CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 12/29/2019 at 4:26 AM, Ramirez77 said:

DooM doesnt center around headshots or pinpoint precision weapons.  Its major weapons (Shotguns, Automatics, manually detonated rockets) all have wide area of effect, while the few precision guns it has go largely unused.

Dude, Burst Rifle was my shit. Such an underrated weapon. You hardly see anyone use it, but I destroyed with it. Easily my most comfortable gun in the game.

I'm sorry, I just now realized I was 5 pages behind. Oops.

The three biggest changes Halo needs to make are:  

1.  Turn the Scope button into an Alternate Fire button on weapons without scopes 

2.  Replace default advanced movement abilities with two generic Armor Ability buttons 

3.  Modify the button layout to reflect that 

With the scope button doubling as an alternate fire button, it makes sense to map Fire to RT and Scope/Alt Fire to LT.  Many players are already comfortable with this layout from other popular shooters.  

With two armor abilities, it makes sense to put them on a set of buttons, like the bumpers.  Players have finger access to both weapon operating buttons and both movement enhancing buttons this way.  

What about arena gametypes without armor abilities?  Bumper Jumper swaps the bumpers with A and B so that Jump and Throw Grenade are on the bumpers.  The only face buttons used would be X to reload and Y to switch weapons.  

L3 crouches.  R3 melees.  The only problem with mapping scope to LT is that double zooming, like with a sniper rifle, is not fluid.  So, if you’re scoped in with a sniper, R3 now activates the second level zoom instead of meleeing.  

In a gametype like Team Snipers, where scoped melee could be useful, Boxer swaps R3 with RB.  Now you’re unable to throw grenades while scoped in with a sniper but that’s not an issue in a gametype with no grenades.  

The D pad are all “cycle” buttons.  Up cycles through available grenade types.  Down cycles through available jump modifiers.  Left cycles through available crouch modifiers.  Right cycles through available melee modifiers.  

In addition, Down, Left, and Right can also cause items to materialize in certain scenarios, overriding the buttons’ original functions.  Instead of an on map pick up being limited to a single, fixed item, a “Materialization Post” could allow the player to select between three unique items.  A selected weapon appears in the player’s hands, as if he just picked it up.  A selected vehicle quickly materializes around the player, putting him in the driver’s seat.  A selected power up is immediately activated.  

Furthermore, with the framework set up to give players items through Materialization, it could be activated in various different ways.  Killstreaks would be possible.  Capping an objective could allow the player to select a reward.  This gives more flexibility to gametype designers and allows more unique gametypes to be created.  Similar to having two generic armor ability buttons, that allow gametypes to have no armor abilities or many armor abilities, a Materialization system could be used in many different ways or not at all.  

Building off that, jump, crouch, and melee modifiers can also be used in many ways or not at all.  In a gametype where they are not assisgned as base traits or placed as pick ups, Down, Left, and Right would go mostly unused (completely unused if the gametype did not feature Materialization either, like classic gametypes).  

Jetpack is a jump modifier, activated by holding Jump while airborne.  Down toggles it on or off (though there is no real reason to turn it off since it does not impede the standard jump function).  If the player has multiple jump modifiers, Down cycles through them, with the final option being to disable them entirely.  The other modifiers function the same way.  

Energy Gauntlet, a left handed energy sword activated with the Melee button, is an upgrade to your melee so there is no real need to deactivate it either but you can.  If the player has multiple melee modifiers, Right cycles through them, with the final option being “off”.  

Crouch modifiers replace the crouch function entirely, while the player is on the ground (crouch jumps are still possible).  “Sphere” is a crouch modifier that turns the user’s player model into a small, rollable ball that cannot attack so if simultaneously crouch walking and firing is something you need to do then you can deactivate it.  And, like the other modifiers, if the player has multiple crouch modifiers, Left cycles through them or disables them.  

BUTTON LAYOUT 

RT - Fire

LT - Scope, Alternate Fire

RB - Armor Ability 1 

LB - Armor Ability 2 

A - Jump 

B - Throw grenade 

X - Reload 

Y - Switch weapons 

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Melee 

Bumper Jumper 

RT - Fire

RB - Throw grenade 

LB - Jump 

A - Armor Ability 1 

B - Armor Ability 2 

X - Reload 

Y - Switch weapons 

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Melee 

Boxer 

RT - Fire

RB - Melee 

LB - Jump 

A - Armor Ability 1 

B - Armor Ability 2 

X - Reload 

Y - Switch weapons 

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Throw grenade 

Up - Cycle grenade types 

Down - Cycle jump modifier (Materialize 1) 

Left - Cycle crouch modifier (Materialize 2) 

Right - Cycle melee modifier (Materialize 3) 

Honestly should just have button mapping at this point. Xbox lets you set up profiles, but games need them specifically as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

eggmobile

A two man ground vehicle with a detachable, hovering turret is still a unique and useful tool, imo.  

4 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Rhonda

?

On 1/7/2020 at 4:43 PM, _Synapse said:

From 2 to 5, maybe. CE had the best campaign of any FPS. It's staggering how well the gameplay flows in CE. It beats out 99% of games, period. Unless you wrongly think that plot > gameplay

Seriously? Even from a gameplay standpoint, you think CE’s campaign is better than freaking Half Life, BioShock, or the original Crysis?

I mean, you’re entitled to your opinion, however objectionable it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SpitFlame said:

Seriously? Even from a gameplay standpoint, you think CE’s campaign is better than freaking Half Life, BioShock, or the original Crysis?

He did say 99% and there is a lot of shooters out there. Definitely room for Half Life and Bioshock to rank above it. Never played Crysis, no idea how it plays.

Halo 1 is the best.
Half Life 2, Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Call of Duty (all of em), Medal of Honor and Bioshock Trilogy ain't got shit. Alien Isolation and Resident Evil 7 do come close though! 

Long live the KING! 
Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC-Release-Date.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Bioshocks story is great but I wouldn't rank it over ce. Half life 2 is certainly the best shooter campaign though. 

7 hours ago, SpitFlame said:

Yes...?

I'm not really a fan of Bioshock, and believe me I found you putting it over Ce just as objectionable.  Combat too slow, enemies too tanky, ammo too scarce.  I can comprehend why people like it, it's a very good survival-ish sort of game with amazing atmosphere and better than average story, but I don't get all the ZOMG BEST CAMPAIGN EVAR because it's really not..particularly if you're more a fan of traditional frenetic shooters instead.

Half-Life 1 is extremely rough around the edges and isn't even best game of it's era...not to say it's bad but no, there's no way in hell it's better than Ce under any kind of objective lens.  Half Life 2 is a good game and I really should get around to replaying it, though it's also heavily linear in comparison and has less depth to enemy encounters.  One thing that sets Halo apart from most other games is you don't just approach every single enemy with the mindset of "shoot it until it dies", enemies have very unique relationships with the various guns.  Bioshock largely has this too but everything else about the game is a drag anyways.

Never played Crysis.

Though I'll say I don't feel the need to defend the second half of Ce's campaign either.  I feel like the rehash argument only truly applies to Two Betrayals, but beyond that it's just so mediocre in comparison to the first half anyways it's not even worth my energy to object to the rehash complaints.

• Like (+1) 3

So instead of a double jump why not a drop button which ends your jump prematurely and pulls you down. This can also be used to get  cool slide jumps. 

sounds like advanced movement to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Riddler said:

So instead of a double jump why not a drop button which ends your jump prematurely and pulls you down. This can also be used to get  cool slide jumps. 

sounds like advanced movement to me. 

Doesn’t seem like the best use of controller real estate to dedicate a button to such a niche feature.  

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Doesn’t seem like the best use of controller real estate to dedicate a button to such a niche feature.  

You literally just press a again. We also have a million free buttons from getting rid of sprint and thrust. Its also not niche since it will be used every gun battle like how thrust is now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Riddler said:

You literally just press a again. We also have a million free buttons from getting rid of sprint and thrust

What would you do with those million free buttons?

6 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Its also not niche since it will be used every gun battle like how thrust is now. 

Doesn’t gandhi hopping serve a similar function already, a vertical strafe?  Shouldn’t players be committed to the jump and not just able to cancel it at will?

I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't instant. If there was a brief tell on the player model before it happened, I could get behind it. Part of what I hate about fighting against thrust is how it comes out of nowhere (and how it breaks red reticle even if they don't leave your crosshair, which is bullshit). If a quickfall had some sort of telegraph, and it didn't break red reticle for no fucking reason, I'm all about it.

It'd also need more fall damage than normal, otherwise there'd be no downside to just always using it.

Quick fall shouldn’t be something activated by a button press but rather an inherent property of jumping with a detached HMG turret or something of that nature.  

Something good players will use tactically dozens of times a game and will greatly effect the meta

vs

Something a guest will use on accident once every three games

• Like (+1) 1

How much faster should quick fall be than regular gravity?  Double, triple, should you just teleport back to the ground?  Halo has a relatively high jump but it’s still such a small distance that the speed increase would have to be so significant that you would essentially be thrusting downward for it to have any noticeable effect.  Is that what you want, downward thrust?

Me personally, no. I'd be content with like a 30-50% increase. But I'm also not as intrigued by a "vertical strafe" in a standard gunfight as it seems Riddler is. I like it more for it's general utility with getting around the map, and maybe a melee buff.

So instead of being airborne for 0.5 seconds you are airborne for 0.35 seconds?  Doesn’t seem worth it to me.  

Also, players should not just be able to cancel their actions.  They chose to jump, they should jump.  This ain’t no sands of time, rewind time, make better decisions bullshit.  It’s literally what people complain about Thrust and corners.  You pushed out and started getting shot so you thrust back around the corner.  You jumped and started getting shot so you quick falled.  Dumb.  Make players commit to their decision.  

Assuming this is a base trait with no cooldown, any standing height cover could be quickly peeked over top of, again and again and again, back to back, one right after another by repeatedly jumping and quick falling?  This would lead to the dumbest fucking meta of hiding behind shit and peek shotting.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SpitFlame said:

Imma say this right now. Half life is the most overrated game series of all fucking time.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Plasma Repeater 

RT automatically fires plasma bolts that raise the weapon’s heat level.  LT releases a short range, continuous blast of hot gas that damages impacted players and gradually cools the weapon, lowering its heat level.  

Primary fire enables alt fire and alt fire enables primary fire.