CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

So you can't come up with any specific game situations where speed boost is actually useful. Otherwise you'd have provided them instead of typing out yet another paragraph full of impotent sputtering.

And by the way, the next time you make sense on here will be the very first.

CGlZ5Iu.jpg?1

That's not Relic.

Now you're saying speed boost is useless. So I'm right. Are we done?

i'm just going to go through this in order. I'm sure your superior brain can make the proper connections:

I can't even....  I gave you specific instances where its helpful. You want a fucking transcript and clips? Just no. You can't make a request, have that request met, then move the goalposts and say the original request was never met.

Really... you're arguing i'm wrong because of a technicality with hyperbole.  Nobody plays H2A right now.

And how in the actual fuck do you get "Speedboost is useless" from:

1) Speedboost is not a terribly powerful powerup regardless 2) in sprint games its redundant horseshit and 3) in non-sprint games it has decent efficacy but isn't worth going out of your way or setting up for

I need better self control apparently because i know i am just getting trolled at this point. sigh.

The key is no powerups

No power-ups means less movement incentives on the map. If you're going to advocate for the removal of power-ups then you need to also come up with some movement incentives to replace the role of power-ups. For an exmaple the key from @@MultiLockOn's Arcanum map.

I personally find maps such as Midship, Heretic, Amplified, and Onslaught to be bland and boring to play because there are no power items on those maps. I personally prefer playing maps such as Damnation, Chill Out, and Prisoner because there are two power-ups and one main power weapon(rockets) on those maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No power-ups means less movement incentives on the map. If you're going to advocate for the removal of power-ups then you need to also come up with some movement incentives to replace the role of power-ups. For an exmaple the key from @@MultiLockOn's Arcanum map.

I personally find maps such as Midship, Heretic, Amplified, and Onslaught to be bland and boring to play because there are no power items on those maps. I personally prefer playing maps such as Damnation, Chill Out, and Prisoner because there are two power-ups and one main power weapon(rockets) on those maps.

I personally prefer those "boring" maps because of the focus on straight up gunskill and even fights.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I personally prefer those "boring" maps because of the focus on straight up gunskill and even fights.

Sacrificing power items and other alternative movement incentives for the benefit of putting a huge emphasis on gunskill is a pretty dumb thing to do IMO. As long as the game has an adequate utility weapon, a difficult sniper, and a well rounded weapon sandbox similar to Halo 1's weapon sandbox then there will always be room for a huge emphasis on gunskill regardless if there are multiple power items on maps or not.

Having no power items and no alternative movement incentives on the map at all makes the game more one-dimensional. It is possible for maps to have multiple power items on them while still allowing for there to be a huge emphasis on gunskill. For an example, on maps such as Damnation, Chill Out, and Prisoner there's still a huge emphasis on gunskill but there is also a huge emphasis on controlling the power items and preventing your opponents from obtaining the power items. Maps such as Damnation, Chill Out, and Prisoner allows for there to be more depth than maps such as Midship, Heretic, Amplified, and Onslaught.

Octagon is considered a great map for warm ups but isn't considered a great 1v1 map because the map is one-dimensional and lacks depth. Maps such as Prisoner and Guardian are considered better maps for 1v1s than Octagon because they allow for more depth and have power items on them.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Power Weapons vs No Power Weapons

You're not going to sway Beast anytime soon, I'm afraid. He's got the same opinion as MultiLockOn, save for discovering a new alternative for Power-Ups. Beast just likes to shoot, and boy can he shoot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're not going to sway Beast anytime soon, I'm afraid. He's got the same opinion as MultiLockOn, save for discovering a new alternative for Power-Ups. Beast just likes to shoot, and boy can he shoot.

Yes but if @My Namez BEAST were to ever go to Beach LAN I guarantee you that he would be getting pumped for a week straight while constantly getting yelled at by his teammate for not controlling the power items and not preventing his opponents from obtaining the power items. He has that scrub mentality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

<p>

Yes but if @My Namez BEAST were to ever go to Beach LAN I guarantee you that he would be getting pumped for a week straight while constantly getting yelled at by his teammate for not controlling the power items and not preventing his opponents from obtaining the power items. He has that scrub mentality.

Homie I don't play CE and I never will. I don't like the gameplay lmao. Not liking something doesn't mean you have the "scrub mentality" people here need to stop referencing this for everything. Power ups are wack to me. Camo is one of the most game breaking abilities I've ever experienced in games. I obviously still played a bunch of halo with it in and I've done well in those games. I just don't like it and will always play without them especially in customs. I don't like what they let people do. Sheesh.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Homie I don't play CE and I never will. I don't like the gameplay lmao. Not liking something doesn't mean you have the "scrub mentality" people here need to stop referencing this for everything. Power ups are wack to me. Camo is one of the most game breaking abilities I've ever experienced in games. I obviously still played a bunch of halo with it in and I've done well in those games. I just don't like it and will always play without them especially in customs. I don't like what they let people do. Sheesh.

I don’t like overshield in halo 5 because if the player is decent it’s not possible to kill them without getting that lucky thrust ninja, or noob combo.

Camo is bad for 1v1s but for 4s it’s not too effective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don’t like overshield in halo 5 because if the player is decent it’s not possible to kill them without getting that lucky thrust ninja, or noob combo.

Camo is bad for 1v1s but for 4s it’s not too effective.

H5 camo is essentially broken

OS/Camo isn't broken if you can't beat them in a 1v1 fight, lol. The entire point of getting power items is to give the user an advantage. Am I missing something here?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Does everybody play on a monitor?  I don't think camo is that hard to see when you are on a monitor. It was super easy to see before they buffed it.  The AA elimination is really what gets me but that's kind of the point of Camo and only active if they aren't shooting.

OS/Camo isn't broken if you can't beat them in a 1v1 fight, lol. The entire point of getting power items is to give the user an advantage. Am I missing something here?

Another point of things like power ups is that they can be placed on a map according to different gametype requirement.  In a literal 1v1 gametype, take that shit off the map.  If you 1v1 the OS guy in a 4v4 game... well wtf are you doing?  That's what was so great about pre-AA/Sprint Halo.  It was a pure shooter and if you wanted to use all the powerups you could, or you could make a custom game like Beast and play without it and everybody could win.  Now it's compromise everywhere.

Another point of things like power ups is that they can be placed on a map according to different gametype requirement.  In a literal 1v1 gametype, take that shit off the map.  If you 1v1 the OS guy in a 4v4 game... well wtf are you doing?  That's what was so great about pre-AA/Sprint Halo.  It was a pure shooter and if you wanted to use all the powerups you could, or you could make a custom game like Beast and play without it and everybody could win.  Now it's compromise everywhere.

Customizing the effectiveness of certain power items would prove to be useful for the different gametypes as well. For straight 1v1s, maybe make it so camo is more visible and has less duration. OS would only give one layer of extra shield, or even just half a layer. Or maybe 1v1 gametypes don't even need powerups, I'm not sure. I just feel like there needs to be some sort of movement incentive even for 1v1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The main reason why I said that you have a scrub mentality is because you want to make the game more one-dimensional for the sake of putting more emphasis on gunskill. I don't mind that people dislike power-ups and advocate for the removal of them as long as they have solid alternatives for map movement incentives to fill the role of power-ups. The reason why I said that you have a scrub mentality is because you're advocating for the removal of power-ups without offering any solid alternatives to power-ups.

You might not like Halo 1 but Halo 1 arguably has the most solid gunplay in the entire Halo series and the game puts a huge emphasis on gunskill while still having maps that have multiple power items on them. Like I said in my other post, it is possible for maps to have multiple power items on them without having to compromise gunskill, Halo 1 is a good example of that.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

If a map isn't going to have powerups, it needs to have geometry that forces you to play for map control. Midship/Warlock/Amplified/Onslaught/Narrows work great for this because you can't really play those maps passively and expect to win. But as soon as you try to get creative with your map design and have some asymmetrical layouts, you need powerups to force movement. Look no further than default Guardian TS. Guardian is a pretty solid map, but powerups are every three minutes, so TS plays slow as shit.

Hell, it doesn't even need to be an asymm. Look at Shrine from H2A. You can't tell me that map wouldn't have played better with a camo every minute at bottom mid than it did with rockets.

If you're not gonna have powerups, then you're gonna have a lot of very same-y feeling maps. Midship style maps are fun when they're the exception. If they were the rule, I think this game would be pretty dry tbh.

As for changing powerups depending on player count, I've been advocating that for a while. 1v1 and 2v2 = 1 extra layer.  3v3 and 4v4 = 2 extra layers, and so on. Yes, I think BTB's OS should be strong as fuck. For camo and other timed powerups, just increase the duration in increments of 5 seconds.

And lastly, regarding Haste in Doom and Quake...just play the damn game. It was fun. I loved having Haste. I loved killing the guy that had Haste so I could pick it up. It didn't feel OP to me. It was just fun. I don't really know how to describe why it worked, other than that I always enjoyed its presence in the game, and I would encourage you to play it. It wouldn't even be as powerful in Halo because you have to reload. The only place I disagree with Apollo on Haste is I would absolutely not allow it to regen shields faster; neither delay nor charge rate. I think that would get cheesed super hard and be really annoying. If you get backed down with Haste and use its speed to help you escape, your punishment should be burning precious powerup time waiting for your shields.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The only place I disagree with Apollo on Haste is I would absolutely not allow it to regen shields faster; neither delay nor charge rate. I think that would get cheesed super hard and be really annoying. If you get backed down with Haste and use its speed to help you escape, your punishment should be burning precious powerup time waiting for your shields.

I'll concede that.  Faster recharge could definitely turn it from an aggressive powerup to a stalemate-y one and we don't need that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any of you guys seen Splitgate gameplay? It’s basically an arena shooter mixed with portal. Everyone spawns with a portal gun and the map is designed with a bunch of surfaces that you can make portals through. What about having a power up that is a portal gun with limited uses?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quad works well in Quake TDM for a number of reasons. Primarily it's a perception thing where because there isn't a finite number of deaths people are more open to periods of being farmed. Asymmetry is also generally a much larger part of the game for Quake; present in the maps (and how they are controlled), in the item stacks, weapon control / balance etc. In contrast Halo has much larger emphasis on symmetry in the maps, 'utility weapons', rechargeable shields etc. So it makes more sense that the core items in Quake to be much more powerful than their Halo counterparts just insofar as that is the way the game is perceived:

• Quake - you start smoll and fight for every last ounce of power
  • Halo - you start with enough power to have an impact

If you had the equivalent of Quad it would be outright rejected by the Halo player base as unfair because they're not used to it and also it would give you potential 5-10 kill swings which in Halo terms would be enough to decide a match. I do think Overshield / Camo is a little under powered compared to what it could be in TS as an incentive to move around the map and engage but at the same time it's much more closely balanced to the ideas behind Halo than a straight up damage boost. Having said that Quad does work amazingly well as an incentive and also within the mechanics to Quake itself - nothing wrong with either direction.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Any of you guys seen Splitgate gameplay? It’s basically an arena shooter mixed with portal. Everyone spawns with a portal gun and the map is designed with a bunch of surfaces that you can make portals through. What about having a power up that is a portal gun with limited uses?

It might make more sense as equipment—it could work like the teleport dash in Dishonored. IIRC there was a scrapped Promethean teleport dash armor ability in Halo 4 that was probably replaced with thruster pack, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility. It does seem like something that could be abused for escape, though.

Splitgate looks pretty cool, but you shouldn’t be able to shoot through portals, especially if enemies can’t see you on the other side. You can’t see through others’ portals because it would be too visually demanding. But there’s still time for that to change.

I suppose it would be more similar to equipment than a power up in that you would pick it up and then activate it later when you needed it. Not sure how I feel about beeimg able to see and shoot through portals. Something that would definitely need some play testing to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

Splitgate? Back in my day (like what, 3 weeks ago?), it was called "Wormhole Wars". I don't even care enough to see if they're the same game, the concept is laughable and the devs are glue eaters. No thanks!

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's called Splitgate: Arena Warfare LOL

dvj-7tq-1531439500693_270h.png

Imagine if Infinite looked like this instead of classic

Tbh on the power weapon thing, it is a dumb concept. Weapons on map shouldn't be super easy and effective at the same time. They should be unique and serve their own purpose while also being tough to use in order to reap the rewards. And also be counterable by a good enough player with just the spawn gear. That bit is important.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

One of the biggest problems with competitive/PvP Halo is that if someone says "I am a Halo fan." or "I am good at Halo." no one knows exactly what that means anymore.  Classic V Advanced Movement, Hardcore V Casual, or even with something like TTK, there doesn't seem to be any real consensus (Although I think the answer lies with a combo of Halo CE and 3). I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft took Forge and Modding to the next level with Halo "Infinite." I hope they do at least, just let the market decide what Halo should be from a competitive standpoint, the community would be more than happy to help.