CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Highly unlikely, but if Infinite were to remove radar from base matchmaking, then-

• No maps with hyper-interconnected pathing. They turn into the equivalent of AR TS when played without radar. IE, no maps like Plaza or Heretic. 

• A higher base FOV would be nice. 

• Low aim smoothing. The aim consistently feels like garbage in games with high smoothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Highly unlikely, but if Infinite were to remove radar from base matchmaking, then-

• No maps with hyper-interconnected pathing. They turn into the equivalent of AR TS when played without radar. IE, no maps like Plaza or Heretic. 

Um excuse me what? Both maps are br heavy.  Are we talking ffa or something? 

Radar should detect the use of weapons or armor abilities and the presence of enemy vehicles.  If a scripted map event can deal damage, it should appear as well.  

Traditional radar has a short range but is highly accurate, giving the enemy’s exact position sans elevation.  Vehicles can be detected out to a longer range.  Their indicators are displayed around the outer edge of the radar, only giving the direction of the vehicle, not an exact location or even a distance.  

The current h5 radar isn’t necessarily bad as it’s range is low so flanking still works, but it’s not as effective as the advanced movement radar. 

radar's existence is the biggest "because every other halo had it" mechanic. takes away much more than it adds. nuke it completely or give social a teammate radar if people are desperate for that ICONIC circle in the bottom left corner.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

radar's existence is the biggest "because every other halo had it" mechanic. takes away much more than it adds. nuke it completely or give social a teammate radar if people are desperate for that ICONIC circle in the bottom left corner.

Advanced radar is more balanced than a team only radar. It does it’s job of showing enemies but only when it’s most appropriate like shooting. 

Just now, Arlong said:

Advanced radar is more balanced than a team only radar. It does it’s job of showing enemies but only when it’s most appropriate like shooting. 

why is shooting considered "appropriate"?

11 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

So I can know how many around me there are. It doesn’t prevent flanking, backsnscks etc. it still does the job no radar brings. Sometimes someone’s shooting but you might not know that it’s an enemy or teammate. 

8 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Shooting already reveals a player through audio and visual cues.  Do you think firing shouldn’t cause a player to appear on radar in gametypes that have radar enabled?  Halo has a significant amount of multi level structures.  Making players who shoot appear on radar can help players find each other within these multi level structures.  

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

So I can know how many around me there are. It doesn’t prevent flanking, backsnscks etc. it still does the job no radar brings. Sometimes someone’s shooting but you might not know that it’s an enemy or teammate. 

thanks for not answering my question

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Shooting already reveals a player through audio and visual cues.  Do you think firing shouldn’t cause a player to appear on radar in gametypes that have radar enabled?  Halo has a significant amount of multi level structures.  Making players who shoot appear on radar can help players find each other within these multi level structures.  

it's too hand-holdy. if you're capable of actively listening to sound you're also capable of keeping track of where your teammates' icons are.

4 hours ago, _Synapse said:

• Low aim smoothing. The aim consistently feels like garbage in games with high smoothing. 

i'm betting the new "radar" is based on the compass at the top of the screen like MW. I don't know if they'd go red when firing or always red when moving full speed like traditional. Otherwise we'd see them constantly on our compass.

personally I don't care cause I dont use radar but hopefully they have the classic radar

4 hours ago, _Synapse said:

You couldn't have picked two worse maps for that example from their respective games. Plaza I can almost understand for people with no communication but Heretic??

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

it's too hand-holdy. if you're capable of actively listening to sound you're also capable of keeping track of where your teammates' icons are.

Teammates don’t need to appear on radar at all.  I’m talking about enemies who fire.  

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Teammates don’t need to appear on radar at all.  I’m talking about enemies who fire.  

and I'm talking about your teammates' service tags, not radar.

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

Yes.  Dealing the damage that causes an enemy to go from alive to dead is killing them.  

Critical Assists isn’t a bad idea for a more in depth carnage report.  Maybe roll damage dealt and some other relevant stats into a “Battlefield Presence” stat.  

I'd like to see "Kills" mean killing a guy from full health without help, and "Last Hits" meaning you finished the kill with help. Something to denote the difference would be telling.
Don't dilute damage dealt with anything else. That stat is valuable enough on its own. Maybe another stat next to it could be "Damage Resulting in Kills", or damage the enemy didn't recover.

Too many stats can lead due a busy scoreboard which can leave casuals not caring. Maybe that's one of your goals is to not care so much about kills, idk.

But how are you going to show the scoreboard in-game? Right now it's very easy to see "kills" "deaths" "assists". If you add a "last hit" category now the scoreboard text is becoming smaller to read and becomes busier as well. I guess you could remove the kills category from the in-game scoreboard entirely but IMO that just sounds weird. Maybe that won't matter once we get used to it though, idk. But some people can be so sensitive that even changing that could irk them.

Also, radar for social, no radar for ranked.

7 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Also, radar for social, no radar for ranked.

I don’t think you get why I brought up the Advanced radar. Its better to use that since even competition could use it. Universal settings aren’t a bad thing. It’s also especially needed if 343 keeps sprint and what not. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

In 4v4 and below, radar as a base trait is disabled by default.  “Advanced Radar” is a limited duration power up that provides the user with a hud widget that displays the location of all proximate enemies, even stationary ones.  

In 6v6, radar as a base trait is enabled by default.  It detects the use of weapons or armor abilities and the presence of enemy vehicles.  Base movement does not cause a player to appear on radar.  

Splitting radar into two separate entities, a power up for arena gameplay and a base trait for vehicular gameplay, allows it to appropriately accent the different gametypes.  

Players traditionally remained off of radar by crouching but that was when running was the most advanced form of movement available.  With abilities like Sprint, Thrust, Evade, Jetpack, the paradigm has shifted, crouch is no longer a tool to avoid detection.  Crouch is a tool that spices up a strafe or a jump.  

Running is the new crouch walking and advanced movement is the new running that causes players to appear on radar.  

Radar should work like CSGO where people only show up if tagged by your teammates. Maybe show red dots for shooting your gun. Like Hex said, radar is the biggest "bruh it's always been this way" maybe in Halo's entire existance. Such a stupid crutch mechanic and it will always drive a massive wedge between default and competitive settings.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Basu said:

Radar should work like CSGO where people only show up if tagged by your teammates. Maybe show red dots for shooting your gun. Like Hex said, radar is the biggest "bruh it's always been this way" maybe in Halo's entire existance. Such a stupid crutch mechanic and it will always drive a massive wedge between default and competitive settings.

Which is why the advanced radar that shows enemies when using abilities(sprint, thrust etc) and even if halo infinite is a no sprint halo(unlikely) it should still exist, where it shows enemies only when shooting. Flanking still works, it’s positive for deaf people, crouch camping is less effective. With this we won’t have some arbitrary need for no radar since this does everything no radar is useful for. It makes it easier for people to go from playing competitive to social. Going from a mode that has radar to one without it, can be pretty game changing, your playstyle now has to change, and adjusting to that is quite annoying. Heck’s reach is the worse case in this scenario. Going from TU/radar DMR, to no bloom/no radar. Holy hell is this different. People would be a little mad at first, but in a new game they’d instantly accept the new radar. The reason competitive players hate radar in the first place is because it helps encourage passive play, but the advanced movement radar does not which is what I like most about it. 

this is another thing that that halo is trying to do that most successful competitive games do. Universal settings. League, CSGO, OW, cod, etc. Now in cods case you can’t use certain perks, weapons, etc but for the most part the gameplay and everything is the same. They basically took away claymores, and stuff and that was all. 

If radar exists, it needs to act in a consistent manner, otherwise it becomes confusing to general players at best and just frustrating at worse (Modern Warfare being a current incompetent example of this). We don't need multiple versions of radar plaguing the game, 343  is fucking dumb for not updating it across the board. Not that I want radar outside campaign and FFA, anyway.

Advanced radar is just a symptom of mobility mechanics being frustrating garbage, and can go right in the trash with the rest of those mechanics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

FFA

I don’t care for radar in an FFA.  I understand that it’s you against he world in FFA so I get why people like radar there but it never felt right to me.  FFA should have a certain hectic-ness to it where you are turning a corner and finding an enemy in your face, not having radar tip you off to his location first.  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

I don’t care for radar in an FFA.  I understand that it’s you against he world in FFA so I get why people like radar there but it never felt right to me.  FFA should have a certain hectic-ness to it where you are turning a corner and finding an enemy in your face, not having radar tip you off to his location first.  

I've played my fair share of no radar Ffa in Halo, and I find it plays better with radar for a couple of reasons. Being able to watch your own back and avoid being ganked every fight being the biggest. Radar gives players some control of that chaos in lieu of teammates. Chaos isn't necessarily bad, but giving players the ability to pick and choose their fights has far more nuisance than just throwing them into a grinder.

You'd have a somewhat stronger argument for no radar if players weren't gimped lethality wise, but since we're still in shallow teamshot meta Halo, radar is necessary for FFA's competitive health.