CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

You have no idea how much I wanted to neg you. I was really banking on something at X018. I knew it would be a quick turnaround but I was hopeful for a very sharp vertical slice showing like ten seconds of gameplay. Similar to the Conan bit for H4 if anybody remembers that.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I won't give a shit about this game until they confirm that the game won't have any spartan abilities, including sprint. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

The rumor about a late 2019 launch for SP and 2020 for MP seems more and more plausible. If the full game were to ship fall 2019 they'd have to start announcing the beta at some point, unless they're gonna go the CoD/BF route and have a "beta" aka glorified network stress test two months before launch.

The rumor about a late 2019 launch for SP and 2020 for MP seems more and more plausible. If the full game were to ship fall 2019 they'd have to start announcing the beta at some point, unless they're gonna go the CoD/BF route and have a "beta" aka glorified network stress test two months before launch.

Gears 5 is slated for 2019 and I would assume that would be late, do you really put the two against each other? I feel they need at least a two or three month gap but preferrably more. I still think Infinite as a full title sometime in 2020 is more realistic.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I will die of laughter if they launch the game without a functioning mp. After the disasters of the MCC and h5 launches it'd be a new level of total refusal to learn from their mistakes.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Halo infinite is not coming out next year lol it most certainly is coming out in 2020. I am no tech guy but making an engine (if this is indeed a new one and not just shitty marketing terms, halo 5 was apparently a brand new engine LOL) seems like a lot of work and they still are hiring people to work on it. Not to mention theres no beta at the end of this year like they did for h5.

Idk how much worth bonnie ross's word is but she did say every future halo would have a beta going forward from this and h5's was like a year in advance. I guess they can ditch that plan but then it'll be a demo if they just reveal it at e3 and change nothing.

Halo infinite is not coming out next year lol it most certainly is coming out in 2020. I am no tech guy but making an engine (if this is indeed a new one and not just shitty marketing terms, halo 5 was apparently a brand new engine LOL) seems like a lot of work and they still are hiring people to work on it. Not to mention theres no beta at the end of this year like they did for h5.

Idk how much worth bonnie ross's word is but she did say every future halo would have a beta going forward from this and h5's was like a year in advance. I guess they can ditch that plan but then it'll be a demo if they just reveal it at e3 and change nothing.

I still think they should/are going to ditch the holiday release schedule and release it sometime in february or march.  Probably 2020.  I hate the holiday time of year because there are a bunch of games i want to play, but they all come out so close together i only buy maybe 2 of them.  This year i think RDR2 and Spiderman get the nod at the expense of Tomb Raider, Fallout 76 and probably Blops 4.  If they were spread out a little better i would buy more.

halo is still a big franchise even though it isnt what it used to be. they are not missing out on a holiday release schedule for it, guarantee. that's the time when they will make back up costs significantly

No lie, fallout 76 looks fucking stupid.

Yeah, it was going to be the opposite where i skipped spiderman and picked up fallout 76, but with the embargo that was just lifted showing gameplay it looks... bad.  Not having NPC's was a bad choice.  I basically wanted Fallout 3/4 with more regular updates that i could play co-op with my friends or with matchmaking. Not some survival game where all the story is told via terminals and audio logs.

halo is still a big franchise even though it isnt what it used to be. they are not missing out on a holiday release schedule for it, guarantee. that's the time when they will make back up costs significantly

But... why?  God of War sold over 5 million copies in March, Legend of Zelda BoTW sold almost 8.5 million after its March release, on a platform that has less sales than Xbox One. Monster Hunter World sold over 10 million copies between its January console release and August PC release. Horizon Zero Dawn was released in February and sold almost 8 million copies within a year, as a brand new IP with no existing fanbase.  People play and buy games all year round.  Gamers are getting older and buying shit for themselves whenever they want  it.  Games used to have to rely on a large part of their sales coming from parents buying shit for their kids during the holidays, and that simply isn't nearly as big of a consideration as it used to be.

Releasing outside of the holiday window would give Halo the advantage of being the only shooter in town for a while and also build up some goodwill and sales via word-of-mouth between the initial release and the holidays. After the last few Halo games, Infinite will most certainly need to be a great, complete game at launch and have a long tail of sales over the months after release as skeptical people hear "Hey this game actually doesn't suck this time" (hopefully).  Staying outside of the window where the next big shiny thing comes along just a few weeks later and takes up all the attention will be good for Halo.

Edit - FUCK double post

• Upvote (+1) 2

But... why?  God of War sold over 5 million copies in March, Legend of Zelda BoTW sold almost 8.5 million after its March release, on a platform that has less sales than Xbox One. Monster Hunter World sold over 10 million copies between its January console release and August PC release. Horizon Zero Dawn was released in February and sold almost 8 million copies within a year, as a brand new IP with no existing fanbase.  People play and buy games all year round.  Gamers are getting older and buying shit for themselves whenever they want  it.  Games used to have to rely on a large part of their sales coming from parents buying shit for their kids during the holidays, and that simply isn't nearly as big of a consideration as it used to be.

Releasing outside of the holiday window would give Halo the advantage of being the only shooter in town for a while and also build up some goodwill and sales via word-of-mouth between the initial release and the holidays. After the last few Halo games, Infinite will most certainly need to be a great, complete game at launch and have a long tail of sales over the months after release as skeptical people hear "Hey this game actually doesn't suck this time" (hopefully).  Staying outside of the window where the next big shiny thing comes along just a few weeks later and takes up all the attention will be good for Halo.

Edit - FUCK double post

Not going to lie I don't think it matters what time of year Halo releases in but I would be wary of comparing a failing series to any of the stuff you listed off. I actually think releasing away from the holidays is a good look for Halo because, imo, it actually can't compete anymore in that time frame. Its just a sick way to get some sales and watch the player base instantly get snatched by CoD. So yeah +1

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everyone is going to buy it anyways because Bethesda game and Mainstream AAA game.

But, yeah.  Before anything was really announced I assumed it would just be another No Mans Sky or Sea of Thieves, another lackluster "make your own fun" running simulator with little to actually do.  And the recent footage I've seen so far has seemed to prove me right.

I dunno.  I'll watch more footage to get a better idea, see if it changes before release, but I'm not impressed so far.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Everyone is going to buy it anyways because Bethesda game and Mainstream AAA game.

But, yeah.  Before anything was really announced I assumed it would just be another No Mans Sky or Sea of Thieves, another lackluster "make your own fun" running simulator with little to actually do.  And the recent footage I've seen so far has seemed to prove me right.

I dunno.  I'll watch more footage to get a better idea, see if it changes before release, but I'm not impressed so far.

I just hate the direct bethesda is taking the series. I love 1, 2 and new vegas and really only like 3 because i started with it. Still wouldnt consider it a good game really. 4 is just garbage imo.

the parallels between bethesdas direction for fallout and 343s for halo are pretty obvious at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not going to lie I don't think it matters what time of year Halo releases in but I would be wary of comparing a failing series to any of the stuff you listed off. I actually think releasing away from the holidays is a good look for Halo because, imo, it actually can't compete anymore in that time frame. Its just a sick way to get some sales and watch the player base instantly get snatched by CoD. So yeah +1

Yeah also an excellent point.  When you can compete effectively for sales and loyalty with CoD, Battlefield, etc then sure release whenever.  But you're right, Halo simply can't do that right now, and hasn't been able to for some time.  Another reason to release away from the holiday season.

they're not even sharing release date information, nor have we seen any gameplay of the thing. if it's coming early 2020 or whatever, don't you think we'd have a beta announced by now? especially if they're doing a beta for it. i think this game is a long way away, considering they seem to be hiring a ton of new people and a lot of old people have left.

they're not even sharing release date information, nor have we seen any gameplay of the thing. if it's coming early 2020 or whatever, don't you think we'd have a beta announced by now? especially if they're doing a beta for it. i think this game is a long way away, considering they seem to be hiring a ton of new people and a lot of old people have left.

If the beta is a year from release, everyone needs to either file so much criticism that they're forced to change a lot of the base game, or basically just give up. I don't have much faith in the gameplay department of Infinite, rather I'm more interested in the Campaign and Forge. There's always a decent Halo you can dig out of every squandered title of the series, but the question for most of us by now is "Why bother?" 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I already have Rust, and the idea of a MMO survival game that tries everything to force players away from PvP sounds lame. PvP is the end-game content in these games, and Fallout is going to be fucking awful for PvP. 

I'm confused. Bethesda release a subpar game (graphics, gameplay, storytelling, animation, effects...) and yet people are shocked when the next one is also subpar.

I'm confused. Bethesda release a subpar game (graphics, gameplay, storytelling, animation, effects...) and yet people are shocked when the next one is also subpar.

Eh we aren't shocked, just stating the obvious.  As I said I suspected from the moment of announcement it would be mediocre.

I just hate the direct bethesda is taking the series. I love 1, 2 and new vegas and really only like 3 because i started with it. Still wouldnt consider it a good game really. 4 is just garbage imo.

the parallels between bethesdas direction for fallout and 343s for halo are pretty obvious at this point.

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the last point.  There are extremely strong parallels in the trajectories of both franchises.  To use an analogy, Fallout 1 and 2 are like Halo Ce.  They're the original, highest quality but niche games that no one really thinks about.  Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas are like Halo 3 and Halo 2, respectively. Significant change that redefines the franchise but still recognizably Fallout. Fallout 4 is Halo Reach, and Fallout 76 is The 4.

Edit:  You could probably then say that Far Harbor is like Halo 5.  A return to form in some aspects but still struggling with bad core design.

I wouldn't say Fallout 4 was garbage, but it certainly wasn't *good*.  I liked the atmosphere, exploration, combat, crafting, companions.  But the utter lack of true player agency and quality writing was just frustrating and jarring coming straight from New Vegas.  It was, as they say, a decent open world shooter but not much beyond that.

Any new information regarding infinite? Like something that tells us anything?

They announced the aiming will be the same from Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any new information regarding infinite? Like something that tells us anything?

Not really. This concept art was tweeted out a while ago.

DnlgVTuW4AAuxe8.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I was playing Halo with some friends tonight and the topic of Halo Infinite came up and how there's been very little talked about and it got me thinking. What if 343 was just prototyping different styles of Halo over the last two years, gotten feedback, and they finally decided to move forward with one of them.

For example, maybe they tried Halo 4 style, button combo heavy style, a Halo 1 style, a Battlefield: Halo style, and thirty other styles I cannot even begin to think of. They tried them with different test markets, got feedback on which ones people liked, and moved forward from there. We know before Halo 4 they made a classic Halo prototype but scrapped it, and it's not unusual for game companies to do a lot of internal prototyping of different styles of game.

This wouldn't really tell us much about the full release. In fact, I'd be rather nervous since most people seem to want the Halo 3 style the most and that's one of the ones I want the least. But it could point to them trying something different.

The conditions that led me to enjoy halo 3 the most out of any game in the series no longer exist. It won't have the community, it won't be the first time ive owned a halo game, it wont be coming out at time when online gaming was still new to me, it likely won't have things I've never even heard of before (like forge). Pretty much everything has changed. The dev approach to gaming is different now than it was in 2007. Fuck, my own approach to gaming is different now.

343 shouldn't try to chase h3s coattails. It can't live up. Just take the original essence of halo (and I don't mean fucking "Herr Durr guns boom booms and punchies") and go from there. If they can't do that then the series needs to go away.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I could even live with the teamshot-heavy H3 style if we could just get faster item spawns, a more versatile and viable weapon sandbox, and a consistent utility weapon. Even for all the individual power H3 stripped away, I still had a lot of fun with it. I just hate the things I mentioned.

• Upvote (+1) 6