Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

There’s A LOT of people out there that were introduced to Halo via split screen MM at a friend’s house. It’s a huge tool for bringing people into the game. Yes, games against splitscreeners are usually a joke, but it’s a net gain for the overall health of the game.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a search toggle that allows splitscreeners by default though. Other search toggles would be great too, like “has mic”, “similar W/L”, “similar K/D”, etc would all be pretty cool. And you could always uncheck boxes if search times are too long.

  • Like (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, calberto said:

If those people are so bad, why do you care about their "hardware disadvantage", a high framerate won't help if you suck.

I get your frustration but, again, having "nothing but shitters" is most likely the result of the game having just very few good players left but a bunch of shitters because it's on game pass and without those shitters, you probabaly wouldn't be able to find games in social either...

The situation sucks, I get that, but trying to make it worse for those who do enjoy splitscreen won't help you.

Because a hardware disadvantage is yet another thing you have to account for that is absolutely not helping you, lol. 

And what's worse. Me spending 15 minutes spanking two splitscreeners, or just simply letting them match someone else as they can't match me because of a toggle, lol. Guarantee you with how lopsided games are, people definitely quit the game afterwards (Already have before), and it's gonna be a shit experience. 

"Making it worse" doesn't make sense when I'm taking myself out of their pool, lessening the potential trainwrecking, and simply matching with players on a sole screen. The funny thing is, I would lessen the players I could find more for myself than I would them. If we had a sole option to remove screeners from our queue, I wouldn't find them, but the screeners will always find other players and splitscreeners. I remove one player from their pool and a "large" swath from mine.

11 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Unfair games can happen with or without split screen. There's several other factors that can make a game a blowout, and I've even had my fair games where the opponent has split screen users and actually do really good.

All 343 needs to do is have a hidden MMR for social games. Don't necessarily make it like ranked, but matches should have players with at least a some-what close skill. So even if split screen comes into play here, at least 7 of the 8 players are near your skill and the second player on split screen would be a guess, but that wouldn't make it a complete blowout. It's not like every single game is going to have a split screen user, so the rare times it does it's just another blowout to add to the (likely several) blowouts in social anyway.

With the huge backlash 343 got from no split screen in Halo 5, I'd say chances are they're not going to restrict split-screen to anything (except hopefully ranked).

They could add MMR, or they could just add search toggles. So you're not queuing entirely based on skill, but you do have preferences. Granted, I wouldn't care if they did both, but the former (MMR) would reach a point of not being able to find matches as MCC and Halo 5 showed. Negative part of the plan.

Share this post


Link to post

saw someone say you forfeit the right to a good match when u play social. 

 

Thats fucking ********. That is what we have now and it sucks. Social should use a hidden mmr. It doesnt have to be as tight as ranked, but it should keep the games from being pub stomping. Halo 3 actually did this to a lesser extent and it worked pretty well. If u were very new to the game, youd never match generals or what not in social unless the pop was dead. Id like to see something a little tighter. 

 

With that said, lol at separating split screen. Party matching yes. 

Also a fix to 2nd accounters would be a godsend. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, JordanB said:

Unfair games can happen with or without split screen. There's several other factors that can make a game a blowout, and I've even had my fair games where the opponent has split screen users and actually do really good.

All 343 needs to do is have a hidden MMR for social games. Don't necessarily make it like ranked, but matches should have players with at least a some-what close skill. So even if split screen comes into play here, at least 7 of the 8 players are near your skill and the second player on split screen would be a guess, but that wouldn't make it a complete blowout. It's not like every single game is going to have a split screen user, so the rare times it does it's just another blowout to add to the (likely several) blowouts in social anyway.

With the huge backlash 343 got from no split screen in Halo 5, I'd say chances are they're not going to restrict split-screen to anything (except hopefully ranked).

H5’s has a hidden mmr, it doesn’t work because of the low population. You have to make a smurf at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Riddler said:

saw someone say you forfeit the right to a good match when u play social. 

 

Thats fucking ********. That is what we have now and it sucks. Social should use a hidden mmr. It doesnt have to be as tight as ranked, but it should keep the games from being pub stomping. Halo 3 actually did this to a lesser extent and it worked pretty well. If u were very new to the game, youd never match generals or what not in social unless the pop was dead. Id like to see something a little tighter. 

 

With that said, lol at separating split screen. Party matching yes. 

Also a fix to 2nd accounters would be a godsend. 

Are you kidding me? Even on brand new accounts you could match a mofo with a 5 star and this was in the OG days! H3 never had an MMR, the only halo that’s done this is H5, which has the biggest smurf problem out of any halo I’ll add. Hidden mmr only works if your population is high, and H5 did and does not.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Are you kidding me? Even on brand new accounts you could match a mofo with a 5 star and this was in the OG days! H3 never had an MMR, the only halo that’s done this is H5, which has the biggest smurf problem out of any halo I’ll add. Hidden mmr only works if your population is high, and H5 did and does not.

Dude just ask a tager. They all made new tags all the time because it does match u against new people. 

Share this post


Link to post

The only problem with split screen/guests is that in can be difficult to assess the guest's skill so it makes matchmaking and team balance kind of difficult. Not all guets are thumbless ******* that just started playing FPS games so you can't give them trueskill of zero. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Basu said:

The only problem with split screen/guests is that in can be difficult to assess the guest's skill so it makes matchmaking and team balance kind of difficult. Not all guets are thumbless ******* that just started playing FPS games so you can't give them trueskill of zero. 

 

It’s fucking social who gives a damn. I stand by what I said, the moment you play social you don’t get to bitch about competent or incompetent teammates. If you play a video game that has a ranked and social mode your complaints are now voided, because you know there’s a mode where splitscreen doesn’t happen, where decent amount of people who have thumbs are playing etc etc. the only thing I think social needs to be more fair would be party restrictions, especially in BTB.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Riddler said:

Dude just ask a tager. They all made new tags all the time because it does match u against new people. 

In what game? Because I already know in h5 people do this.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

In what game? Because I already know in h5 people do this.

H3 360

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

It’s fucking social who gives a damn. I stand by what I said, the moment you play social you don’t get to bitch about competent or incompetent teammates. If you play a video game that has a ranked and social mode your complaints are now voided, because you know there’s a mode where splitscreen doesn’t happen, where decent amount of people who have thumbs are playing etc etc. the only thing I think social needs to be more fair would be party restrictions, especially in BTB. 

Agree to an extent, social should be nowhere near as strict as ranked in terms of skill matching (looking at you H5 and recent CoD titles). But social shouldn't be a complete shitshow. It's just stupid to put 8 gamesagers against a team full of guests. It's stupid and frustrating for both parties.

Like many things, H3 nailed this. Strict MM in ranked with hard party restrictions and social was more loose, but not loose to the point where shit got stupid (basically what MCC social MM is). H5 did this weird thing where ranked wasn't strict enough with no party restrictions and lopsided teams, but social was too strict and often more sweaty than ranked.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Basu said:

Agree to an extent, social should be nowhere near as strict as ranked in terms of skill matching (looking at you H5 and recent CoD titles). But social shouldn't be a complete shitshow. It's just stupid to put 8 gamesagers against a team full of guests. It's stupid and frustrating for both parties.

Like many things, H3 nailed this. Strict MM in ranked with hard party restrictions and social was more loose, but not loose to the point where shit got stupid (basically what MCC social MM is). H5 did this weird thing where ranked wasn't strict enough with no party restrictions and lopsided teams, but social was too strict and often more sweaty than ranked.

I think Social should prioritize matching parties with other parties first and foremost. After that, the skill-based parameters should be pretty wide. Social should be the area where you can match against superior or inferior opponents; it would be the best place to actually determine where you are on the "skill" spectrum. One of the best feelings in any competitive endeavor is when you put in the work and effort to get better and then it shows in an actual match. If you're always matching against players in the same skill-spectrum as you, it will never feel like you're getting much better. Every game will be sweaty, and that's not a good thing. Sometime's it's fun to be flung out into the wilds and play against anyone and everyone out there, good or bad. Getting dominated or dominating other players is part of the charm of playing competitive games. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mr Grim said:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW @TheIcePrincess and @My Namez BEAST??? ARE YOU PROUD OF THIS HELL YOU'VE BROUGHT UPON US?!?!

 

Oh man. I've been dreading this exact tweet for a very long time.

Part of reddit/waypoint's way of "compromising" with 343 despite a lot of them actually disliking the company as much as we do is spreading this forced meme: Halo 4's campaign is really good, but the multiplayer was bad, and Halo 5 campaign was bad, but the multiplayer was really good!

Now I don't know who thought it was to boil down complex problems and in depth criticisms of the campaign and multiplayer of both games to "4 gud story bad MP nd 5 gud MP bad story" but it's evident that enough people have said it enough times that it looks like we might get another tonally bizarre Halo 4 melodrama campaign and Halo 5: 2 for the multiplayer.

Does this actually address any grievances anyone has had with Halo over the past 10 years? Not really, but let's just keep saying it guys, Halo 4 MP bad Campaign good, Halo 5 MP good Campaign bad! Halo 4 MP bad Campaign good, Halo 5 MP good Campaign bad! 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ARUKET said:

Oh man. I've been dreading this exact tweet for a very long time.

Part of reddit/waypoint's way of "compromising" with 343 despite a lot of them actually disliking the company as much as we do is spreading this forced meme: Halo 4's campaign is really good, but the multiplayer was bad, and Halo 5 campaign was bad, but the multiplayer was really good!

Now I don't know who thought it was to boil down complex problems and in depth criticisms of the campaign and multiplayer of both games to "4 gud story bad MP nd 5 gud MP bad story" but it's evident that enough people have said it enough times that it looks like we might get another tonally bizarre Halo 4 melodrama campaign and Halo 5: 2 for the multiplayer.

Does this actually address any grievances anyone has had with Halo over the past 10 years? Not really, but let's just keep saying it guys, Halo 4 MP bad Campaign good, Halo 5 MP good Campaign bad! Halo 4 MP bad Campaign good, Halo 5 MP good Campaign bad! 

Halo 4 campaign good. H4 multiplayer bad. H5 campaign bad. H5 multiplayer bad.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Halo 4s campaign wasn't that great 

  • Like (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo 4s campaign wasn't that great 

Yeah, Promethean's weren't great to fight on any difficulty. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nokt said:

Yeah, Promethean's weren't great to fight on any difficulty. 

Ok maybe the prometheans weren’t fun but the story was enjoyable and neat. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Literally nothing that happened during it matters. Didact didn't die, but then he did in a comic.

Cortana didn't die, and this is explained in a short story in a book. Oh she's also evil now.

Jul 'Mdama is killed off in the 2nd cutscene of Halo 5. 

 

It's over-rated. The Librarian cut-scene is the realisation that the entire premise of the story is based on a book saga that a minority of fans have read (which is actually pretty good tho). Chief's reaction to Cortana's death makes no sense. It's AI, he didn't even get this sad and depressed when Sam, a Spartan he had literally grown up and trained with for years died. Chief and Cortana were together for a max of 3 months, but she dies and he gets visibly sad and depressed for the first time in the series. Explore his humanity my ass, if only there were a group of Spartans that he considered his family existed.

 

Oh wait, they do, and they did shit-all in Halo 5, and that relationship is barely touched on.

 

The positivity towards Halo 4's story is baffling to me. Its paper-thin melodrama wrapped in a terrible artstyle with awful dialogue and terrible pacing, and is largely void of the self-awareness and levity of the original trilogy. When combined with the gameplay, I'd be quick to say that Halo 5 has a better multiplayer than Halo 4 has a campaign, which isn't something I'd claim lightly.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Literally nothing that happened during it matters. Didact didn't die, but then he did in a comic.

Cortana didn't die, and this is explained in a short story in a book. Oh she's also evil now.

Jul 'Mdama is killed off in the 2nd cutscene of Halo 5. 

 

It's over-rated. The Librarian cut-scene is the realisation that the entire premise of the story is based on a book saga that a minority of fans have read (which is actually pretty good tho). Chief's reaction to Cortana's death makes no sense. It's AI, he didn't even get this sad and depressed when Sam, a Spartan he had literally grown up and trained with for years died. Chief and Cortana were together for a max of 3 months, but she dies and he gets visibly sad and depressed for the first time in the series. Explore his humanity my ass, if only there were a group of Spartans that he considered his family existed.

 

Oh wait, they do, and they did shit-all in Halo 5, and that relationship is barely touched on.

Fantastic post.

Share this post


Link to post

I hate to beat a dead horse, especially since I can usually not care any less about single player modes. But where in the world was THIS story?! 

All hail the conquering hero... The one who was supposed to save us all!.. But now I must save us... From you...

This trailer specifically got me hyped, that was so well executed!

And then of course it's counter-part:

This... Is this what you wanted? Is this what you were looking for? Was everything you compromised; everything you've done... Worth it?

Dude, I sincerely thought we were about to get one of those dual-dynamic story modes where you choose your path at the beginning of the game and then you play each character's respective story that would convene at the end (like most games that do this kind of thing). 

But no. No. We get maybe a 10 second fist fight between the two and that wrapped up in the entire conflict and "mystery" between Locke and Chief.

That is the part of the story that bothered me. Because it made no sense to release all of the Hunt the Truth content for it to literally get thrown all the way out the window for literally a 10 second fight.

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post

Hunt the truth was a legit good series that was completely wasted. Like, not just disregarded, but thrown into a corner and shit on. None of it mattered in the long run and that was a damn Shame.

  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2019 at 8:07 PM, Mr Grim said:

Halo 4s campaign wasn't that great 

Story-wise it's the best by a long shot. Although, it's not really a high bar when Halo 2 is the only other game to have a superbly compelling narrative.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:33 PM, ChieftaiNZ said:

It's over-rated. The Librarian cut-scene is the realisation that the entire premise of the story is based on a book saga that a minority of fans have read (which is actually pretty good tho). Chief's reaction to Cortana's death makes no sense. It's AI, he didn't even get this sad and depressed when Sam, a Spartan he had literally grown up and trained with for years died. Chief and Cortana were together for a max of 3 months, but she dies and he gets visibly sad and depressed for the first time in the series. Explore his humanity my ass, if only there were a group of Spartans that he considered his family existed.

I agree with the points on Failo 5, because fuck that story, but did you read The Fall of Reach? It was specifically noted by John that while Kelly was openly distressed at Sam staying behind, he never looked back to him because would've stayed behind himself because leaving someone behind like that, that he knew, was a killer. He hid his emotions at the time outwardly, but he was just as wracked about it, internally, with inflection showing it. One could argue text kinda makes it hard to showcase, but it was conveyed that he was shot down by Sam's death.

Chief's fondness of Cortana was also brought up prior in the original trilogy. In Halo 2, he shows hesitation at leaving her behind on High Charity, in Halo 3, he literally and reckless goes into what may as well be a hellnest of zombies to get her once again, SOLO, and that being elaborated on in Halo 4 with him being distressed at failing to save her when he has saved her and others so many times before also makes sense. This isn't counting the fact she's one of the few to basically be in his mind, 24/7, and they also spent a lot of time together solo. Given their circumstance, where they need to work together or die, the length of time isn't really an issue. 

23 hours ago, Ling Ling said:

The positivity towards Halo 4's story is baffling to me. Its paper-thin melodrama wrapped in a terrible artstyle with awful dialogue and terrible pacing, and is largely void of the self-awareness and levity of the original trilogy. 

Examples? 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Story-wise it's the best by a long shot. Although, it's not really a high bar when Halo 2 is the only other game to have a superbly compelling narrative.

I agree with the points on Failo 5, because fuck that story, but did you read The Fall of Reach? It was specifically noted by John that while Kelly was openly distressed at Sam staying behind, he never looked back to him because would've stayed behind himself because leaving someone behind like that, that he knew, was a killer. He hid his emotions at the time outwardly, but he was just as wracked about it, internally, with inflection showing it. One could argue text kinda makes it hard to showcase, but it was conveyed that he was shot down by Sam's death.

Chief's fondness of Cortana was also brought up prior in the original trilogy. In Halo 2, he shows hesitation at leaving her behind on High Charity, in Halo 3, he literally goes into what may as well be a hellnest of zombies to get her once again for essentially no reason, and that being elaborated on in Halo 4 with him being distressed at failing to save her when he has saved her and others so many times before also makes sense. This isn't counting the fact she's one of the few to basically be in his mind, 24/7, and they also spent a lot of time together solo. Given their circumstance, where they need to work together or die, the length of time isn't really an issue. 

Examples? 

It’s fair to note I bet most of you don’t know a quality story and complex character development if it hit you in the face. You’re the people who say Harry Potter was a bad story when most will agree that you’re wrong.

  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.