CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Being a fan is having the ability to critique the game in a negative and positive spotlight.

So, something happened and you guys missed it. 

All I see is a model

And "real fans" like goodballer are why Halo has been so poor... They just keep buying regardless of quality.

Find this argument just as dumb. I've bought every Halo released in the past eight years (Obviously before, too.), and while I do think they entirely succeeded in some aspects that the prior ones can't come close to touching, I disagree that I'm part of a problem for simply being a fan, and buying what others perceive to be shit. Obviously, there are extremes, but they are a minority, and I doubt they're the ones keeping Halo in its "poor" state, even if they do buy everything, given the financial gains from them are lower than the fans who left. Just feel the generalization focused on people who bought the games, lol. Not the people who argue for games or mechanics in a poor fashion.

And based on the Halo 5 Forge PC release it'll be the best way to play because it'll be the only platform/control combo that doesn't have fucked aiming.

The devs assisting 343i in creating Infinite on PC and console are the same ones who fucked up mouse aiming and fixed gamepad aiming. So in theory, gamepad will be fine across the board (If not stellar based on how gamepad feels for H5GPC) and mouse aiming will be fucked hardcore.

Being a fan is having the ability to critique the game in a negative and positive spotlight.

I'd more so say being logical provides you that ability, be you a fan or not. Because while I see some shit arguments about newer and older Halos alike, I wouldn't be calling people not-fans for having potentially poor criticism, or having it fly over their heads. They're fans of the franchise for good or bad reasons, regardless. But I unrealistically hope we can get to a point where we do think like this. Where you can critique or acknowledge a game as poor in some regards but still be able to enjoy it. Oddly hard for some reason.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't want macworld halo though. What's this obsession with open world halo? Like I get having a hub in the same manner that odst did but that was really only a quasi open world. Having an exploratory halo campaign with quests would be the dumbest shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't want macworld halo though. What's this obsession with open world halo? Like I get having a hub in the same manner that odst did but that was really only a quasi open world. Having an exploratory halo campaign with quests would be the dumbest shit.

I think he was more suggesting that the Macworld halo trailer was an inspirations for the Halo Infinite trailer.

He went on to talk about how CE did a great job creating the illusion that you were marooned on a giant open world - even if you were playing in a confined space.

I think (hope) that's the feel they are going for with infinite.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What's this obsession with open world halo?

This was the very first idea Bungie had wanted from the beginning, and 343 are gonna take it for a spin with their own hodgepodge of classic and modern Halo. It wouldn't feel wrong to assume that an expansive open world campaign (or a very big quasi open world like Destiny except with much more to do) is one of the biggest reasons they had to finally drop the old engine for the Slipspace one.

This idea also makes sense if you have the foreknowledge of just how important this particular Halo ring is. Lore nerds are going bonkers over what kind of crazy shit you'll uncover in the campaign, and are probably going even more bonkers knowing it's been inspired by Macworld Halo.

Unless the main platform for H6 is the PC and people play tournaments with a KB/M, I promise you no one outside of people who are still Halo fans will care about it a month after it comes out.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Prediction for the campaign: Open-world on a Halo Ring. Beam-emitters are fast travel points. I expect RDR2:Halo Edition. Why else take a few extra years and create a new engine. 

I mean; I don't really have a preference for either style of Halo campaign. I think CE's level design does its job well and I also think Halo 3 ODST's level design does its job well. Whenever Halo has problems with levels it usually doesn't come down to the simple fact that it was too linear or too open. There are always bigger factors.

But I don't think Infinite being open world would be a dealbreaker. Again, it would come from other mistakes brought on by this change.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let me put it this way:

Unless it's a fully fledged RPG, open world is wasted. Red dead only gets away with it because it's world has frankly a completely ridiculous amount of detail. It's extremely long form story telling is better served for it.

But a open world halo? It's be like farcry but with less to do. How many unique locations can there be on a halo? Not a whole lot. Farcry halo would be dumb. It'd be derivative and entirely needless. Farcry is itself a boring and overbuilt experience. A simple hub world I can stomach. Open world could not possible be fleshed out enough to warrant it's inclusion.

Inb4 Chief is burning pot fields with a flamethrower while dubstep blasts in the background...

Halo is at it's best when it's embracing it's roots that really go back to the original Doom.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let me put it this way:

Unless it's a fully fledged RPG, open world is wasted. Red dead only gets away with it because it's world has frankly a completely ridiculous amount of detail. It's extremely long form story telling is better served for it.

But a open world halo? It's be like farcry but with less to do. How many unique locations can there be on a halo? Not a whole lot. Farcry halo would be dumb. It'd be derivitive and entirely needless. Farcry is itself a boring and overbuilt experience.

Inb4 Chief is burning pot fields with a flamethrower while dubstep blasts in the background...

I'd expect it to be rpg-esque in the same way that modern Assassins Creed games are RPGs. Maybe upgrade the armor throughout the campaign, get some new abilities, upgrades for weapons, etc. As far as locations: I could see "raiding" Ancient forerunner "dungeons"/installations, and covenant bases being a thing as well. 

I could be completely off base, but that is the vibe I get from the trailer, and 343 loves following industry trends (Linear Campaigns are essentially dead). Plus it is Halo "infinite" and that fits with the name change/why they'd completely overhaul the engine. 

(I also expect the Campaign and Multiplayer to be almost entirely separate.) 

Let me put it this way:

But a open world halo? It's be like farcry but with less to do. How many unique locations can there be on a halo? Not a whole lot. Farcry halo would be dumb. It'd be derivative and entirely needless. Farcry is itself a boring and overbuilt experience. A simple hub world I can stomach. Open world could not possible be fleshed out enough to warrant it's inclusion.

Halo is at it's best when it's embracing it's roots that really go back to the original Doom.

ODST's world isn't anywhere near as big as RDR2 or Far Cry. You can rest assured I am not talking anywhere near that size when referring to Halo Infinite.

Infinite is an awful game story wise for open world if it continues where Halo 5 left off.

Cortana has control of a Halo ring and thousands of Guardians that can kill billions of lifeforms in an instant, and so the next game will presumable be about Chief racing against the clock to beat Cortana before she can do this. So yeah since open world stories move at the pace of the player, a 'save literally the entire galaxy before literally everyone gets fucking killed' is a not a good combo.

"Quick Chief you have to stop the ring from firing!"

"Hold on I've got to do this side mission for this Marine squad right now"

EVERYONE FUCKING DIES

Infinite is an awful game story wise for open world if it continues where Halo 5 left off.

Cortana has control of a Halo ring and thousands of Guardians that can kill billions of lifeforms in an instant, and so the next game will presumable be about Chief racing against the clock to beat Cortana before she can do this. So yeah since open world stories move at the pace of the player, a 'save literally the entire galaxy before literally everyone gets fucking killed' is a not a good combo.

"Quick Chief you have to stop the ring from firing!"

"Hold on I've got to do this side mission for this Marine squad right now"

EVERYONE FUCKING DIES

The Guardians do not kill billions of lifeforms in an instant. They render technology inoperable in most cases, which can result in death, but isn't an inherent killer. Everyone that can be fucked IS already fucked by Halo 5's ending, given that's when Cortana's plan went into motion. Currently, Infinite's about reversing it. Cortana's also explained she won't kill people, but will just use Composers on those who oppose her rule to essentially turn them into Knights, slaves working for her goal of an imperialistic peace under the Mantle. You could have a realistically open world, slower paced game about that when Cortana isn't actively attempting to kill things and doesn't want to.

The Guardians do not kill billions of lifeforms in an instant. They render technology inoperable in most cases, which can result in death, but isn't an inherent killer. Everyone that can be fucked IS already fucked by Halo 5's ending, given that's when Cortana's plan went into motion. Currently, Infinite's about reversing it. Cortana's also explained she won't kill people, but will just use Composers on those who oppose her rule to essentially turn them into Knights, slaves working for her goal of an imperialistic peace under the Mantle. You could have a realistically open world, slower paced game about that when Cortana isn't actively attempting to kill things and doesn't want to.

She has a Halo ring though. Halo 5 Legendary ending/Halo Wars 2 ending confirmed this.

The problem is that an open world in halo cant be interesting enough besides a potentially nice view of the landscape in order to justify its existence. Halo isn't GTA or red dead. You can't be MC walking in to get a hair cut and then go buy some stupid mask with which to cover your face as you Rob a covenant themed 7/11.

There's not much variation on forerunner worlds.

I'm struggling to imagine how a fully open world halo would work. You're on a ring world that is mostly inhabited by wildlife? Sure there's plenty to explore, but who are you going to interact with? Where would the side quests come from? How do you make the space in between missions consistently engaging?

What would make much more sense to me is an ODST-style hub world. Or even a Mass Effect styled one- where you fast travel to different hubs, but actual missions primarily occur in campaign spaces, some of which are pretty open for exploration.

Anyone who thinks an open world Halo CAN'T work is simply unimaginative.

Not every open world game has to be like RDR. Spiderman is open world and you never go rob things or get a haircut. Hell ODST is kinda open world already. Metroid Prime is open world FPS and is a top 5 game of all time in my books.

I could imagine the trailer hints at stuff you would be doing ie helping your Marines and searching for Forerunner technology and artifacts possibly to combat Cortana with. Much like Metroid Prime.

The exploration itself would be the engaging part as long as they do it well. Don't have huge swaths of empty space and dumb fetch quests. If they avoid that it'll be a good game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

No more speculation I found the gameplay trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEfXcfKcwN8&app=desktop

Still a better story line than H5. This is the best thing I've seen on the internet all week lmao.

OT: Open world Halo would be boring as fuck. I already found ODST a snoozefest aside from the flashback missions and the finale. Give me a world 10x that size and I will literally skip the campaign (again).

Halo campaign mission work best when there's a clear objective but how to get there is kind of left to the player. Case in point: H3s the Ark and Covenant missions, Silent Cartographer in CE. Anything that gives more freedom than that would just result in people getting lost or bored to death. (the same is true for missions that are too linear, aka Library, H2s Flood missions, H3s Cortana these suck just as much but for the opposite reasons).

Halo also has no RPG style upgrades or weapon upgrades, aside from the dreaded H4 MP and H5 WZ. Unlocking new perks for Chief would just feel off.

Give me these semi-linear missions, a good variety of open vehicle sections and CQC, a non-awful storyline and I'll be happy. No need to reinvent the wheel and especially 343 should know that they need to stop being so overly ambitious (aka delusional) because so far they have failed three times because of it, MCC being the best example. Just make a fairly vanilla Halo game, there's no need for all the bells and whistles which usually turn out to be smoke and mirrors anyways.

Anyone who thinks an open world Halo CAN'T work is simply unimaginative.

Not every open world game has to be like RDR. Spiderman is open world and you never go rob things or get a haircut. Hell ODST is kinda open world already. Metroid Prime is open world FPS and is a top 5 game of all time in my books.

I could imagine the trailer hints at stuff you would be doing ie helping your Marines and searching for Forerunner technology and artifacts possibly to combat Cortana with. Much like Metroid Prime.

The exploration itself would be the engaging part as long as they do it well. Don't have huge swaths of empty space and dumb fetch quests. If they avoid that it'll be a good game.

Its not that people haven't imagined that - its that it doesn't sound any more engaging than having structured missions that see you doing those same things.

ODST isn't really an open world, is a hub world - the main map just provides a route to structured missions. That kind of design would be preferable.

What makes or breaks a truly open world is how engaging the experience is between missions. Is it fun to traverse, get into combat, interact with npcs, do side missions etc those are the areas that I can't see a being a strong suit in an open world halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3