Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

I’d be straight up with 343, no sprint, and no movement abilities. 
like h3,2,1 and h2a! MLG V7 from reach. 
but since 343 is so keen on a more modern set of movement, they should just make h6 play like that mythic game type from h5. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Basu said:

Hammer shouldn't exist outside of campaign. 

How bout you take that mouth of yours and try shutting it the hecking cuntfuck up about my boi grifball.

  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Boyo said:

How important is the ability to melee while scoped to you?

I think it's pretty important. That's one of the things that drives me nuts about H1 that I wish I could change. It just seems needlessly restrictive. The only argument you can make is that it punishes clenching and accidently scoping in a CQC fight, but that's not even a conscious decision that the player is making. That doesn't seem like the type of behavior that needs to be punished. Might as well descope the player if he's gripping his controller too tight, you know? The game just feels like it's getting in the way.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

@Hard Way Would you be terribly upset if the Sniper Rifle used “melee button while scoped” to activate its second level zoom?

(LT being scope and R3 being melee)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Boyo said:

@Hard Way Would you be terribly upset if the Sniper Rifle used “melee button while scoped” to activate its second level zoom?

(LT being scope and R3 being melee)

I think it’s a great idea for an option, but I like it the way it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I think it's pretty important. That's one of the things that drives me nuts about H1 that I wish I could change. It just seems needlessly restrictive. The only argument you can make is that it punishes clenching and accidently scoping in a CQC fight, but that's not even a conscious decision that the player is making. That doesn't seem like the type of behavior that needs to be punished. Might as well descope the player if he's gripping his controller too tight, you know? The game just feels like it's getting in the way.

Wait you can’t melee in h1 whole scoped? I guess it’s nothing I ever noticed since Usually you get descoped. 

Share this post


Link to post

The Repulse Belt is activated by pressing or holding the jump button while airborne and next to a wall.  Pressing performs a wall jump, propelling the user up and away from the wall.  Holding performs a wall jump, same as before but if another wall is subsequently impacted, another wall jump is performed.  

Standing at the bottom of an empty elevator shaft, a Repulse Belt user could bounce back and forth all the way to the top.  Maps could feature “Mine Shafts”; upward tunnels that allow certain players to quickly travel vertically.

Unlike a Jetpack that can take flight in an empty field, the Repulse Belt requires a wall to function at all.  In most circumstances, one Wall Jump is all that will be possible due to map design but it allows for the possibility of multi bounce, significant height gains if an area is designed for it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Boyo’s post got me thinking.

What’s the general consensus on double jump and wall running here? Does anyone think it could fit in Halo?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Boyo’s post got me thinking.

What’s the general consensus on double jump and wall running here? Does anyone think it could fit in Halo?

Neither are good. Id like to see wall kicking in some fashion though.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Boyo’s post got me thinking.

What’s the general consensus on double jump and wall running here? Does anyone think it could fit in Halo?

what does double jump and wall running achieve as mechanics that a unified player speed and well placed map geometry cannot? 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Neither are good. Id like to see wall kicking in some fashion though.

Kind of like a wall jump in Super Metroid? Weird reference but it was the only thing that came to my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Boyo’s post got me thinking.

What’s the general consensus on double jump and wall running here? Does anyone think it could fit in Halo?

Please God no.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

You know I’d very much like it if halo infinite gameplay was halo 5 mythic style. It be very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Obnokshus said:

what does double jump and wall running achieve as mechanics that a unified player speed and well placed map geometry cannot? 

Pick ups that enhance player movement, granting the user access to unique routes, can act as incentive items that change the way the map is traversed.  

In a gametype like Invasion, where opposing teams have different base traits, team specific movement enhancers could allow different teams access to different paths.  

To answer the question, what would wall running and double jump add as base traits in arena gameplay?  Not much of anything.  

Share this post


Link to post

Double Jump - The primary purpose would be to juke shots by either unpredictably double-jumping upwards, or by using it to change the direction of your previous jump, which might or might not get annoying trying to track with a controller.  Map verticality would have to be slightly altered (no big deal), horizontal gaps would have to be altered which could entail stretching out the map if you can't otherwise make the gaps themselves larger, which isn't good.

Wall Running - Doesn't serve much point in general while just making maps all the harder to design.  Having protruding ledges/pipes/etc on specific parts of the map basically accomplishes the same thing without allowing it to be done everywhere else, only difference being they can be used to walk back and forth while wall running locks you into a predictable direction.  But we have man cannons if you needed to lock someone's movement.

Wall Kick - In essence a more predictable, more restricted double-jump.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I mean we’ve seen how double jump works in doom and it’s not hard to track, and the way you aim in doom and halo is close to the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I figured someone would say that.

DooM doesnt center around headshots or pinpoint precision weapons.  Its major weapons (Shotguns, Automatics, manually detonated rockets) all have wide area of effect, while the few precision guns it has go largely unused.

Generally you're just shooting the person's center mass, going only for headshots if feasible for a smidge of extra damage.  While in Halo landing that final headshot is everything.

DooM is similar to Halo but also different in some very significant ways.  Caution has to be exercised before saying "but it works in DooM".

Not saying double jump cant work but there are definitely things to consider.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Nokt said:

Kind of like a wall jump in Super Metroid? Weird reference but it was the only thing that came to my mind.

I have literally never played a Metroid game in my life. I always thought it was Japanese knockoff halo as a little kid.

Anyway, wall kick is generally inoffensive but also gives more capability to the player while still in combat. It also doesnt inherently make map traversing easier. It's a great addition to halo because of this. I have often stated that my ideal halo is basically an updated ce coupled with freer movement. Wall kicking and air strafing like in Doom 1. There was another ability I'm forgetting about though.

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of Metroid, 

Check our his enhanced movement pick up.  Pretty cool huh?

Share this post


Link to post

Tele Link (Armor Ability) 

LB cycles through available exit nodes.  Cycling through nodes gives the user a full screen remote view, looking out of the currently selected node.  While remotely viewing through a node, the user can look in any direction but not move.  Cycling through all available nodes returns the user to player view.  RB teleports the user to the currently selected node.  

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

I figured someone would say that.

DooM doesnt center around headshots or pinpoint precision weapons.  Its major weapons (Shotguns, Automatics, manually detonated rockets) all have wide area of effect, while the few precision guns it has go largely unused.

Generally you're just shooting the person's center mass, going only for headshots if feasible for a smidge of extra damage.  While in Halo landing that final headshot is everything.

DooM is similar to Halo but also different in some very significant ways.  Caution has to be exercised before saying "but it works in DooM".

Not saying double jump cant work but there are definitely things to consider.

What about splitgate? That game plays like halo in precision dominance and headshot needy. And the jet pack works a lot like a double jump.

Share this post


Link to post

Double Jump as a universal base trait is redundant and unnecessary with crouch jump already serving that purpose in Halo.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Isn't it just on PC?

Also not really.  The Jetpack is a lot more gradual than a sudden upward burst is.

Yes but it has aim assist for controller

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.