CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Asymmetric Base Player Traits 

Infection features both humans and zombies.  Each species has their own unique base traits.  In Reach’s Power Slayer gametype, kills temporarily enhanced the player’s base traits.  

What other gametypes could feature players with unique base traits?  Should the VIP have different traits than his teammates?  Could there be a Power Up that transforms the player into a different species, with specific weapons and abilities?  How can asymmetric base player traits enhance existing gametypes or create new ones?  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Asymmetric Base Player Traits 

Infection features both humans and zombies.  Each species has their own unique base traits.  In Reach’s Power Slayer gametype, kills temporarily enhanced the player’s base traits.  

What other gametypes could feature players with unique base traits?  Should the VIP have different traits than his teammates?  Could there be a Power Up that transforms the player into a different species, with specific weapons and abilities?  How can asymmetric base player traits enhance existing gametypes or create new ones?  

You forgot about the most iconic Halo gametype with asymmetric traits: Juggernaut.

And to a lesser degree, Flag/Bomb/Oddball (but the only traits changed are usually movement speed and weapon usage)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven’t seen this posted yet - Definitely amazing news. Don’t even have to come out of pocket if it ends up not being good. Big news if it includes the PC version as well.

I ended up getting the Game Pass Ultimate for 3 years thanks to that $1 offer they were doing when they first announced it (might still be doing it tbh) - Couldn't really ask for a better deal on Xbox at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

This is how I figured out sea of thieves wasn't worth buying at launch so this is indeed a good thing. Only thing is, sea of thieves got noticably better over time. Infinite isn't guaranteed to get better at all after launch.

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

This is how I figured out sea of thieves wasn't worth buying at launch so this is indeed a good thing. Only thing is, sea of thieves got noticably better over time. Infinite isn't guaranteed to get better at all after launch.

Sea of thieves wasn’t bad though from a gameplay stand point or mechanic issues, it was bad because it’s content was lacking. Least that’s one of the things I’ve heard why people didn’t like it at first.

43 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sea of thieves wasn’t bad though from a gameplay stand point or mechanic issues, it was bad because it’s content was lacking. Least that’s one of the things I’ve heard why people didn’t like it at first.

Gameplay is also super basic. Sailing is unbelievably boring going from one place to the next.

46 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Gameplay is also super basic. Sailing is unbelievably boring going from one place to the next.

It’s called you’re playing a damn pirate game. The whole reason people play that shit is for the ship sailing and battles. Idk if any of you ever played pirates online(Disney) but That game was fun because of the ships. 

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

It’s called you’re playing a damn pirate game. The whole reason people play that shit is for the ship sailing and battles. Idk if any of you ever played pirates online(Disney) but That game was fun because of the ships. 

Not sure what that has to do with it being extremely basic and boring to sail. Just because its a pirate game doesn't mean it has to be boring by design.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nokt said:

Not sure what that has to do with it being extremely basic and boring to sail. Just because its a pirate game doesn't mean it has to be boring by design.

Assassin's Creed 4 ironically was one of the better pirate games I've played.

18 hours ago, Nokt said:

What are expecting from sailing, something really complex or something? 

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

Complexity =/= interesting

39 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Complexity =/= interesting

How would you make it complex 

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

How would you make it complex 

I'm no game designer but there are ways to make sailing interesting. A few ideas off the top of my head (again, not a game designer):

1) Scenery and art. If you're enjoying what you're looking at you won't mind travelling (e.g. RDR2).

2) Chance encounters with enemies, friends or loot. If you know there's a chance you can find something spicy or encounter something spicy and it isn't repetitive (i.e. the same encounter every time), sailing would be more interesting.

3) Managing the crew. If you're a pirate some of your crew could get rowdy, forcing you to intervene. Mutinies could happen.

4) Stakes. This is by far the best method. If you are returning from a lootfest with some hefty booty trying to make it back to your home island, the stakes are high because you have something to lose. If you know there is a chance of encountering someone or something that will steal your loot, the sailing becomes tense and exciting. If you are being chased, the sailing becomes extremely tense and exciting. It's just sailing, but the stakes change everything.

There are plenty of other thing: storms, ship maintenance (poor maintenance makes things fail) dolphins swimming alongside, sea shanty's. Good game design can keep you interested.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I'm no game designer but there are ways to make sailing interesting. A few ideas off the top of my head (again, not a game designer):

1) Scenery and art. If you're enjoying what you're looking at you won't mind travelling (e.g. RDR2).

2) Chance encounters with enemies, friends or loot. If you know there's a chance you can find something spicy or encounter something spicy and it isn't repetitive (i.e. the same encounter every time), sailing would be more interesting.

3) Managing the crew. If you're a pirate some of your crew could get rowdy, forcing you to intervene. Mutinies could happen.

4) Stakes. This is by far the best method. If you are returning from a lootfest with some hefty booty trying to make it back to your home island, the stakes are high because you have something to lose. If you know there is a chance of encountering someone or something that will steal your loot, the sailing becomes tense and exciting. If you are being chased, the sailing becomes extremely tense and exciting. It's just sailing, but the stakes change everything.

There are plenty of other thing: storms, ship maintenance (poor maintenance makes things fail) dolphins swimming alongside, sea shanty's. Good game design can keep you interested.

Sea of thieves has that currently don’t they? Heck’s you can get attacked by krackens and megaladons 

12 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sea of thieves has that currently don’t they? Heck’s you can get attacked by krackens and megaladons 

Never played it but if it does then that's my point exactly

15 hours ago, Arlong said:

I worded that poorly. I wasn't specifically saying that sailing alone was boring, it is, but the entire game at launch was bare bones, very basic, and very boring.

I've heard they added a lot post launch, but I have no desire to attempt playing again.

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Most of this actually does apply to the game, but I initiated almost every encounter with another player and most of the time they just ran away in my week or 2 stint in the game. Most of the time the loot they have isn't even worth the encounter, you just do it because its the only exciting part of the game.

Missions are dreadfully boring, enemy AI is trash, clothing is just cosmetic, small amount of guns. I don't understand the drive to get loot to gain cosmetic items, what am I grinding for here? Whats my motivation?

Graphically isn't not that much of a looker and I also never encountered a kraken or even saw another player get attacked by it. Megalodon's were added post update so I wouldn't have seen them.

What do you think about a one man ground vehicle with a flexible tail that can whip splatter enemies near the drift-able craft’s path of travel?  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about a one man ground vehicle with a flexible tail that can whip splatter enemies near the drift-able craft’s path of travel?  

That sounds ok tbh. Would make for a very useful offensive vehicle 

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

I'd honestly love to see you create your own game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Here's a supposed 'leak'.

unknown.png

I don't buy it. 

That sounds not real whatsoever. 

• Like (+1) 3

Splitting the game into classic + new movement basically means they've built two separate multiplayer games. With maps, jump heights, aim assist, projectile speed, etc, all designed around either classic or new movement speeds. 343 has enough trouble building one functional multiplayer at a time, there's no way they could pull off two. Even with this much time in between releases. I call BS.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Fuck locke

Why you hating on the black man. That’s also luke cage there man 

I knew it was fake when I read 60 GB. H5 is already 110 or something, how is the "most ambitious Halo game" smaller than that? I'm totally buying Theater getting delayed and playing as Locke again (which no one asked for) though.

• Like (+1) 1