CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 3/8/2019 at 1:01 AM, Hard Way said:

This. If the gameplay isn't a crack-addled circus show like H5, then we won't need radar in ranked at all. However, a tweak to radar in social would be welcome.

For the most part, I would ideally want no radar at all, but reality is often disappointing.

6 hours ago, The Tyco said:

For the most part, I would ideally want no radar at all, but reality is often disappointing.

I agree, but baby steps. I think we need to focus on no radar in ranked right now. I think that is actually attainable. That's an appropriate distinction to draw between ranked and social, and it's something I think people would get behind if the idea takes hold.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I agree, but baby steps. I think we need to focus on no radar in ranked right now. I think that is actually attainable. That's an appropriate distinction to draw between ranked and social, and it's something I think people would get behind if the idea takes hold.

That depends if we go back to classic style gameplay. No radar is acceptable at that point, but if not then the radar that detects shooting and other shit is ok. I always liked cod radar because you only show up when shooting, so flanking is possible in that game. Radar really is full of too much free information and that needs to end. With the sound quality of today there ain’t nothing that’s preventing footstep sounds so don’t even go there. In h3 with the headsets we have now you can hear foot steps quite well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

That depends if we go back to classic style gameplay. No radar is acceptable at that point, but if not then the radar that detects shooting and other shit is ok. I always liked cod radar because you only show up when shooting, so flanking is possible in that game. Radar really is full of too much free information and that needs to end. With the sound quality of today there ain’t nothing that’s preventing footstep sounds so don’t even go there. In h3 with the headsets we have now you can hear foot steps quite well. 

Footsteps should be silent...

#bringbackthebacksmack

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LI Mr X IL said:

Footsteps should be silent...

#bringbackthebacksmack

Not happening unless you want to deny physics, which are always taken into account when making a video game. 

It’s not fun from a gameplay or realistic aspect. I should be able to hear someone running/walking around me. Spartans aren’t ninjas. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Master Chief's armor should mask the sound of his footsteps.  They don't need to be completely silent, but I shouldn't sound like I have horseshoes on my feet.

i actually have a strange nostalgic feeling whenever i hear the clonking of chiefs armor from halo 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, a Chunk said:

Master Chief's armor should mask the sound of his footsteps.  They don't need to be completely silent, but I shouldn't sound like I have horseshoes on my feet.

1. That’s not even in the lore.

2. You’re wearing a metal suit what you expect to sound like? 

3. In real life if someone’s running at you, you most definitely will hear it. Footsteps sounds are very welcome in my book. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

11 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

3. In real life if someone’s running at you, you most definitely will hear it. Footsteps sounds are very welcome in my book. 

1. I don't care

2. Quiet

3. This isn't real life

• Like (+1) 7

No strong opinion one way or anothef but I don't necessarily have a problem with sound cues like footsteps.  It requires and rewards paying active attention as well as deciphering their location instead of just knowing exactly where the other person is, plus there's plenty of ways for the other person to conceal their noise.  They can jump so there's only periodic clanks, they can drop down from a higher level that is out of hearing range, they can approach during a firefight, etc.  It's not something I would consider to be "free information".

Should backsmacks be as simple as getting behind enemy lines and casually strolling forward, especially in a thumbstick shooter where people aren't constantly checking behind them due to how unfeasible that is with the controls?

As for radar though, yeah, it's dumb.  Most fps games don't even have it so I don't even understand from an appeal to casuals standpoint.  It's like only a portion of Halo casuals actually care about it.  No one in OW ever moans about radar...or lack of Sprint for that matter...

• Fire (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Footsteps are just another form of radar. 

so are gunshots

• WutFace (+0) 1

dont reaction my posts deb ate me thi s is the internet my ego is at stake here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

13 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I pray ur just really meta posting about sprint and thrust supporters. Harming gameplay in favor of the lore is ********. 

• Like (+1) 1

Having the ability to sound whore only rewards camper mentality. It's lame in Halo. And this is coming from someone who pretty much only plays R6 Siege nowadays.

17 hours ago, a Chunk said:

1. I don't care

2. Quiet

3. This isn't real life

1. Game Devs care and foot step sounds are happening whether you like it or not.

2. Really? What halo you’ve been playing? 

3. You’re right, but physics still applies. 

3 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Having the ability to sound whore only rewards camper mentality. It's lame in Halo. And this is coming from someone who pretty much only plays R6 Siege nowadays.

Lol it rewards positioning, and doesn’t let the idiot flanking be completely rewarded for doing so. You shouldn’t be rewarded for flanking risk free.

4 hours ago, Riddler said:

I pray ur just really meta posting about sprint and thrust supporters. Harming gameplay in favor of the lore is ********. 

No I’m just stating from a physics stand point and even gameplay footstep sounds are perfectly ok. Also someone made a comment that the footsteps should sound the same as chiefs armor so from a lore standpoint the footsteps being loud is reasonable. I should be able to hear if you’re around me. It’s not free information it’s realistic information. I would know if someone was walking around me, especially running. Not even halo CE is sound proof. Back in the day you had shitty sound quality on those crappy TVS(today’s TVs far surpass those cubes and that’s a fact).

I love you guys, but where the fuck did this whole idea of removing footsteps come from? It's honestly whack. We've had footsteps for like 18 years and it's just now a problem, there are bigger problems with the game than "you can hear people moving".

The rewarding the campers mentality is a dumb reason. If only there were some type of objectives or weapons placed on the map to encourage movement and map control, and not just sitting in a corner sound whoring players.

Oh wait a minute, there is, and it works because Objective matches in Halo don't turn into corner-wank matches of waiting until someone walks past you. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s just one more thing that shrinks the skill gap and to a pretty good degree too. Map awareness and player path prediction make up a pretty sizable portion of Halo’s skill gap. A bad player could consistently be looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time completely oblivious to where the enemy is and still manage to avoid getting whacked in the back because they have a good headset. I’m not saying we don’t have bigger fish to fry. It’s not a huge deal to me and I fully expect there to be loud clanking footsteps that let anyone who isn’t deaf avoid getting assisinated in Infinite. But in my dream version of halo enemy footsteps would be as quiet as a church mouse. 

10 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

So is your mom 

good one lemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you win post of the night.

I never took much notice of how loud footsteps are until I started playing in and watching 1v1's.  It's not a huge issue when there are more players, but it's nearly game-breaking in a 1v1.  It certainly has more to do with the improved audio equipment over the years than anything else.  I don't really expect anything to change.  It's just really frustrating in that particular environment (which I realize isn't really one of the core experiences of Halo).  It wouldn't be in my top 20 things I'd like to see changed in Halo, but I'd still like to see footsteps quieted somewhat.

15 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

It’s just one more thing that shrinks the skill gap and to a pretty good degree too. Map awareness and player path prediction make up a pretty sizable portion of Halo’s skill gap. A bad player could consistently be looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time completely oblivious to where the enemy is and still manage to avoid getting whacked in the back because they have a good headset. I’m not saying we don’t have bigger fish to fry. It’s not a huge deal to me and I fully expect there to be loud clanking footsteps that let anyone who isn’t deaf avoid getting assisinated in Infinite. But in my dream version of halo enemy footsteps would be as quiet as a church mouse. 

Good luck, glad your vision won’t ever come true. 

It's kinda weird to be against radar but for footsteps. It literally functions exactly like a radar. Play 1v1s and tell me how fun it is. Hell just watch 1v1s. You can barely move in most games because you're so loud. 

This isn't a BR where you have 90 other people all over the place. There's literally 4 people on maps with limited angles and LoS. If you're getting flanked you deserve the death. Lmao imagine dying to a flanker and getting mad he didn't make noise. Instead of being mad at your lack of awareness. 

Loud footsteps reward the camping player more every time. That's not even debatable. You wanna find someone? Actually find them lmao. 

• Like (+1) 3