CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Honestly if Infinite is like every Halo since H2 and requires at least two guns on an enemy to do something and has three minute timers on anything worthwhile then yes let's just get rid of slayer. 

Of course I'd rather get faster TTKs, good maps and faster items but this is the company that just added Pit TS to the Reach circuit. 

• Like (+1) 1

In Invasion, a team of nine Prometheans has one “Alpha”, a player with more powerful abilities.  Instead of Hoverboard and Glider, basic movement enhancers, the Alpha’s armor ability is the “Artifact”.  It can activate up to three scripted events on the map (LB, RB, or LB+RB).  A waterfall could be dammed up, opening a new path.  A field of EMP mines could be activated, providing a new avenue of attack.  

Where LB and RB may be better suited to toggles like on/off, extend/retract, or open/close, LB+RB is tailored more towards “firing the superweapon”, something that once activated cannot be stopped until it completes its script, something big, like an orbital strike.  

Every player carries a pistol, regardless of species, regardless of rank.  Spartans carry the Magnum.  Elites carry the Plasma Pistol.  Brutes carry the Mauler and Prometheans carry the Boltshot.  Even when two other weapons are picked up, holding Y drops the equipped weapon and re equips the holstered pistol.  This is standard behavior for all players except the Brute Chieftain.  

The Chieftain’s “pistol” is the Gravity Hammer.  The Gravity Hammer is no longer a stand alone weapon, it is a property of the Brute Chieftain.  It has unlimited ammo.  It cannot be picked up by other players.  It is extremely powerful in close quarters.  Because this weapon is specifically designed for a gametype with asymmetric objectives, species, and player types within the same species, it does not need to be balanced like a traditional hand weapon.  

In Invasion, rank and file Brutes spawn with Gravity Boots (high jump) and Gravity Gauntlet (lunge) armor abilities.  The Brute Chieftain spawns with the “Headdress” armor ability.  RB pulls proximate pick ups to the user.  LB pushes live grenades and projectiles away from the user.  The ability to thwart incoming grenades means enemies must come face the hammer directly.  

In addition to the one Alpha, a team of nine Prometheans has two Omegas.  They have the Turret Control armor ability.  LB teleports the user to the Slider turret.  RB teleports the user to the Rover turret.  Holding LB+RB teleports between the two if the other is unoccupied.  Holding X exits the turret.  

The Slider travels left or right along rails using the bumpers.  The Rover teleports between up to three locations using the bumpers.  The triggers fire.  

In addition to the one Chieftain, a team of nine Brutes has two Captains.  They have the SAW armor ability.  The large spiked wheel kills whatever it rolls over.  LB deploys the weapon.  RB deploys the weapon in third person vehicle view (holding X returns to player view).  Once deployed, LB turns left, RB turns right, and LB+RB boost forward.  Flames shoot out the sides while boosting. 

6 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

You said that far more people prefer objective, which isn't true. Anything else?

No I didn’t, I said that “I” prefer objective. Overall objective is better for competitive play than simple team death match. Tryg reading a comment a different way will ya.

Thoughts on Oddball throwing? No auto pick-up and can still be dropped normally of course (grenade for throw and weapon swap for drop). Only realistic issue I could think of is cross-map playing, though I'd say in most situations it would be a pretty hard angle to pull off. Given it's an easy throw I'd guess the person would be close enough to toss it the old fashioned way regardless. Making long passes is admittedly really fun and adds an extra layer of teamwork IMO. My deduction so far is that it works well on interior maps, but can be questionable on outside/bridgework maps.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Thoughts on Oddball throwing? No auto pick-up and can still be dropped normally of course (grenade for throw and weapon swap for drop). Only realistic issue I could think of is cross-map playing, though I'd say in most situations it would be a pretty hard angle to pull off. Given it's an easy throw I'd guess the person would be close enough to toss it the old fashioned way regardless. Making long passes is admittedly really fun and adds an extra layer of teamwork IMO. My deduction so far is that it works well on interior maps, but can be questionable on outside/bridgework maps.

Idk. We’ve seen how it was abused in halo 4, and to a lesser extent h2a. I think it also makes it too easy to play the ball. 

39 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Idk. We’ve seen how it was abused in halo 4, and to a lesser extent h2a. I think it also makes it too easy to play the ball. 

Yeah imagine pushing the ball, kill everybody, then he just tosses it cross map to a spawning teammate.

• Like (+1) 1

So many things would have to align by chance to allow for something like that to occur. Sightlines, accurately throwing, respawn timing, spawn prediction, and time between the attacking team engaging the carrier. At that point I'd commend the carrier for such a play.

12 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

All for it, but only if this is the default Spartan model for Halo: Infinite: fox_sports_robot_a_l.jpg

BABABA BABABA POOOOOOOOOOW 

BABABA BABABA POOOOOOOOOOW

BABABA BABABA BAH BAH BAH BAH

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

So many things would have to align by chance to allow for something like that to occur. Sightlines, accurately throwing, respawn timing, spawn prediction, and time between the attacking team engaging the carrier. At that point I'd commend the carrier for such a play.

Did you even play h4 oddball? It’s not as complex as what you just said.

4 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Did you even play h4 oddball? It’s not as complex as what you just said.

I'm not talking about H4 Oddball. I'm talking about a hypothetical competitive environment in a decent Halo game. Even then, I was replying to a specific scenario that was given to me (and yes, these prerequisites would have to be in place, hence my entire point). Unless you can actually contribute to what I'm talking about please refrain from posting.

22 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I'm not talking about H4 Oddball. I'm talking about a hypothetical competitive environment in a decent Halo game. Even then, I was replying to a specific scenario that was given to me (and yes, these prerequisites would have to be in place, hence my entire point). Unless you can actually contribute to what I'm talking about please refrain from posting.

But the topic is throwing the ball. We’ve seen how it’s been done, and it wasn’t that well balanced. But if you want here goes.

i think the ball should only be throwable if a teammate is at a certain distance and you must be looking at them. 

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

I'm not meaning that you throw it at your spawning teammates feet, but anywhere the enemy isn't. If your team dies during the enemies push, throwing it cross map is most likely going to be closer to your team rather than the enemies. There is only a limited amount of maps that I would see this not working in over the course of Halo's competitive scene. Off the top of my head: Narrows, The Rig (depending on where you setup), Station 9, Chill Out. 

I guess you could severely limit the distance you can throw the ball, but then at that point whats the point of even implementing it?

I see it as an opportunity to look for and design maps for the mode more closely. Considering none of those examples traditionally play competitive Oddball, I think it's fair to be more open to testing the mechanic's possibilities. Active rotation Ball maps would probably work better compared to setup Ball maps, the former I'd argue is heaps more interesting anyway.

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

I see it as an opportunity to look for and design maps for the mode more closely. Considering none of those examples traditionally play competitive Oddball, I think it's fair to be more open to testing the mechanic's possibilities. Active rotation Ball maps would probably work better compared to setup Ball maps, the former I'd argue is heaps more interesting anyway.

How would you design the maps? Personally anyway you make the maps you'd either enable players to make cross map throws or you'd have the same campy gameplay oddball has always featured. I definitely could be wrong though, I'm no map designer. The maps I listed were the only maps that I could think of that didn't enable players to toss cross map either due to their extreme length like Narrows or a relatively closed map like the other 3.

Isn't the point of KOTH to be a rotational game mode. I feel like forcing this on oddball is unnecessary as we already have a well built mode around rotating around the map. If anything I'd like neutral assault to make a comeback before tweaking gamemodes that run relatively well even if a little uneventful at times.

I think it would be cool if the Ball had a timer on it like KoTH hills, or an amount of time that is "exhausted", causing the ball to respawn once it's held for a certain amount of time.

The timers for Ball spawns could then be synced to different weapon spawns/cycles to mix up strategy, and there could be multiple spawn locations on the map, causing strong/weak setups, at least for asym maps.

Throwing the ball is whack though, keep that out.

• Like (+1) 3

Throwing could be interesting if it's tuned right. But in the majority of cases it would probably be used as an "oh shit" mechanic where the carrier tosses it in a random direction before dying and the other team has to go retrieve it. Oddball is a pretty hectic gametype and losing out on 5-10 seconds of valuable ball time every time the carrier dies can get annoying.

Also speaking of objective modes, can we please get Warpath as a full gametype in Infinite? That shit is so fun.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

Ricochet can work on long, tug of war style maps when the difficulty between a throw in (20 points) and a run in (50 points) is properly balanced by the map’s design.  5-6 players per team is best.  The map doesn’t have to be interior and completely enclosed but there should be no spots where you can throw the objective off of or out of the map.  

If you wanted some form of “throwing” in Oddball, the map could have openings to pneumatic tubes in certain spots that allow the carrier to deposit the objective into the chute and have it pop out at some other, predetermined location (certain exposed sections of the tube can be destroyed to modify the path of a chuted objective).  This way, the map designer can control what “passes” can be made, like by reinforcing a weaker position with a chute for example.  

• Thonking (+0) 1

A sawn off shotgun deals low damage in a limited range but has a very wide area of effect.  The Gravity Bow’s alt fire is similar to a sawn off shotgun.  LT launches a large curved wave forward that kills in 3 hits (0.9 seconds) but disappears after traveling a short distance.  Impact causes objective carriers to drop the objective.  

RT charges then fires a medium-long range projectile that kills in 2 shots (0.6 seconds).  Impacted players and moveable objects are knocked back.  Impacted objective carriers drop the objective before being knocked back.  Light vehicles can be flipped and medium vehicles can be tipped over.  A quick charge up and no cooldown after firing cause the weapon to behave like an automatic weapon with a low rate of fire if the trigger is held down.  

A power weapon doesn’t need an instant killtime to be powerful.  A sawn off shotgun isn’t going to kill in one hit but it will damage everyone in the room when it goes off.  

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Frank O'Connor denied it so it has a 95% chance of being real.

Can't wait for E3 this year. Gonna be interesting.

I’d be perfectly fine with the grapple hook if it’s a pick up. Many things can easily be solved if they’re simply pick ups. Armor abilities/spartan abilities should be pick ups.