CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Basu said:

How does RT detonate it? You can't have more than one grenade out unless you charge it?

Yeah, only one primary fire grenade out at a time.  RT instantly fires a single grenade.  RT again instantly detonates it.  

LT charges up to four stickies that automatically detonate a short time after impact.  Unlike the instantaneous nature of primary fire, alt fire has a wait before and after firing (charge and fuse).  

23 minutes ago, Basu said:

I hate homing weapons with a passion. Make it a guided missile and we're talking.

The fire and forget nature of homing projectiles is tempting because a player can be getting other kills while his projectiles are in flight, also on their way to kill.  Laser guided would require more skill and forethought though.  

How about continuing to hold LT after a full charge activates a laser and fires the projectiles at a higher speed?

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The fire and forget nature of homing projectiles is tempting because a player can be getting other kills while his projectiles are in flight, also on their way to kill.  Laser guided would require more skill and forethought thought.  

I’m not against homing weapons since in h5s case they were pretty balanced. That one weapon you had to scope in on them and even then if you thrustered you could dodge them.

33 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The fire and forget nature of homing projectiles is tempting because a player can be getting other kills while his projectiles are in flight, also on their way to kill.  Laser guided would require more skill and forethought though.  

How about continuing to hold LT after a full charge activates a laser and fires the projectiles at a higher speed?

Maybe. I'm just gonna say a plasma grenade launcher where you can instantly airburst the plasmas sounds hilariously OP. It's a rocket launcher plus the GL's airburst.

30 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I’m not against homing weapons since in h5s case they were pretty balanced. That one weapon you had to scope in on them and even then if you thrustered you could dodge them.

Aside from the Hydra you mentioned (I guess this is the weapon you meant?) the homing weapons in H5are a complete joke. At least with the Hydra you can descope the guy, but all the others are an instant death sentence unless you have Thrust available. Which is just more evidence that thrust breaks the sandbox. Oh, you just completely deleted someone in a 1v1 using thrust and want to fight his teammate? Too bad, your thrust is on cooldown and now your rock meets his paper and you get outclassed because he has a homing weapon. Better luck next time.

The Needler in H3/R/4 was kind of acceptable because you had to land a good amount of shots to supercombine plus the homing could be avoided with a well-time strafe. In H5 its tracking is off the charts plus it now has ADS (lol). Same goes for the plasma pistol.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Basu said:

Maybe. I'm just gonna say a plasma grenade launcher where you can instantly airburst the plasmas sounds hilariously OP. It's a rocket launcher plus the GL's airburst.

Aside from the Hydra you mentioned (I guess this is the weapon you meant?) the homing weapons in H5are a complete joke. At least with the Hydra you can descope the guy, but all the others are an instant death sentence unless you have Thrust available. Which is just more evidence that thrust breaks the sandbox. Oh, you just completely deleted someone in a 1v1 using thrust and want to fight his teammate? Too bad, your thrust is on cooldown and now your rock meets his paper and you get outclassed because he has a homing weapon. Better luck next time.

The Needler in H3/R/4 was kind of acceptable because you had to land a good amount of shots to supercombine plus the homing could be avoided with a well-time strafe. In H5 its tracking is off the charts plus it now has ADS (lol). Same goes for the plasma pistol.

The plasma pistol needs the homing to be effective otherwise it’s useless, remember halo 4? Gosh that PP had no homing on Spartans so it was so hard to hit someone.  In the other games simply jumping to the side could make the needler miss, and it’s one of those guns that without homing would also be useless. Hydra could also be dodged if you got into cover in time. 

39 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The plasma pistol needs the homing to be effective otherwise it’s useless, remember halo 4? Gosh that PP had no homing on Spartans so it was so hard to hit someone.  In the other games simply jumping to the side could make the needler miss, and it’s one of those guns that without homing would also be useless. Hydra could also be dodged if you got into cover in time. 

Yes it needs tracking, but H5 turned it into a fucking joke. Reach's PP was fine for example, there was no need to first nerf it to shoehorn it into loadouts and then buff it to the sky and back to shoehorn it into "advanced" mobility Halo.

The needler has always been a joke weapon that doesn't fit properly into the sandbox but at least the H3 and Reach versions got it mostly right. A prime example of a weapon that should only be in campaign.

15 minutes ago, Basu said:

needler

RT automatically fires projectiles that home in on an enemy if fired during red reticle.  LT semi automatically fires a projectile that acts as a homing beacon for primary fire projectiles, allowing them to home in without red reticle.  After being struck by an alt fire projectile, a player is not even safe behind cover because primary fire projectiles can be curved around it.  

wx7hHMa_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I've always thought that 343's fuckup with H4 means we'll likely never resolve the whole weapon diversity/redundant weapon issue that has plagued the franchise since H2. Obviously a loadout-based system sucks (for Halo) when it leads to unequal starts, but it seems like custom classes would allow you to satisfy all parties if you set up the system in a way where your weapon options are just reskinned versions of each other.

Imagine your loadout options include a primary utility weapon and a secondary automatic, but each utility weapon and each automatic functions exactly like every other option in the category. The BR might sound like it's a three-round burst, but it functions exactly like a DMR or Carbine or Light Rifle that kills in the same number of "shots" and has the exact same TTK. The SMG might sound and feel like it fires way faster than an AR, but it's all just sound and visuals and not functionally different. I'm sure there could be a way to program the game so that the ammo for all these weapons is interchangeable as well.  It would scratch the "fun colors and fun sounds" itch for casual players without compromising the balance of starts or forcing people to play shitty AR start settings.

Sure, it would be super deceptive, but I doubt any casual players would look closely enough into the game mechanics to be that upset about it, and any competitive players would like the fact that it renders the starting weapons exactly the same.

• WutFace (+0) 1

5 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Imagine your loadout options include a primary utility weapon and a secondary automatic, but each utility weapon and each automatic functions exactly like every other option in the category.

photo.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

You could obviously still turn off automatic sidearms for competitive settings, I'm more concerned about solving the issue people have with wanting "weapon diversity". You could do that without compromising balance if the choice literally comes down to "I like the sound of the BR better" since the BR would literally just be a DMR/Light Rifle/Carbine/whatever other crazy utility weapons 343 wants to add, but with different noises and visuals.

Loadouts are the best thing to ever happen to social Halo. Fixed the age old Bungie issue of AR starts. Bring it back. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

Just now, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I'm more concerned about solving the issue people have with wanting "weapon diversity".  

Just so I’m understanding you correctly, you heard people wanted more diverse weapons and your solution was to make all weapons exactly the same?

3 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Loadouts are the best thing to ever happen to social Halo. Fixed the age old Bungie issue of AR starts. Bring it back. 

I know you’re not this dumb.  Why not post in good faith?  

• WutFace (+0) 1

Just now, Boyo said:

Just so I’m understanding you correctly, you heard people wanted more diverse weapons and your solution was to make all weapons exactly the same?

You put it in the loadouts so it becomes a personal preference on what option you want to start with. Would not apply to power weapons/niche weapons. I think it would actually make things easier to balance since 343 wouldn't need to worry so much about riddling the map with a million weapons and could focus on balancing a select few.

1 minute ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

You put it in the loadouts so it becomes a personal preference on what option you want to start with.

But there is no real option if all the weapons are the same so why give the choice at all?  It sounds like weapon skins would fulfill your wishes.  

13 minutes ago, Boyo said:

But there is no real option if all the weapons are the same so why give the choice at all?  It sounds like weapon skins would fulfill your wishes.  

That is basically what it would be, but the "skins" are just different weapons. Don't underestimate how much casual players like the concept of using different weapons. We might see "weapon diversity" as having different weapons that are useful in different situations, but casual players literally just see it as seeing a different model and hearing different sounds.

Redundancy in weapons is really only an "issue" in my mind if it's used to clutter the map with weapons that no one is ever going to pick up. You make two classes of weapons (utilities and automatics) that are available at start and have a bunch of redundant options and you allow players to "switch things up" without actually switching things up and it allows to you both (i) balance starts and (ii) remove clutter from the maps.

4 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Redundancy in weapons is really only an "issue" in my mind if it's used to clutter the map with weapons that no one is ever going to pick up.

Any player can pick up ammo from any corpse when all players use the same utility weapon.  Allowing players to choose functional clones only serves to drain players of their utility ammo faster.  

Just now, Boyo said:

Any player can pick up ammo from any corpse when all players use the same utility weapon.  Allowing players to choose functional clones only serves to drain players of their utility ammo faster.  

That's why I said you could program it in a way that those classes of weapons can use the same ammo.

@Cursed Lemon

I don't know if you remember this, but I remember a suggestion you gave about how a utility weapon could function; that the weapon could be changed to have more or less bullets needed to kill someone, but it's rate of fire, aim assist, and magazine would change in order for it to stay in the same kill time and lethality. Knowing what you know now, do you consider this a good idea?

35 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Loadouts are the best thing to ever happen to social Halo.

ObFnbQh.png

No. I don't think it was.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 minute ago, S0UL FLAME said:

ObFnbQh.png

No. I don't think it was.

Well you could spawn with a weapon that shot straight so therefore it was the best. 

Thank you for coming to my alternative facts TED talk

• Simms (+1) 2

Grouping up weapons and balancing the groups makes much more sense than trying to find a niche for 30+ weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

Because Arena gametypes do not spawn players with armor abilities, there are two free buttons on the controller.  The Curve Ball power up makes use of these, giving the user three new grenade trajectories and regenerating grenades.  

LB throws a grenade the begins flying left and curves around to the right.  RB throws a grenade that begins flying right and curves around to the left.  LB+RB launches a grenade upward that curves back down to the ground.  

12 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

@Cursed Lemon

I don't know if you remember this, but I remember a suggestion you gave about how a utility weapon could function; that the weapon could be changed to have more or less bullets needed to kill someone, but it's rate of fire, aim assist, and magazine would change in order for it to stay in the same kill time and lethality. Knowing what you know now, do you consider this a good idea?

Every suggestion like that needs its own specially-catered environment in order to function properly. Halo is probably not it, because Halo is salted soil where nothing grows. :mj:

On 1/17/2020 at 7:40 AM, _Synapse said:

What do you guys think was the sweet spot as far as jump height and player physics go? 

I think Halo 2 was the gold standard.

Halo 2 has the best movement by far imo.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Grouping up weapons and balancing the groups makes much more sense than trying to find a niche for 30+ weapons.

Yeah but if we make all 30 weapons weapons the same then anyone can use anyone weapon. Idiot.