CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

your links didn’t point me in the right direction which I bet you yourself couldn’t even find

which I bet you yourself couldn’t even find

you yourself couldn’t even find

couldn’t even find

On 2/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, Shekkles said:

So let's go back and look at my post where I linked this article about Anthem:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/04/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong/

And there is this exact quote from the story:

Just a couple months before Anthem shipped, decisions were still being finalised and overhauled. At one point, for example, the leadership team realised that there was no place in the game to show off your gear, which was a problem for a game in which the long-term monetisation was all based on cosmetics.

There is your damn example. Now stop accusing others of failing to do what you can't.

tenor.gif

• Fire (+1) 4

Armor Ability:  Hologram 

LB creates a stationary duplicate player model a short distance in front of the user.  The Body Double mimics the user; moving, looking, crouching, and jumping in unison.  The relative position of the body double is fixed and cannot be changed ie if the body double is initially created north of the user, it will always remain north of the user (the north remembers).  

RB sends a Hologram running forward.  It looks in the direction the user looks, crouches when he crouches, and jumps when he jumps.  Crouching slows the movement speed of the hologram.  Jumping at the correct moment can send the hologram soaring over gaps that it normally would have run right off the edge of.  

By holding then releasing RB, the user can independently set both the direction of the hologram’s forward trajectory as well as the desired destination.  A hologram released this way will follow pathways on the map, like around curves and turns. 

45 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Lmao get fucked

And yet my original point was a game changing in its last month of development. A couple months could be 2,3, heck’s even 4 months in game development terms since most Devs like to use words like soon but soon is like 6 months plus later so no I didn’t get fucked.

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

tenor.gif

good one shekkles, and yet you posted what 7 articles that didn’t give me the info I originally wanted. I wanted to know if a game does some game changing shit in its last month. Here’s an example. Game comes out October 18 and development team changes something in SEPTEMBER. A couple months is plenty of time to me, to do some changes but 1 month away it does not. I’ll admit defeat if you can show me such a game(also id prefer it to be a triple A title because indie developed games or games that basically had no real audience doesn’t really mean much to me, but I’ll still accept any of those). 

25 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

@Boyo, 2 buttons devoted to equipment?

Yes.  Two buttons, specifically buttons that have directionality to them, ie LEFT bumper and RIGHT bumper, is the most efficient setup and the optimal way of delivering abilities to the player.  Weapons have the triggers for fire and scope or fire and alt fire.  Armor abilities have the bumpers.  Two sets of two, weapons and AAs, best setup.  

Directional AA buttons allow the user to become or to deploy something mobile.  For example, LB turns left, RB turns right, LB+RB boost forward.  In addition, three functions have now been squeezed out of two buttons.  More bang for your buck.  

Another way to squeeze a third function out of a dual button system is to have LB, RB, and Hold LB then Press RB.  Or LB, RB, and Hold then Release RB.  

LB could cycle through available options.  RB can activate the selected one.  

A dual button AA system offers so much more depth and possibilities than a single button ever could.  

8 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Yes.  Two buttons, specifically buttons that have directionality to them, ie LEFT bumper and RIGHT bumper, is the most efficient setup and the optimal way of delivering abilities to the player.  Weapons have the triggers for fire and scope or fire and alt fire.  Armor abilities have the bumpers.  Two sets of two, weapons and AAs, best setup.  

Directional AA buttons allow the user to become or to deploy something mobile.  For example, LB turns left, RB turns right, LB+RB boost forward.  In addition, three functions have now been squeezed out of two buttons.  More bang for your buck.  

Another way to squeeze a third function out of a dual button system is to have LB, RB, and Hold LB then Press RB.  Or LB, RB, and Hold then Release RB.  

A dual button AA system offers so much more depth and possibilities than a single button ever could.  

So what about those of us who use bumper jumper? 

Just now, Arlong said:

So what about those of us who use bumper jumper? 

Armor abilities are mapped to A and B on Bumper Jumper.  4v4 and below rarely have any AAs on the map so it would really only come into play in the 6v6 or 9v9 playlists where AAs are pick ups and base traits.  

I really do wonder if infinite will increase the players per match(this includes custom games as well). At max id love for us to get 32 players(50,64,100 sounds a bit much for halo.) with this newest game engine the game id imagine can handle those higher player counts easier. I hope if they give us Ai, that the AI is smart(or is scriptable on the player side). I’d assume one reason halo doesn’t have Ai(by this I mean spartan Ai like bots that you can play against in call of duty custom games with set difficulties.) is because halo is way more complex than other games because of what you may require these bots to do. Also don’t forget forge maps(but one cool thing could be you give players the ability to program the AI on what they can do on the map. There’s many cool maps we’d all like if people played on. But there’s always a problem in this regard.

1. Don’t have any friends playing halo.

2, can’t get people from mm interested enough to join your custom.

3. Can’t get enough people to join your custom when the map/infection game type requires 10-16 people for it to be fun. 
4. quitters. The modes start boring people so they leave so this causes problems.

5. Lack of a custom browser. 
6. Even when there is a browser people for some reason join clan recruitment lobby’s or those stupid ass assassination lobby’s. 
7. Overall smart AI be great. 
8. I’m basically saying AI would fix every problem I listed 

6 hours ago, Arlong said:

I wanted to know if a game does some game changing shit in its last month. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, Arlong said:

Couple months. That’s “two” not one, but  two! But it still holds weight that games can change in short amount of time.

Nice little retroactive take backsies there.

indie developed games or games that basically had no real audience. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/02/14/hollow-knight-sales-top-two-million/#/slide/1

Here’s an example. Game comes out October 18 and development team changes something in SEPTEMBER.

Go watch the Fallout 76 video (named "The Fall of 76"). You'll get a laugh out of it. 

I’ll admit defeat if you can show me such a game

I didn't realise it was a competition, however you've definitely won. Here is your trophy 🏆 you can put it on your shelf right next to your self-awareness because you definitely don't carry that with you.

• Fire (+1) 4
  • Salt (-1) 1

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

Part of the reason I couldn't get my buddies into Halo 5 back in 2016 was the game's complexity and barrier to entry for baseline competency. When I see really convoluted stuff like this, it reminds me of how difficult it can be to introduce Halo to someone that's never played it.  I understand that it could have a ton of potential, but there is beauty in simplicity, and its importance to new players is often underrated.

I had to watch a Youtube video to understand all the different ways to deploy Ying's candelas in Siege. That's not good design, even if it technically is.

• Like (+1) 1

They're probably thinking of some non-sense abilities to map to buttons to sell more Elite controllers.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

They're probably thinking of some non-sense abilities to map to buttons to sell more Elite controllers.

They'll put playable Brutes in there for you.

18 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

They'll put playable Brutes in there for you.

That’s actually something the community has wanted for years lmao, so least that be a good thing they’d done. 

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Part of the reason I couldn't get my buddies into Halo 5 back in 2016 was the game's complexity and barrier to entry for baseline competency. When I see really convoluted stuff like this, it reminds me of how difficult it can be to introduce Halo to someone that's never played it.  I understand that it could have a ton of potential, but there is beauty in simplicity, and its importance to new players is often underrated.

I had to watch a Youtube video to understand all the different ways to deploy Ying's candelas in Siege. That's not good design, even if it technically is.

I always believed that a game should have a good mix of both simplicity and complexity. I like to think that was h3(the halo I’ve had most experience with) there were skill jumps and other ways to play which brought upon the complexity but it was still simple. Best thing about it was the fact you could just step in this game like cod and do decently well. That’s why cod has never died, because it’s so simple and for many that’s all it takes to keep them playing. CSGO is simple but still complex. Even a strategy game like league is simple. But I’d never call h5 simple. 

I don't want to play a game where I shell out $150 for a controller that I have to perform maintenance on every 3 months just so I can keep my thumb on the joystick when I thrust.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

I can keep my thumb on the joystick when I thrust.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

16 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Get your mind out of the Halo 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 3

@Shekkles don't think I didn't notice you changed your reaction from fire to toxic.

What astounds me is you actually thought about your reaction use and thought "no, toxic would suit the situation more".

• Toxic (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

@Shekkles don't think I didn't notice you changed your reaction from fire to toxic.

What astounds me is you actually thought about your reaction use and thought "no, toxic would suit the situation more".

What astounds me is you're dead right.

That’s actually something the community has wanted for years lmao, so least that be a good thing they’d done. 

I always believed that a game should have a good mix of both simplicity and complexity. I like to think that was h3(the halo I’ve had most experience with) there were skill jumps and other ways to play which brought upon the complexity but it was still simple. Best thing about it was the fact you could just step in this game like cod and do decently well. That’s why cod has never died, because it’s so simple and for many that’s all it takes to keep them playing. CSGO is simple but still complex. Even a strategy game like league is simple. But I’d never call h5 simple. 

The word you're looking for is depth, not complexity. Halo was simple and deep. Now it is complex. 

• Like (+1) 7

14 hours ago, Shekkles said:

playable Brutes 

Brutes can lunge forward a short distance by activating the Gravity Gauntlet with LB.  Brutes can launch themselves upward a moderate distance by activating the Gravity Boots with RB.  While airborne, pressing Jump immediately shoots the user down to the ground, striking where his reticle was aimed with a melee attack that releases splash damage and knockback.  Melees knock players back.  Crouching activates Berserker where the Brute is nearly immune to headshots, has increased damage resistance to bodyshots, and increased movement speed but can only perform non-knockback melee attacks.  

I want a complex and deep Halo. I don't care if my friends wouldn't get into it. I'll make friends with the people who are into it. But please no alternative playable races unless they're purely cosmetic. A key to "True Halo" to me is where every player has the same starting equipment. You must be able to do what everyone else can off spawn. This is the way.

10 minutes ago, Faeyrin said:

I want a complex and deep Halo. I don't care if my friends wouldn't get into it. I'll make friends with the people who are into it. But please no alternative playable races unless they're purely cosmetic. A key to "True Halo" to me is where every player has the same starting equipment. You must be able to do what everyone else can off spawn. This is the way.

The majority of the playlists would have equal starts, Spartan v Spartan.  One playlist, Invasion, would have multiple playable species, each with their own unique abilities.  

Invasion having multiple races works for the class based nature of the mode. I'm fine with keeping that stuff in there and not having it get forced into the rest of the game.

But you know, everything has to be the same now. 

• Like (+1) 2

Question: Is Area Access Denial a solid mechanic, or is it cheese? 

I think that it's a decent overall mechanic that should be avoided completely in certain gamemodes. It's a reasonable mechanic in KoTH, Oddball, and Strongholds, but a poor mechanic in CTF, Slayer, and Assault. 

KoTH, Oddball, and Strongholds encourage a stagnant "stay in setup and hunker down" type of gameplay. Adding this mechanic would give offensive individual players more control and encourage more pragmatic movement on the part of the defensive players. CTF and Assault hinge on the ability of the offensive team to be able to score, which is severely hurt by the mechanic. 

Slayer is (ideally, anyway) a much more fluid and dynamic gamemode that relies primarily on the ability to control powerups and power weapons. Assuming static timers, it would result in teams constantly bombarding one another in a chaotic fuckfest every time rockets or camo spawned. Not ideal.  

Halo 5's splinter grenades were a poor implementation of this mechanic, because they were too easy to use and too static (the damage-dealing orbs literally hung in the air for a period of time). 

Ideally, the Brute Shot / Concussion Rifle / Fuel Rod Cannon would have their utility designed around this mechanic.         

For one, this would remove some of the weapon's sandbox redundancy and give them depth. Two, it would allow for more careful, deliberate distribution of the mechanic across maps (as opposed to making grenades more lethal or something akin to that). 

Design the weapons like pseudo-power weapons, with a low supply of ammo and 75-105 second static timer. 

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1