CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

If you could only have one, which would you prefer?

A) CE pistol - with its original traits and difficulty restored - plus sprint and spartan abilities (i.e. CE anniversary playlist in H5, but with the pistol fixed to not be an automatic 3 shot)

or

B) BR with spread and projectile bullets, but no sprint or spartan abilities (i.e. Halo 3)

B lol. The CE magnum would be just as fucking dumb as the H3 BR is, but at least in Halo 3 I'm not having to try and aim at enemies that can sprint off around corners or boost off in any direction at the touch of a button. 

The CE pistol would compensate for those abilities, not to mention you can shoot straight. In a comp settings A is pretty much better. Neither are perfect though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is it that my BR feels 10x heavier on modern aiming? I play 4 and this shit fees like 2 to me right now.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:57 AM, S0UL FLAME said:

The way I see it, 343 can do this in three different ways, with none of them being good.

Make Infinite more Classic: 

Make Infinite more Modern: 

Make Infinite a mixture of Old and New:

About the middle point, I don't even think this is the outcome I like least anymore. We're kind of stuck with whatever Frankie and the gang decide is 'good gameplay' for the foreseeable future

...but I can at least recall being 'satisfied' playing Halo 5 in the event I equip the speed booster armor mod in Warzone, and I cannot shill this armor mod enough, It is the single most perfect balance of movement I have ever experienced in a Halo game, you've got Sprint speed while shooting and more responsive strafing, and much lower jump gravity on top of increased height, and movement is SO smooth, that Sprint, Clamber, or Thruster pack are almost reduced to harmless fluff, and for the past 2 years, between that and playing in Forge, it's been among the ONLY reasons I've booted up the game in recent memory.

I'm almost concerned that there exists a way to make Spartan Abilities and all that other dreck more tolerable and 343 will conveniently miss out on this in Halo Infinite.

Of course this doesn't address the various problems in weapon balancing (when has anything they've done) but you know what it has done? Significantly limit the issues with Clamber and Sprint on map design. I really need to get more footage of using Speed Booster to post here.

23 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I liked H2A & H5 plus strongly believe Infinite will be almost as good as H3. Then again, I'm a very optimistic person.

I am too, sometimes to my own detriment, but 343 brings out the worst in me.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

B lol. The CE magnum would be just as fucking dumb as the H3 BR is, but at least in Halo 3 I'm not having to try and aim at enemies that can sprint off around corners or boost off in any direction at the touch of a button. 

Seriously. This does not add depth. It adds chaos. And even keeping thrust--there are things that cannot be accounted for regardless of skill. A get out of jail free card that adds more randomness. Tired of playing rock paper scissors. And adding Lizard and Spock does not raise the skill gap. It widens the field. I don't see how anyone could see it differently

On 1/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, Larry Sizemore said:

A) CE pistol - with its original traits and difficulty restored - plus sprint and spartan abilities (i.e. CE anniversary playlist in H5, but with the pistol fixed to not be an automatic 3 shot)

or

B) BR with spread and projectile bullets, but no sprint or spartan abilities (i.e. Halo 3)

Def H3. Sprint/abilities are so much more detrimental to the game. Most of the issues with H3 came from netcode, not spread. People don’t seem to grasp that. If a new H3 style game came out today, it’d play a lot better than it did in 07.

• Upvote (+1) 4

On 1/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, Larry Sizemore said:

or

100% the first option. We've always (H4 excluded) been able to remove stuff from the game. Adding something genuinely good is what's been missed. I'd be fine playing customs for the game's entire lifespan while they play with abilities in tournaments. Unlike some most people, apparently, I think it's more important to enjoy what you play rather than what you watch.

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Def H3. Sprint/abilities are so much more detrimental to the game. Most of the issues with H3 came from netcode, not spread. People don’t seem to grasp that. If a new H3 style game came out today, it’d play a lot better than it did in 07.

eldewrito is a blast

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 1/17/2019 at 11:17 PM, Larry Sizemore said:

or

B
I get it, H3's BR sucks and all but, as Hard Way said, code based spread was just part of the problem. I'd take it over Sprint any day

11 minutes ago, Gobias said:

100% the first option. We've always (H4 excluded) been able to remove stuff from the game. Adding something genuinely good is what's been missed. I'd be fine playing customs for the game's entire lifespan while they play with abilities in tournaments. Unlike some most people, apparently, I think it's more important to enjoy what you play rather than what you watch.

If you have a full and active friendlist, sure.
I'm not that active anymore, if I find time tp play some games, I want to hop on MM without having to worry abount not getting enough players together

Fixing spread is a hell of a lot easier than fixing everything involving sprint and abilities.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Spread was really bad on its own though. The netcode just made it worse.

Willingly putting RNG in your "competitive" game lmao imagine that. Abilities might not be the best but it doesn't make the very thing you do EVERY GAME random. Yikes on choosing spread. 

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Spread was really bad on its own though. The netcode just made it worse.

It’s not how I’d handle the weapon balance, for sure. RRR and bullet velocity ought to be enough for a dev to keep a weapon in it’s desired range. Spread is unnecessary and it hurts the game.

HOWEVER, on a good connection, it isn’t nearly as big of a deal as it’s made out to be, especially in its intended range. People are blaming their 10 shot kills on spread when it’s normally netcode causing problems. Or the not leading, which a shocking amount of people still don’t do. Or it’s them shooting base to base on standoff and getting mad that they’re not 4-ing people. At that point I just roll my eyes because people just need to understand the game they’re playing and get a little closer. The fact that you can aim at the stomach and almost entirely nullify your spread makes it a non-issue in most fights. It’s so ridiculously overblown as long as the connection is good.

Sprint and abilities turn the game into not-Halo as far as I’m concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, Larry Sizemore said:

or

I'm going to pick A, with an explanation why.

Halo 5's map and sandbox design were not fully utilized to their highest potential. Every gun is easy to use, the maps made from 343 are dog shit. The Magnum in the game is one of the few reasons I still play it, because it's one of the best utilities we've had, alongside the Zero Bloom DMR and the CE Magnum. That being said, Halo 5 has the capacity to be very enjoyable, just like the other games, but you have to strip away a lot depending on what you want. Even then, there's some things that are left to be desired.

If you just took out the H5 Magnum, and dropped the CE Magnum into its place, the game would already be more great to play. Suddenly the ease of use of the rest of the sandbox makes sense, because this powerful but difficult hand cannon keeps everything in check. This was echoed in the gametype Evolved, but it focused more on classic inspired Halo, which Guardians can only do to a horribly disappointing fault.

Let's go deeper.

If you dropped the CE Magnum in Halo 5, and simplified the sandbox for competitive modes down to Rockets, Snipe, Shotgun, AR, Plasma Pistol, Sentinel Beam, Overshield and Camo, you essentially create a callback to the original concept of Arena Shooters and the first Halo game at the same time.

Let's go even deeper.

If you dropped the CE Magnum in Halo 5, simplified the sandbox, and made the focus of the game as a 2v2, you can have a very unique experience. Quake had powerful movement, Halo CE had a powerful utility. With how fast and how far you can move with the Spartan Abilities, and with how strong and how accurate your gun is, the game turns into this flavor of Halo that's so incredibly different, yet at the same time more interesting than just about every other AAA shooter in the modern market.

But to add to all of that, you have Forge. The community has always surpassed the devs in terms of unique map design, which can be said for both Quake and Halo. Sure, you can play Truth or Plaza, but there's so many viable designs and ideas that would blow your mind. You could fight in just about any scenario, Halo inspired or not. The community could drive the game's longevity through a decade if it wasn't so split apart and at war with itself.

But yeah, that's my reasoning.

• Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Willingly putting RNG in your "competitive" game lmao imagine that. Abilities might not be the best but it doesn't make the very thing you do EVERY GAME random. Yikes on choosing spread. 

Show me on the doll where Halo 3 touched you.

• Fire (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mow said:

Show me on the doll where Halo 3 touched you.

Nowhere.  Halo 3's hands kept inexplicably missing my body, thank god.

• Fire (+1) 2

All this halo 3 talk is making me want to go play some.

Shitty Spread > Fuck loads of pointless down time to traverse shitty maps because of shoehorned abilities

Also because the next Halo game will have the DMR anyway which would be a far better utility weapon than the BR ever would be, so shitty BR spread isn't a problem because the DMR would exist. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Shitty Spread > Fuck loads of pointless down time to traverse shitty maps because of shoehorned abilities

Also because the next Halo game will have the DMR anyway which would be a far better utility weapon than the BR ever would be, so shitty BR spread isn't a problem because the DMR would exist. 

I’ve said the DMR is the perfect utility weapon. As long as it has no bloom which basically the h5 dmr has, just less aim assist which the DMR was given, although it’s AA shouldn’t change based on distances.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Knighty Knight said:

eldewrito is a blast

Played it on controller? Just got it the other week, feels pretty shit on controller to me.  

On 1/20/2019 at 5:04 AM, ChieftaiNZ said:

While I agree, there's no law saying that maps *have* to be blown to up to twice their size to accommodate those shoehorned abilities.

3 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

While I agree, there's no law saying that maps *have* to be blown to up to twice their size to accommodate those shoehorned abilities.

The thought of players sprinting around Chill Out makes my blood boil

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1