CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Question:

What is considered a mentally demanding skill in shooters? And does Halo have any?

Controlling the items on the map.  Sort of, not really compared to games with a much wider diversity of essential items, more depth to combining those items, and faster spawn times, e.g. Quake.

Map Knowledge / Route Prediction / Positioning / Situational Awareness / etc.  Sort of, comparatively weak.  Maps are far too simple, specific killtimes and recharging health allow more mistakes, radar removes the need to pay attention, etc.

Class / Ability / Item utilization and counterplay.  Nades are pretty much the one and only thing here consistent across all the games.  An expendable resource with a variety of uses.  Otherwise not really applicable to Halo.   No classes, guns are mostly straightforward with no thought required for operation.

Knowing when and how to use advanced tech.  Ce, H2, H5

Player Spawn Control.  It varies from game to game, but yes.

All I can think of at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Mentally demanding, like wtf do you want? A shooter that plays like chess? If you want strategy go play rainbow or counter strike.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Question:

What is considered a mentally demanding skill in shooters? And does Halo have any?

Deciding how many kills I'm going to let the other team get.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Idk why my comment was disliked so much. Those games are strategy based games which should hold the mentally challenging aspect one looks for.

There’s not much that goes into it regarding halo I’m afraid besides some minor things such as timing weapons, and pushing either as a team or flanking. Which is more or less not that mentally demanding when you put your own thought into it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They probably offered Staten the position and begged him to work on Halo as a writer again, but then he got caught up and read the H5 script and realized there is no way to get out of the mess that game created without a massive retcon. Serious the story is fucked beyond belief.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Man, Halo 3 basically refuses to age. It is glaringly obvious at this point. I wonder how often anyone at 343 asks themselves why that is.

There was a clear focus on making environments look physically 'there' I don't care what anyone says. It was done so well that the effect is not visual, but psychological; it is telling your brain that all these fictional environments are real. The lighting setups and shadow usage are almost indiscernible from real life. Textures are composed of snapshots of real life materials, even Covenant and Forerunner. Hitting objects with melee or even small things such as walking, sound like real occurrences. 

That's not even an art 'style' at that point... Every aspect of the game was involved. It was something else entirely. It's crazy, because the art and most aspects of the world were tied together, so removing one part of it brings the whole thing crashing down.

I think this is a really understated part of Halo 3's strength, and I think its part of why there is such a strong push for the "classic art style". The sound, physics, lighting, and textures really come together into something really cohesive and grounded. At risk of sounding overly reductive, I find Halo 3's assets to be more grounded and believable (even Covenant/Flood/Forerunner assets) than floating teleporting anime robots that talk and turn into flying orange computer spirits upon death.

• Upvote (+1) 9

They probably offered Staten the position and begged him to work on Halo as a writer again, but then he got caught up and read the H5 script and realized there is no way to get out of the mess that game created without a massive retcon. Serious the story is fucked beyond belief.

Cortana, Humanities smartest AI, is now in control of giant forerunner robots designed to keep a much more technologically advanced galaxy in order. (The Galaxy before the Halo rings were fired at the end of the Forerunner-Flood war.)

Why do people think Halo 5 is a good set up for anything? Its an unwinnable situation.

At least the Human-Covenant war established that the UNSC were capable of winning the ground fight, but were only really being pushed back because of the Covenants superiority in space.

THE GUARDIANS CAN RENDER ALL ELECTRONICS ON A PLANET AND ITS ORBIT USELESS WITH ONE EMP BLAST. 

HOW DO YOU FIGHT THAT.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you were to make a halo game what would you do for it?

Ce style sandbox.  Balance adjusted weapons, non-recharging health, Medkits, no melee lunge.  Radar set to Ally-Only by default.

More complicated maps that aren't just a barrage of two-level donuts and lanes.

Map pickups could be innovated to expand the strategy of the game and add modern abilities without throwing Halo's core gameplay under the bus.

Some random ideas for Equipment off the top of my head:

Spawn Beacon - Teammates can spawn at it a few times.

Teleporter - Set up both ends of a teleporter.  Can only be traveled through a few times.

Healing Wave - Sends out a pulse that rapidly regenerates health and shields of anyone in radius and provides short duration speed boost.  One time use.

Hardlight Shield - Lasts a few seconds, much wider to cover multiple players.  One time use.

Likewise for Powerups:

Jetpack - Can jetpack during duration by holding jump button.  Can only jetpack for a few seconds at a time.  White aura around player.

Haste - Movement speed, reload speed, firing rate, and melee speed all increased.  Shield recharge has less delay.  Blue aura.

Vampirism - Damage done to enemies also restores health and shields.  Red aura.

Miscellaneous Additions:

-Press Up on DPad to leave a marker on teammate's HUD similar to Siege's yellow markers.  Hold it down to open up a radial menu for basic voice commands like "(targeted item) spawns in 30s" or "need assistance". 

-Hold Down on DPad to bring up top-down overview of map as well as a list of item spawn times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HOW DO YOU FIGHT THAT.

Really easily apparently in one of the recent books.

:flip:

Really easily apparently in one of the recent books.

:flip:

Spill the beans... I’m anxious to see what contrived, yet crucial concepts will be glossed over In the campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spill the beans... I’m anxious to see what contrived, yet crucial concepts will be glossed over In the campaign.

I didn't actually read the book, it's sitting in my room somewhere. I've just heard that they somehow deal with a Guardian and it wasn't exactly difficult. I think it's Halo: Legacy of Onyx if you want to look into it.

Ce style sandbox.  Balance adjusted weapons, non-recharging health, Medkits, no melee lunge.  Radar set to Ally-Only by default.

Map pickups could be innovated to expand the strategy of the game and add modern abilities without throwing Halo's core gameplay under the bus.

Teleporter - Set up both ends of a teleporter.  Can only be traveled through a few times.

Healing Wave - Sends out a pulse that rapidly regenerates health and shields of anyone in radius and provides short duration speed boost.  One time use.

Hardlight Shield - Lasts a few seconds, much wider to cover multiple players.  One time use.

Likewise for Powerups:

Jetpack - Can jetpack during duration by holding jump button.  Can only jetpack for a few seconds at a time.  White aura around player.

Haste - Movement speed, reload speed, firing rate, and melee speed all increased.  Shield recharge has less delay.  Blue aura.

Miscellaneous Additions:

-Press Up on DPad to leave a marker on teammate's HUD similar to Siege's yellow markers.  Hold it down to open up a radial menu for basic voice commands like "(targeted item) spawns in 30s" or "need assistance". 

-Hold Down on DPad to bring up top-down overview of map as well as a list of item spawn times.

I do think having equipment instead of SA/AA would be something I could live wih but please, don't let there be a Jetpack in Halo ever again...

Likewise for Powerups:

Miscellaneous Additions:

Don't like the equipment. Pocket teleporters, magic healing spheres... I just don't see a reason for stuff like that to exist in Halo. (And yes, I'm aware that regen was a thing - let's leave that in H3 where it belongs)

Powerups - I like the Vampirism idea. Jetpack and haste, not so much. Armor abilities can go straight to hell, and I'm not a fan of powerups that are just generic timed trait boosts.

I'll throw a couple of powerup ideas in the hat:

Score Attack - Doubles the value of all points scored by the player. In slayer, one kill counts for two points on the board. In CTF, a captured flag is worth 2 points (as long as the affected player is the one who puts it in). Ball time counts for double when they're holding it. And so on. Lasts for __ seconds.

Threat Marker - All living enemy players (at the time of pickup) have a waypoint placed over their head (visible only to the affected player). When a marked enemy player is killed, his waypoint is removed. Powerup effect lasts indefinitely - until all marked enemy players have been killed, or the affected player dies. A player committing suicide won't remove their waypoint.

Knockout - The victim of the player's next kill has a doubled respawn time.

Don't like the equipment. Pocket teleporters, magic healing spheres... I just don't see a reason for stuff like that to exist in Halo. (And yes, I'm aware that regen was a thing - let's leave that in H3 where it belongs)

Powerups - I like the Vampirism idea. Jetpack and haste, not so much. Armor abilities can go straight to hell, and I'm not a fan of powerups that are just generic timed trait boosts.

I'll throw a couple of powerup ideas in the hat:

Score Attack - Doubles the value of all points scored by the player. In slayer, one kill counts for two points on the board. In CTF, a captured flag is worth 2 points (as long as the affected player is the one who puts it in). Ball time counts for double when they're holding it. And so on. Lasts for __ seconds.

Threat Marker - All living enemy players (at the time of pickup) have a waypoint placed over their head (visible only to the affected player). When a marked enemy player is killed, his waypoint is removed. Powerup effect lasts indefinitely - until all marked enemy players have been killed, or the affected player dies. A player committing suicide won't remove their waypoint.

Knockout - The victim of the player's next kill has a doubled respawn time.

What the heck is wrong with Haste?

What the heck is wrong with Haste?

There is apparently some backlash against powerups that are "pure upgrades", I remember a few months ago in the HCS thread @@MultiLockOn went on a crusade against OS and camo because "they offer flat upgrades that require no skill to use and are frustrating to play against." (paraphrasing here) Haste also falls into this category.

Of course this is horseshit IMO, as the skill lies in acquiring the powerup, not necessarily using it, not unlike Rockets. The only context where agree with this sentiment is in Warzone where these powerups are just given away for free and on some really poor maps (usually BTB) where powerups can be acquired without actually contesting them first.

Another perspective might be that both Speed Boost and Damage Boost have been kind of shitty and lazy powerups that simply boost one singular player trait to 120%, as well as all the perks/armor mods in H4/5 doing similar stuff. Maybe he has a problem with that? idk. Anyone who has played DOOM knows how cool of a powerup Haste is and I'd take it over useless Speed Boost and "let's break the entire sandbox" Damage Boost.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There is apparently some backlash against powerups that are "pure upgrades", I remember a few months ago in the HCS thread @@MultiLockOn went on a crusade against OS and camo because "they offer flat upgrades that require no skill to use and are frustrating to play against." (paraphrasing here) Haste also falls into this category.

Of course this is horseshit IMO, as the skill lies in acquiring the powerup, not necessarily using it, not unlike Rockets. The only context where agree with this sentiment is in Warzone where these powerups are just given away for free and on some really poor maps (usually BTB) where powerups can be acquired without actually contesting them first.

Another perspective might be that both Speed Boost and Damage Boost have been kind of shitty and lazy powerups that simply boost one singular player trait to 120%, as well as all the perks/armor mods in H4/5 doing similar stuff. Maybe he has a problem with that? idk. Anyone who has played DOOM knows how cool of a powerup Haste is and I'd take it over useless Speed Boost and "let's break the entire sandbox" Damage Boost.

LOL aye.  It seems to me if you don't like OS and Camo you don't like Halo, frankly.  Haste would be a great powerup because you actually have to use it.  Your damage boost come from the fact that you can shoot faster, move faster, reload faster and get your shields back faster.  You still have to hit your shots, which could be harder because the cadence will be off from what you are used to. You'll still die just as fast if someone gets the jump on you. You still have to actually do something intelligently to make the most of it. Sounds good to me...

I’m fine with powerups being pure upgrades. And haste would be perfect- much more practical than Speed & Damage boosts.

I didn't actually read the book, it's sitting in my room somewhere. I've just heard that they somehow deal with a Guardian and it wasn't exactly difficult. I think it's Halo: Legacy of Onyx if you want to look into it.

. Yeah I’ll do some digging. Thanks

Edit:

the Guardian got dismantled by a Huragok (engineer), also the Guardians EMP doesnt work on Spartan shield for some reason.

I’m fine with powerups being pure upgrades. And haste would be perfect- much more practical than Speed & Damage boosts.

Edit:

the Guardian got dismantled by a Huragok (engineer), also the Guardians EMP doesnt work on Spartan shield for some reason.

New lore:  All spartan armor electronics are on the inner shell of the armor and the armor itself is build like a nested Faraday cage. BAM.

Edit:

the Guardian got dismantled by a Huragok (engineer), also the Guardian’s EMP doesnt work on Spartan shields for some reason.