CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

And we've seen next to nothing? Lol

To be fair, the trailers take a while to pre-render.

• Like (+1) 2

I hope they on't blow it with the trailer again. The H5 trailer where the Power Rangers were like skiing down a mountain and cartoonishly killing covenant turned me off from that game immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they don't lie in the ads again

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Just show gameplay so I can accept whether or not my gaming life ends with mcc.

15 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Just show gameplay so I can accept whether or not my gaming life ends with mcc.

Do you not play games other than halo? 

Just now, Mr Grim said:

Do you not play games other than halo? 

Nothing else has ever held my interest for long.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Sody91 said:

Never played like... I don't know fallout 3 or new Vegas? Red dead redemption? Minecraft? 

Bionicle: The game? I dont know I'm spit balling here.

8 hours ago, Sody91 said:

I love Halo but there's a lot of other really good games out man. Overwatch for example has held my interest for years now. To be honest I'm kind of surprised that there's not a bigger crossover between Halo and OW players. With how positioning and teamfight based OW is I would have thought more former Halo players would have gotten into it.

2 hours ago, Hully said:

I love Halo but there's a lot of other really good games out man. Overwatch for example has held my interest for years now. To be honest I'm kind of surprised that there's not a bigger crossover between Halo and OW players. With how positioning and teamfight based OW is I would have thought more former Halo players would have gotten into it.

Even though it was a mess in how it ran and design choices, PUBG in it's "prime" in 2017 and even into 2018 are some damn fond memories for me with friends. I'm happy that I can still find memorable and great times, despite thinking I was unfortunately past that stage in a way.

Friendly reminder if you haven't played Dark Souls you owe it to yourself to experience that franchise. It's the only franchise that knocked Halo out of the top spot in my heart. 

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Friendly reminder if you haven't played Dark Souls you owe it to yourself to experience that franchise. It's the only franchise that knocked Halo out of the top spot in my heart. 

That's not even fair for Halo lol Fromsoft actually makes good games this past decade. I'd personally give the souls series the best individual games/series in the last 15 or so years. Oddly enough the only games I'd really say can compete are also single player rpgs despite the fact that I spend almost the entirety of my time on either MMOs or FPS games when it comes to gaming. They're just great games and the level design of the first Dark Souls is my first example of great level design

• Like (+1) 1

It would never happen, but what if 343 specifically programmed a "cancel animation" button into the game, thereby allowing for button combinations that would no longer be "glitches" but an intentional part of the game's meta? You would need to free up a button, which could be accomplished through the removal of thruster or sprint (although I know that would rustle some feathers).

It's probably my H2 fanboyism kicking in, but I feel like this could be one of the most truly innovative features the franchise could implement. Has there ever been a first-person shooter that intentionally incorporates button combo mechanics into the game? Obviously they exist via glitches in many games, but I can't think of one that has purposefully designed such capabilities into the game. Seems like it would be a far easier thing for 343 to market as "innovative" compared to things like enhanced mobility, which are present in nearly every shooter these days.

It would be a pretty easy mechanic to introduce to the lore as well. In that "Look Left/Look Right" sequence at the beginning of every campaign, you could have Chief's armor get "stuck" in an animation. The dude could say something along the lines of "Chief, your suit is stuck in a [insert cliche hacker-sounding term]. We programmed in a fail-safe command. Hit X to cancel the sequence. Good. You can use the fail-safe command to cut short any sequence programmed into your armor, but watch out: if you cancel a sequence too early, your armor might reset before the action can register."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

True–forgot about active reload. That's also something that could reasonably be incorporated without the need to free up another button.

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

While it didn't knock Halo out for me, I had a great time playing the Soulsbourne games (Sekiro included) from January 2019 to about May a few months later. Started off with DS3 after my friends teased me that I could never beat them and that I was a scrub. I was like "Fuck all of you, let's fucking go". While it was hard as shit, it was so addicting and I swear, beating a boss was like video game form of ejaculating to me, lol. Every time I beat a boss I sent a screenshot to them as a fun little game. As for the bosses themselves, I'll never forget the Nameless King. That motherfucker took me six and a half hours. By the end I was stinking, dehydrated, had greasy hair, etc and it was such a fantastic feeling. I yelled when I beat him, lmao.

From there I worked backward to DS2. Kinda coasted through that one. Was fine, but didn't hold a candle to 3 IMO and I hated the human effigy mechanic. Just wasn't fun and it was more just annoying for the sake of being annoying than rewardingly difficult. While I still preferred DS3 over 1, I had a great time there as well. Orstein and Smough can lick my fat nuts, though. That one suuuuuuuuucked.

Bloodborne and Sekiro were fantastic, IMO as well. I also can't wait for Elden Ring now. Fromsoft have definitely made me a fan.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Funny you say that because dark souls was the only game that got me off halo for a few months. Single player games tho.

@Hully I did used to play ow but ass meta after ass meta and the want to return to "everyones equal" gameplay kinda kept me on halo the majority of the time.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TBCT said:

While it didn't knock Halo out for me, I had a great time playing the Soulsbourne games (Sekiro included) from January 2019 to about May a few months later. Started off with DS3 after my friends teased me that I could never beat them and that I was a scrub. I was like "Fuck all of you, let's fucking go". While it was hard as shit, it was so addicting and I swear, beating a boss was like video game form of ejaculating to me, lol. Every time I beat a boss I sent a screenshot to them as a fun little game. As for the bosses themselves, I'll never forget the Nameless King. That motherfucker took me six and a half hours. By the end I was stinking, dehydrated, had greasy hair, etc and it was such a fantastic feeling. I yelled when I beat him, lmao.

From there I worked backward to DS2. Kinda coasted through that one. Was fine, but didn't hold a candle to 3 IMO and I hated the human effigy mechanic. Just wasn't fun and it was more just annoying for the sake of being annoying than rewardingly difficult. While I still preferred DS3 over 1, I had a great time there as well. Orstein and Smough can lick my fat nuts, though. That one suuuuuuuuucked.

Bloodborne and Sekiro were fantastic, IMO as well. I also can't wait for Elden Ring now. Fromsoft have definitely made me a fan.

I owned ds1 since 2011, played a little bit of the undead asylum and hated it. Put the game down for years. Started with DS3 in 2016 when it was on sale, beat it and became obsessed. Got through most of DS2 and stopped because I hated it. Beat Bloodborne twice and some change. Then Sekiro more recently. I've done ds3 about 8 times through, DS1 3 times. Bb twice  sekiro once. Ds2 like 80%. And never had demon souls. 

For my money I'd say DS1 is the best in the franchise and also the best game ever made. Ds3 is solid. Bb a close 2nd to DS1. I hate DS2 and Sekiro.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hully said:

ITo be honest I'm kind of surprised that there's not a bigger crossover between Halo and OW players. With how positioning and teamfight based OW is I would have thought more former Halo players would have gotten into it.

I gave OW a lot of chances, but the basic issue is that the game isn't a real FPS but just a MOBA played from 1st person. I also hate how "teamplay" is just forced with insanely strong healing and barrier mechanics instead of allowing players to organically play together and work as a team. If you're not holding hands with at least one  teammate 99% of the time you're at a massive disadvantage and to me that's just no fun.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

It certainly has become more of a MOBA since release, and honestly that's one of my complaints as well. Power creep in certain areas, too many characters with stuns and other forms of CC, and too much time spent shooting things that aren't enemy players. The healing isn't really an issue for me, Mercy and Moira have both seen multiple adjustments to get them in line, although I still think current version Moria is still somewhat OP. Not necessarily because of her healing, but because she does too many things at once. I don't know if you keep up with OW news, but barriers just got a huge nerf. Rein, Orissa, and Sigma all had their barriers nerfed in a big way, to the point that shredding them is fairly easy now, especially if you're playing a comp designed to do so. I think certain characters are indeed built to basically always be holding hands with the rest of their team, but there do exist characters that do well on their own. Tracer, Sombra, and Wrecking Ball come to mind, and even Hog can do work on his own with proper flanks. 

I personally enjoy the gameplay of Overwatch. I'd prefer dive to make a return, but now that goats is dead I feel like the meta will shift enough, and frequently enough, that it will always feel refreshing. I also really love the characters, aesthetic and lore as well. I'm actually pretty pumped for Overwatch 2 and the introduction of campaign and story missions. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

It would never happen, but what if 343 specifically programmed a "cancel animation" button into the game, thereby allowing for button combinations that would no longer be "glitches" but an intentional part of the game's meta? You would need to free up a button, which could be accomplished through the removal of thruster or sprint (although I know that would rustle some feathers).

It's probably my H2 fanboyism kicking in, but I feel like this could be one of the most truly innovative features the franchise could implement. Has there ever been a first-person shooter that intentionally incorporates button combo mechanics into the game? Obviously they exist via glitches in many games, but I can't think of one that has purposefully designed such capabilities into the game. Seems like it would be a far easier thing for 343 to market as "innovative" compared to things like enhanced mobility, which are present in nearly every shooter these days.

It would be a pretty easy mechanic to introduce to the lore as well. In that "Look Left/Look Right" sequence at the beginning of every campaign, you could have Chief's armor get "stuck" in an animation. The dude could say something along the lines of "Chief, your suit is stuck in a [insert cliche hacker-sounding term]. We programmed in a fail-safe command. Hit X to cancel the sequence. Good. You can use the fail-safe command to cut short any sequence programmed into your armor, but watch out: if you cancel a sequence too early, your armor might reset before the action can register."

Guilty Gear features a mechanic called a "Roman Cancel", where players can do exactly this.

9 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I owned ds1 since 2011, played a little bit of the undead asylum and hated it. Put the game down for years. Started with DS3 in 2016 when it was on sale, beat it and became obsessed. Got through most of DS2 and stopped because I hated it. Beat Bloodborne twice and some change. Then Sekiro more recently. I've done ds3 about 8 times through, DS1 3 times. Bb twice  sekiro once. Ds2 like 80%. And never had demon souls. 

For my money I'd say DS1 is the best in the franchise and also the best game ever made. Ds3 is solid. Bb a close 2nd to DS1. I hate DS2 and Sekiro.

Dark Souls 1 really is a masterpiece in a lot of ways and one of my favourites as well. It arguably has the best 3d level design ever conceived (taking that elevator down to Firelink Shrine still blows my mind), amazing art and bosses, a lot of environmental storytelling, and a crazy amount of secrets and hidden places. It's like the original Zelda, where you're just dropped off in this complex world and have to figure things out for yourself, without any map or guide.

I think what made DS1 the best was how it was one huge world that looped back on itself, unlike BB or DS3 where you start at a set hub and warp to different locations. I was disappointed when I first played DS3 and learned that Firelink Shrine wasn't connected to the other areas. Almost makes me think DS1 was a fluke, and I wonder why they never went back to that sort of world design.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1