CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 hours ago, Basu said:

Working on the GoldPro mod, we quickly realized that it's really hard to get past 12 weapons without having overlaps and unnecessary fluff added. We currently have:

• Pistol: Utility
  • Assault Rifle: Secondary auto with lower DPS but easier to use

• Plasma Repeater: Stun rifle
  • Plasma Pistol: Shield stripper (plus movement via knockback)
  • DMR: Mid-range hitscan rifle

• Shotgun: Shotgun
  • Concussion: Crowd control
  • Sniper: Long-range
  • Grenade Launcher: Airburst explosive
  • Focus Rifle: Sentinel beam style time-on-target auto
  • Railgun/Laser: Charged shot

• Rockets: Uber explosive weapon

I don't really see what else can be added that is actually meaningful. Pretty much all the weapons added since H2 can be put into these categories and I'd say this list could be trimmed down even further. I've been toying around with a Shock Rifle prototype and it's now working as intended but I don't really see where it would fit in the sandbox.

Unreal Tournament’s Bio Rifle would be sick in Halo.

The DMR, conc rifle, and focus rifle could all be dropped without anyone shedding a tear. The tube isn't all that necessary either in terms of weapon roles, it's just fun to use and has a skill gap.

21 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The DMR, conc rifle, and focus rifle could all be dropped without anyone shedding a tear.

Wrong.

Except for DMR, but still.

1 minute ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Wrong.

Except for DMR, but still.

Not even the waypoint kids care about the conc and focus rifle.

I agree about DMR and Concussion not being super necessary. Focus with air knockback and beefed up damage is actually a really good weapon. 

@Hard WayI'll take a look at it. 

30 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

How could you Basu.

Lol. As I said the DMR works suprisingly well but it's not a super important part of the sandbox. The Concussion is cool for trick jumps and pushing people off a ledge and shit but it's really more of a gimmick usually. Might work better in 4v4 obj gametypes tho who knows.

14 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Halo isn't Quake.

Basically this. It's good to take inspiration from other games when applicable, but turning a game into an emulator of anoerh game.. is just stupid. It's also why the mod isn't a straight CE clone.

2 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo isnt even an arena shooter.

But people treat it as such, it looks like such. Heck’s it’s fucking recognized as one. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Putting gameplay aside, after Halo Wars 2's art style comeback I'm excited to see how Infinite looks. A nice return to when the series was at the forefront of gaming will be awesome. Not Megabloks friendly white curved architecture Elites are dumb brutes and dumb brutes are removed Halo 4/5 nonsense.

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Putting gameplay aside, after Halo Wars 2's art style comeback I'm excited to see how Infinite looks. A nice return to when the series was at the forefront of gaming will be awesome. Not Megabloks friendly white curved architecture Elites are dumb brutes and dumb brutes are removed Halo 4/5 nonsense.

HCE Elites or bust. Would rather have no playable elites in MP than have the hunchbacks of Sanghelios that we saw in Halo 2, 3, and Reach. 

Seriously, CE elites are the only ones that really have an intimidating posture. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

HCE Elites or bust. Would rather have no playable elites in MP than have the hunchbacks of Sanghelios that we saw in Halo 2, 3, and Reach. 

Seriously, CE elites are the only ones that really have an intimidating posture. 

I like Halo 2's the most.

c5p38zosli921.jpg

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

But people treat it as such, it looks like such. Heck’s it’s fucking recognized as one. 

All of which are incorrect. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

All of which are incorrect. 

And yet you’d be the one to prove them wrong? If halo isn’t an arena game then what is it? It’s own thing? Well that thing sucks.

Just now, Arlong said:

And yet you’d be the one to prove them wrong? If halo isn’t an arena game then what is it? It’s own thing? Well that thing sucks.

What are you even saying?

26 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

What are you even saying?

I’m saying that if halo is its own genre then it just sucks on its own. The game promotes one playstyle and tbh I think that’s what’s been hurting halo as of late.

4 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I would say the Reach models were pretty close to CE's. Elites weren't hunched over and were easily twice the Spartan model sizes. Still maintained a level of intimidation and elegance. 4 and 5 models were a significant step back into brutish territory.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

I would say the Reach models were pretty close to CE's. Elites weren't hunched over and were easily twice the Spartan model sizes. Still maintained a level of intimidation and elegance. 4 and 5 models were a significant step back into brutish territory.

I did not like the animations on Reach. Not talking about the "duck 'n' dodge" move, which I loved, but just the general moving around looked stiff. 

Might have to play in 4k60 though (haven't played since relaunch) to appreciate them better though.

The items a player possesses should be announced by his player model.  A power up that 1) turns the user’s player model into an Elite and 2) gives that Elite a fixed set of weapons and armor abilities, acts in accordance with this rule.  

Player model:  Elite 

Pistol:  Plasma Pistol 

Primary:  Plasma Repeater 

Secondary:  Plasma Detonator 

Armor Ability 1:  Evade 

Armor Ability 2:  Speedboost 

Grenades:  Plasma x4 

Melee weapon:  Energy Gauntlet (Sword) 

Transformer:  Camo (crouch to activate) 

Aerial Enhancement:  Repulse Belt (Wall Kick) 

Helmet:  Yes (immune to first shieldless headshot) 

• Downvote (-1) 1

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

The items a player possesses should be announced by his player model.  A power up that 1) turns the user’s player model into an Elite and 2) gives that Elite a fixed set of weapons and armor abilities, acts in accordance with this rule.  

Player model:  Elite 

Pistol:  Plasma Pistol 

Primary:  Plasma Repeater 

Secondary:  Plasma Detonator 

Armor Ability 1:  Evade 

Armor Ability 2:  Speedboost 

Grenades:  Plasma x4 

Melee weapon:  Energy Gauntlet (Sword) 

Transformer:  Camo (crouch to activate) 

Aerial Enhancement:  Repulse Belt (Wall Kick) 

Helmet:  Yes (immune to first shieldless headshot) 

Dumb

11 hours ago, Arlong said:

I’m saying that if halo is its own genre then it just sucks on its own. The game promotes one playstyle and tbh I think that’s what’s been hurting halo as of late.

The only reason people mention arena shooter and Halo together is because Halo CE took some elements from arena shooters and dumbed and slowed them down. After that its all marketing. Halo post 2004 has nothing to do with arena shooters

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

The only reason people mention arena shooter and Halo together is because Halo CE took some elements from arena shooters and dumbed and slowed them down. After that its all marketing. Halo post 2004 has nothing to do with arena shooters

Halo CE has a slower movement speed, two weapon limit, slower killtimes and spawns the player with a jack of all trades gun (a type of gun not found in arena shooters of the time at all) instead of a worthless one designed to be dumped quickly. It is its own freakazoid shooter.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo spawns the player with a jack of all trades gun (a type of gun not found in arena shooters of the time at all) instead of a worthless one designed to be dumped quickly. It is its own freakazoid shooter.

That’s why niche weapons are so important for Halo.  Because you spawn with a capable utility weapon, other weapons need to have a niche where they do some thing really good.  Otherwise, you just have the utility and power weapons.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1