CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

I'm personally tired of this sprint "ability". What made the gameplay great to begin with was the ability to constantly be fighting in battles and moving across the map and getting in engagements with your team. This whole

fight > sprint away to take a break > fight 

Type of playstyle is so boring and unappealing. It was quite literally the driving factor stemming from Reach that led people to stop playing the game we know and love. Yes, there are other factors like armor lock and the subsequent abilities in the successor titles like Promethean Vision and Spartan Charge, terrible maps, etc. that piled on. But unless we're able to go back to what made Halo unique; it's just going to be Space Shooter: Infinite at that point, in which there's hella other games already out that people are going to choose to play instead. i.e. Call of Duty.

P.S. Please don't feed me the "there weren't as many games to play back then" retired argument, because there are plenty of games out now and Call of Duty is still doing just fine.

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement when I first saw the Halo: Infinite trailer. The moment I see someone sprinting, I'm done with the franchise. But that's just me personally. I've stuck around for entirely too long supporting a community for a game that I loathe playing (for the record, I meant Halo community, not TeamBeyond lol TeamBeyond is godlike, I'm always here for you guys).

That “not enough games back then” doesn’t work regarding h3 and reach” 

reach may have started a decline but it wasn’t drastic like h4&5. And h3 has plenty of competition. And to defend your statement even more people will mention that cod is multi platform, and yet it’s more popular on XBOX. Were not talking about the other systems; the fact is the cod version of Xbox has been successful, where h5 wasn’t.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just need to know if I should continue to care about Halo. If Infinite’s bad then at least it’s closure.

Edit: actually I just need to know if it has potential, i.e. a straight shooting utility gun with a decent margin for missing. I have no faith in vanilla settings lol

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Yes

Knowing you, you'll prolly enjoy Infinite if the game is just a retuned H5, especially if they make the aiming actually decent. Let's hope the gun we start with is plenty accurate and consistent.

As for the rest of you, don't be surprised if the Infinite is exactly that. If the MCC is the be-all-end-all of Halo flavors for everyone once they include Reach, their logic will obviously spin to "Let's refine what we did right and make the best version of our Halo." Stick with what you like, don't try to play what you dislike. Or, move on.

15 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

fight > sprint away to take a break > fight 

Nah man, I need to literally see my spartan running in order to believe that I'm moving fast.

Regardless of how the game turns out, I'm going to be disappointed as fucking dicks if splitscreening is able to be done in matchmaking, be it social or ranked. Every single game and experience on the MCC has been nothing but ass with them on my or the enemy's team. Keep that shit in campaign at best if you absolutely need it, and strictly to local play, but in actual MM, it impacts my ability to enjoy a game hardcore. Get. It. Out.

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 4
  • Salt (-1) 5

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't like split screen.

I can understand not wanting it in ranked matches, but social matchmaking is the biggest pool that everyone should have access to. I think a good compromise would be having the option to select the kind of players you want to match against ala Halo Reach. Competitive, Casual, and Splitscreeners could be toggles you can flip on or off, along with the option of having Balanced, Focused, or Expanded matchmaking searches.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I can understand not wanting it in ranked matches, but social matchmaking is the biggest pool that everyone should have access to. I think a good compromise would be having the option to select the kind of players you want to match against ala Halo Reach. Competitive, Casual, and Splitscreeners could be toggles you can flip on or off, along with the option of having Balanced, Focused, or Expanded matchmaking searches.

I think the only compromise I'd really like is to make splitscreeners match each other. Ala party restrictions akin to Halo 3. I don't wanna have to choose it, and I don't think it should really be a toggle when it's an objective detriment to be running with people who're playing a poorer performing version of the game. 

5 hours ago, Gobias said:

I just need to know if I should continue to care about Halo. If Infinite’s bad then at least it’s closure.

Edit: actually I just need to know if it has potential, i.e. a straight shooting utility gun with a decent margin for missing. I have no faith in vanilla settings lol

Don't hold your breath.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I think the only compromise I'd really like is to make splitscreeners match each other. Ala party restrictions akin to Halo 3. I don't wanna have to choose it, and I don't think it should really be a toggle when it's an objective detriment to be running with people who're playing a poorer performing version of the game. 

What’s the problem with it on via social? Lol anyone who’s a comp player knows social is just a world of pub stomping. You couldn’t split screen mm in h3. Oh wait you could but only if you used two accounts with gold which I bet most didn’t do.

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

What’s the problem with it on via social? Lol anyone who’s a comp player knows social is just a world of pub stomping. You couldn’t split screen mm in h3. Oh wait you could but only if you used two accounts with gold which I bet most didn’t do.

This is so false it gave me stage 3 cancer. All you needed to matchmake in splitscreen was a second controller. 

Just now, Fixaimingsorry said:

What’s the problem with it on via social? Lol anyone who’s a comp player knows social is just a world of pub stomping. 

It basically turns the game into a guaranteed 2v4. That and because of performance differences, things like frame rate and the like are tuned to be lower. Meaning people are perpetually fucking themselves, and others. Social may be about not giving a shit about winning, but even at that, I still want evenish games, over a guaranteed stomp for whoever gets the splitscreeners, lol.

Pubstomping (Another issue) could also just be fixed with party restrictions. Dunno why they're not in social now when it just enforces pubstomping hardcore. But, yunno. 

Give me H3 MLG movement (roughly), a Projectile BR with no spread, and a game with a proper Net Code and I'd be happy. I feel like that isn't too much to ask for, but I am not very hopeful. 

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

It basically turns the game into a guaranteed 2v4. That and because of performance differences, things like frame rate and the like are tuned to be lower. Meaning people are perpetually fucking themselves, and others. Social may be about not giving a shit about winning, but even at that, I still want evenish games, over a guaranteed stomp for whoever gets the splitscreeners, lol.

Pubstomping (Another issue) could also just be fixed with party restrictions. Dunno why they're not in social now when it just enforces pubstomping hardcore. But, yunno. 

To be fair, performance differences was only a factor during Halo Reach; when the games would drop to about 10 fps (looking down your sniper scope from snipe hut to snipe hut on the Sanctuary remake for example). In CE, 2, and 3 it really didn't matter as much because the framerate was consistent. The only times they ever dropped significantly is if there were a million explosions going off at the same time -- in which, this happened in full screen mode as well so it's irrelevant.

That being said, the argument you're making is kind of contradictory. You want even-ish games, but you don't want to play the mode (ranked) that is designed to give you games around your skill level? I'm not referring to Halo 5's matchmaking by the way, let's just completely ignore that game for this particular discussion and speak in terms of Halo 2 and Halo 3, where skill and party matching was a thing in ranked matches.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, -DeucEy- said:

To be fair, performance differences was only a factor during Halo Reach; when the games would drop to about 10 fps (looking down your sniper scope from snipe hut to snipe hut on the Sanctuary remake for example). In CE, 2, and 3 it really didn't matter as much because the framerate was consistent. The only times they ever dropped significantly is if there were a million explosions going off at the same time -- in which, this happened in full screen mode as well so it's irrelevant.

That being said, the argument you're making is kind of contradictory. You want even-ish games, but you don't want to play the mode (ranked) that is designed to give you games around your skill level? I'm not referring to Halo 5's matchmaking by the way, let's just completely ignore that game for this particular discussion and speak in terms of Halo 2 and Halo 3, where skill and party matching was a thing in ranked matches.

Nah, I'd say the 30 to 60FPS difference is huge too. Especially given I'm pretty sure hit reg and the like are partially determined by the framerate. IIRC it was a big reason as to why Halo 5's frame drops were stupid. Because it would to a point break your ability to aim, and fire reliably. It's still a huge leap nonetheless, and I would say you're basically playing a broken version of the game against people with faster framerates and response times.

And I would play ranked, as I did in Halo 5, but alas, Halo 2: Anniversary is a playlist I can't find a game in anymore (Around 20 is when that occurs, lol. Not even a high ceiling), and Halo 4 has no comp playlist anymore for some reason. Halo: CE, 2 and 3 are broken on fundamental levels that make me dip into their playlists and then move right the hell out, lol. Of course, the times where I've had a party who wanted to game Halo 3's HC playlist were times where I couldn't find a match, so, that's not exactly great, either. And Team Arena playlists have trash settings that I could get anyway in social. They DO at least have that going for them, the party matching and skill matching. I can't and won't complain there. But it's simply not viable for the games I enjoy.

So, the next best thing is the match composer and social searching so I can find and play games in games I enjoy. Make no mistake, if I could get the hell out of social, I would do it in a heartbeat, lmao. But I'm not gonna waste my own time searching dead and non-existent playlists.

24 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, I'd say the 30 to 60FPS difference is huge too. Especially given I'm pretty sure hit reg and the like are partially determined by the framerate. IIRC it was a big reason as to why Halo 5's frame drops were stupid. Because it would to a point break your ability to aim, and fire reliably. It's still a huge leap nonetheless, and I would say you're basically playing a broken version of the game against people with faster framerates and response times.

And I would play ranked, as I did in Halo 5, but alas, Halo 2: Anniversary is a playlist I can't find a game in anymore (Around 20 is when that occurs, lol. Not even a high ceiling), and Halo 4 has no comp playlist anymore for some reason. Halo: CE, 2 and 3 are broken on fundamental levels that make me dip into their playlists and then move right the hell out, lol. Of course, the times where I've had a party who wanted to game Halo 3's HC playlist were times where I couldn't find a match, so, that's not exactly great, either. And Team Arena playlists have trash settings that I could get anyway in social. They DO at least have that going for them, the party matching and skill matching. I can't and won't complain there. But it's simply not viable for the games I enjoy.

So, the next best thing is the match composer and social searching so I can find and play games in games I enjoy. Make no mistake, if I could get the hell out of social, I would do it in a heartbeat, lmao. But I'm not gonna waste my own time searching dead and non-existent playlists.

What 30 to 60 fps difference are you talking about? Halo 2/Halo 3's? They didn't have 60 FPS to begin with unless you're referring specifically to MCC, which I can't speak to because I don't know what the framerates are on split-screen. That being said, I'm referring to the native games on their native consoles (I thought this was assumed due to us talking about CE, 2, 3 and Reach respectively) in which like I said, performance issues weren't really a thing until Halo Reach. Halo 3 had some drops here and there on some of the forge maps but not nearly in comparison to Halo Reach's.

As to your second point, again, that's a fault of MCC being a game that didn't get flushed out until 6 years later. It seems like most of the problems you're really arguing for are MCC specific issues, which I don't disagree with because MCC is ass. But with that being said, even with MCC, why should couch-players have to suffer and not have the ability to play in unranked games because we (as competitive players, I include myself in this) want consistent balanced games? The answer is, they shouldn't. The matches are unranked for a reason, they're for you to be able to just go in and play and not have to worry about the outcome of the match.

The pub-stomping issue is really only seen as an issue because the population is so low. Let's go back to Halo 3 for example, when Social Slayer was by far the most played playlist. As the solid player, yes, you're going to stomp most teams. However, from the opposite side of things with a large player pool to match against, your chances of matching extremely solid players dwindles. This is a cause and effect on proper matchmaking.

3 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

What 30 to 60 fps difference are you talking about? Halo 2/Halo 3's? They didn't have 60 FPS to begin with unless you're referring specifically to MCC, which I can't speak to because I don't know what the framerates are on split-screen. That being said, I'm referring to the native games on their native consoles (I thought this was assumed due to us talking about CE, 2, 3 and Reach respectively) in which like I said, performance issues weren't really a thing until Halo Reach. Halo 3 had some drops here and there on some of the forge maps but not nearly in comparison to Halo Reach's.

As to your second point, again, that's a fault of MCC being a game that didn't get flushed out until 6 years later. It seems like most of the problems you're really arguing for are MCC specific issues, which I don't disagree with because MCC is ass. But with that being said, even with MCC, why should couch-players have to suffer and not have the ability to play in unranked games because we (as competitive players, I include myself in this) want consistent balanced games? The answer is, they shouldn't. The matches are unranked for a reason, they're for you to be able to just go in and play and not have to worry about the outcome of the match.

The pub-stomping issue is really only seen as an issue because the population is so low. Let's go back to Halo 3 for example, when Social Slayer was by far the most played playlist. As the solid player, yes, you're going to stomp most teams. However, from the opposite side of things with a large player pool to match against, your chances of matching extremely solid players dwindles. This is a cause and effect on proper matchmaking.

I speak on MCC. Splitscreen FPS is hovering around 30, there. Tis what I was referring too. Teehee for vague points. 

And I mean, yeah, the fact I can't find games is certainly an issue with MCC, but it's still something forcing me to deal with social play. While I can agree unranked play stops me from caring if I win or lose, that doesn't mean I want games where I may as well be fighting a 2v4 with or against people. I do still want games that aren't lopsided, because that's never fun, even if I have no reason to win. It's still either boring or beyond frustrating.

As I spoke on in my response to Soul, I redacted the idea it should be gone and instead opted for the idea of priority searching for other splitscreening people and last resort placing them on normal solo player's teams, potentially. Or even having an option to not search for those players. It wouldn't really be me avoiding competition so I don't see a problem, lol. But just anything to not play with people like this would be awesome. As cruel as it may sound, it is a damn hamper on my experience, as much as it may be enlightening for others. If they could have the choice to do it, I should have the choice to avoid it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NAK said:

Give me H3 MLG movement (roughly), a Projectile BR with no spread, and a game with a proper Net Code and I'd be happy. I feel like that isn't too much to ask for, but I am not very hopeful. 

It is kinda funny how 2 things completely invalidate halo 3 as a competitive title. Like there's not much you really need to fix.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@TheIcePrincess

2v4 games really isn't something that only happens when playing with/against splitscreen...I'd even argue that, if you're living in a low population area, splitscreen only helps you getting games faster.

And going by my experience, most (not all!) splitscreen players are usually around the same skill as the main account, you get you fair share of thumbless idiots but you get those even without splitscreen...

I'd guess removing the game from the game pass would help you more then removing splitscreen.

12 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Regardless of how the game turns out, I'm going to be disappointed as fucking dicks if splitscreening is able to be done in matchmaking, be it social or ranked. Every single game and experience on the MCC has been nothing but ass with them on my or the enemy's team. Keep that shit in campaign at best if you absolutely need it, and strictly to local play, but in actual MM, it impacts my ability to enjoy a game hardcore. Get. It. Out.

I officially nominate you for the Oscar for the worst opinions on Halo lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, calberto said:

@TheIcePrincess

2v4 games really isn't something that only happens when playing with/against splitscreen...I'd even argue that, if you're living in a low population area, splitscreen only helps you getting games faster.

And going by my experience, most (not all!) splitscreen players are usually around the same skill as the main account, you get you fair share of thumbless idiots but you get those even without splitscreen...

I'd guess removing the game from the game pass would help you more then removing splitscreen.

Sure it isn't exclusive to splitscreening, but is damn near guaranteed from it.

And in my experience (anecdote so, meh) I've had nothing but shitters for all but two games in recent memory. And while I do get idiots regardless of it, I'd rather not have it piled on by people who're bad and also at a hardware disadvantage. If ya feel me.

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

I officially nominate you for the Oscar for the worst opinions on Halo lol

Whatever will I do, lol.

And in my experience (anecdote so, meh) I've had nothing but shitters for all but two games in recent memory. And while I do get idiots regardless of it, I'd rather not have it piled on by people who're bad and also at a hardware disadvantage. If ya feel me.

Whatever will I do, lol.

You really shouldn’t be given such an option, tbh. And here’s why? It’s a way to force those players who have friends over, siblings to have longer mm pools and eventually stop playing.  You’re in social, you therefore have forfeited any sort of fair mm at this point. No halo has ever had party restrictions of any sort in social. Now I know what you’re thinking, “that needs to change” and I completely agree.

and in h3 you could not split screen in ranked mm UNLESS you used two accounts with gold, or that free monthly trial they’d give if you put your card on there, and a good chunk of people didn’t do this. It didn’t allow guest in ranked. 

• Like (+1) 1

If those people are so bad, why do you care about their "hardware disadvantage", a high framerate won't help if you suck.

I get your frustration but, again, having "nothing but shitters" is most likely the result of the game having just very few good players left but a bunch of shitters because it's on game pass and without those shitters, you probabaly wouldn't be able to find games in social either...

The situation sucks, I get that, but trying to make it worse for those who do enjoy splitscreen won't help you.

17 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Unfair games can happen with or without split screen. There's several other factors that can make a game a blowout, and I've even had my fair games where the opponent has split screen users and actually do really good.

All 343 needs to do is have a hidden MMR for social games. Don't necessarily make it like ranked, but matches should have players with at least a some-what close skill. So even if split screen comes into play here, at least 7 of the 8 players are near your skill and the second player on split screen would be a guess, but that wouldn't make it a complete blowout. It's not like every single game is going to have a split screen user, so the rare times it does it's just another blowout to add to the (likely several) blowouts in social anyway.

With the huge backlash 343 got from no split screen in Halo 5, I'd say chances are they're not going to restrict split-screen to anything (except hopefully ranked).

• Like (+1) 2