CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Is Area Access Denial a solid mechanic, or is it cheese? 

I don’t think Halo should have area denial grenades for the same reason I don’t think there should be weapons that cause players to “bleed out” (lose health over time) or player deployable auto turrets that automatically shoot enemies within range.  These things independently cause damage without input from the player.  I am not a fan of that.  If a player wants to lock down an area for an extended period, he needs to spend the time and remain at the position that allows him to throw nade after nade at that area.  

The Spike grenade is a decent compromise between normal, “explode then gone” nades and long duration, area denial grenades.  The spikes that are fired upon detonation have a travel time and can ricochet.  If one goes off in a small room, it behaves like an area denial grenade for a short time.  

I’m not against any and all forms of area denial, mostly I just don’t want sandbox items dedicated directly to that purpose (outside of the Power Drain, bring that baby back).  You could shoot an overhead pipe and a geyser of damaging steam pours out.  When the map designer controls it, it can be properly limited and even give the map character.  The automated defenses on Snowbound and Sandtrap don’t quite deny a player access but they sure do discourage it.  

So, imagine you had a weapon that could also pick up, move, and drop crates.  Your base has three entrances and a crate in the center of the room.  You could leave all three entrances open and use the crate to take cover from different sight lines or you could block one entrance with the crate, losing your cover piece in the process.  Is the crate going to stop a player who wants to get through it?  No, a grenade or a couple melees will open that path back up but it does make other, easier routes look more appealing.  Area discouragement.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

(outside of the Power Drain, bring that baby back). 

If equipment returns in Infinite, it should be clearly visible on the player model somehow. Another hallmark of "True Halo" to me is that you should always be able to read the enemy. I wouldn't charge someone who has a rocket launcher because I can see they have a rocket launcher. Likewise I might not fire a rocket at someone if I see they have a bubble shield on them. Especially if they're with teammates at an objective. Equipment in H3 was only slightly less flawed than AAs in Reach because of this. It was a map pickup - but it was still effectively 'random' to the affected enemy player because they had no way of knowing which enemy had said pickup.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

I don’t think Halo should have area denial grenades for the same reason I don’t think there should be weapons that cause players to “bleed out” (lose health over time) or player deployable auto turrets that automatically shoot enemies within range.  These things independently cause damage without input from the player.  I am not a fan of that.  If a player wants to lock down an area for an extended period, he needs to spend the time and remain at the position that allows him to throw nade after nade at that area.  

The Spike grenade is a decent compromise between normal, “explode then gone” nades and long duration, area denial grenades.  The spikes that are fired upon detonation have a travel time and can ricochet.  If one goes off in a small room, it behaves like an area denial grenade for a short time.  

I’m not against any and all forms of area denial, mostly I just don’t want sandbox items dedicated directly to that purpose (outside of the Power Drain, bring that baby back).  You could shoot an overhead pipe and a geyser of damaging steam pours out.  When the map designer controls it, it can be properly limited and even give the map character.  The automated defenses on Snowbound and Sandtrap don’t quite deny a player access but they sure do discourage it.  

So, imagine you had a weapon that could also pick up, move, and drop crates.  Your base has three entrances and a crate in the center of the room.  You could leave all three entrances open and use the crate to take cover from different sight lines or you could block one entrance with the crate, losing your cover piece in the process.  Is the crate going to stop a player who wants to get through it?  No, a grenade or a couple melees will open that path back up but it does make other, easier routes look more appealing.  Area discouragement.  

I mean, I agree about not using grenades to accomplish this lol. 

I'd make the brute shot / concussion rifle / fuel rod cannon have a huge splash damage radius and higher damage dropoff. That way, it's not as simple as "press LT to deny access to this area".  It would require a player who wanted to flush someone out of a corner / deny access to an area to aim at and constantly bombard said area while he wanted it to be locked down. 

The Halo 2 brute shot already has a proto-form of this, though I'd double it's damage radius and make it a 6SK from the edge of it's splash damage radius. Add some non-resetting recoil, and you have a semi-decent implementation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Faeyrin said:

If equipment returns in Infinite, it should be clearly visible on the player model somehow. Another hallmark of "True Halo" to me is that you should always be able to read the enemy. I wouldn't charge someone who has a rocket launcher because I can see they have a rocket launcher. Likewise I might not fire a rocket at someone if I see they have a bubble shield on them. Especially if they're with teammates at an objective. Equipment in H3 was only slightly less flawed than AAs in Reach because of this. It was a map pickup - but it was still effectively 'random' to the affected enemy player because they had no way of knowing which enemy had said pickup.

If Thruster and Jetpack were pick ups, would you consider them “effectively random” since even though they are displayed on the player model, they are displayed on the player’s back, making them effectively invisible to an enemy facing the front of the player?  

It’s amusing how halo is apparently a one gun game and YET, if you watch beast n bones 2v2 halo 3, you’ll realize that’s the exact opposite. These guys use everything, not use the utility. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

If Thruster and Jetpack were pick ups, would you consider them “effectively random” since even though they are displayed on the player model, they are displayed on the player’s back, making them effectively invisible to an enemy facing the front of the player?  

Technically this isn’t true. If you look at. Spartans belt you can see what equipment they have on them. But usually you’re not paying too much attention to such a thing(sorry I commented to you and not the original post)

Cosplay stuff and general merch: Check. 

Gameplay: Coming Soon TM. 

3 minutes ago, Basu said:

The entire sandbox is going to get leaked via nerf gun and megablocks announcements.

If any of those action figures have a grappling hook attachment I’m done with Halo.

• Simms (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Basu said:

The entire sandbox is going to get leaked via nerf gun and megablocks announcements.

from some footage we saw the employees playing a halo game that had the reach style ar and the nerf gun is reach style so looks to be true 

Halo infinite is literally just going to be that cut megabloks halo game

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Watch basically none of this stuff be in Infinite and they're just abusing the fact that they can just slap on the logo and release anything since there is no gameplay

• Thonking (+0) 1

5 hours ago, Basu said:

You joke but get ready to see some of those guns get repainted and look badass.

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

Yes. But I think thrust being an innate ability off spawn is a good thing. As for jetpack, if it was like 25% bigger than it was in Reach then it could be seen on a player from all angles and would thus be appropriately telegraphed. It might be hard to design it without it looking comically big, but it's a video game. Who cares, eh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If an item requires a unique animation be performed prior to deployment, like throwing a grenade, does the item still need to be displayed on the player model or does the early warning system of the animation provide a sufficient heads up?

@Faeyrin

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

If an item requires a unique animation be performed prior to deployment, like throwing a grenade, does the item still need to be displayed on the player model or does the early warning system of the animation provide a sufficient heads up?

@Faeyrin

It could work I suppose. In H3 the Power Drain was somewhat like that because there was indeed an animation and a travel time once the object was spawned off the player, but I'd say that the radius was too wide for how little time there was to react. I guess you could say it was basically a 'power grenade'. Slower travel speed, longer animation, smaller effective radius - something of that nature and I would've been more okay with it. On the other hand, the bubble shield was a very egregious offender of arena gameplay flow. It could be used almost instantly and the collision model actually spawned in about a full second before the visuals were even rendered. Even armor lock was more fair in that sense. :kappa:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think about a Bubble Shield that does not instantly deploy but does not disable the user’s ability to move and attack while deploying either?  A single point independently grows out into a large sphere from the user’s location at the time of deployment.  It couldn’t save you from an incoming rocket but with forethought could be used as temporary cover.  

@Faeyrin

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about a Bubble Shield that does not instantly deploy but does not disable the user’s ability to move and attack while deploying either?  A single point independently grows out into a large sphere from the user’s location at the time of deployment.  It couldn’t save you from an incoming rocket but with forethought could be used as temporary cover.  

@Faeyrin

Idk that sounds like it’s basically useless. We just should have a bubble shield that like the armor lock Nerf, can be damaged which shortens it’s time up. I think a natural 15 seconds after deployment. A rocket destroys it, a grenade reduces it by 5 seconds(each) . Any other gun that isn’t an explosive should reduce it by 1 second, and a sniper rifle should reduce it by 8 each shot. 
I always did like the power drain, as it was something you could dodge, and it was great for offensive play. The other abilities promoted passive play styles which really sucked. 

A Bubble Shield would be useless if vehicles could destroy it in one shot.  

@Arlong

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

A Bubble Shield would be useless if vehicles could destroy it in one shot.  

@Arlong

The point is the shield would protect the person after the first shot. In reach the bubble shield could be destroyed, and a tank shot would do just that. 

5 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The point is the shield would protect the person after the first shot. In reach the bubble shield could be destroyed, and a tank shot would do just that. 

Reach’s Drop Shield was a base trait, not a pick up.  It makes sense that an unlimited, off spawn ability would be less powerful than a single use pick up.  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Reach’s Drop Shield was a base trait, not a pick up.  It makes sense that an unlimited, off spawn ability would be less powerful than a single use pick up.  

And! It was quite balanced compared to its equipment counterpart(although I guess from a lore perspective the equipment was superior lmao) . The bubble shield being able to be destroyed would be balanced, and if anything we can up to the time of a shield to 30 seconds, that way it takes a bit more to destroy than one single rocket.