to start strafing is almost non believable. Show me evidence of this.

Apparently you missed the part that said (or just movement in general). But sure, we'll just pretend I didn't say that so that you can pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

Show you evidence of this? How about the fact that there's literally a setting for you to change said mechanic? Also, noticed the choice of words you used:

Quote

worked fine from my perspective

If you didn't even pay attention to strafe acceleration until you read a post by Basu just earlier today, how would you think that you have enough of an understanding to even dispute his claim, let alone argue against it? All you have is your anecdotal comment that it worked fine from your PoV, but you didn't even pay attention to it until today. I honestly think you just argue about things just to argue in this thread so I'm hesitant about actually going back and forth with you about this.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, -DeucEy- said:

Apparently you missed the part that said (or just movement in general). But sure, we'll just pretend I didn't say that so that you can pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

Show you evidence of this? How about the fact that there's literally a setting for you to change said mechanic? Also, noticed the choice of words you used:

If you didn't even pay attention to strafe acceleration until you read a post by Basu just earlier today, how would you think that you have enough of an understanding to even dispute his claim, let alone argue against it? All you have is your anecdotal comment that it worked fine from your PoV, but you didn't even pay attention to it until today. I honestly think you just argue about things just to argue in this thread so I'm hesitant about actually going back and forth with you about this.

Strafe acceleration is basically the time it takes for the speed of the strafe to begin no? I read the part about movement, and movement are strafe acceleration are in the same category but still different. Ok the POV thing is ignorant but still. Im not arguing it’s called debating. An argument is a debate that turns into rage, yelling etc. 

 

This is the definition of acceleration for a car. a vehicle's capacity to gain speed within a short time. 

I’d imagine it be significantly different in a halo video game. I’m not exactly trying to undermine your depth perception levels here, but excuse me for being skeptical. I’ve played every halo, did not play h1(this should be obvious) or 2 in their prime, played h3 and reach for the most part and  Usually in my average 1v1 fight I’ve noticed the strafing begins near instant, but obviously I’m wrong because you say so, because you believe it doesn’t. Am I wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

You must be the only person I ever heard say that. 

Basically if your spartan feels like he's walking through mud or running underwater then you know the acceleration is too slow. In Reach this is the most noticeable but it also shows in other games. On the other hand, in games like CS, DOOM or Overwatch (using a decent Hero) the movement feels very snappy and you can change directions without any stupid slowdowns in between. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, The Tyco said:

Ok, let me break it down for you and get some semantics out of the way:

Full Tilt - when you push your thumbstick to the absolute edge of your controller.

Zero Tilt - no thumbstick input.

Base Speed - how fast you move at full tilt.

Velocity - the speed of something in a given direction.

Acceleration - the time it takes a player to achieve maximum base speed at full tilt.

Skating - how long it takes a player to come to a complete stop with zero tilt.

Typically in gaming terms, a strong strafe is defined by how fast base speed is, in combination with an acceleration as close to instant as possible, with little to no skating. For example, Overwatch has excellent and responsive strafing with an instant acceleration and decent base movespeed. 

When a player attempts to change velocity in V7 Reach, however, the acceleration and skating was noticeably slow and lengthy, despite having inarguably the fastest base speed in franchise history. Strafing in v7 Reach was described like ice skating all the time, and rightfully so.

Halo 3 didn't have to compensate for lack of sprint, so base movement speed wasn't dramatically increased, but still suffered from slow acceleration. Skating was very minimal in 3 however due to the lower base speed.

Typically, if a game features a slow acceleration and/or skating, the game is trying to force players to commit to their velocity direction choice and attempting to make movement change more reactable or realistic to others shooting at you. On the other hand, making a strafe instant in acceleration and skating on top of fast base speed can lead to a more cartoonish appearance despite giving a player more control over their character's movements.

I'm a fan of instant, responsive strafing that empowers players, but I also don't like the idea of someone zigzagging "lazy strafe" style where their movements aren't reactable. I don't like sluggish acceleration and skating, but I also feel movement should be somewhat of a commitment on the players part in order to make strafe jousting more interesting and skillful. Halo needs a better balance of these concepts, cause it hasn't since at least Halo 2.

Thanks for this. Ok now that I think about it, overwatch strafing is very fast, but it’s not exactly hard to react too. I didn’t want to sound like an ass, it’s just that earlier it seemed a bit ridiculous. Also could you mention some situations of halo reach being like that? I might imagine that in a situation where you jump up on something it takes a brief MS to begin full strafe speed? Am I wrong? Or does this happen in every instance? And it also could be the fast 120% bms of mlg v7 that eludes me.(I cant remember if reach v7 used 110 or 120)

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Thanks for this. Ok now that I think about it, overwatch strafing is very fast, but it’s not exactly hard to react too. I didn’t want to sound like an ass, it’s just that earlier it seemed a bit ridiculous. Also could you mention some situations of halo reach being like that? I might imagine that in a situation where you jump up on something it takes a brief MS to begin full strafe speed? Am I wrong? Or does this happen in every instance? And it also could be the fast 120% bms of mlg v7 that eludes me.(I cant remember if reach v7 used 110 or 120)

It's just how the movement mechanics work in Halo. Go into custom settings and turn up the base movement speed (200%+) to exaggerate the effect of strafing in one direction at full speed then hitting hard on the sticks to the other direction to see how far you keep sliding / how long it takes to reach full speed again. It has been probably the main consideration in deciding the base movement speed for comp Halo for as long as the option has been available.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Does H5's acceleration modifier in customs actually help with this? Never tried to investigate that as the game doesn't have split screen (ha).

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Basu said:

Does H5's acceleration modifier in customs actually help with this? Never tried to investigate that as the game doesn't have split screen (ha).

Yes.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, careh said:

It's just how the movement mechanics work in Halo. Go into custom settings and turn up the base movement speed (200%+) to exaggerate the effect of strafing in one direction at full speed then hitting hard on the sticks to the other direction to see how far you keep sliding / how long it takes to reach full speed again. It has been probably the main consideration in deciding the base movement speed for comp Halo for as long as the option has been available.

Ok I get it. You mean how long it takes to start moving once you’re done strafing. I do notice in reach there’s a brief second to do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Ok I get it. You mean how long it takes to start moving once you’re done strafing. I do notice in reach there’s a brief second to do this. 

They arent independent. The time it takes to move right once u are moving left is very long in reach. Not when ur done strafing. While strafing. 

  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

New power weapon idea I've thought about for the past week:  Shield Replenisher

 

Functionality:  Shoots a continuous beam that replenishes the shield of a teammate. Beam must be directly hitting your teammate to take effect (aim assist will be applied to your teammates for the purposes of this weapon).

 

Design Goal:  To introduce new ways to support teammates besides pure firepower. This would hopefully bring a new tactical element to matches by sacrificing firepower for increased survivablility of your teammates.

 

Playstyle:  Ideally the wielder would stay away from direct combat while keeping one or multiple teammates in their line of sight to assist when needed.

 

But How Powerful?  I'm thinking that it should replenish one's shield around the same rate as Halo 3's regenerator, maybe faster. This would give your teammate a mostly guaranteed victory in a 1v1, and he would also stand a much better chance in a 1v2/1v3 scenario. However, just like with Halo 3's regen, focus fire from multiple enemies will be his demise.

 

Other details: This weapon has limited ammo and does not overheat. Has no effect on enemies. In the case of there being more than one shield replenisher on the map, these effects do not stack. Does not replenish an overshield.

 

Can I get any opinions? Could this be viable? OP? Pointless? @Boyo what do you think?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not a terrible idea.  Would this be its own weapon or an alt fire of another weapon?  How about a weapon that requires you to damage enemies before you can heal teammates.  The amount of damage you inflict is the amount you can heal.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Not a terrible idea.  Would this be its own weapon or an alt fire of another weapon?  How about a weapon that requires you to damage enemies before you can heal teammates.  The amount of damage you inflict is the amount you can heal.

It would be a power weapon you fight over.

 

Inflicting damage for healing capabilities is an interesting concept. Like a precision rifle with two modes. Sounds more like a niche weapon tho.

Share this post


Link to post

You could also make it a grenade/grenade launcher that sticks something to a teammate that acts as a personal Regen.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

New power weapon idea I've thought about for the past week:  Shield Replenisher

 

Functionality:  Shoots a continuous beam that replenishes the shield of a teammate. Beam must be directly hitting your teammate to take effect (aim assist will be applied to your teammates for the purposes of this weapon).

 

Design Goal:  To introduce new ways to support teammates besides pure firepower. This would hopefully bring a new tactical element to matches by sacrificing firepower for increased survivablility of your teammates.

 

Playstyle:  Ideally the wielder would stay away from direct combat while keeping one or multiple teammates in their line of sight to assist when needed.

 

But How Powerful?  I'm thinking that it should replenish one's shield around the same rate as Halo 3's regenerator, maybe faster. This would give your teammate a mostly guaranteed victory in a 1v1, and he would also stand a much better chance in a 1v2/1v3 scenario. However, just like with Halo 3's regen, focus fire from multiple enemies will be his demise.

 

Other details: This weapon has limited ammo and does not overheat. Has no effect on enemies. In the case of there being more than one shield replenisher on the map, these effects do not stack. Does not replenish an overshield.

 

Can I get any opinions? Could this be viable? OP? Pointless? @Boyo what do you think?

Inappropriate for Halo. Feels like something you'd see in modern day Pokemon or a FPS adaptation of Magic: The Gathering.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting idea but if Overwatch has taught me anything is that healing mechanics don't promote interesting gameplay but people just cheese these mechanics to the max and create endless stalemates. Playing as the healer is also usually just boring as shit and limits your freedom of movement and making decisions to "follow this dude and never let go of LMB" 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Inappropriate for Halo. Feels like something you'd see in modern day Pokemon or a FPS adaptation of Magic: The Gathering.

 

Is it really that inappropriate? Energy shields are a huge part of Halo, and we already have things like OS.

 

3 hours ago, Basu said:

Interesting idea but if Overwatch has taught me anything is that healing mechanics don't promote interesting gameplay but people just cheese these mechanics to the max and create endless stalemates. Playing as the healer is also usually just boring as shit and limits your freedom of movement and making decisions to "follow this dude and never let go of LMB" 

 

I'm not familiar with OW so I can't really comment. Thing is, the playstyle would be a bit more versatile than camp back and heal teammates (especially in objective). You could still go engage enemies, and switch to it when you have some downtime.  Like a passive power weapon. This weapon would have a sort of cheese nature to it, but don't all power weapons? The skillful part it fighting for it. 

I have no idea if it would work or be a complete disaster since Halo has never seen these sort of support weapons. The main reason I thought of this idea is because Halo is seriously starved of creative weaponry. It was a breath of fresh air when they introduced things like the nade launcher in Reach, and the Plasma Caster in H5. We need moar.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

It's certainly a slippery slope. I really disliked the shield regen in Halo 3 and I'm guessing the counter play to that is the shield drainer but it's just not a cohesive mechanic. I know for a fact that they were directly influenced by shadowrun to the point where the H3 regeneration field was even labeled as Tree of Life in the code. I know H2's lunge mechanics are a bit forgiving and odd, but I thought there was a lot more depth there with the button combos compared to Halo 3's melee trade fest. To me that was one of the lamest and most boring aspects of the equipment. I don't even think you could throw a nade at their feet and pick them off in time unless I am not remembering correctly.

I'd have to see it play out to know but I like the idea of a link gun. I thought it was great in UT but just worry about the cheese here with regenerating shields. I picture a juggernaut standing in the door way eating nades and shots while his teammate is safely away from nade spam, or camping a corner. Heals + close range weapon + camping = a lot of cheese. Sure this allows you to be mobile but I do wonder how often people choose to use this to push offensively rather than sit back.

I do agree that heals often lead to passive and campy gameplay mostly. That's how it worked in Shadowrun but you could at least destroy them or throw AMG's at them. This would get rid of the tree than eat the magic of those camping was very risky. It was physically how you had to heal but required rotating around the map quickly as a counter. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Teapot said:

It's certainly a slippery slope. I really disliked the shield regen in Halo 3 and I'm guessing the counter play to that is the shield drainer but it's just not a cohesive mechanic. I know for a fact that they were directly influenced by shadowrun to the point where the H3 regeneration field was even labeled as Tree of Life in the code. I know H2's lunge mechanics are a bit forgiving and odd, but I thought there was a lot more depth there with the button combos compared to Halo 3's melee trade fest. To me that was one of the lamest and most boring aspects of the equipment. I don't even think you could throw a nade at their feet and pick them off in time unless I am not remembering correctly.

 

I never liked how H3's regen was implemented. Players didn't have to go out of their way to get one, and there was no tell. Whenever a player dropped one I would just roll my eyes, much like the bubble shield. The difference with my gun is you fight over it and it puts you down a man in terms of firepower. 

 

5 hours ago, Teapot said:

I'd have to see it play out to know but I like the idea of a link gun. I thought it was great in UT but just worry about the cheese here with regenerating shields. I picture a juggernaut standing in the door way eating nades and shots while his teammate is safely away from nade spam, or camping a corner. Heals + close range weapon + camping = a lot of cheese. Sure this allows you to be mobile but I do wonder how often people choose to use this to push offensively rather than sit back.

 

Agreed, this is the type of gameplay I'd like to avoid. I feel as long as there's other  incentives that promote map cycling, trying to camp and cheese won't be viable. The way I'm imagining it is it would give a player more of a chance against multiple opponents, but at the same time not being a complete powerhouse (so basically like all other power items in Halo).  It would require some delicate balancing in terms of the replenish rate, and ammo capacity.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

How would you balance it so it's better to use the healing gun compared to just helping shoot, while at the same time not being strong enough where it's frustrating to fight against? I'm imagining this beam is fairly close range in nature, but maybe you're imagining something that could heal across the map. In other games I've played with a healing mechanic, there's no regenerating health, so a healer is powerful as the one thing to keep your team fresh. Is there many examples of an extra regenerating mechanic in a game with regenerating health? Halo 3 and either Reach or Halo 4 (maybe both?) are the only ones that come to my mind.

I feel like having two pistols on an opponent would be just as useful as having one person have virtually infinite health. Unless regenerating health is almost a guaranteed 1v2 win (kind of a 2v2), and a solid challenge for a 1v3, but in that case it would probably be too frustrating to fight against within a 4v4 game.

Also how would counterplay with power weapons work? I'm assuming you're still a one shot kill for rockets/sniper/shotgun from an appropriate range?

I'm not necessarily opposed to some sort of "heal teammate" mechanic but I don't know if a gradual charge is the route I would take. How about a grenade, make it like a splinter nade almost where it explodes on impact, if you hit something other than a person then it immediately disintegrates. Upon hitting somebody though they immediately get their shields back, no charge time needed. You wouldn't be able to nade heal yourself unless you chuck it in the air and have it land on you. I think some form of sniper could work for this as well.

You still get a healing property, if you have an angle on a teammate you can immediately heal them but if you hit an enemy you would heal the enemy instead. If it was nades there could be nerd spots on the map where you could heal somebody from far away by setting up properly which might be cool. Also you can control how many battles the healing will effect easily, you get one nade or one sniper shot then you'll effect the outcome of one battle, compared to a gun that offers regenerating health which is a little more vague.

Maybe my idea would be too niche to really be useful, I don't know. Or maybe it would be more frustrating when a sniper shot comes out of nowhere and now you're fighting a guy with with full health after you brought him to one shot.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like the idea, and I think it'd be fun.

But for the sake of versatility, what about a weapon that fired a single shot at a time before reloading, like Ana's rifle in Overwatch. Hit a teammate with it, you begin his shield recharge. That's it. Just like the regen field in H4. It's not steady healing. Make the effect last for like 7 seconds. He can still take damage at a normal rate, but he has zero shield recharge delay while the round is active. It just bypasses the recharge delay. Hit an enemy with it, it slowly drains his shields down to nothing over the course of those 7 seconds, and can't be undone, even if he loses his shields by other means. In that case it wouldn't kill him once he's no shields, but just delay his recharge. The enemy cannot begin the recharge delay until the shot has timed out. This would effectively keep him out of the fight longer than normal suppressive fire.

We've all been in standoff situations where being too weak to resist a push is almost as bad as being dead. A weapon like this would be an enormous boon for setting up an effective push. Maybe give it 5 or 6 rounds? I'm not sure what I'd do for ammo count tbh.  I've always thought about making the Carbine a corrosive weapon that does lingering damage. This would be the substitute for that I suppose.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Silos said:

How would you balance it so it's better to use the healing gun compared to just helping shoot, while at the same time not being strong enough where it's frustrating to fight against? I'm imagining this beam is fairly close range in nature, but maybe you're imagining something that could heal across the map. 

I imagine you can use it at any range so long as you have a teammate in your line of sight. The sad reality is fighting against any sort of healing mechanic, whether balanced or not, will be frustrating for the other party. Since this weapon is fought over, players hopefully won't be as frustrated since they have time to plan around it. Contrast this to H3 regen where a player can seemingly pull one out of his ass at random.

1 hour ago, Silos said:

I feel like having two pistols on an opponent would be just as useful as having one person have virtually infinite health. Unless regenerating health is almost a guaranteed 1v2 win (kind of a 2v2), and a solid challenge for a 1v3, but in that case it would probably be too frustrating to fight against within a 4v4 game.

The idea here would be to help teamshoot like normal when enemies are in your sight, and using the replenisher for moments where you can't help teamshoot. For example, pushing green hall on Pit next to your teammate, it wouldn't make sense to use it when you can offer immediate firepower. But if your teammate is pushing green hall while you happen to be at sword or tower, you can replenish him while he engages. 

1 hour ago, Silos said:

Also how would counterplay with power weapons work? I'm assuming you're still a one shot kill for rockets/sniper/shotgun from an appropriate range?

Yeah you'd still die easily to other powerful weapons, stickies, multiple frags, etc.

1 hour ago, Silos said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to some sort of "heal teammate" mechanic but I don't know if a gradual charge is the route I would take. How about a grenade, make it like a splinter nade almost where it explodes on impact, if you hit something other than a person then it immediately disintegrates. Upon hitting somebody though they immediately get their shields back, no charge time needed. You wouldn't be able to nade heal yourself unless you chuck it in the air and have it land on you. I think some form of sniper could work for this as well.

You still get a healing property, if you have an angle on a teammate you can immediately heal them but if you hit an enemy you would heal the enemy instead. If it was nades there could be nerd spots on the map where you could heal somebody from far away by setting up properly which might be cool. Also you can control how many battles the healing will effect easily, you get one nade or one sniper shot then you'll effect the outcome of one battle, compared to a gun that offers regenerating health which is a little more vague.

Maybe my idea would be too niche to really be useful, I don't know. Or maybe it would be more frustrating when a sniper shot comes out of nowhere and now you're fighting a guy with with full health after you brought him to one shot.

The problem I have with an instantaneous heal is it would be very difficult to time it right. You'd have to wait til a teammate is low/no shields then hit your shot before he dies. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I like the idea, and I think it'd be fun.

But for the sake of versatility, what about a weapon that fired a single shot at a time before reloading, like Ana's rifle in Overwatch. Hit a teammate with it, you begin his shield recharge. That's it. Just like the regen field in H4. It's not steady healing. Make the effect last for like 7 seconds. He can still take damage at a normal rate, but he has zero shield recharge delay while the round is active. It just bypasses the recharge delay. Hit an enemy with it, it slowly drains his shields down to nothing over the course of those 7 seconds, and can't be undone, even if he loses his shields by other means. In that case it wouldn't kill him once he's no shields, but just delay his recharge. The enemy cannot begin the recharge delay until the shot has timed out. This would effectively keep him out of the fight longer than normal suppressive fire.

We've all been in standoff situations where being too weak to resist a push is almost as bad as being dead. A weapon like this would be an enormous boon for setting up an effective push. Maybe give it 5 or 6 rounds? I'm not sure what I'd do for ammo count tbh.  I've always thought about making the Carbine a corrosive weapon that does lingering damage. This would be the substitute for that I suppose.

I definitely think the right move would be making it one shot if it was a sniper followed by a reload. I can't imagine my rage if I'm just draining bullets into a guy who's getting healed every half a second by a far away bullet.

I would maybe put a tiny delay on the shield recharging, like 1/100th of a second longer than the minimum time to place your next shot. Basically I would want to kill in the same amount of bullets assuming I'm hitting shots, but if the enemy backs down or I miss let them regain a bit of shields. I feel it adds complexity, but may help remove some of the frustration of a short-term healing effect.. Also give the recipient a glow while this effect is going on so the other player knows it's happening.

I'm kind of mixed on the corrosive ability existing on the same gun as the healing ability. I always liked screwing over a teammate when messing up with a weapon, so I may be biased in this thinking, but I'd prefer that if you hit an enemy that they would get the healing property. Having some type of corrosion weapon would be cool though and I think it would be fun to play with. But if I don't give a corrosive weapon the ability to kill, how do I convince people it's worth picking up? At least with the healing side effect you have a couple use cases, just corrosion though is tough. Maybe this healing/corrosion gun needs to be the exception to my rule.

Do you have an idea to make a corrosion weapon that doesn't kill worth picking up? The only way I can think of is attaching it to our supposed healing gun, or attaching it to something that kills which kind of defeats the purpose of "this gun doesn't kill"

1 hour ago, TeeJaY said:

1) I imagine you can use it at any range so long as you have a teammate in your line of sight. The sad reality is fighting against any sort of healing mechanic, whether balanced or not, will be frustrating for the other party. Since this weapon is fought over, players hopefully won't be as frustrated since they have time to plan around it. Contrast this to H3 regen where a player can seemingly pull one out of his ass at random.

The idea here would be to help teamshoot like normal when enemies are in your sight, and using the replenisher for moments where you can't help teamshoot. For example, pushing green hall on Pit next to your teammate, it wouldn't make sense to use it when you can offer immediate firepower. But if your teammate is pushing green hall while you happen to be at sword or tower, you can replenish him while he engages. 

Yeah you'd still die easily to other powerful weapons, stickies, multiple frags, etc.

2) The problem I have with an instantaneous heal is it would be very difficult to time it right. You'd have to wait til a teammate is low/no shields then hit your shot before he dies. 

1) Okay this makes more sense for when it would be useful. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Team Fortress 2, but the medic's range for healing is roughly the shotgun range in Halo if you were trying to tickle your opponent. I was thinking you meant that range in which case I would prefer if the game made you jump in there instead of shying away from the fight.

My biggest issue with your idea is a mixture of low risk and too much variance in how much healing power you have left. Maybe we can come up with a compromise, or maybe my next idea will be way too complex. I'll throw out some random numbers here but stay with me. Let's say you get four charges of this gun. Every charge is roughly 1.5 shields of regenerated shields and it'll take four seconds to fully emit. Once you pull the trigger the beam starts and you lose one charge, you can only turn it off by YYing or hitting the reload button to cancel it or waiting for the duration to expire. If anybody touches that beam, they begin getting their shield back at this accelerated rate, aim assist on for teammates and opponents.

Numbers can be tweaked, but how about that? I'm nervous I'm nerfing the weapon too much and making it virtually useless.

2) The part you have a problem with is the part I like. It would be stupidly difficult, there's different variables that could mess with your timing (is there a second opponent turning the corner that can help get the last shot? Is a nade thrown?), and trying to keep aim on your teammate while he's strafing around so you can save him at the perfect time would be stupid hard... But I love it and think the thought process behind "Do I heal him at half shield or hopefully hit when he's one shot" is interesting. I could be over-confident in my version, perhaps nobody would pick it up because hoping to nail that shot and actually save a game from it could be too ludicrous.

This is unrelated, but if it's a gun you pick up, I definitely think the time to switch weapons needs to be fast. If it takes 1.5 seconds to pull out the healing gun, your teammate could already be dead; and walking around with a healing gun out at all times just in case kind of sucks.

EDIT: It's worth pointing out, I can't think of a shooter with a corrosive ability, or a game with regenerating health that also has a healing ability. If you guys have examples of games like that, and they function well, I'd love to hear some examples. I have no frame of reference for any of this so I'm just guessing. Maybe these things are issues that have been solved in other games that I can't think of, and I'm just treading old ground.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.