CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Like in CE do I keep him in the center of the recticule or something else entirely? 

3 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Yeah the reticle takes a lot of practice to get a feel for and I agree it can be annoying because I've missed critical kills where I would swear I was placing it correctly. One factor worth mentioning could be online latency, MCC is a little bit awkward (some would argue a lot) compared to OG lan feel.

LAN feels different than any game that’s nothing new. I can hit my shots in CE, and I’m pretty confident most who play this game in ranked are from the east which is 90-100 ping for me

Mcc is literally random lol there's nothing you can do. The magnetism doesn't work properly and the spread is nuts. You just have to pray lmao 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 minute ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Mcc is literally random lol there's nothing you can do. The magnetism doesn't work properly and the spread is nuts. You just have to pray lmao 

That’s bs. Yo are you home? Let’s play mcc or something dude.

5 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

That’s bs. Yo are you home? Let’s play mcc or something dude.

Work lol. Slow ass day. Go play social CE and have a blast though. It's the best! 

15 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Maybe I just dislike greatly the attributes of CE. I don’t like the spawn system regardless of the “control” the player has.(its much better in my eyes that the game decides) because it can result in an “almost” preventable spawn trap. The buggy looking movement and strafe animations are pretty annoying but that’s easily because of the 01 engine. It’s not that great for 4s and I’m not a huge of fan of doubles. 

Also sure you’ve gone out of your way, but it’s pretty clear no one new is coming over to CE. You should understand anyone who grew up with h2 and beyond most likely won’t like h1 because it feels so drastically different in a way that’s not like able.

I don't have much to say about your first paragraph. I feel like we'll never agree, and that's cool. And you preferring to react to the game's decision, or react to what your guess of the game decision is, compared to reacting about a different player's decision is valid.

I want to talk about your second paragraph though. I don't think Halo 1 is this weird mess that newer players don't like, I think the limited hardware it's available on and how different it is to other Halos hurts it more than anything else. For a bit of background, Hard Way mentioned I'm a newer player which is pretty accurate, even though I played Halo 1 as a kid I actually hated the game, my friends only wanted to play 2v2 Blood Gulch and Sidewinder and I thought they were boring.

I only started learning more about the game a few years ago after going on forums like this one and reading what people like Cursed Lemon, Teapot, ChaosTheory, and Hard Way wrote about it. Since then, I have fallen in love with the game and have convinced a few other people in my city that the game is awesome. Only one of them played Halo 1 back in the day. As for the others, one wasn't born until 2004, and didn't get into playing Halo seriously until Halo 5, one started with Halo 3 but didn't play a lot until Reach, and the other two started with Reach.

All I did was have them play on LAN, with as even of teams as we could make, told them a rough idea of spawns ("I will spawn close to you 90% of the time, keep that in mind when nades are flying your way"), and either told them where to go for powerups and power weapons, or turned on training mode after I upgraded to Halo NHE.

All of them thought the game was great. Now I don't mean to bore you with backstory, and I don't mean to use my limited sample size to say that you're wrong. I want to bring up a new side to the debate, not that the game's popularity is tied to quality, but that the game's popularity is tied to how easy it is to play quality matches in 2019. Like there's no way for you to play the same game the rest of us nerds play unless you find other people with all of the equipment or buy all of the equipment yourself and find others to play with you.

I'll end with one final story that I think shows how important accessibility is to getting people to play. Where I live we recently had a large video game tournament, featured several games, advertised on the news and social media, decent prize pool for a local tournament, the works. Halo 3 was hosted there, you may have had to bring a controller, I honestly don't remember, and there was a small entry fee but everything else was provided. Four teams showed up to play. The weekend right after we had a Halo 1 tournament hosted at a community ran event, no advertising, all equipment provided (including controllers) and a small prize pool with no entry fee. We had twelve teams sign up with three extra teams on a waiting list. Is it because Halo 1 is more popular than Halo 3, or was the extra teams because the Halo 1 tournament was more accessible? I would assume the modern Halo 3 fanbase, which admittedly trumps the modern Halo 1 fanbase, would easily make up for the slight difference in accessibility, but now I'm not convinced.

If we could find a way to make Halo 1 as accessible as Halo 3 where you play a good version of the game with good matchmaking every time you try it, and if Halo 3 was as hard as Halo 1 in regards to being able to get good games in, I think we would see a shift of popularity.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

But the younger guys here that have put forth the effort to learn the game and play it the right way, guys like OG Nick, RVG Nomini, Ethereal Nights, Batchford, King Nick, Bronx Demon, Silos, Commander Eagle, Sandman, and a lot more...they were once in a

Mom get the camera 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Like in CE do I keep him in the center of the recticule or something else entirely? 

LAN feels different than any game that’s nothing new. I can hit my shots in CE, and I’m pretty confident most who play this game in ranked are from the east which is 90-100 ping for me

The pistol reticle is definitely tricky, and if MCC is your only experience with the game, then its understandable that it would feel random and unsatisfying. I play it all the time, and I'm still trying to figure out ways to compensate for latency from game to game. However, there are things you can do to help you get a better feel for it. And once you do, the reticle being the way it is ends up being kinda fun.

The biggest thing to know, and this is not well communicated to the player at all, is that you get stronger bullet magnetism with the edges of your reticle. This is most important for getting headshots instead of body shots, and hitting targets moving laterally. If they're moving straight at/away from you, or not moving at all, the most consistent way to get your bullets to register is 2 center mass, 1 to the head using the bottom of your reticle. This means spread won't fuck you on your body shots, and the game won't give you a body shot instead of a head shot.

When someone is moving laterally, you want to get your reticle in front of them, and aim with the back side of the reticle. Put the 9 o'clock or the 3 o'clock in front of their chest for your body shots. This will help your crossmapping significantly.

To get a headshot on someone moving laterally at range, you want to put the 8 o'clock or the 4 o'clock in front of their head. It takes some practice, but it's pretty satisfying when you get used to it. You'll probably find shot registration is a lot better than you thought it was (it's still not great though).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Silos said:

I don't have much to say about your first paragraph. I feel like we'll never agree, and that's cool. And you preferring to react to the game's decision, or react to what your guess of the game decision is, compared to reacting about a different player's decision is valid.

I want to talk about your second paragraph though. I don't think Halo 1 is this weird mess that newer players don't like, I think the limited hardware it's available on and how different it is to other Halos hurts it more than anything else. For a bit of background, Hard Way mentioned I'm a newer player which is pretty accurate, even though I played Halo 1 as a kid I actually hated the game, my friends only wanted to play 2v2 Blood Gulch and Sidewinder and I thought they were boring.

I only started learning more about the game a few years ago after going on forums like this one and reading what people like Cursed Lemon, Teapot, ChaosTheory, and Hard Way wrote about it. Since then, I have fallen in love with the game and have convinced a few other people in my city that the game is awesome. Only one of them played Halo 1 back in the day. As for the others, one wasn't born until 2004, and didn't get into playing Halo seriously until Halo 5, one started with Halo 3 but didn't play a lot until Reach, and the other two started with Reach.

All I did was have them play on LAN, with as even of teams as we could make, told them a rough idea of spawns ("I will spawn close to you 90% of the time, keep that in mind when nades are flying your way"), and either told them where to go for powerups and power weapons, or turned on training mode after I upgraded to Halo NHE.

All of them thought the game was great. Now I don't mean to bore you with backstory, and I don't mean to use my limited sample size to say that you're wrong. I want to bring up a new side to the debate, not that the game's popularity is tied to quality, but that the game's popularity is tied to how easy it is to play quality matches in 2019. Like there's no way for you to play the same game the rest of us nerds play unless you find other people with all of the equipment or buy all of the equipment yourself and find others to play with you.

I'll end with one final story that I think shows how important accessibility is to getting people to play. Where I live we recently had a large video game tournament, featured several games, advertised on the news and social media, decent prize pool for a local tournament, the works. Halo 3 was hosted there, you may have had to bring a controller, I honestly don't remember, and there was a small entry fee but everything else was provided. Four teams showed up to play. The weekend right after we had a Halo 1 tournament hosted at a community ran event, no advertising, all equipment provided (including controllers) and a small prize pool with no entry fee. We had twelve teams sign up with three extra teams on a waiting list. Is it because Halo 1 is more popular than Halo 3, or was the extra teams because the Halo 1 tournament was more accessible? I would assume the modern Halo 3 fanbase, which admittedly trumps the modern Halo 1 fanbase, would easily make up for the slight difference in accessibility, but now I'm not convinced.

If we could find a way to make Halo 1 as accessible as Halo 3 where you play a good version of the game with good matchmaking every time you try it, and if Halo 3 was as hard as Halo 1 in regards to being able to get good games in, I think we would see a shift of popularity.

I see your point but still

1 minute ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I see your point but still

That's fair, I get Halo 1 can still be rough especially the spawn system. I won't even argue difficulty here, but it sucks to get ruined on Derelict on your third game ever of Halo 1

Also to credit your argument, Derelict was only played once during the tournament. But the most negative feedback received for the Halo 1 tournament was during Prisoner and  players kept complaining about spawning in enemy sightlines and dying immediately. Anybody with a fair amount of previous Halo 1 experience, roughly four or five teams, didn't complain, but the rest with virtually zero competitive didn't have a great time on that map. I didn't have time to sit down with all of them so most of them probably left thinking that Prisoner was bad.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

The pistol reticle is definitely tricky, and if MCC is your only experience with the game, then its understandable that it would feel random and unsatisfying. I play it all the time, and I'm still trying to figure out ways to compensate for latency from game to game. However, there are things you can do to help you get a better feel for it. And once you do, the reticle being the way it is ends up being kinda fun.

The biggest thing to know, and this is not well communicated to the player at all, is that you get stronger bullet magnetism with the edges of your reticle. This is most important for getting headshots instead of body shots, and hitting targets moving laterally. If they're moving straight at/away from you, or not moving at all, the most consistent way to get your bullets to register is 2 center mass, 1 to the head using the bottom of your reticle. This means spread won't fuck you on your body shots, and the game won't give you a body shot instead of a head shot.

When someone is moving laterally, you want to get your reticle in front of them, and aim with the back side of the reticle. Put the 9 o'clock or the 3 o'clock in front of their chest for your body shots. This will help your crossmapping significantly.

To get a headshot on someone moving laterally at range, you want to put the 8 o'clock or the 4 o'clock in front of their head. It takes some practice, but it's pretty satisfying when you get used to it. You'll probably find shot registration is a lot better than you thought it was (it's still not great though).

Yeah fuk playing CE. This isn’t my cup of tea. The fact I need to do all that rather than keep my reticule centered on is annoying AS hell. Probably won’t ever be my go to halo.

Just now, Silos said:

That's fair, I get Halo 1 can still be rough especially the spawn system. I won't even argue difficulty here, but it sucks to get ruined on Derelict on your third game ever of Halo 1

Also to credit your argument, Derelict was only played once during the tournament. But the most negative feedback received for the Halo 1 tournament was during Prisoner and  players kept complaining about spawning in enemy sightlines and dying immediately. Anybody with a fair amount of previous Halo 1 experience, roughly four or five teams, didn't complain, but the rest with virtually zero competitive didn't have a great time on that map. I didn't have time to sit down with all of them so most of them probably left thinking that Prisoner was bad.

That’s definitely one thing that makes prisoner bad.

Guess this is what happens when I’m used to regular shooting mechanics. Even csgo is easier because all I have to do is figure out the spread patterns

On 3/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, Fixaimingsorry said:

Waypoint and twitter want a word

Let me make this perfectly clear. If a billion people agree with you, that's a billion people who are incorrect. It doesn't matter how many people share your viewpoint. You're still wrong.

Glad I've cleared that up for you. Now go join Waypoint as that's where you actually belong.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Let me make this perfectly clear. If a billion people agree with you, that's a billion people who are incorrect. It doesn't matter how many people share your viewpoint. You're still wrong.

Glad I've cleared that up for you. Now go join Waypoint as that's where you actually belong.

What was this topic about again? I looked back, and you’re not right either as both of our sentences were mere opinions.

8 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Yeah fuk playing CE. This isn’t my cup of tea. The fact I need to do all that rather than keep my reticule centered on is annoying AS hell. Probably won’t ever be my go to halo.

That’s fine. Im not trying to force it on anyone. But if you ever do play it, try it. And if you don’t play it, stfu about it.

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

What was this topic about again? I looked back, and you’re not right either as both of our sentences were mere opinions.

Keep up or gtfo. And the "it's just an opinion" response doesn't protect you. Misinformed opinions are wrong opinions.

15 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Also sure you’ve gone out of your way, but it’s pretty clear no one new is coming over to CE. You should understand anyone who grew up with h2 and beyond most likely won’t like h1 because it feels so drastically different in a way that’s not like able.

I played Halo CE once at a friend's house in 4th grade and never owned the game until 2014 and MCC came out.

I was as 'new' to the game as anyone else playing MCC, because I'd basically forgotten that was CE I played with my friend all those years ago, until I reached the same spot in the mission 'Halo' 10 years later. The game is EXACTLY what the series was missing for me. It's the least rigid. It rewards every little strategy you should employ, and that's not even limited to Singleplayer, even Multiplayer does. Everything kills so efficiently it is absurd. There's a variant of Blood Gulch in matchmaking with like 8 Scorpions on the map at any given point and not once is it a problem. You can shoot them out with a few Magnum rounds. I spent an entire match on Sidewinder just splattering snipers in a Ghost with the slightest tap and I laughed until my legs gave out. I once made a Warthog dash for the flag in Ice Fields CTF to drive back with it and solo cap (BECAUSE YOU CAN) and some guy killed me with the AR at their base before I could even come to a complete stop.

It has the best weapon sandbox and the most janky and hilarious physics of all the Halo games and has a special place in my heart, and I will defend its sandbox to the grave if I could. Even MCC's port of the game (which I'm told was butchered) was lastingly appealing to me and I hated myself for waiting as long as I did to get the game. Yes, I thought it would be too dated for me, or that I wouldn't enjoy how different it was, and absolutely none of that was true. I loved every last bit of it and for the most part I'm upset at how much better the gameplay is than all the other Halo games.

Sorry for the blog, but watch your mouth man...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Keep up or gtfo. And the "it's just an opinion" response doesn't protect you. Misinformed opinions are wrong opinions.

What? It’s not misinformed at all. The opinion was CE 4s sucks compared to h3. 

11 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

What? It’s not misinformed at all. The opinion was CE 4s sucks compared to h3. 

Based on what? Your few experiences with the game that you already dislike anyway? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

I would love to see a modern iteration of Halo that expands on everything CE did. Obviously the janky movements and jumping are real dated, but the melee system being based upon lunge distance of different weapons, and the quick camo effect from drawing inscoped weapons, as well as being able to nade weapons and powerups to yourself are things that add so much depth to the game and skill gap, and it is a shame that each Halo has been gradually watered down with each and every release. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hard Way said:

The statements about the only people liking CE being older are obviously true. Like, no shit dude.  MCC is a poor version of the game. You can only play the best version of the game on old equipment that few people will go out of their way to play on. A lot of vital information is initially hidden from the user. It's not an easily approachable game. It makes sense that most people wouldn't like it, when their only experience with it is janky ass MCC where they're getting shit on by people with an enormous knowledge advantage. But the younger guys here that have put forth the effort to learn the game and play it the right way, guys like OG Nick, RVG Nomini, Ethereal Nights, Batchford, King Nick, Bronx Demon, Silos, Commander Eagle, Sandman, and a lot more...they were once in a similar position as you. But they had an open mind. They were curious about why the game was spoken about so highly. They were curious about how to play it. They were not content with their own ignorance.

Shoutouts to a Real One.

At the end of the day, it is easier and more convenient to remain ignorant.  We see this this in every aspect of life, including Halo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

Based on what? Your few experiences with the game that you already dislike anyway? 

Yes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, darkstar said:

I would love to see a modern iteration of Halo that expands on everything CE did. Obviously the janky movements and jumping are real dated, but the melee system being based upon lunge distance of different weapons, and the quick camo effect from drawing inscoped weapons, as well as being able to nade weapons and powerups to yourself are things that add so much depth to the game and skill gap, and it is a shame that each Halo has been gradually watered down with each and every release. 

Ok that is something I’d like. The movement and jumping is mostly why I can’t bring myself to like it in all honesty.

20 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I’ve looked at your videos, your  “how to play CE” I’ve incorporated it into my gameplay. I just personally hate CE. It’s not a relaxing game for me. Maybe if it wasn’t the mcc irritation I could like it, but since that’s not the case I just refuse.  It’s not a relaxing game, and it’s competitive feels random the way my shots are going. At least in other halosi know if I’m hitting the head. This games illusionary reticule makes that difficult and annoying to do. If one day they give us the option of a smaller reticule it might be more likeable. But currently in CE a guy can run at me in a straight line and somehow I’m missing my shots. 

CE is the one of the only shooters in history to have bullet sway; meaning the pistol shots will sway in the direction you're walking in.  So if you're walking to the right, aiming at head, your bullets will veer right at long range. You need to compensate for that and the projectile time.

19 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Reach v7 is a prime example of a game that doesn’t aim for you. In my opinion that takes the most skill. You have to hit your shots, you’re even given a small reticule that makes sense for how it’s bullets work. In reach v7 if I miss my opponents head that’s 100% on me, it means my tracking sucked! 

A hitscan game with blown out bullet magnetism is the one that takes the most skill. Okay.

• Like (+1) 3