CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 hours ago, Basu said:

Literally the first thing he did after getting that position was make fun of a 343-critical youtuber on Twitter by using the "let me guess you want to remove sprint and get a Halo 3.5". Doesn't really give me much faith. He did a tremendous job with H5 forge, unfortunately it was largely for nothing as 343 botched the framerate on forge maps with the WZFF update, this kind of stuff can very likely happen again. 

Otherwise I agree, there's been an exodus of some  people that definitely dragged the franchise down (Kevin Franklin, Josh Holmes - a cool dude but his stance on sprint was indefensible- , Dan Ayoob etc.)  Keep in mind though that (almost?) the entire Pro team also left last year so take that as you will.

Did he really, who? And yeah now I’m not confident because of this statement. Idk why no sprint halo equals halo 3.5, lol as if that’s a bad thing anyway when people to this day look at h3 as the pinnacle of halo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Did he really, who? And yeah now I’m not confident because of this statement. Idk why no sprint halo equals halo 3.5, lol as if that’s a bad thing anyway when people to this day look at h3 as the pinnacle of halo. 

I think it was Favyn but I'm not 100%. It was incredibly immature and the last thing I expected him to do. And yeah the "Halo 3.5" thing is just 343 apologists' ignorance truly showing. They are too dense to see that the classic Halo formula still has lots of room for growth and innovation, but they would rather settle for the 343 way of "innovation" aka shoehorning bullshit abilities from CoD and Titanfall into the game and then compromising everything else in the process. So they're too dumb to know classic Halo still has potential, therefore people want "nothing but a rehash" which leads to Halo 3.5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

He was replying to @Favynwho asked to chat after Tom said his role changed. Tom said "Let me guess, remove sprint and ADS and make it exactly like halo 2/3?" which tbf Favyn basically says in his videos over and over lol (still love him for it) so it sounded tongue in cheek to me. I imagine Favyn tweets or messages at 343 employees constantly and Tom is basically saying he knows exactly what Favyn is going to ask already. 

He later replied and said "Agreed. There's things I dont like where we've gone. Some things are out of my house but I have influence so we will see." 

What I think this meant at least at the time was they were still discussing direction. Again, that's where the cautious optimism should come in. At least classic design is on the table. 

• Like (+1) 2

I just want to put out my opinion out here and hopefully a 343 dev could see this. I started to first play halo when MCC came out, so unfortunately i didn’t experince the glory days of halo. However from that day i just got hooked. I can admit that until this day i think halo is the best competetive fps game i’ve ever touched, and i’ve played and follow many in the same genre like r6 siege and cs go just to name a few. So i wouldn’t classify myself as a hardcore halo fanboy or whatever you wanna call it. I just play the game because of the basic gameplay and mechanics it has and the competetive nature of the game and just strive to become a better halo player. I can say with my left hand up that sprint doesn’t belong in halo. 

IF 343 decides to go back to the Classic halo mechanics with infinite i don’t think, i KNOW that halo Will take back it’s crown as the leading console exklusive game. The h5 player count tells you that 343 just didn’t do the game any good.

• Like (+1) 1

"oh u wanna make it exactly like h1/h2/h3" is my conversational circuit breaker. Nobody who says that is worth engaging, it's in bad faith at best and catastrophically ignorant at worst. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Basu said:

I think it was Favyn but I'm not 100%. It was incredibly immature and the last thing I expected him to do. And yeah the "Halo 3.5" thing is just 343 apologists' ignorance truly showing. They are too dense to see that the classic Halo formula still has lots of room for growth and innovation, but they would rather settle for the 343 way of "innovation" aka shoehorning bullshit abilities from CoD and Titanfall into the game and then compromising everything else in the process. So they're too dumb to know classic Halo still has potential, therefore people want "nothing but a rehash" which leads to Halo 3.5

That’s not actually making fun of him, that’s more like “I already know what you’re going to say/ talk about”. You may agree with this person but you might just be a tad annoyed. It’s not like this guy is going to straight tell him no sprint/abilities is happening because then they wouldn’t be able to market that. The headline of 343 following classic halo will interest a lot of halo veterans who left halo(ninja example) and those who can’t find a h2/3 experience anywhere.

Hey why would a multiplayer designer be asked about things like no sprint? As far as I’m concerned this person has no real control over “gameplay”. Like this person wouldn’t be able to decide specifics.

7 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

"oh u wanna make it exactly like h1/h2/h3" is my conversational circuit breaker. Nobody who says that is worth engaging, it's in bad faith at best and catastrophically ignorant at worst. 

Like I said, he was responding to Favyn who worships Halo 3, tweets at 343 employees often and basically wants the next Halo to be almost exactly like Halo 3.

I think it's in bad taste given how the community will view it (like you have). But it doesn't concern me personally knowing the context behind it.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, VinnyMendoza said:

Constant negativity is draining.

I'm all for criticism, got a warning on my account for criticism directed to 343, haven't bought a single 343 product outside of MCC (and I wouldn't have bought it at least at launch had I really known what was coming...), but you have to admit so far with Infinite trailers, news and social streams, the huge exodus of former employees and the intake of new blood that appreciates old school Halo, things are pointing in the right direction. I am of course holding my breath until flighting and I get my hands on the game/trailers show more "classic Halo" gameplay. But I think it's good to be cautiously optimistic towards the next Halo.

I just wish promises from 343 meant anything and we weren't 11 years deep already still waiting for a real Halo game to topple Halo 3.

The biggest thing concerning me right now is the lack of trust. I'm willing to get past the distrust if Infinite somehow ends up being incredible and the ultimate tribute to Halo CE, but it won't work that way for everyone and people still may not buy it. Not at this point. Very slim chance of the aforementioned things, but it concerns me.

I mean... Infinite's news so far provides enough for me to discuss the game in good faith, but it's not 'hype' and never will be, thanks to 343, because there's zero faith that what Halo Infinite teases will actually happen, even the good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

Like I said, he was responding to Favyn who worships Halo 3, tweets at 343 employees often and basically wants the next Halo to be almost exactly like Halo 3.

I think it's in bad taste given how the community will view it (like you have). But it doesn't concern me personally knowing the context behind it.

All I'm saying is, don't be a public face of a company if you're bored of engaging the public.

If I was community rep for 343, I would never say, "oh u wanna make it CoD" to people I disagreed with, even facetiously. And that's coming from someone who wants to strangle your average Halo player.

• Upvote (+1) 3

11 hours ago, PolyG said:

I just wish promises from 343 meant anything and we weren't 11 years deep already still waiting for a real Halo game to topple Halo 3.

The biggest thing concerning me right now is the lack of trust. I'm willing to get past the distrust if Infinite somehow ends up being incredible and the ultimate tribute to Halo CE, but it won't work that way for everyone and people still may not buy it. Not at this point. Very slim chance of the aforementioned things, but it concerns me.

I mean... Infinite's news so far provides enough for me to discuss the game in good faith, but it's not 'hype' and never will be, thanks to 343, because there's zero faith that what Halo Infinite teases will actually happen, even the good.

Totally agree. More just responding to Boyo type morons who refuse to give an inch on their negativity of 343 and the next Halo game. But I assume he's trolling anyway. 

im surprised most ppl dont ever think about the time it takes to make these games and why it actually matters that they have to get it right at launch

like polyg said its been 11 years since everyone agreed was the last universally good halo game. it takes 3 years minimum for the next and its gonna likely be 5 for this one. people are growing up, going into or graduating college, having kids, etc etc. like its taking too long in people's lives to wait for a good halo game. kinda sucks

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Killmachine said:

im surprised most ppl dont ever think about the time it takes to make these games and why it actually matters that they have to get it right at launch

like polyg said its been 11 years since everyone agreed was the last universally good halo game. it takes 3 years minimum for the next and its gonna likely be 5 for this one. people are growing up, going into or graduating college, having kids, etc etc. like its taking too long in people's lives to wait for a good halo game. kinda sucks

I think about this all the time. 

It's just not worth talking about because apparently 343 doesn't think about it at all. 

when halo infinite releases sprint will have been in halo for the same amount of time that it wasn't (actually longer since it will be 2020 probs when infinite comes out) the future is fucking crazy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

There's already an equal amount of mainline Halo games that have sprint and loadouts (counting H5 Warzone here) as those who don't. It's insane.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Basu said:

There's already an equal amount of mainline Halo games that have sprint and loadouts (counting H5 Warzone here) as those who don't. It's insane.

hopefully, 343 won't try and compromise and try to make some sort of balance. 

Just cut fucking sprint, why do we have to hold on to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Are you trying to depress us or something?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How much does the change in developers matter when the higher ups in particular have remained unchanged? That's still a problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

How much does the change in developers matter when the higher ups in particular have remained unchanged? That's still a problem.

Who decides what “gameplay” they want in the game? Bonnie Ross? 

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Who decides what “gameplay” they want in the game? Bonnie Ross? 

Her, Frank O'Connor, MS ultimately.

Iirc, the dev team was split on Sprint being included. The final decision came down to a belief that the modern shooter audience feels alienated without it. 

My hope is that they now realize that there is no such basic expectation and that they should do what's best for their own gameplay loop.

Wishful thinking, I know. But we were apparently close with H5, and the constant rejection of maps and the constant need to tweak weapons and abilities SHOULD have proven that sprint harms far more than it helps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 7