CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

What would you guys consider the quintessential core game modes? Doesn't matter if it's within a classic or modern environment, just interested in seeing what people would consider their ideal set up.

CTF, Oddball, & KoTH.

Slayer and Bomb if they have time.

I'd be upset if the game didn't launch with almost everything that came before it. It'd be a shorter exercise to list game modes that have been released that I don't mind if they return or not.

Race, Stockpile, Headhunter, Juggernaut, Regicide and Territories are the only ones that come to mind. All of those except Regicide and Territories should eventually come out after launch. Regicide could be replaced with VIP, and Territories replaced by Strongholds.

I want my damn 1 Flag/Bomb back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd be upset if the game didn't launch with almost everything that came before it. It'd be a shorter exercise to list game modes that have been released that I don't mind if they return or not.

Race, Stockpile, Headhunter, Juggernaut, Regicide and Territories are the only ones that come to mind. All of those except Regicide and Territories should eventually come out after launch. Regicide could be replaced with VIP, and Territories replaced by Strongholds.

I want my damn 1 Flag/Bomb back.

This is definitely the better way to look at it. And I agree with your choices, with the caveat that juggernaut and regicide are great fun for LANs and solo queue when you don’t what to get too serious.

Headhunter, Regicide and Juggernaut are fun Multi Team/Rumble Pit gametypes (RIP to both those playlists btw). Race was cool as double XP weekend, but I always hated it in the default Multi Team playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should do a version of what OW has now, a weekly rotating playlist with all those fun, but non-core gametypes. If a playlist is very popular, think about adding it to the regular gametype rotation in the Social playlists, and if a rotating playlist is not popular at all make it come around less frequently.

I believe it would be best if the ranked playlists had the same-ish settings as Social, just tweak things. No radar, more time required for Obj games, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Team Regicide was fun as hell. Fight me.

How did that gametype work again? I can't go watch a Halo 4 video as my ears can't take another beating.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How did that gametype work again? I can't go watch a Halo 4 video as my ears can't take another beating.

it was like VIP - the team only gets points for killing the "KING" 

Halo 4 had a lot of positives but gameplay and map design were not it..

It really had like no positives tho...

i realize these are positives in retrospect but gametypes (extraction, ricochet, regicide, etc) , working party system, big team battle and LAN!

• Upvote (+1) 2

You fuckers forgot Stockpile.

Lowkey best objective mode ever made

It was fun when you got a legit game, but usually when I played it kids were confused af and didn’t really know how to play the objective. It was fun though.

Honestly, what gamemodes could Infinite launch without and have you still consider it a "complete" game?  The only one i can think of is default territories.  Strongholds is better and probably the best thing that Halo 5 added. Even when territories was the only multiple-hill option, nobody really played it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mandatory: Slayer, CTF, Ball, Bomb, KOTH, Strongholds

Should really be there if they care: 1 Flag, 1 Bomb, Extraction

Nice to have: VIP, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Regicide, Ricochet

• Upvote (+1) 5

I agree that Infinite should have damn near everything that came before it. That alone accomplishes a lot of variety, and I believe that the custom minigame community relies on half the casual ones anyway.

Would be nice if Slayer could actually be good again, like in CE, but unfortunately that requires the gameplay to be particularly good, which no Halo dev has gotten right since H2. CTF, Assault, KotH, and Oddball should probably be no-brainers for competitive regardless.

Race and FFA/Multi-team Headhunter were pretty damn fun. I am not fond of Infection or Juggernaut but they need to be there for the players that love them. Never really got to try Stockpile...

Not going to lie though, I really enjoyed the gametypes that 343I added in H4.

6-player FFA Regicide is much better than standard 8-player Slayer FFA, my mind can't be changed on that. The powerups and instant-respawn were dumb, but otherwise the marked 1st place player added an objective dynamic and flow that just isn't there with normal FFA. The extra score from killing the King makes for feasible comeback potential but at the same time, the King player can play the objective and bait other players, causing them to trip over each other trying to get to you. I believe that the King also causes Oddball-style negative spawn influence, so players are typically spawned as far away from you as possible(8-player FFA broke the spawning here, IMO). Also, Regicide doubles as an awesome team gametype too. Never got to try VIP so I am not sure how it compares.

IMO had way more fun playing 1-plot Extraction than normal KotH. Kind of reminds me of Annex from Gears which is IMO a better version of KotH. 2-plot Extraction is just a weaker 3-plot Territories gametype, IMO. I didn't like it very much. Might as well play 3-plot gametypes.

Speaking of 3-plot, Strongholds is the best version of that gametype I have seen in any game, ever. The requirement of needing 2 plots to score promotes movement since the winning team can't just sit on one hill and still win late game like in most games. My only complaints are that I think 4v4 is kind of a weird player count for it, I thought it was better in BTB, like in most games. Also, I think that there should be a hill-contested mechanic for the gametype that stops scoring if enemies are in the 3rd plot. Nothing is more aggrevating than finally clearing a plot but being unable to neutralize it before the enemy team gets the last few points. Standing in the hill should stop the plot from scoring.

Lastly Richochet was fun as hell. Another under-rated gametype. GGGGOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 6

This.

Now, as for playlists, the only mandatory playlist should be Fiesta.

This.

Now, as for playlists, the only mandatory playlist should be Fiesta.

Yeah, a Fiesta playlist where instead of random weapons on spawn, you never know which of those gametypes you get to play.

Add infection and you nailed it. Would also add Headhunter for variety in unranked FFA.

Now in a perfect world 1-sided OBJ modes would just be included in their multi-OBJ mode like in past games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, a Fiesta playlist where instead of random weapons on spawn, you never know which of those gametypes you get to play.

A Fiesta playlist with random gametypes, no veto or voting options, AND random weapons. Fiesta is a shit show, but it's The Greatest Shit Show On Earth. I don't see the issue in adding on to it. Lol.

Seriously though, I love Fiesta. It needs to have a playlist.

A Fiesta playlist with random gametypes, no veto or voting options, AND random weapons. Fiesta is a shit show, but it's The Greatest Shit Show On Earth. I don't see the issue in adding on to it. Lol.

Seriously though, I love Fiesta. It needs to have a playlist.

Two options already exist for you here:

Action Sack, and H4 launch Infinity Slayer.

;)

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE. HALO INFINITE INFINITY SLAYER ON THE INFINITY. YES PLEASE.