CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I'd rather have a trailer with a glimpse into the future, ala 2013, over nothing at all. I'd have rather not had last year again, lmao.

See I don't know if I'd be more disappointed if we got nothing than I am after seeing that "reveal."

I'd rather have a trailer with a glimpse into the future, ala 2013, over nothing at all. I'd have rather not had last year again, lmao.

It just didn't show anything I strongly care about. I actually liked Halo 5's art. Maybe not as much as some of the older games but I didn't think it was bad. A new engine is cool, but we don't really know what makes it special, like what makes it better than Unreal or Frostbite?

Maybe the trailer just wasn't made for me or the circles I run with, which is fine but just unfortunate.

A new engine is cool, but we don't really know what makes it special, like what makes it better than Unreal or Frostbite?

They don't have to pay to license it lol.

• Upvote (+1) 7

new engine is cool, but we don't really know what makes it special, like what makes it better than Unreal or Frostbite?

It'll be their engine so they'll be able to do more with it. They'll know more about it and be able to tweak it more than if it was either Frostbite or Unreal. They'll be able to specialize it for Halo. Look at at all the problems PUBG is having with bugs because they're licensing someone else's engine.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm hoping it will play more like the older games. By that I mean on a Halo ring, more open in the level design and without a bunch of other people around. Just MC and occasionally some Marines, everyone else can buzz off.

That's kind of the vibe I got from the teaser trailer.

Halo: Infinite Warfare

Wallrunning confirmed.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Honestly I'm just interested in the flights and feedback part of the article. I really want to just play and give feedback before everything is close to final. I don't even care if its not a super classic Halo I just want it to make sense. I'm not really against change or improvement. I just want the changes to actually be improvements if they're going to exist

• Upvote (+1) 2

It'll be their engine so they'll be able to do more with it. They'll know more about it and be able to tweak it more than if it was either Frostbite or Unreal. They'll be able to specialize it for Halo. Look at at all the problems PUBG is having with bugs because they're licensing someone else's engine.

Lol the engine is not pubg's problem.... If you look at almost every other game based off UE4, Pubg's problems are the exception not the rule.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tbh with pubg the problem is that they're not actually a real and talented studio. They had a good idea with a rudimentary implementation. The big boys are going to take everything from them while they struggle with performance

• Upvote (+1) 1

"We still have a long way to go"
Well, that was pretty unexpected. Most of us thought we would be getting a new Halo pretty soon.

Back in 2014 343i stated that the Halo 5 beta was incredibly helpful for the development of the game and that they were considering the idea of having betas 1 year before release for future Halo titles as well.

At this point I'm expecting an Open Beta to come next year and the release set for 2020 (damn, new decade).

I'm happy they are taking their time for the new engine and the classic story focused campaign, although I would expect the multiplayer to be built on Halo 5 Mechanics.

With all this time at their disposal they won't really have many excuses for not delivering an amazing game.

"So, we've got some fans that are concerned about our 'follow the leader' approach with respect to chasing industry trends. Right now, they're worried we're going to lose track of everything and go Battle Royale." 

"Let's make our reveal not even clarify what genre of game it is." 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

See I don't know if I'd be more disappointed if we got nothing than I am after seeing that "reveal."

While I'm not advocating for a world where we lower our standards for the sake of being impressed or excited, or saying "be excited you got anything at all", I'd be damn disappointed if we just got another year of HaWOL. Getting a simple trailer with classic Halo (Ew) vibes, a title announcement and some interesting little tidbits of lore (Zeta Halo, and all, alongside a date of 2560) is fine. At worst, harmless. At best, a pretty good basic kickstart for a suffering franchise that may be on the mends, provided MCC plans go very well along with this. I'd rather have harmless than nothing at all here.

It just didn't show anything I strongly care about. I actually liked Halo 5's art. Maybe not as much as some of the older games but I didn't think it was bad. A new engine is cool, but we don't really know what makes it special, like what makes it better than Unreal or Frostbite?

Maybe the trailer just wasn't made for me or the circles I run with, which is fine but just unfortunate.

It's not a matter of being better than Unreal, or Frostbite, though. They don't really compete with one another. I just hope it's better than Halo 5's and by extension, the old Halo engine, and allows for the riddance of some shit legacy stuff, since they're effectively replacing it here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dont know if I should be excited? A more Classic art style is awesome, but we know nothing about the gameplay and thats the most important thing for a game.

Hmm. Time will tell. I'm betting on an MCC on PC announcement at the PC Gaming Show tomorrow, especially after it was revealed Infinite is on PC (And is a continuation of the main story.) What better way to let PC players catch up on the game's story before the release of Infinite than releasing MCC on PC? (Much like how they made Halo Wars Definite Edition for PC so that people would be up to date on the story in Halo Wars 2.)

They very very specifically advertised the tech and gave the engine it's own branding. This seems to me like this will be Microsoft's own internal engine for any of their studios to use similar to Frostbite and Dunia and not something just for halo. That's a giant project and explains why they have been hiring so many higher level "Engineer" positions. The video was way more of a tech demo than anything else so I wouldn't try to make any judgements about gameplay from it.

Agree with that. Building new engines all the time is a massive amount of work. The engine looks ok I guess, not sure what is unique about it though. I guess MS would prefer to use an in-house engine and have control instead of existing engines.

All I can say about this in reference to Halo is I liked the art style of the helmet. Beyond that nothing really to discuss...

I would expect the multiplayer to be built on Halo 5 Mechanics.

With all this time at their disposal they won't really have many excuses for not delivering an amazing game.

I wouldn't, with what a failure Halo 5 was. Hopefully, the lesson has been learned: people don't want to play a Halo game that features game breaking mechanics. Either they will us original formula, which is what almost everyone in the world wants, or Halo's popularity will continue to decline.

You took off work for E3? Da fuq...

Nope. I took off for Halo. 2 games on this Earth I care about. Halo and Zelda. Dont care for anything else. So to me, this is down right the most underwhelming Halo announcement by far. This could have been a release trailer in January ffs. Secrete neighbor showed more than Halo for crying out loud. I really dont know how to feel about this, but I know the lack of anything truly substantial on the dawn of the 3 year cycle makes me very frustrated and if theyre holding back to sell the new console, which I suspect, I dont even care. Ill stick with PUBG. It really seems like Halo just isnt important to Microsoft anymore 

It's not a matter of being better than Unreal, or Frostbite, though. They don't really compete with one another. I just hope it's better than Halo 5's and by extension, the old Halo engine, and allows for the riddance of some shit legacy stuff, since they're effectively replacing it here.

Your statement that I bolded is definitely correct, I realized when I read it though that I didn't make my original point clear.

I meant more that if they said the next Halo would be built in Unreal, I would be just as excited. Since I don't know anything about the capabilities of this new engine, I only know "new engine", it does nothing to excite me.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. New engine is good, I agree. It's not enough to make me excited personally though.

So apparently the game isn't coming out until 2020... Do they expect us to play Halo 5 for 2 more years? I quit that shit like the first month of its release. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can someone tell me why they would show a teaser for a new engine with some of the assets looking like that? Those animals looked downright mediocre. 

• Upvote (+1) 2