CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

41 minutes ago, MrTummyTumms said:

make your armor really scratched and dirty or make it look brand new

Perhaps losing your shields and taking health damage could cause your Spartan’s armor to appear more worn and damaged.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Perhaps losing your shields and taking health damage could cause your Spartan’s armor to appear more worn and damaged.  

Gay

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How were you able to read that?  This forum is way darker than CE.

Good point, but lucky for me I got night vision goggles on right now. 

You know that does sound kinda cool if I want to be honest. But I feel it’s a detail that wouldn’t be too noticeable. Man it’s features like that, that just don’t sound right in an FPS. In a 3ps sure, because least then you can personally see how it looks. Maybe if it looks cool then I guess your opponents might admire that or something 

Hope that they fundamentally redesign the shotgun, sword, and hammer for Infinite. As they are, they encourage players to crouch with them. Construct is probably the worst offender. 

Shotgun: A reticle 15% smaller, much higher effective range (slightly less than that of CE's), tighter pellet spread, Halo 4 shotgun RoF, and a lower maximum damage per each shot, only being capable of draining a target's shields to about 25% and killing with the following shot. Basically redesigned to encourage less camping, and making the weapon something that's actually useful across a variety of CQC encounters. Allows for someone getting crouched on to retaliate, too. 

Sword: A reticle 25% smaller, 15% boost to movement speed when equipped, 10% boost to jump height when equipped. Lunge distance 70% that of Halo 2's. Weapon hilt is clearly visible on the spartan model when non-equipped, a lingering blue afterglow surrounds the wielder for 1 second after the weapon is swapped from, and a gentle magnetic-thrum/air-ionizing sizzle like sound is heard while the weapon is equipped for a radius of 8 meters surrounding the wielder. The weapon only kills in a single strike if it strikes the head or torso, otherwise leaving the target with a tiny sliver of health remaining. The time to draw the weapon is half that of Halo 3's sword, and the cooldown between lunges is 70% that of Halo 3's sword. The cooldown between faster strikes is half as much as the lunge cooldown, but it does not move the user at all, and only has an effective range of 1 meter.  

Gravity Hammer: A reticle 15% smaller. The weapon cannot "lunge" (no accelerating forward whilst meleeing with a red reticle), but has a lot of splash damage that kills any opponents within a distance of 3 meters within plus or minus 25 degrees of the direction of the strike. The weapon's splash damage tapers off past this range, but it deals huge knockback, launching those hit by 7-12 meters. The weapon's lunge cooldown is 20% lower than Halo 3's hammer. The weapon deals nerfed splash damage to the wielder, which allows for very high hammer-jumps to be possible with this weapon. The weapon has a 1.2 second animation to equip. 

Thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

The weapon has a 1.2 second animation to equip. 

Why does it take so long to raise the Gravity Hammer after switching weapons?  What are you trying to accomplish with that?  

I think the weapons are fine the way they are. These are weapons whom camping has been encouraged in halo and just about any video game. Now the sword and hammer may not fit this category since they’re basically only in halo,  but the shotgun is no brainer. The shot gun being strong and consistent as h5 shotgun is perfectly fine. Making a gun like that as a weapon needing 2 shots even when up close completely nerfs the gun into the ground. I guess if you wanted it to be as strong as the mauler where basically you needed to shoot plus melee to pull off Ann effective kill with it, then I’ll agree with you on that one. But the shotgun is meant to kill people coming around corners quickly or in very close CQC ranges. It should be a 1SK. Not every weapon should be magically counter able. If you come around a corner and the guy happens to have a shot gun or sword out, you dying is ok. It was a simple matter of bad luck. Just like coming around a corner and a guy has a rocket launcher. Aka you’re fucked.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The Energy Sword is a weapon that occupies four buttons on the controller when it only requires one.  It’s only function is to lunge at targeted enemies.  It can do that with one button.  It doesn’t need the Reload button.  It doesn’t need the Scope button.  And it doesn’t need the Melee button since the sword’s primary attack is an enhanced melee.  

The sword should be turned into a melee enhancing pick up that increases damage and lunge.  Or they could continue to shoehorn mechanics like scope onto the sword in an effort to give unnecessary buttons purpose.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Energy Sword is a weapon that occupies four buttons on the controller when it only requires one.  It’s only function is to lunge at targeted enemies.  It can do that with one button.  It doesn’t need the Reload button.  It doesn’t need the Scope button.  And it doesn’t need the Melee button since the sword’s primary attack is an enhanced melee.  

The sword should be turned into a melee enhancing pick up that increases damage and lunge.  Or they could continue to shoehorn mechanics like scope onto the sword in an effort to give unnecessary buttons purpose.  

Dude stfu lmao. Just remove the damn lunge. 

4 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Dude stfu lmao. Just remove the damn lunge. 

Remove the one thing that makes the sword unique?  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Remove the one thing that makes the sword unique?  

Sorry I meant to say  the scoped lunge. No need to make the sword super special 

I look at players needing to buy special controllers with extra sets of triggers on the back in order to easily access the necessary functions then I look at one weapon occupying four buttons on the controller when it could do with one and I think, are these phenomena related?  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Hope that they fundamentally redesign the shotgun, sword, and hammer for Infinite. As they are, they encourage players to crouch with them. Construct is probably the worst offender. 

Shotgun: A reticle 15% smaller, much higher effective range (slightly less than that of CE's), tighter pellet spread, Halo 4 shotgun RoF, and a lower maximum damage per each shot, only being capable of draining a target's shields to about 25% and killing with the following shot. Basically redesigned to encourage less camping, and making the weapon something that's actually useful across a variety of CQC encounters. Allows for someone getting crouched on to retaliate, too. 

Sword: A reticle 25% smaller, 15% boost to movement speed when equipped, 10% boost to jump height when equipped. Lunge distance 70% that of Halo 2's. Weapon hilt is clearly visible on the spartan model when non-equipped, a lingering blue afterglow surrounds the wielder for 1 second after the weapon is swapped from, and a gentle magnetic-thrum/air-ionizing sizzle like sound is heard while the weapon is equipped for a radius of 8 meters surrounding the wielder. The weapon only kills in a single strike if it strikes the head or torso, otherwise leaving the target with a tiny sliver of health remaining. The time to draw the weapon is half that of Halo 3's sword, and the cooldown between lunges is 70% that of Halo 3's sword. The cooldown between faster strikes is half as much as the lunge cooldown, but it does not move the user at all, and only has an effective range of 1 meter.  

Gravity Hammer: A reticle 15% smaller. The weapon cannot "lunge" (no accelerating forward whilst meleeing with a red reticle), but has a lot of splash damage that kills any opponents within a distance of 3 meters within plus or minus 25 degrees of the direction of the strike. The weapon's splash damage tapers off past this range, but it deals huge knockback, launching those hit by 7-12 meters. The weapon's lunge cooldown is 20% lower than Halo 3's hammer. The weapon deals nerfed splash damage to the wielder, which allows for very high hammer-jumps to be possible with this weapon. The weapon has a 1.2 second animation to equip. 

Thoughts? 

i like the idea of the gravitys hammer knock back being much more powerful. so it has more use then just being a reskinned sword. i think they should change rockets too. more ammo and higher rof but harder to get kills. make it more skilled like quake or team fortress 

3 minutes ago, boogerman said:

i like the idea of the gravitys hammer knock back being much more powerful. so it has more use then just being a reskinned sword 

If the Gravity Hammer is going to be a usable infantry weapon, it has to be something more than just a one note smasher.  Rather than designing the hammer with normal gametypes in mind, think about asymmetric gametypes like juggernaut where it is one player with seven hunting him or invasion where a chieftain and his pack are defending an indefensible position from an unrelenting assault.  

The Hammer has to be a force to be reckoned with.  How can this be achieved?

Ask yourself, what does gravity do?  What would manipulating it be able to provide the player?

The Hammer only needs one button for its primary attack.  What are you going to do with the other three (melee, scope, reload)?

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

Why does it take so long to raise the Gravity Hammer after switching weapons?  What are you trying to accomplish with that?  

I just want anything but the design that it's taken H3-onwards. If you get outplayed in CQC, it's a low effort crutch to fall back on. A 1.2 sec time to equip would make it require more anticipation, discourage H2-sword cheapness in use, and emphasize the utility of the weapon over it's lethality. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Arlong said:

I think the weapons are fine the way they are. These are weapons whom camping has been encouraged in halo and just about any video game. Now the sword and hammer may not fit this category since they’re basically only in halo,  but the shotgun is no brainer. The shot gun being strong and consistent as h5 shotgun is perfectly fine. Making a gun like that as a weapon needing 2 shots even when up close completely nerfs the gun into the ground. I guess if you wanted it to be as strong as the mauler where basically you needed to shoot plus melee to pull off Ann effective kill with it, then I’ll agree with you on that one. But the shotgun is meant to kill people coming around corners quickly or in very close CQC ranges. It should be a 1SK. Not every weapon should be magically counter able. If you come around a corner and the guy happens to have a shot gun or sword out, you dying is ok. It was a simple matter of bad luck. Just like coming around a corner and a guy has a rocket launcher. Aka you’re fucked.

Something with the range of CE's shotgun, a fast RoF, and almost always a guaranteed 2SK seems pretty strong to me. Dude, play social FFA on Guardian with skilled players more than 5 times, and you'll find yourself agreeing with me. 

The shotgun is an awfully designed, cheap piece of shit. Halo having a higher average TTK, frees it up some room in terms of sandbox design. There's no reason to not take advantage of that. 

The weapons shouldn't be free kills at their respective ranges and useless outside. Ideally, the shotgun would take more effort to use effectively, while still being dangerous when used by a skilled player. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, _Synapse said:

emphasize the utility of the weapon over it's lethality.

What does this mean?  

While a player has the Missile Pod armor ability equipped, targeted enemy aerial vehicles are highlighted on his HUD.  Keeping the craft in frame for a moment, in the center of the player’s view, achieves Lock On.  

RB charges then fires up to three missiles that home if fired during lock on.  LB semi automatically fires missiles that are laser guided, moving towards what the user aims at.  

When a foot solider has access to both lock on and laser guided missiles in one package, coordinated strikes can be single handedly launched against aerial vehicles.  Banshee pilots are going to find it more difficult to outflip the 1-2 punch of lock on and laser guided missiles.  

Knockback on the hammer could be interesting, but then you have to make the swap time faster. Otherwise you knock a dude once, he goes flying and while you're switching to your ranged weapon you get melted.

6 hours ago, _Synapse said:

The weapons shouldn't be free kills at their respective ranges and useless outside. Ideally, the shotgun would take more effort to use effectively, while still being dangerous when used by a skilled player. 

Ummm a shot gun or sword very well should be exactly like that. A free kill in its respective range and useless outside it. It’s called balancing for a reason. In CE the shot gun shoots very fast like the h2 shot gun. But h3> the shot gun shoots slow, and has a max ammo of 5 shots. 

19 hours ago, _Synapse said:

As a rampant shotgun camper where ever possible, I take offense to the notion of not having it be a 0HK. I don't have any counter to your suggestion, Synapse. I'm a filthy casual. But whatever, I'll just whack my prey with this newfangled shitgun afterwards for the kill.

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

What does this mean?  

Emphasize the other "quirks" that the weapon has over it's raw lethality, like CE's quickcamo AR. 

10 hours ago, Arlong said:

Ummm a shot gun or sword very well should be exactly like that. A free kill in its respective range and useless outside it. It’s called balancing for a reason. In CE the shot gun shoots very fast like the h2 shot gun. But h3> the shot gun shoots slow, and has a max ammo of 5 shots. 

For the love of god, why? The sword/shotgun are the cheapest weapons in the game, barring H2's plasma pistol. 

Should the sniper rifle be a free kill at it's respective range? I'll bet you'll reply with no, because you want the weapon to take skill to use. 

So, why not take a weapon that arguably takes the least skill to use at it's pitiful optimal range, and give it a lethality - range tradeoff? 

14 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I just want anything but the design that it's taken H3-onwards. If you get outplayed in CQC, it's a low effort crutch to fall back on. A 1.2 sec time to equip would make it require more anticipation, discourage H2-sword cheapness in use, and emphasize the utility of the weapon over it's lethality. 

This is well put. The H2 sword was total garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

This is well put. The H2 sword was total garbage. 

Yep. Problem is, Bungie and 343 carried forward the design philosophy of the sword. H3's sword was one-dimensional and underpowered, Reach's was cheap AF with sprint, likewise for the following Halo games. 

This is just an attempt to CE-ify the sword, and make it a little more interesting.