CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

@Basu

@Warlord Wossman

A short duration forward speed boost.  You don’t lower your weapon and it doesn’t last long but it will get you across the street.  That’s the way I imagine Sprint operating in BTB.  It’ll move you two Warthog lengths or so but you can only fire forward while using it.  You can still chase someone while shooting them.  It won’t have a significant stretching effect on maps because maps need to have some open space for vehicles anyway.

They key would be balancing vehicle size/speed/maneuverability with map design, player speed, and sprint speed.  You find the sweet spot where vehicles have enough room to operate, and sprint has a short enough duration that it does not stretch maps further than the vehicle pathing already has.  That’s how I picture it.  

• WutFace (+0) 1

Just keep it at normal movement imo, sure in H3 and Reach you walk slowly but apply 120% movement speed and test on the right map and it doesn't feel terrible to cross any road or even open area. Just avoid massive open areas, sure a lot of maps currently have them, but most people I talked to are moreso just getting annoyed by trying to shoot their gun at those distances or not being able to pressure a player with a sniperrifle without having one yourself.

Just thought of H3 Rat's Nest, even the slow H3 base movement isn't a problem running around on the roads there and as I said: faster base movement will even more so fill this gap where introducing 2 different movement speeds will ultimately always run into issues we discussed over and over here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@Warlord Wossman

I picture maps more like this one when trying to determine what mechanics should be included and how they should behave.  I think it is one of the best maps ever designed for Halo.  It’s what made me really start thinking of 5v5/6v6, infantry with limited vehicles, as the premiere gamemode.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

If standoff taught me anything its that low player counts and vehicles lead to some of the biggest blowouts and snowballs you'll ever see in your life. It could maybe work out if you were extremely aware of the need to balance vehicles in a smaller scale (which probably ruins them in btb). It also leads to hilarious moments like when I used to ride on the hood of a ghost on snowbound and snipe people in 2v2 with my cousin. Not willing to say that was good gameplay but it was funny at the time

Alright boyo I need some arena vehicle variants and mechanics

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Increased traversal options should be baked into the map and that's it.  Portals, mancannons, vehicles. Hell throw in some sort of moving terrain like a moving sidewalk at an airport (like elongation but less annoying).  Add some niche cool shit like when you used to be able to fling people by flipping over a hog.  Add elements to the map geometry itself to help with traversal specifically for that particular map.  This one-size-fits-all stuff is just horseshit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Apoll0 said:

Increased traversal options should be baked into the map and that's it.  Portals, mancannons, vehicles. Hell throw in some sort of moving terrain like a moving sidewalk at an airport (like elongation but less annoying).  Add some niche cool shit like when you used to be able to fling people by flipping over a hog.  Add elements to the map geometry itself to help with traversal specifically for that particular map.  This one-size-fits-all stuff is just horseshit.

A Jetpack pick up can do things that a stationary Gravity Lift can’t.  A building has 3 open windows located across its outer walls.  The map designer would have to permanently take up space on the ground with three separate lifts in order to allow a player to go in through a window where as one Jetpack pick can do the same and takes up no space on the map.  

59 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A Jetpack pick up can do things that a stationary Gravity Lift can’t.  A building has 3 open windows located across its outer walls.  The map designer would have to permanently take up space on the ground with three separate lifts in order to allow a player to go in through a window where as one Jetpack pick can do the same and takes up no space on the map.  

But jetpack is just one dude, a permanent grav lift or even the H3 pickup GL would be way cooler and allow people to push the building together.

58 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Well its a map pick up so i guess thats fine.  I think a jetpack is cheesy AF and never really liked them, but i have no actual reason for that other than thinking "Gawd this thing is stupid" whenever i see/use one. I still think the grav lift pickup is better.  Let the team decide which one to attack together instead of just Ramboing it.

I feel like enough time has passed and people forgot about Battle Royale in Halo. Because of that, I think 343 IS gonna add a battle royale to Halo Infinite.

Also, I'm probably wrong but I feel like battle royale hype is pretty low right now and in typical 343 fashion they'll cash in on a FAD way too late.

Then when going back to roots has phased out, 343 will go back to classic halo.

343 chases trends too late into the trends cycle.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, znot said:

I feel like enough time has passed and people forgot about Battle Royale in Halo. Because of that, I think 343 IS gonna add a battle royale to Halo Infinite.

Also, I'm probably wrong but I feel like battle royale hype is pretty low right now and in typical 343 fashion they'll cash in on a FAD way too late.

Then when going back to roots has phased out, 343 will go back to classic halo.

343 chases trends too late into the trends cycle.

They haven't done wallrunning yet. It will go wallrunning, then Battle Royale, then going back to their roots. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Hm, I esp like stuff that can be triggered by players like a door that stays open for 30 seconds after activation, sure those can be gimmicky depending on the map but with the right layout it can work out, I think in Halo BTB would also be a more fitting gametype for those sort of map interactions than 4v4s since you have more people on a team that can play support roles rather than just cleaning up kills.
Always felt like the vehicle sandbox is cool (could def be improved but that's another topic) but would be even cooler if it interacted more with the map.

I like how you bring up mancannons and portals, it's been ages since I made a map without one of those - not sure if I just played too much Quake but to me it really feels like those are tools that should be used for specific cases when making a map, on a similar note I would love to make BTB maps that capture a more room based combat oriented style but always felt like forge is a bit too limited with the upper limit for pieces you can use when I compare it to map editors I have used on the PC where I can literally add anything I want and have to find the middle ground with good performance myself.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Basu said:

But jetpack is just one dude, a permanent grav lift or even the H3 pickup GL would be way cooler and allow people to push the building together.

Yes, H3 Grav Lift can be used by multiple people.  I still like the Jetpack more because it gives the user finer, more diverse control of his movement.

Let’s say players all spawned with a empty jetpack and passing through an area, a charging beam or something, filled it up.  It’s essentially a Jetpack pick up that instantly respawns.  The charging beam could give multiple players the ability to gain altitude, each in their own individual way.  This system allows multiple players to gain altitude, like h3 grav lift, but with the finer, more diverse control of jetpack.  

1 hour ago, Hully said:

They haven't done wallrunning yet. It will go wallrunning, then Battle Royale, then going back to their roots. 

I think you forgot Champion/Hero Shooter.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Alright boyo I need some arena vehicle variants and mechanics

Speaking of mechanics, I thought Ricochet was an unsalvagable, stupid gametype until I played this map.  A long, tug of war style map with a few more players and some light vehicles really changed my mind.  An objective with such unconventional traits, throwing, rolling, needed an unconventional map to match.  

https://www.forgehub.com/maps/wildfire.232/

INVASION 

Playable Spartans 

The Triggers operate the weapon.  The Bumpers activate Armor Abilities (Sprint and Thrust).  The Stick Clicks crouch and melee.  Crouch activates Armor Lock.  The A and B buttons jump and throw grenades.  While airborne, holding A activates Jetpack.  B throws a Frag.  

Playable Elites 

The Triggers operate the weapon.  The Bumpers activate Armor Abilities (Evade and Speedboost).  The Stick Clicks crouch and melee.  Stationary crouching makes the user invisible.  Crouch walking provides weak camo.  The A and B buttons jump and throw grenades.  While airborne and next to a vertical surface, A performs a Wall Kick that propels the player upward and away from the wall.  B throws a Sticky.  

Playable Brutes 

The Triggers operate the weapon.  The Bumpers activate Armor Abilities (Gravity Boots and Gravity Gauntlet*).  The Stick Clicks crouch and melee.  Crouch activates Berserker.  While berserking, the Brute hunches over, shielding his head with his right hand.  He has increased damage resistance to bodyshots and increased forward movement speed but can only perform melee attacks.  The A and B buttons jump and throw grenades.  While airborne at a sufficient altitude, A performs a Ground Pound.  B throws a Spike grenade.  

Playable Prometheans 

The Triggers operate the weapon.  The Bumpers activate Armor Abilities (Hoverboard and Glider**).  The Stick Clicks crouch and melee.  A successful melee instantly begins the user’s shield recharge.  Crouch turns the player model into a small sphere that can roll in any direction.  The A and B buttons jump and throw grenades.  While airborne, A instantly teleports the user upward a short distance, like a double jump (holding A hovers).  B activates the Conduit grenade type.  

The Conduit is not thrown like a traditional grenade.  It is instantly fired from the Promethean’s right hand.  It releases a short range beam for half a second that sucks the shields off an impacted player and instantly transfers them to the user.  Firing the Conduit at a shield door or shield barrier disables it.  

*Gravity Boots rapidly propel the user upwards a moderate distance.  Gravity Gauntlet rapidly propels the user a short distance in the direction of his reticle.  

**Hoverboard automatically increases the user’s forward movement speed on the ground.  Glider automatically increases the user’s forward movement speed in the air.  

Like Alpha Zombies, what do you think about alpha players in Invasion?  Asymmetric traits on asymmetric maps, maybe some asymmetry within the team itself?  There is one Brute Chieftain or Elite Ultra per team.  They have different armor aesthetics and unique spawn weapons.  

I wish average party size was a stat I could check. I feel like (W/L) / Average Party Size would be a really telling stat.

Damage/min would be great to see on a career page too.

Invasion is a 9v9 gametype where teams can consist of 1 high ranking player, 2 medium ranking players, and 6 low ranking players.  For example, Elites would have 1 General, 2 Ultras, and 6 Minors.  Players can spawn on any rank higher than them.  During the respawn timer, low ranks can choose to spawn on one of the three higher ranking players or at a random respawn point.  Each rank has a different respawn timer.  Low ranks take 5 seconds, medium ranks take 10 seconds, and high ranks take 15 seconds to respawn when killed.  Higher ranks spawn with more powerful weapons.  The highest rank wears a helmet that protects him from one precision headshot while shieldless.  

All Elites spawn with a Plasma Pistol (that is holstered if two other weapons are acquired).

Elite Minors spawn with a Plasma Repeater primary weapon.  

Elite Ultras spawn with a Needle Rifle primary weapon and Plasma Repeater secondary weapon.  

The Elite General spawns with an a Energy Blade on his left forearm that causes his regular melee to behave like an Energy Sword along with a Plasma Detonator primary weapon and Needle Rifle secondary weapon.  

All Brutes spawn with a Mauler (that is holstered if two other weapons are acquired).  

Brute Minors spawn with Spikers as the primary weapon.  

Brute Majors spawn with a Tidal Rifle primary weapon and Spikers as the secondary weapon.  

The Brute Captain spawns with a Kinetic Fist on his left hand that causes his regular melee to behave like a Gravity Hammer along with a Gravity Bow primary weapon and a Tidal Rifle secondary weapon. 

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

Like Alpha Zombies, what do you think about alpha players in Invasion?  Asymmetric traits on asymmetric maps, maybe some asymmetry within the team itself?  There is one Brute Chieftain or Elite Ultra per team.  They have different armor aesthetics and unique spawn weapons.  

Hmm not bad, but is it for the whole game? Or is it randomized based on death? 

7 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I wish average party size was a stat I could check. I feel like (W/L) / Average Party Size would be a really telling stat.

It would never happen ever but I agree it'd be an interesting stat.

Has anybody asked Xbox if the new scarlett will actually have LAN support?

Or just reschool me on what exactly about the Xbox one makes lan impossible?

This Halo tourney just reminded me, if scarlett doesn't have actual lan then I guess its going to PC boys.

10 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I once thought it would be interesting if you had separate ranks according to your party size. 

• Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, znot said:

Has anybody asked Xbox if the new scarlett will actually have LAN support?

Or just reschool me on what exactly about the Xbox one makes lan impossible?

This Halo tourney just reminded me, if scarlett doesn't have actual lan then I guess its going to PC boys.

Its just generally not supported on the software end of things. If its not supported its because they chose to exclude it. There is no hardware reasoning that the console couldn't support lan

13 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I once thought it would be interesting if you had separate ranks according to your party size. 

Be kinda hard to implement don’t you think? Or would anyone want to make that? Rank for solo, duos, 3s, 4s. 

14 hours ago, The Tyco said:

30 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Be kinda hard to implement don’t you think? Or would anyone want to make that? Rank for solo, duos, 3s, 4s. 

Kind of side note, but Destiny 2 added in Solo queue for competitive recently. It does a pretty decent job of matching you with like players and is generally good matches. I wouldn't hate something like that in Halo.

• Like (+1) 3