CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Idk.. wouldn’t removing sprint make Halo less accessible? I mean Fortnite is the most popular game ever and it has sprint

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gobias said:

Idk.. wouldn’t removing sprint make Halo less accessible? I mean Fortnite is the most popular game ever and it has sprint

I’ve always been curious what that means “less accessible”

alright guys heres a question me and my friend have been kicking around for a while

frank o'connor is franchise deveopment director at 343. his previous job at bungie was the content manager (website, writing manuals, etc)

so how does a man like that get access to the entirety of the halo franchise in the next job. like my personal head theory is that when games stopped doing physical manuals to save trees frankie was lfet without any kind of work and they felt bad and accidentally put him in charge of the frnachise. ROFL

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Killmachine said:

alright guys heres a question me and my friend have been kicking around for a while

frank o'connor is franchise deveopment director at 343. his previous job at bungie was the content manager (website, writing manuals, etc)

so how does a man like that get access to the entirety of the halo franchise in the next job. like my personal head theory is that when games stopped doing physical manuals to save trees frankie was lfet without any kind of work and they felt bad and accidentally put him in charge of the frnachise. ROFL

Supposedly MS went yo bungie to see who wanted to keep working on halo and join their new halo specific studio. Frank was like the first guy to jump aboard and thus got the big shiney key.

10 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Supposedly MS went yo bungie to see who wanted to keep working on halo and join their new halo specific studio. Frank was like the first guy to jump aboard and thus got the big shiney key.

Probably this. When they started building 343 industries they probably filled in the gaps starting at the top and Frank O Spindoctor was the first one to show up. 

On 1/1/2019 at 12:38 AM, Mhunterjr said:

Iirc, the dev team was split on Sprint being included. The final decision came down to a belief that the modern shooter audience feels alienated without it. 

My hope is that they now realize that there is no such basic expectation and that they should do what's best for their own gameplay loop.

Wishful thinking, I know. But we were apparently close with H5, and the constant rejection of maps and the constant need to tweak weapons and abilities SHOULD have proven that sprint harms far more than it helps. 

The initial idea that sprint was necessary stemmed from the old CoD era trends that no longer exist in to the extent that they did, anyway. As much as saying so is beating a dead horse, Halo's best move is to be its own thing apart from the crowd, and the current gaming climate supports this now more than ever given games like Fortnite (as much as I dislike it) show that things that are relatively unique can rise in popularity given the right conditions (even if there are plenty of games showing up trying to get in on the battle royale craze).

It's been obvious from the start that anything that Halo does to follow instead of make trends will only hurt its identity and its playerbase, but I figure 343 can't afford a third game that misses the mark, and the money they've thrown at the classic tournies shows that they're willing to look at the popularity of the older games to see if that's something people want again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Three Six Xero said:

The initial idea that sprint was necessary stemmed from the old CoD era trends that no longer exist in to the extent that they did, anyway. As much as saying so is beating a dead horse, Halo's best move is to be its own thing apart from the crowd, and the current gaming climate supports this now more than ever given games like Fortnite (as much as I dislike it) show that things that are relatively unique can rise in popularity given the right conditions (even if there are plenty of games showing up trying to get in on the battle royale craze).

It's been obvious from the start that anything that Halo does to follow instead of make trends will only hurt its identity and its playerbase, but I figure 343 can't afford a third game that misses the mark, and the money they've thrown at the classic tournies shows that they're willing to look at the popularity of the older games to see if that's something people want again.

In my opinion it doesn’t help that h5 tournaments viewers were people who only came to get req codes. 

16 hours ago, Killmachine said:

People "fail up" in the corporate world ALL THE TIME. Work in an Office for even just a bit and you'll notice it. Some lazy terrible person has the same hobby as the boss? That person very well could get promoted to a very high position. It sucks but it's the reality.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, xSociety said:

People "fail up" in the corporate world ALL THE TIME. Work in an Office for even just a bit and you'll notice it. Some lazy terrible person has the same hobby as the boss? That person very well could get promoted to a very high position. It sucks but it's the reality.

Yep, definitely sounds like my old job. Had 3 people (in an office of 25) get promoted over me simply because they had a similar interest with the store manager and could go chat him up all day without doing any actual work. One took a cycling class with the boss, one when on a hunting trip with him, and the other pretty much was just a brown noser. One ended up getting demoted, then quit, one got put in a position where he couldn't muck things up too much, and the last one actually turned out okay.

Sadly I don't think the likes of Bonnie or Frank are going anywhere anytime soon.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, Jake Teh Nub said:

That "flaw" is what Halo is based around. You're not guaranteed anything if you have a power weapon. This is not Perfect Dark where you have a Farsight that can insta-kill through walls across the map. You can still easily die with those weapons, especially if you are dumb with them.

In the Farsight's defense, it's not that easy to score a shot at someone, especially if they're speed-strafing across the map, and it's even more difficult to fire from the hip when they're close to you.

I'm convinced 343 haven't settled on a gameplay direction for Infinite yet. We've gotten hints at things like customisation, but nothing in-regards to the gameplay. No hints at a return to the classic style, no hints at enhanced mobility returning, nothing. i feel like if they had settled on a game play direction, we would've at least gotten hints or straight up  confirmation to build hype and anticipation, especially if they were returning to the classic Halo formula.

• Thonking (+0) 2

On 12/31/2018 at 6:30 PM, Gobias said:

Yes, because Halo, one of the most accessible shooters to ever exist, was never actually accessible until they added sprint to it. TheMoreYouKnow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

6 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

I'm convinced 343 haven't settled on a gameplay direction for Infinite yet. 

They're having heated debates over whether or not to let Spartans go prone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

You'll be able to take selfies during matches. Mark my words.

I think that every pro and everyone who enjoy Classic halo with no sprint etc should do an announcement of refusal to buy infinite IF they decide to keep it as h5. The people that really have a voice are the pros or the people involved in the competetive community. 

16 minutes ago, stagierewe said:

I think that every pro and everyone who enjoy Classic halo with no sprint etc should do an announcement of refusal to buy infinite IF they decide to keep it as h5. The people that really have a voice are the pros or the people involved in the competetive community

Hahahahahahaha 

Competitive Halo is so far in the minority is doesn't even matter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Hahahahahahaha 

Competitive Halo is so far in the minority is doesn't even matter.

Probably, but it’s also them that contribute to the e- sports scene. IF there is no e sport scene which is arguebly the biggest stage for a game to grow and bring excitement, 343 would go under.

1 hour ago, stagierewe said:

Probably, but it’s also them that contribute to the e- sports scene. IF there is no e sport scene which is arguebly the biggest stage for a game to grow and bring excitement, 343 would go under.

I think you’re overestimating our importance. The gameplay just needs to be good enough to get new players to bother sticking around (something H5 failed miserably at), and deep enough that returning players care enough to invest more time and money into (skins, assassination animations, etc). It just so happens that the classic Halo formula excels at both. The eSports scene is many notches down in importance. Make no mistake, the campaign matters WAY more to both 343 and most Halo fans.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

I think you’re overestimating our importance. The gameplay just needs to be good enough to get new players to bother sticking around (something H5 failed miserably at), and deep enough that returning players care enough to invest more time and money into (skins, assassination animations, etc). It just so happens that the classic Halo formula excels at both. The eSports scene is many notches down in importance. Make no mistake, the campaign matters WAY more to both 343 and most Halo fans.

I agree, but something has to be done in order to change the formula back to Classic halo. I don’t know it was just something that came to my mind. Because the competetive players are usually the ones that grind the game most. I just think that with sprint no matter how good gameplay or deep gameplay you have it Will brake the game. I don’t know man it’s just so frustrating seeing halo Decline like this. The game has the perfect formula and learning curve to be there on the top with games like rainbow, counter strike and fortnite.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Must be scary then. They did an even worse job for the campaign kids than they did for us with H5. Wait they screwed over the BTB players too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stagierewe said:

I agree, but something has to be done in order to change the formula back to Classic halo. I don’t know it was just something that came to my mind. Because the competetive players are usually the ones that grind the game most. I just think that with sprint no matter how good gameplay or deep gameplay you have it Will brake the game. I don’t know man it’s just so frustrating seeing halo Decline like this. The game has the perfect formula and learning curve to be there on the top with games like rainbow, counter strike and fortnite.

I agree that removing sprint would be best for business. I just don’t think eSports should be their motivation for that. There are plenty of casual players that stopped liking Halo with Reach and can’t put their finger on why. Sprint, and the rest of the movement abilities are that reason.

23 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

I'm convinced 343 haven't settled on a gameplay direction for Infinite yet. We've gotten hints at things like customisation, but nothing in-regards to the gameplay. No hints at a return to the classic style, no hints at enhanced mobility returning, nothing. i feel like if they had settled on a game play direction, we would've at least gotten hints or straight up  confirmation to build hype and anticipation, especially if they were returning to the classic Halo formula.

This got me thinking about the fact they're putting a new pro team together, maybe they will actually listen to them this time? I don't really see any good arguments against going back to the classic gameplay formula at this point, the 2 main ones I see on r/Halo (which makes me want to rip my hair out) are "you're just nostalgic!" or "if you want the old gameplay just play MCC", well pretty fast you can disprove the first one by just hopping on MCC and seeing, Oh, I STILL like the original trilogy more than any of the titles that came after, and as for the second argument, could I not just use the same logic against them? "You want Halo Infinite to be like Halo 5? Well why don't you just go play Halo 5 then!?" not to mention this argument works even better in my favor since Halo 5 was the most recent title in the series. 

To be honest, I don't know where these people even came from, why is it now taboo (on r/Halo at least, which don't be fooled, isn't even close to being the majority of overall Halo fans) to suggest that Halo should go back to a formula that was tried and proven and doesn't have the glaring flaws that the newer titles have? Yes, the original trilogy wasn't perfect, but isn't that all the more reason to go back and make it even better than it ever was? IMHO Halo has so much untapped potential, more so than any other franchise, it could be as competitive as Counter-Strike and as casual as Fortnite, but instead here we are pandering to people who wouldn't even stick around if it wasn't for all the extra gimmicks, doesn't Halo deserve better than this? It's honestly depressing to think about. 

Speaking of Fortnite, that game has also proven that you don't need to make your game as accessible as possible (as if Halo ever had a problem with accessibility to begin with) for it to still be the biggest shooter in the world currently. As for sprint, I don't see why we can't just increase the base movement speed a bit and add a FoV slider, would this not appease both the sprint and no sprint crowd?

Anyway sorry for the rant, just getting reeeeal bored of some of the dumb shit I see on r/Halo. 

• Like (+1) 7

Classic Halo didn't die. It was MURDERED! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1