CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Ngl, while I agree with the pathetic attempts to steal mechanics from CoD this post was pretty hard to read.
But Halo has always been hybrid as far as the arena shooter elements vs. passive health regen go, personally I would send everybody working on Halo back in time and let them play some Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament because those games understood how items on maps should work out very well compared to what has been happening after HCE.
Generally I feel like most of the modern Halo games lack identity and it's because the devs don't understand that the balance of not being a full arena shooter but taking the fundamentals that made AFPS so great and making them work in this Halo context is a really thin line. To me it seems like they took what Halo was at the time (thinking of Reach and maybe a bit of H3) and just forced stuff from popular games on it like sprint being a given for anybody instead of one of a set of armor abilities like in Reach and that's one out of many examples.
So in a way they never went out there and asked what made classic Halo the game it was (and that a lot of people loved), instead they saw what was there and tried to "modernize" it in a brute force fashion, it's like making Chess 2 and giving each side 5 figures at the start because that's currently a popular team size in MOBAs. They just didn't realize people play Halo because it's a different game than CoD, and even if you shove in CoD stuff like they tried to in H4 the people who love CoD will stick to fucking CoD (what a surprise). Meanwhile you are pissing off people that liked how Halo played before you (343) made this leap to "reach a bigger audience".
In that sense: People love cake and people love pizza right? So let's make something that is a mix of both and people will love it even more for sure.

I'm well aware of Halo's weird spot in between tactical and AFPS. But I think by now the original Halo formula has turned into a true classic and carved its own identity so that we can define "Halo" as almost its own kind of FPS. Obviously it shares many traits with other shooters, but at the same time can't turn Halo more "Tactical" or more "Arena" by tweaking a few knobs, because the entire thing quickly falls apart as we've seen with H4/5. For example, I think Breakout shows best how turning Halo more into a tactical shooter was just a complete shot in the foot.

Fully agree on the "Chess 2" argument though. Not only was there nothing to "MoDerNiZE" aside from graphical and audio fidelity as well as QOL improvements, they also did it in the worst way possible. Using AAs in Reach/H4 always felt clunky af, bloom even more so. The new H4/5 abilities also clash pretty hard. Undeniably they spent thousands of man-hours getting the SAs to sort of work in H5, but ultimately it still feels like they were just shoved in there. Getting stuck in mid-air because I zoomed in with the sniper or having my shotgun jam for a second because I dared to move at full speed for a moment is not smooth game design.

Also love the pizza and cake analogy. That's basically my argument, sorry if it was hard to follow lol. I'd rather get a cake and pizza alternating every two years than getting a gross cakepizza every three years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

@Hard Way
Generally not against health packs, I like that without health regen enabled you can put down done some constant damage on people and force them to rotate towards an item that can be picked up for a heal. Maybe this whole system would have more impact if specific types of damage would apply a percentage of that true damage to the shields and a bit to the health as well, kinda similar to how armors in quake can absorb damage partially but this is something I have not thought about enough to make up my mind when it comes to Halo.
Always felt like the shield recharge is a bit off tho (to finally get to the question), because being no shields with full health has you in a situation where you cannot get this recharge, it's almost like you are being punished for not taking the additional bodyshot from somebodies DMR. So either you should be able to pick up the healthpack at all times unless you are completely full shield for the recharge or the recharge mechanic shouldn't be tied to it, to me it seems a little random to connect the two mechanics if me taking no health damage while being no shields is something I am getting punished for by this seemingly artificial condition to pick up this health regen + shield recharge combo item...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Basu said:

we can define "Halo"

Should we try to define Halo?

Halo is a medium paced, pick up based, in your face, run and gun, lots of fun, let’s 1v1...

This turned into a jingle somewhere along the way. 

• Fire (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I like the idea, but I don't care for the slowdown/quicksand aspect of it. I'd rather it be an all or nothing type deal. Let the color of the floor illustrate how much longer you have before you fall through.

Do you think a translucent floor that players can simply crouch on to fall through is better than a floor that players fall through after enough time spent stationary?  They don’t accomplish the same thing but the former leaves the decision up to the player, with no in between, as to whether he is on top of the floor or below it. 

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Can’t corner camp this room.  Encourage players to use it as a path to travel, not a place to stay.  If it were a second story floor, players could remain stationary as a means to travel to the first floor from this room.  Crouching could drop you through faster.  

Oh I don't hate the idea. I think it's legitimately fucking hilarious.

Non Newtonian floor is either a great steam name or great band name. Maybe both...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think a translucent floor that players can simply crouch on to fall through is better than a floor that players fall through after enough time spent stationary?  They don’t accomplish the same thing but the former leaves the decision up to the player, with no in between, as to whether he is on top of the floor or below it. 

I think if you turned the ability to stand still/crouch to fall through floors into a power up that would be legitimately crazy and fun to watch sometimes. Not sure if it would be balanced ever but it would be cool to watch on maps like guardian or lockout where it could potentially kill you as much as it could help you. Things like that just thrown into forge as something you can spawn are what we need just to have fun customs and gametypes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Yeah I definitely prefer that. I don't think a crouch should make for an instant dropdown, but it should accelerate it. And the guy in the room under him should be able to see the floor changing color and anticipate the drop.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Hard Way

It might be a bit much but if you designed a map around the idea, you could have one central movement enhancing area that drops you through if you crouch on it and increases your jump height if you jump off of it.  

• Like (+1) 1

What are your opinions on the death cam? I thought about it lately and I feel as though it gives you waaay too much benefits for dying, you pretty much get an overview of nearly the entire match and access to information that you/your team may have never had without it, I don't think you should be rewarded this much for something that is ultimately supposed to be a punishment, I think the cam should be completely static like it was before and remove the ability to scroll between players, at least for competitive anyways.

@Mow

Being able to look around your dead body and having the camera initially point in the direction of your killer is no buen but what’s the problem with being able to cycle through spectating your living teammates during respawn?

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Mow

Being able to look around your dead body and having the camera initially point in the direction of your killer is no buen but what’s the problem with being able to cycle through spectating your living teammates during respawn?

You can give them information that they may have otherwise missed for no added disadvantage since you are already dead, if you can view teammates at the very least you shouldn't be able to move the camera around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Mow said:

What are your opinions on the death cam? I thought about it lately and I feel as though it gives you waaay too much benefits for dying, you pretty much get an overview of nearly the entire match and access to information that you/your team may have never had without it, I don't think you should be rewarded this much for something that is ultimately supposed to be a punishment, I think the cam should be completely static like it was before and remove the ability to scroll between players, at least for competitive anyways.

I do agree with this, but’s one of those things that’s been in halo for like ever, removing it just causes frustration. I’ve helped teammates by telling them a guy was behind them after my death which helped them not get killed.

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

@Snipe Three

Lockout already has an Escape Hatch built into top mid.  

yeah the certain affinity's version...

I hate every certain affinity h2a map they ruined them. Warlock especially, adding those additional jump ups completely ruined the map and turned it into a hell hole.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Basu said:

I'm well aware of Halo's weird spot in between tactical and AFPS. But I think by now the original Halo formula has turned into a true classic and carved its own identity so that we can define "Halo" as almost its own kind of FPS. Obviously it shares many traits with other shooters, but at the same time can't turn Halo more "Tactical" or more "Arena" by tweaking a few knobs, because the entire thing quickly falls apart as we've seen with H4/5. For example, I think Breakout shows best how turning Halo more into a tactical shooter was just a complete shot in the foot.

Fully agree on the "Chess 2" argument though. Not only was there nothing to "MoDerNiZE" aside from graphical and audio fidelity as well as QOL improvements, they also did it in the worst way possible. Using AAs in Reach/H4 always felt clunky af, bloom even more so. The new H4/5 abilities also clash pretty hard. Undeniably they spent thousands of man-hours getting the SAs to sort of work in H5, but ultimately it still feels like they were just shoved in there. Getting stuck in mid-air because I zoomed in with the sniper or having my shotgun jam for a second because I dared to move at full speed for a moment is not smooth game design.

Also love the pizza and cake analogy. That's basically my argument, sorry if it was hard to follow lol. I'd rather get a cake and pizza alternating every two years than getting a gross cakepizza every three years.

Breakout is Literally the Best 343 Halo has EVER played. End of Discussion 

• WutFace (+0) 1

9 hours ago, znot said:

yeah the certain affinity's version...

I hate every certain affinity h2a map they ruined them. Warlock especially, adding those additional jump ups completely ruined the map and turned it into a hell hole.

Yeah But I can Design an Entire fleshed out Fun Custom Forge map inside of an already Structured Zanzibar. Pinnacle Technology. No more of this Placing 5 Crates around Last Resort and calling it a Fort Bullshit. H2A is God Tier

Last Splitscreen Halo ftw

I'll bet you all 4 of my limbs that Halo Infinite will only have 2 player local and Not only that the whole game is guaranteed to be drm online locked (sErViCeS) and the entire aspect of local multiplayer is going to be trashed and botched in the year 2020 when every single AAA game ever made from now on wants to be a god damn Battle Net launcher MMO

If Prometheans were a playable species in Invasion gametypes, pressing the Crouch button would turn the Promethean’s player model into a small sphere that can roll in any direction.  If the player rolled his sphere into one of the “cannons” located on the map, he would gain the ability to fire himself, the small sphere, as a projectile towards his selected destination.  

Essentially an aim-able mancannon that only Prometheans in sphere form can enter and use.

• WutFace (+0) 1

11 hours ago, Vyrst said:

Yeah But I can Design an Entire fleshed out Fun Custom Forge map inside of an already Structured Zanzibar. Pinnacle Technology. No more of this Placing 5 Crates around Last Resort and calling it a Fort Bullshit. H2A is God Tier

Last Splitscreen Halo ftw

H2A Zanzibar can't even maintain its frame rate in single player.

• Like (+1) 2

i feel like im on auto pilot when i play h2a. game is boring and ugly as fuck to look at besides warlord.

3 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

i feel like im on auto pilot when i play h2a. game is boring and ugly as fuck to look at besides warlord.

I think Shrine/Warlock are very aesthetically pleasing. But the Spartan models/colour is not my cup of tea.

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I think Shrine/Warlock are very aesthetically pleasing. But the Spartan models/colour is not my cup of tea.

So what exactly is wrong with h2a? I mean it’s basically the closest thing to classic halo we can get. Heck’s I wish the game would get the following tweaks 

1. Hit markers and indicators removed

2. Aim assist toned down and bullet mag

3. Buff all the weapons as the BR is just op as shit compared to everything else(gotta look out for the bad kids you know)

4. More maps would be nice

5. Optimization be nice as well, as FPS drops at times.

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

So what exactly is wrong with h2a? I mean it’s basically the closest thing to classic halo we can get. Heck’s I wish the game would get the following tweaks 

1. Hit markers and indicators removed

2. Aim assist toned down and bullet mag

3. Buff all the weapons as the BR is just op as shit compared to everything else(gotta look out for the bad kids you know)

4. More maps would be nice

5. Optimization be nice as well, as FPS drops at times.

Biggest step would be more maps (Middy plz) and removing all shitmarkers and grenade indicators. These would instantly make the game twice as good. Also please cut all the nonsense post-processing and sun glare. I'd also be happy if they removed all the newly added map hazards. They're super gimmicky and don't belong IMO. Also, static weapon and powerup spawns are a must.

For some more controversial ideas, which would make it less of a H2 remake but I feel would 100% improve the game:

- Buff BR to 1s kill time but heavily nerf the bullet mag and make it projectile. Rest of the sandbox should follow this move and be balanced around the new BR.

- Add Reach GL and a non-autolocking version of the Railgun.

- Add more competitvely viable gamemodes like Extraction, Strongholds > 3 plot (better scoring and UI), roaming KOTH.

• Fire (+1) 1

The sunglare nonsense has been a massive issue for visibility from H4 onwards, it's like 343 is that 12 year old kid that just found a youtube tutorial on how to install the most overpowered shaders for minecraft.

• Like (+1) 1

Would I be mistaken for not wanting more map remakes? I just feel like that's been played out. And plus these remakes end up being the better maps in the game, meaning that the best maps are... the last game's maps. I'm pretty sure at this point I'd rather a new game rely on it's own maps then the maps of another game to be good. 

I posted this vid back in oct and a lot of you didn't like the suggestions, but I wanna hear your thoughts about the portal 2 icon suggestion?

Icons on the map that point to where we should look for mic-less teammates

aad7a8fd0feea819f9133a10df84992f.png

b0c7dc2476706fc938482946aa3cef44.png

Only allow two icons at a time, and have a cooldown period so people aren't spamming it constantly, and only allowing two icons wont crowd up the screen. ( I guess it could be adjusted depending on the gametype size) BTB could have 3-4 icons that are smaller. The more icons used, the smaller they go so less screen real estate is taken up.

And Halo has had waypoints since CE so I don't see an issue adding them now.