CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Imagine thinking that 343 aren't actively focused on making Halo an open world franchise. Imagine playing H5 given the prior context of ODST and not picking up on 343's hinting.

Drgood baller is braver than the us marines .....

that's unsc Marines to you soldier.

Imagine thinking that 343 aren't actively focused on making Halo an open world franchise. Imagine playing H5 given the prior context of ODST and not picking up on 343's hinting.

imagine thinking it would be better than the standard leveled format.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 seems like it was supposed to use a hub concept. Iirc the early rumors and concept art suggested Locke's ship would be the main hub, and you'd fly to different planets searching for clues about Chief. Those zero-action missions would have been your ground level hubs, from which you launch into structured missions - potentially flash back missions as Chief.

Definately more ODST or Mass Effect than "open world"

She has a Halo ring though. Halo 5 Legendary ending/Halo Wars 2 ending confirmed this.

Yeah, for some reason, probably to off Flood, which are the one inherent (wink wink) weakness to her Guardians. I don't think she's gonna wantonly wipe out the galaxy, when her motive isn't genocidal.

The problem is that an open world in halo cant be interesting enough besides a potentially nice view of the landscape in order to justify its existence. Halo isn't GTA or red dead. You can't be MC walking in to get a hair cut and then go buy some stupid mask with which to cover your face as you Rob a covenant themed 7/11.

There's not much variation on forerunner worlds.

Requiem wants a word with you, lol. Granted, I'm not necessarily arguing for open world shit, I find it's not really utilized well and those who can utilize it well work on and with entirely different games. But Forerunner stuff can have tons of variety and maybe work in open world. In concept. On paper. With pencil. 

Halo 5 seems like it was supposed to use a hub concept. Iirc the early rumors and concept art suggested Locke's ship would be the main hub, and you'd fly to different planets searching for clues about Chief. Those zero-action missions would have been your ground level hubs, from which you launch into structured missions - potentially flash back missions as Chief.

Definately more ODST or Mass Effect than "open world"

Yeah, Infinity and Sanghelios were to be hub worlds. Can be seen in the guns-down missions on the latter, especially. 

Am I the only one that misses Timesplitters/Ghost Recon 2/Syphon Filter Omega Strain/Perfect Dark/Goldeneye mission structure?  I just want to load into a map with a list of failable optional objectives scattered throughout, that I can complete in any order. I want to have to replay missions to complete objectives I initially failed. I want to have to replay missions to figure out a more efficient route to get a better time/score (and unlock the reward associated with it). I'd also love to have an incentive to finishing the mission with the Iron skull on, because back in the day you used to have to finish those missions in a single life, and they were so tense as you got closer to the end. Actually an incentive to beat the missions with every individual skull would be nice. A simple check-box and some rewards tied to it would suffice.

• Upvote (+1) 9

imagine thinking it would be better than the standard leveled format.

Imagine thinking the standard level format is perfect.

Like, just under half the missions in a given Halo game are truly standout. This has never changed. The best missions are the best and the rest, while decent, are just 'there'. They flesh out the narrative, but gameplay-wise they aren't holding up to better missions, and it's because most of them don't offer varied objectives aside from 'kill things to go forward, but also narrative' and 'kill things to go forward except this time in a vehicle' and the occasional wave defense. I think that's good, mind you, but on replays it becomes clear there is a pattern and missions can become very stagnant after a while as this process is done in the same order 90% of the time.

This is why people hold missions like 'Halo' and 'The Ark' and 'ONI Swordbase' in such high regard. You can have varied experiences on repeat playthroughs.

Going open-world doesn't fix all of this but you can at least do things out of order.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In terms of campaign, a Far Cry type of open world would be awful and another example of 343 chasing market trends instead of understanding anything about what makes their games good. If they really want to try something new with a bigger scale, they could go for something like Metroid Prime, but I don't think that would work well within Halo's formula. I don't see how you could do co-op in that type of world or how you can handle progression without different power ups.

I think it'd be pretty nice if they went for something like Crysis, but even that is served by the wide variety of abilities the player has, whereas hopefully Infinite is going to be classic, without any Spartan Abilities. The only way I can see that working very well is if the campaign has Spartan Abilities and multiplayer does not.

Yeah, for some reason, probably to off Flood, which are the one inherent (wink wink) weakness to her Guardians. I don't think she's gonna wantonly wipe out the galaxy, when her motive isn't genocidal.

Requiem wants a word with you, lol. Granted, I'm not necessarily arguing for open world shit, I find it's not really utilized well and those who can utilize it well work on and with entirely different games. But Forerunner stuff can have tons of variety and maybe work in open world. In concept. On paper. With pencil.

Requiem was nice looking but what exactly can you put on it that would make exploration worthwhile? There really can only be the same kind of facilities and enemies. It's certainly pretty but that's all you'd get out of it. It'd be Sea of boredom all over again.

Imagine thinking the standard level format is perfect.

Like, just under half the missions in a given Halo game are truly standout. This has never changed. The best missions are the best and the rest, while decent, are just 'there'. They flesh out the narrative, but gameplay-wise they aren't holding up to better missions, and it's because most of them don't offer varied objectives aside from 'kill things to go forward, but also narrative' and 'kill things to go forward except this time in a vehicle' and the occasional wave defense. I think that's good, mind you, but on replays it becomes clear there is a pattern and missions can become very stagnant after a while as this process is done in the same order 90% of the time.

This is why people hold missions like 'Halo' and 'The Ark' and 'ONI Swordbase' in such high regard. You can have varied experiences on repeat playthroughs.

Going open-world doesn't fix all of this but you can at least do things out of order.

no one said it was perfect. Going open world doesn't fix the issues that you may have with the level format. It just brings more problems.

People have yet to demonstrate was fundamentally wrong with the traditional format.

• Upvote (+1) 3

no one said it was perfect. Going open world doesn't fix the issues that you may have with the level format. It just brings more problems.

People have yet to demonstrate was fundamentally wrong with the traditional format.

Halo 3 ODST is proof that the traditional format is very limited. There's things to do outside the mission objective.

No one's really saying anything was wrong with it, but I don't mind a detour from it.

Halo 3 ODST is proof that the traditional format is very limited. There's things to do outside the mission objective.

odst isn't open world. It just has a large-ish hub. Which I've said that I'm fine with.

No one's really saying anything was wrong with it, but I don't mind a detour from it.

uuuuuhhhhhh

ODST is proof that walking around an empty city is boring as hell. The game nailed atmosphere and the actual missions were cool, but fuck do I have terrible memories of getting lost in a city that all looks the same and where you can't see shit. No thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

ODST is proof that walking around an empty city is boring as hell. The game nailed atmosphere and the actual missions were cool, but fuck do I have terrible memories of getting lost in a city that all looks the same and where you can't see shit. No thanks.

Yes because that's exactly what Halo Infinite would be right? Just a dark city the whole time.

The formula and mission design in CE/2/3 was fine. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, just don't make shit missions. Halo 5's story was dogshit, but the campaign missions are actually pretty fun to play. Running down the Guardian is easily a top 5 moment in a Halo campaign for me, and some of the environments and vehicle sections were actually pretty good. The Sanghelios missions were some of the best looking environments in a Halo game and were actually pretty fun. Definitely better than 4's run down different types of corridors to press a button formula. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yes because that's exactly what Halo Infinite would be right? Just a dark city the whole time.

If you make the world 100x larger there will inevitably be repeated sections. Either that or the game will come out in 2022. Oh and a larger world means even more time lost "exploring" aka walking around even more aimlessly. I don't care if it's a city, desert, snowy mountains or underwater. Shit gets boring real fast and there's almost zero repayabily with such game design, whereas people go back to the good mission of CE, H2 3 and even Reach all the time.

Oh and forget split screen campaigns if they make the world 1000 times bigger than the average BTB map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only one that misses Timesplitters/Ghost Recon 2/Syphon Filter Omega Strain/Perfect Dark/Goldeneye mission structure? I just want to load into a map with a list of failable optional objectives scattered throughout, that I can complete in any order. I want to have to replay missions to complete objectives I initially failed. I want to have to replay missions to figure out a more efficient route to get a better time/score (and unlock the reward associated with it). I'd also love to have an incentive to finishing the mission with the Iron skull on, because back in the day you used to have to finish those missions in a single life, and they were so tense as you got closer to the end. Actually an incentive to beat the missions with every individual skull would be nice. A simple check-box and some rewards tied to it would suffice.

You aren't the only one. I do think this would be a better approach than an open world and would be a fitting way to advance the "open feeling" CE & 3 provided at times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Black ops 2 had those failable missions that even affected the story. Cool concept

Lowkey, how do you get lost, lmao. The city isn't GTA, it's at best a few hundred meters of a walk between objectives, of which there is only one way to go most of the time. There's a nav marker and a map that gives you an explicit path. And the VISR which coats pathways in a bright light.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Am I the only one that misses Timesplitters/Ghost Recon 2/Syphon Filter Omega Strain/Perfect Dark/Goldeneye mission structure?  I just want to load into a map with a list of failable optional objectives scattered throughout, that I can complete in any order. I want to have to replay missions to complete objectives I initially failed. I want to have to replay missions to figure out a more efficient route to get a better time/score (and unlock the reward associated with it). I'd also love to have an incentive to finishing the mission with the Iron skull on, because back in the day you used to have to finish those missions in a single life, and they were so tense as you got closer to the end. Actually an incentive to beat the missions with every individual skull would be nice. A simple check-box and some rewards tied to it would suffice.

Hitman 2?

Hitman 2?

Haven't played it, but yes, absolutely. I want unique missions like Halo has and open world games don't, but I also want non-linear mission structure. I love loading into the level and having my choice of what I want to tackle first. I also love actually being able to fail things, so that I can try again later and figure it out. Syphon Filter: Omega Strain was amazing at this, and it might be my favorite mission structure I've ever played.