Halo Infinite Discussion

On 1/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, Boyo said:

Artist’s rendition: 

JyvONLP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

How very... phallic.

7 hours ago, The Tyco said:

How very... phallic.

Su4ixFd.gif?noredirect

I think I might be leaning more towards something like this for the “Chariot” (blue panels are shields).  

NTkOaZp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The Chariot tows a hovering Stinger turret behind it.  The driver accelerates with LT and activates Quantum Tunnel with RT.  The gunner fires his hand weapon while standing.  Crouching toggles into turret view and detaches the Stinger from the Chariot, creating two independent vehicles.  

What do you guys think was the sweet spot as far as jump height and player physics go? 

I think Halo 2 was the gold standard. Even with the forgiving BR, I've seen some absolutely baffling strafes. It appeared as if the player was moving at thrice the usual speed. I really don't understand why they returned from Halo 2's ultra crisp player acceleration/deceleration curves to Halo 3/CE's sluggish player movement.

Melee lunge was good in Halo 2, where it wasn't reliable to land one at all times, any time, and could be avoided. 

Jump height and player gravity was also best in Halo 2. The amount of height you can cover with a simple crouch-jump in Halo 2 is a lot. The gravity was still floaty, but not to the extent which made jumping feel like an effort. 

Seriously, for all the downgrades in back-end  design from Halo CE (Spawns in 2v2, Static Respawn Timers, significant removal of weapon nading), Halo 2's movement is addicting. If you had to have a melee-only gamemode, it would work best in Halo 2. 

The only real thing that I would have changed was a slightly lower crouching model, to give crouch some more utility.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Redefining Close Quarters Combat 

The Shotgun is the only real CQC power weapon (the Tractor Beam can launch crates to splatter enemies and the Mauler can fire-melee for the kill).  The Energy Sword and Gravity Hammer have been removed and replaced with “Melee Weapons”.  

Picking up a Melee Weapon enhances the standard melee attack for a limited number of strikes.  The Energy Gauntlet (Sword) lunges.  The Gravity Fist knocks back.  The Lightblade begins shield recharge.  

The Shotgun fires a center slug surround by two rings of pellets.  The slug alone is a 4 shot kill (1.5 seconds) and it is accurate to long range.  The spread of the outer ring stays tight till close range.  The spread of the inner ring stays tight until medium range.  An accurate slug and a tighter spread increase the Shotgun’s effective range but its short red reticle range leaves it up to the user to land ranged shots.  

The Boltshot can charge then fire a single bolt that kills with a headshot.  

The Conduit is a grenade type that, instead of being thrown, fires a short range beam that vampires an enemy’s shields.  

And, as always, when in doubt, panic Sticky. 

the shotgun could certainly be made more skilled i like the idea of a slug so its not poo past 2 feet. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Redefining Close Quarters Combat 

The Shotgun is the only real CQC power weapon (the Tractor Beam can launch crates to splatter enemies and the Mauler can fire-melee for the kill).  The Energy Sword and Gravity Hammer have been removed and replaced with “Melee Weapons”.  

Picking up a Melee Weapon enhances the standard melee attack for a limited number of strikes.  The Energy Gauntlet (Sword) lunges.  The Gravity Fist knocks back.  The Lightblade begins shield recharge.  

The Shotgun fires a center slug surround by two rings of pellets.  The slug alone is a 4 shot kill (1.5 seconds) and it is accurate to long range.  The spread of the outer ring stays tight till close range.  The spread of the inner ring stays tight until medium range.  An accurate slug and a tighter spread increase the Shotgun’s effective range but its short red reticle range leaves it up to the user to land ranged shots.  

The Boltshot can charge then fire a single bolt that kills with a headshot.  

The Conduit is a grenade type that, instead of being thrown, fires a short range beam that vampires an enemy’s shields.  

And, as always, when in doubt, panic Sticky. 

This actually sounds damn solid aside from the lightblade. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Basu said:

This actually sounds damn solid aside from the lightblade. 

You know I mean that when the user strikes an enemy, the user’s shields begin recharging.  You think that’s too OP?  

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You know I mean that when the user strikes an enemy, the user’s shields begin recharging.  You think that’s too OP?  

Ok I thought it works like a regen/syringe that makes your shields recharge. That's actually kinda cool. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Top 10 games of this generation (objectively):

1. Witcher 3
  2. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
  3. Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
  4. That Gwent minigame in Witcher 3
  5. The ads for Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Minecraft
  7. Cuphead
  8. Shovel Knight
  9. Dark Souls Remastered if it was a good remaster
  10. Skyrim Switch edition
  • WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, SpitFlame said:

Top 10 games of this generation (objectively):

1. Witcher 3
  2. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
  3. Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
  4. That Gwent minigame in Witcher 3
  5. The ads for Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Minecraft
  7. Cuphead
  8. Shovel Knight
  9. Dark Souls Remastered if it was a good remaster
  10. Skyrim fridge edition

Ftfy

What do you think about this radar like HUD widget built specifically for Warlock?  

The “Simon” widget is comprised of four colored quadrants of a circle: red, blue, green, and yellow.  On a map like Warlock, a glowing quadrant on the HUD widget indicates that the corresponding quadrant of the map is occupied by at least one enemy. 

Doubt you’ll get much push back for calling the Witcher 3 the best game this gen. Game is incredible, I’ve been playing it for three years straight.  

Meanwhile in halo land, it’s been 5 years and we still don’t have a clue of what type of game we’re getting this fall. I think it’s fair to say that the advanced movement trend is completely dead and hero shooters has been dominated by overwatch. Honestly I think a h5 v2 after all this time will make 343 look incompetent. 

1 hour ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Doubt you’ll get much push back for calling the Witcher 3 the best game this gen. Game is incredible, I’ve been playing it for three years straight.  

Meanwhile in halo land, it’s been 5 years and we still don’t have a clue of what type of game we’re getting this fall. I think it’s fair to say that the advanced movement trend is completely dead and hero shooters has been dominated by overwatch. Honestly I think a h5 v2 after all this time will make 343 look incompetent. 

Honestly red dead 2 or God of war are higher for me.

People here have criticized H5’s sandbox for being too large and thus creating redundant weapons, but I honestly don’t mind that too much. What is more important for HI’s sandbox is a utility weapon with a fast perfect ttk and a slow average ttk. (Maybe something like 0.7 sec to 1.4 sec) This is pretty easy to pull off, and I’m not sure why they don’t do it other than fear of making the game too hard.

I doubt they’d make the gap that large, but something close to it would be a step in the right direction. Like shit, CS:GO’s average ttk is something like 4 times longer than its perfect ttk. That game’s skill gap is insane.

• Like (+1) 3

The Sniper Rifle is outfitted with a “Scope Camera” that displays the contents of the reticle under 8x zoom.  This circular video feed is displayed where the Radar is typically located. 

6 hours ago, SpitFlame said:

People here have criticized H5’s sandbox for being too large and thus creating redundant weapons, but I honestly don’t mind that too much. What is more important for HI’s sandbox is a utility weapon with a fast perfect ttk and a slow average ttk. (Maybe something like 0.7 sec to 1.4 sec) This is pretty easy to pull off, and I’m not sure why they don’t do it other than fear of making the game too hard.

I doubt they’d make the gap that large, but something close to it would be a step in the right direction. Like shit, CS:GO’s average ttk is something like 4 times longer than its perfect ttk. That game’s skill gap is insane.

Both are important, both are easy to solve, which is why it's so frustrating to watch the developers do nothing but clone Halo 2 and pile garbage on top.

Like it's really, really not hard to come up with a sandbox that isn't just generic weapon archetypes  + alien themed clones of those archetypes that are stronger or weaker.  They just don't even try, because of apathy from competitive gamers that are fine with it being precision centric and casual gamers that don't give a shit about anything related to the actual core game anyways.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Isn't it funny that only game that had a dedicated Spartan vs Elite mode also has some of the worst covenant vs human sandbox balance? Invasion in H2, 3,4 or  even 5 would be so much more enjoyable. I appreciate that the Focus and Plasma Launcher aren't just copy pastes of rockets and sniper but god damn are they fucking useless. The plasma repeater is also one of the worst guns I've ever seen in a video game especially as a starting weapon.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Basu said:

Plasma Launcher 

What do you think about rolling the Sticky Detonator into the Plasma Launcher, seeing as how plasma grenades are already sticky and already detonate?  

RT fires a remotely detonated plasma grenade.  RT again detonates it.  LT charges then fires up to four homing plasma grenades.  Primary fire for quick precision strikes.  Alt fire for delayed power attack. 

I’m just hoping for a sandbox similar to halo 5. I’d like all guns to be projectile based, and would like it if the BR was the starting weapon. Having semi clones of weapons isn’t a bad thing. Many games offer variety like this because people overall enjoy it. People liked the h5 sandbox as that’s one of the only things I’d see people praise it for. Yes most weapons were clones but that’s not a bad thing. Doesn’t mean we can’t have niche weapons still. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

The Sector Detector is a circular hud element, similar to radar.  It is comprised of five colored sections:  a four slice outer ring and a central circle.  A glowing color on the HUD signifies that there is at least one enemy in the corresponding section of the map.  

4 way symmetric and 2 base 2 tower maps would work best with this system but it could be applied to any five sections of a map.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtIwiSDyQYHzLQPfEUmoX

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about rolling the Sticky Detonator into the Plasma Launcher, seeing as how plasma grenades are already sticky and already detonate?  

RT fires a remotely detonated plasma grenade.  RT again detonates it.  LT charges then fires up to four homing plasma grenades.  Primary fire for quick precision strikes.  Alt fire for delayed power attack. 

How does RT detonate it? You can't have more than one grenade out unless you charge it?

I hate homing weapons with a passion. Make it a guided missile and we're talking.

Sometimes I like the idea of picking up a weapon and it being closely effective as my utility. But you can’t simply use a gun skin to make this a BR or DMR, it’s not that simple since If the starting gun is the h5 pistol(again) then the dmr still has that use for being a long range weapon, and the BR, welll I can’t think of anything for this one. The carbine has a faster rate of fire which normally could be advantageous, the LR is 3 shots to the head(scoped) and 4 everything else, so it’s worth grabbing. All in all these weapons aren’t too different but that isn’t wrong. Offering variety that doesn’t produce a major impact like power weapons isn’t awful. Just giving any reason to pick this weapon up and know they’re not wrong for it is good enough to keep people happy.