CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 hours ago, JordanB said:

Too many stats can lead due a busy scoreboard which can leave casuals not caring. Maybe that's one of your goals is to not care so much about kills, idk.

But how are you going to show the scoreboard in-game? Right now it's very easy to see "kills" "deaths" "assists". If you add a "last hit" category now the scoreboard text is becoming smaller to read and becomes busier as well. I guess you could remove the kills category from the in-game scoreboard entirely but IMO that just sounds weird. Maybe that won't matter once we get used to it though, idk. But some people can be so sensitive that even changing that could irk them.

I wouldn't change the information displayed on the in-game scoreboard. Maybe "Finishes" is a better term for it. But I'd have Finishes, Assists and Deaths available by holding back. Save Solo Kills and Critical Assists for the PGCR, and just have a Critical Assist also count as an Assist.

4 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I've played my fair share of no radar Ffa in Halo, and I find it plays better with radar for a couple of reasons. Being able to watch your own back and avoid being ganked every fight being the biggest. Radar gives players some control of that chaos in lieu of teammates. Chaos isn't necessarily bad, but giving players the ability to pick and choose their fights has far more nuisance than just throwing them into a grinder.

You'd have a somewhat stronger argument for no radar if players weren't gimped lethality wise, but since we're still in shallow teamshot meta Halo, radar is necessary for FFA's competitive health.

I played a bunch of no-radar FFA in H2 customs in my dorm, before I knew any better. It's just random as fuck. People spawn behind you and have several seconds to tee up their kill on you before you even know they're there. You get way more undeserved kills and deaths without radar.

Regarding lethality, radar is still used for H1 FFA, and the radar is even stronger in that game. It just helps you make an informed decision in an otherwise chaotic mode. Those that can manage the chaos the best will find success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't much mind however the scoreboard is presented mid-game, but I really like Destiny 2's primary metric being efficiency and it would be nifty if more games adopted that labeling. It's truly just a different word for KDA - but it's the primary performance metric in both post-match and in general. There's no emblem/nameplate in the game that shows exclusive K/D. While finishing blows do have a slightly higher weighting than assists, labeling it as efficiency is an overall better connotation. It's very possible to have considerably less finishing blows than assists, especially the longer that TTK is in a game, and therefore have a bad looking K/D. But, in reality, you're actually a pretty damn good player with KDA.

As for radar in FFA...yes, it's needed. FFA is already sufficiently chaotic even with radar and especially so in newer Halo with advanced movement. A competitive no radar FFA would basically require special maps just for that. Larger ones to ensure a bloke can't just spawn behind you and perfect TTK you or get a free round of Whackamole on your spinal cord. Even still that sometimes happens if you're in a duel and can't glance at radar.

Honestly I'm an advocate for radar in all gametypes, competitive settings or not (ideally there will be no setting discrepancy in Infinite ofc). More of a hot take, I know, but my perspective is that it's something the competitive scene has too eagerly eschewed without realizing that it's decidedly True Halo-esque. Utility weapon dynamics and map design philosophies come and go, but it's been true since CE to now that there exists a dynamic between modes of movement and radar. Crouched movement keeps you off of it and anything faster pings you. It's another dimension that a player has the ability to manipulate, and being able to spontaneously start up a headgame and play with doublethink is an underrated dynamic in my opinion. The usual sentiment against it is that it encourages camping, but I think that's overblown. Visually spotted players will be called out all the same and if a ping on radar randomly disappears then it's evident that the enemy has crouched down and they're still going to be called out. What's more, if anyone's playing sweaty then of course they have a good headset on that can hear footsteps and ambush all the same, radar or not. Yet further, the crouched player is making the tradeoff of attempting to ambush instead of teamshooting. These dynamics have existed since CE. Assuming Infinite has advanced mobility - I highly doubt it won't - the incognito player could easily be reverse ambushed by a proactive enemy. In H5 someone can try to camp a corner but an aggressive player can sprint into a slide-thrust around said corner before the camper can even react. The 18 meter radar sees to it that the aggressor is only pinged for a literal fraction of a second before the engagement.

But I guess a compromise has already been struck via the advanced-movement radar. It's not a bad solution.

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

In the Invasion gametype, 3 out of the 9 players per team are officers, spawning with unique abilities and more powerful weapons.  When the game decides who will spawn as officers, players with a lower quit percentage are given better odds.  

Footstep sounds cant be compared to no radar. Footsteps gives you an idea they’re around you so you can be prepared but since footstep sounds are physics it doesn’t count as free information. Radar gives you an exact place that they’re going to be. Radar could easily tell me if a guy is on s1 lockout, but I’d never have a clue he’s there if say I’m shooting someone at someone who is back BR, so that guy was now able to kill me. Radar just needs to be like cod where you only appear if you’re shooting and that’s that. 

EDIT: Beat!  you sonuvabitch

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:
EDIT: Beat!  you sonuvabitch

Nice to know infinite will launch with a playlist. Although I wonder if infinite will have console only tournaments or will they do a hybrid. I like to think aim assist won’t be so over powered in infinite compared to halo reach, and 343 will have the systems that’ll allow cross play/input mm like what fortnite and MW do.

You know when you think about it fortnite started cross play.  Now other games had this but never to the extent fortnite started with. They’re the ones who came up with the idea(I guess enacted is a better description) of input mm for balancing reasons. They found a way to put all groups of players together without causing unnecessary splits. Not every game uses this feature but were seeing it more and more. If it wasn’t for fortnite we’d probably never see cross play to this extent 

36 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Nice to know infinite will launch with a playlist. Although I wonder if infinite will have console only tournaments or will they do a hybrid. I like to think aim assist won’t be so over powered in infinite compared to halo reach, and 343 will have the systems that’ll allow cross play/input mm like what fortnite and MW do.

Did I miss the part where they mentioned a playlist?

29 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Did I miss the part where they mentioned a playlist?

I mean they said the game would launch with esports so that kinda speaks for itself.

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I mean they said the game would launch with esports so that kinda speaks for itself.

Modern Warfare launched with esports, just not for the playerbase, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Hully said:

Modern Warfare launched with esports, just not for the playerbase, lol. 

Good point. 

All this eSport PR talk means jack shit if the game is another ability fuckfest. I have a feeling they're just going to throw money at tournaments again in order to force a competitive scene. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Basu said:

All this eSport PR talk means jack shit if the game is another ability fuckfest. I have a feeling they're just going to throw money at tournaments again in order to force a competitive scene. 

Exactly. This is a good step in the right direction, but utterly pointless if the game isn't up to scratch. And given that we're like 9 months from launch and haven't even seen gameplay yet, it's kind of hard to feel overly optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 3

There’s only one ability I’m fine with and that’s thruster but I’d like it nerfed. 343 has no doubt thought of how do we modernize halo and keep that halo feeling. It’s no doubt a difficult question. Many here and other places have always said a faster based movement speed, but have never once thought  “too fast”. I can assure you quake like speeds can never work halo gameplay.. I like to think the movement speed the halo combat evolved playlist in reach is step in the right direction as that was faster than the MLG speed. A nerfed thruster like the one in mythic be very good. If sprint stays then I sure hope they’ve found a good compromise this time around, although I highly doubt they figured one out this time. It’s funny how people say mythic feels more like halo than regular h5, and yer it has thrust and stabilize. Really goes to show sprint is the thing that makes halo feel less halo than anything.

im not against clamber but it’s definitely one of those things that makes halo feel less halo like in my opinion. Most arena games I know of never have that feature. 

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Do you need to be smothered with puppies man you're so cynical and negative the majority of the time. you okay bro?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

3 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Do you need to be smothered with puppies man you're so cynical and negative the majority of the time. you okay bro? 

I'm fine thanks. Just tired of people falling for the same shit every couple years and wanted to leave a heads up.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Yo lemme get some of them puppies pls

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Basu said:

It is just another form of advertising to these corporations. The competitive game still has a chance to be good, but they will throw money at it regardless just as another way to get more eyes on it. 

On 2/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, HeX Reapers said:

thanks for not answering my question

Keep in mind Arlong is the guy that asked a question then refused to read the answer.

• Fire (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Boyo said:

In the Invasion gametype, 3 out of the 9 players per team are officers, spawning with unique abilities and more powerful weapons.  When the game decides who will spawn as officers, players with a lower quit percentage are given better odds.  

Have you ever played red orchestra 2 or rising storm 2?

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Keep in mind Arlong is the guy that asked a question then refused to read the answer.

What question was that?  Oh now I remember. The problem is the answer was given in a way where your links didn’t point me in the right direction which I bet you yourself couldn’t even find. Usually when I link someone something it shows them right away what they’re looking for.  Then put the blame on me for not wasting my own time to personally look for it. Basically you quoted a book but didn’t tell the people what page it was on, and you expect people to of looked for it. You’d be a great educator. 

here’s a new tommy video I thought was interesting. 

• Fire (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Basu said:

At the same though it is one weight taken off the table with ex-MLG taking the helm. From the sounds of it, 343 are wanting to continue to try and stoke the open circuit / multiple event organisers coals so really they're going to need some starting money to get it off the ground.

Obviously we are talking about a AAA title so [with the amount of development time] polish is expected but the game basically needs to be serviceable at launch and it will do fine for a while. CSGO was dogshit when it released then started getting the support it needed, Rainbow 6 again flopped and has since gained traction. Halo at least has a leg up on these games in that their developer focus SHOULD be on Infinite and supporting it's scene from the off, not to mentio they have the funds / resources to do so.

We'll see, obviously gameplay direction could be a terrible turnoff but I'm feeling optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1