CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I just wanna go back to this because I literally got into a dumb unrelated gun argument in the halo sub like yesterday. Guy spews nonsensical "gun knowledge" and when I tell him how shit really works he downvotes me and never responds.

It's amazing how much dumb a single subreddit can cultivate.

Oh my, this exactly describes my experience on that sub. Dumbasses make dumbass claims, you correct them and they either resort to the nostalgiafag argument or just downvote and never respond. I've never seen a place with so many willfully ignorant people. And the best part is, two days later the same idiots are making the exact same claims again in a new thread. It's a never ending cycle of stupidity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey so crazy thought.

How would you respond to the idea that Halo Infinite has every weapon that's ever existed in the games, all with their aim assist, bullet magnetism and hitscan/projectile tuned to make them the very best version of said weapons? The different variants of the same weapon would just be melted into a single version, like all of the different Magnum variants across the games being turned into one trusty and strong sidearm that kills faster than any other gun in the game, but is incredibly challenging to master. Essentially, you have a huge sandbox for players to play with, which segments into my next question...

How would you feel if Halo Infinite had three different playlists selections that catered to the different experiences Halo has had over the years? One playlist that emulates classic gameplay, with balanced equipment. One playlist that emulates Armor Ability Halo, with all of the AAs becoming finely tuned and balanced for one another. And finally, one playlist that emulates Spartan Ability Halo, with all of the movements also finely tuned. The one playlist selection that would share all of these would be an unranked Team Slayer playlist, with a veto option. And let's just say that the maps that came with the game also include Forge maps, except the new Forge is so powerful that a talented forger could make a map look like a dev map.

I'd like to know people's opinion on this, because the MCC is mostly a nostalgia bin for people to hop in and enjoy the games they knew. But Infinite could potentially be a game where they make the best version of Classic, Armor Ability, and Spartan Ability Halo all in one game.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Having that many weapons would (and already does) lead to sandbox problems.  There's no need for it.  Leave Promethean weapons as campaign-only, or reduce the quantity and make the ones that exist more unique, which would be beneficial to both MP and SP.  Preferably the latter but the former is tolerable.

The division here is misguided.  Make three radically different games in the same game and the splitting of resources will ensure they all end up mediocre.  Beyond that it's just unnecessary and born out of people on both sides (ugh kill me) not thinking rationally.  People just need to learn to compromise, and the classic fans need to stop hardlining on the stupidest most insignificant shit.  It's possible to have a classic formula game that still has new features, it just needs to be done thoughtfully.  And there are definitely thoughtful ways of doing it.

Powerups - Add more.

Armor Abilities - On map, limited use, drop on death, relatively basic ones like Evade only.

Spartan Abilities - Minor shit like stabilizer that shakes up the experience without fundamentally redefining how it plays.

Besides, "Spartan Ability Halo" and "Armor Ability Halo" are a pointless distinction in this context, they both appeal to the same audience, more or less.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't see a radical difference between AA and SA Halo. It's just asymmetrical gimmicks vs even start gimmicks. Pick your poison.

The difference between individual empowerment Halo (CE, GoldPro, Evolved) and teamshot Halo (everything else) is way bigger IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know it’s funny really when you mention individual empowerment. When weapons tuning was suggested a lot of people wanted the guns to remain the same(though Nerf ARS) but make the pistol a 4SK. That’s all we wanted and needed.

Honestly we know infinite will suck, it’s weapon balance will be shit, it’ll have advanced movement

• Upvote (+1) 5

You know it’s funny really when you mention individual empowerment. When weapons tuning was suggested a lot of people wanted the guns to remain the same(though Nerf ARS) but make the pistol a 4SK. That’s all we wanted and needed.

Honestly we know infinite will suck, it’s weapon balance will be shit, it’ll have advanced movement

This is the first post I’ve completely agreed with you on in a very long time. As long as Quinn is making important decisions, I think this franchise is going to be held back. Hopefully we get the tools to make the game how we want to play it, because I have very little hope for MM settings right now.

This is the first post I’ve completely agreed with you on in a very long time. As long as Quinn is making important decisions, I think this franchise is going to be held back. Hopefully we get the tools to make the game how we want to play it, because I have very little hope for MM settings right now.

eh most of my post are troll post lol, but this one I actually meant. And Quinn or anyone really, not one game dev has ever done right for the community not ONE! We ask for zero spread in h3,(doesn’t happen), we ask for TU/zero bloom across the whole game(doesn’t happen), we ask for quality aiming mechanics and 4SK pistol(doesn’t happen). Gaming devs have never done right for their communities.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think we will, i'm pretty confident Forge is going to evolve into straight up modding (or close to it). The biggest problem may be 343 maintaining their monopoly over competitive Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

eh most of my post are troll post lol

To me this comes off like the people who post "Oh, I meant to send that to someone else" when they post something embarrassing, and the other one they sent it to isn't reciprocating. People change and we become more self-aware under certain circumstances, obviously, and I'm not judging you over it, but wow does this just echo other texts I've seen in similar contexts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we will, i'm pretty confident Forge is going to evolve into straight up modding (or close to it). The biggest problem may be 343 maintaining their monopoly over competitive Halo.

We will see, almost all past efforts have seen favour side with the status quo for ‘developer support’. I feel if nodding or the equivalent is provided the customs kids will have somewhere nice to live out the rest of their days but getting traction with anything meaningful in terms of tournaments etc is a different story.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Hahaha I remember this. The only major necessity as far as weapon tuning in vanilla Halo 5 and for the rest of the game's lifespan they pumped out pointless patches to do literally everything but change the Magnum to 4sk.

I want to die hahaha.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hahaha I remember this. The only major necessity as far as weapon tuning in vanilla Halo 5 and for the rest of the game's lifespan they pumped out pointless patches to do literally everything but change the Magnum to 4sk.

I want to die hahaha.

343 doesn’t even know how to do a proper weapon tuning. Here’s a brief summary of what went into their minds when changing things.

Players complaining that autos and other precision weapons are too good against the starting weapon. Solution:let’s make all the guns shit, but keep the magnum the same that way the sandbox is balanced

I wonder if Warzone is going to be a Free-to-Play component of Halo: Infinite that just needs and Xbox Live Gold account and the rest of the game is standard retail/digital.

While the update was too late and overall a huge disappointment, I'm just glad the laserbeam vanilla H5 BR is gone. What a joke of a weapon that was.

What worries me is that the vast majority of the adjustments were nerfs in one way or another. I really hope we don't go back to H3 or even Reach TTKs for starting weapons again in Halo Infinite.

While the update was too late and overall a huge disappointment, I'm just glad the laserbeam vanilla H5 BR is gone. What a joke of a weapon that was.

What worries me is that the vast majority of the adjustments were nerfs in one way or another. I really hope we don't go back to H3 or even Reach TTKs for starting weapons again in Halo Infinite.

Dude, I'd rather have the original laserbeam than what we have now. Especially given it made vehicle contesting a viable strategy. In a world where starting weapons aren't really being changed for social lists (What a surprise from Halo.) I would rather have a super easy BR, versus the terrible, inconsistent, poor one we have now. Which breaks BTB, and kinda breaks Warzone given early game vehicles are a thing, and it does nothing but break user empowerment against them. It was a joke, but so is the new one. And nerfing its actual issues extends way past just the BR. 

The BR laser beam quality shouldn’t of been changed, it should of been given an aim assist nerf and less bullet magnetism. What we have currently is horrible!

The BR laser beam quality shouldn’t of been changed, it should of been given an aim assist nerf and less bullet magnetism. What we have currently is horrible!

Umm, it was? There were a lot of horrible steps in between, but bottom line we now have a slightly lower ROF (bad) and much lower AA and bullet mag. It still has the same upward recoil the vanilla BR had (with a slight increase IIRC). Ideally the AA and magnetism would be lowered even further and the TTK lowered but that's a pipe dream with this company.

Dude, I'd rather have the original laserbeam than what we have now. Especially given it made vehicle contesting a viable strategy. In a world where starting weapons aren't really being changed for social lists (What a surprise from Halo.) I would rather have a super easy BR, versus the terrible, inconsistent, poor one we have now. Which breaks BTB, and kinda breaks Warzone given early game vehicles are a thing, and it does nothing but break user empowerment against them. It was a joke, but so is the new one. And nerfing its actual issues extends way past just the BR. 

You cannot honestly tell me BTB played better with the vanilla BR with it's insane magnetism. "Breaks BTB" has to be a fucking joke. H5 vehicles are atrociously designed, I agree, but the issue here is not the BR not aiming itself anymore. And honestly do you even need all that magnetism to shoot a vehicle? This affects pure infantry battles way more than Infantry vs Vehicle battles. Isn't the infantry combat in BTB that you love so much clearly better now that people don't spawn with an aimbot anymore?

As for Warzone, early game vehicles are indeed fucking stupid, but so is the fact you can spawn with a PP or Railgun during the early game to deal with Ghosts and Wasps. It a huge mess of awful design and snowballing all around. Coupled with the awful matchmaking it's honestly a toin coss if you'll get shrekt by vehicles or if your team is the one doing it. Again, not the BRs fault. And again WZ plays way better with the new BR.

Which is more important..

Even starts, or core mechanics of halo?

Core mechanics by a long way.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I have always considered even starts a core mechanic of Halo.  Halo isn't Halo if people can spawn with different shit.

Super late edit:  Honestly I dont even see how this is negotiable or an either/or question at all.  equal starts is baked in (at least for competitive and 'standard' gametypes).  Its the way the game must be conceived and balanced if the whole idea of a utility weapon is going to survive.

The only "Equal start" thing that needs tweaking is that power weapons and power ups need a 30 second spawn delay on asyms.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Umm, it was? There were a lot of horrible steps in between, but bottom line we now have a slightly lower ROF (bad) and much lower AA and bullet mag. It still has the same upward recoil the vanilla BR had (with a slight increase IIRC). Ideally the AA and magnetism would be lowered even further and the TTK lowered but that's a pipe dream with this company.

You cannot honestly tell me BTB played better with the vanilla BR with it's insane magnetism. "Breaks BTB" has to be a fucking joke. H5 vehicles are atrociously designed, I agree, but the issue here is not the BR not aiming itself anymore. And honestly do you even need all that magnetism to shoot a vehicle? This affects pure infantry battles way more than Infantry vs Vehicle battles. Isn't the infantry combat in BTB that you love so much clearly better now that people don't spawn with an aimbot anymore?

As for Warzone, early game vehicles are indeed fucking stupid, but so is the fact you can spawn with a PP or Railgun during the early game to deal with Ghosts and Wasps. It a huge mess of awful design and snowballing all around. Coupled with the awful matchmaking it's honestly a toin coss if you'll get shrekt by vehicles or if your team is the one doing it. Again, not the BRs fault. And again WZ plays way better with the new BR.

Um, I too would prefer the old laser beam BR to the updated one. The current BR just feels like shit. yes, the old one made it too easy to cross map, and harmed vehicle play, but the most important thing in a FPS is the shooting, and the new BR is insufferable trash.

What they REALLY, should have done was use the magnum as a default, which is actually the setting most of these maps were designed for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Infantry combat sucks dick, lmao. The new BR is inconsistent, recoil based, super slow burst wise, and in general sucks. At any long range, you need to aim at the feet for the recoil, which kicks the last bullet in the burst to the head. It's terrible, gunplay wise. And every fight is pretty dumb when it could boil down to who's recoil fucked them harder. I would rather play a game where first shot wins because a weapon's too good, over "my gun's inconsistency fucked me". Inconsistency can go fuck itself. I would rather take an easy gun which makes the game boil down to first shot wins, over one where I'm fighting my gun to even work properly. I don't even get how this is an argument. Who the fuck wants a gun that doesn't work versus one that works too well. The new BR makes you miss when you aim for the head, even if you're both standing still, let alone normal combat. How the fuck can someone defend that. It's like you haven't played the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All they had to do with the BR was make the burst a tiny bit slower and reduce the ridiculous amount of AA and magnetism and eliminate the "headshot priority".  I understand the need for a tiny bit of magnetism in a console shooter, but having the bullets bend toward the head instead of just the closest margin of the player makes no sense.

Infantry combat sucks dick, lmao. The new BR is inconsistent, recoil based, super slow burst wise, and in general sucks. At any long range, you need to aim at the feet for the recoil, which kicks the last bullet in the burst to the head. It's terrible, gunplay wise. And every fight is pretty dumb when it could boil down to who's recoil fucked them harder. I would rather play a game where first shot wins because a weapon's too good, over "my gun's inconsistency fucked me". Inconsistency can go fuck itself. I would rather take an easy gun which makes the game boil down to first shot wins, over one where I'm fighting my gun to even work properly. I don't even get how this is an argument. Who the fuck wants a gun that doesn't work versus one that works too well. The new BR makes you miss when you aim for the head, even if you're both standing still, let alone normal combat. How the fuck can someone defend that. It's like you haven't played the game.

It already had recoil before the update, you just didn't notice because the bullet mag pulled it towards their head anyways lmao. Up to mid range the recoil doesn't even affect your shooting.

The TTK is too slow, especially with all the combat evasion abilities, I agree on that. But defending H2 levels of aim assist on a competitive forum is just crazy to me.

Oh and btw you turned this into a BTB discussion. In regular Arena gametypes where you start with the Magnum, it is undeniably better that the BR is no longer a free brainless upgrade that aims itself.

Would you rather get spartan charged and sprayed down with an AR by someone sprinting around the map or get blasted by someone camping with a pocket shotty and wall hacks? Both sound like pretty terrible options to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1