CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I'm expecting them to one-up themselves and give us armor skins beyond what they did in H5, so pizza themed helmet and body armor is in the works.

Didn't H4 have armor skins? I swear one of the advertised pre-order bouses was an armor skin.

Didn't H4 have armor skins? I swear one of the advertised pre-order bouses was an armor skin.

There were some pretty cool steampunk dlc skins.

I don't know why anybody would have an issue with any skin as long as there is variety?  Since the point from a player perspective is to personalize your arsenal based on your own taste, and from a business perspective to appeal to the widest audience possible to sell more skins.  Really a proper collection would have everything from realistic military camo designs to over-the-top tron looking shit and everything in between.  If there is one thing where the design doesn't need to be realistic nor fit into the preexisting universe, its weapon skins.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quake Champions does this. You can unlock the models from older Quake games, but the weapons function exactly the same.

Hell, in some arena FPS you can just turn off the gun model completely.

i turn off the gun model in any game i can. Its simply better because you can see more of the screen

i turn off the gun model in any game i can. Its simply better because you can see more of the screen

I only like to see the gun model so i can tell what i have out from my periphery without actually looking at the corner of the hud.  I would LOVE something like what Eldewrito has where you can move the gun model wherever you want on the screen.  I think Halo infinite should have per-weapon options for stuff like zoom type (ADS, Classic), Gun model version (eg. H3 BR, H2 BR etc), Model position, etc.  Let people make the game look they way they want without actually effecting the way it plays.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't know why anybody would have an issue with any skin as long as there is variety?  Since the point from a player perspective is to personalize your arsenal based on your own taste, and from a business perspective to appeal to the widest audience possible to sell more skins.  Really a proper collection would have everything from realistic military camo designs to over-the-top tron looking shit and everything in between.  If there is one thing where the design doesn't need to be realistic nor fit into the preexisting universe, its weapon skins.

"Don't like it, don't use it" isn't a valid argument where cosmetics are concerned because I'm still forced to look at other people wearing that ugly garbage.

Like shit dude why not just add unicorn fursuits and let you run around as a CoD marine and what not?  Don't like it, don't use it, who cares about immersion?  All about that cosmetic microtransaction cash flow.

• Upvote (+1) 3

"Don't like it, don't use it" isn't a valid argument where cosmetics are concerned because I'm still forced to look at other people wearing that ugly garbage.

Like shit dude why not just add unicorn fursuits and let you run around as a CoD marine and what not?  Don't like it, don't use it, who cares about immersion?  All about that cosmetic microtransaction cash flow.

Whats not valid about it?  Letting people run around in fur suits and CoD outfits in Halo would be fucking asinine of course.  You're toeing the line of a strawman argument there.  Whatever the cosmetics are, they still need to match the game.  But for weapons as long as the geometry of the weapon is recognizably accurate so everybody knows what weapon you are carrying, anything goes cosmetically. Same with armor.  as long as the armor is actually armor, anything else goes.  Frankly people need to get over themselves and just be ok with seeing other players with ugly shit and be happy they have something to use that they actually like (assuming they do of course).  Art more than pretty much everything is entirely subjective.  What is ugly to you might be great to someone else and the options for cosmetics should run the gamut. 

I mean we've already reached the bottom of the barrel with the ugly-ass H5 skins and garbage like the seeker helmet. Most weapons also look hideous now (that fucking toaster sniper scope still exists somehow) so I don't think adding furry suits and CoD SAS skins would ruin the aesthetics of Halo that much further. With that said, anything that gives advantages like smaller hitboxes or allows blending in with the enviroment can fuck off.

Well yeah my post was coming from the direction of monetizing the skins. If they wanted a sense of accomplishment they need to highlight basically everything they've ever done and press delete when it comes to skins. Really the only thing I can think of that this was done well with would be like Recon/Hayabusa armor in H3. Maybe you could argue some of Reach's stuff or Achilles in H5 but imo they had so much and the grind took so long that it was watered down. One of the biggest missteps they make in that regard is having so much armor that nothing is particularly recognizable or stands out. Random ugly pieces collected somewhere along the way end up becoming more rare to see than the prestigious unlocks. Fewer but more distinct armor sets is how you ensure that people recognize what they're seeing and that in turn helps drive the prestige when you lock it behind something exceptional

Mine was too. A good monetization system (from a business perspective) would merge the concepts of achievement and financial investment.

Battle Pass is a good example of that. You’re basically paying for the right to access items that you must then earn through achievements.

I think angry birds 2 is another good example, because they basically have weekly XP ladders, and the cosmetics you earn/buy help you boost your way up the ladders which in turn helps you unlock more items

These methods drive high engagement, which will translate into sales, even amongst people who aren’t whales.

H5s system is just all wrong because there really is no sense of progression or achievement to capitalize on. Rather than your inventory being a sign of your personal tastes, your record and your accomplishments , it’s just a sign of how many packs you’ve opened and how lucky your are. It will be effective on people with whale psychology, but that’s about it.

Another thing with cosmetic microtransactions or battle passes or whatever: If they exist in the game, i don't want to pay full price for said game up front.  Its like being charged a cover for walking into Best Buy. I have spent money on skins in other games because I don't feel like i'm getting "taxed" just to play.  The initial barrier of entry was low and the things i bought had no bearing on my ability to play the game or do well.  They were essentially items i got because i liked the game and they hadn't demanded money out of me yet.  Case in point, i have never bought a REQ pack with real money.  Or any loot boxes in overwatch with real money.  Despite the fact that i have played a lot of both games. They charged me $60 already, so basically... fuck you.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I hated armor unlocks that were campaign only. You know

But why?  There should be some armor unlocks that are achievement-tied for campaign, ranked multiplayer, social multiplayer, forge etc.  Entice people to dabble in each bit that Halo has to offer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I contend that there should be no armor locks.

oh dear i just threw up in my mouth alottabit and had to edit my post.  bad times

Do people here enjoy talkative chief or silent chief more?

Do people here enjoy talkative chief or silent chief more?

Less important plot points during gameplay, more talky Chief during cutscenes.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't get this. This is not only an extreme example/idea but one I still don't see an issue with, past 343i canonizing multiplayer. Like, oh no, you see someone using a skin you don't like. Is that REALLY an argument to get rid of options people may like? Because you just happen to see it and don't like it? Besides, the immersion argument's lost when UNSC personnel don't tend to customize their shit past their needs. Of the five base launch skins the AR had, the one you start off with is what they'd use. Not some fancy spiral skin, or a skin that's bright blue with orange and white stripes. They're not terrible skins by any means, but immersion would be lost the moment you see that. Or armor like Olive or Timmy. Which are obviously just fun little joke helmets 343i utilized in game with some cheeky backstory to them. But of course, it's not gonna have an impact if you just play the game for what it is over focusing on "muh immersion" which is an oddly Waypoint-type reason, when it shouldn't apply to multiplayer, but to campaign. Seeing this in campaign would be something to rally against. In multiplayer? Loosen up a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why not allow people the option of both? Let players have all their cosmetics and options but have an option to force default model on your own screen. I really liked this feature in quake, especially since some character models had crazy jumping animations making them harder to hit. It would be nice to be able to force model and remove your gun model as an option if wanted.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think there’s a line we can draw between creativity and intrusiveness. I have no issue with any skin in H5. Gears on the other hand? There are some skins that literally glow a neon color, and have an animation scripted into the skin itself. When you see someone with a solid neon pink glowing gnasher, it’s all you see. It’s even more ridiculous when General RAAM or Marcus is holding it. Or the “Color Blast” skins for the locust. They look like they just came from a hippie festival or something. If the art is both contradictory to the rest of the art style, AND it’s loud and intrusive as hell, I think that’s too far. That’s when skins get in the way.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think there’s a line we can draw between creativity and intrusiveness. I have no issue with any skin in H5. Gears on the other hand? There are some skins that literally glow a neon color, and have an animation scripted into the skin itself. When you see someone with a solid neon pink glowing gnasher, it’s all you see. It’s even more ridiculous when General RAAM or Marcus is holding it. Or the “Color Blast” skins for the locust. They look like they just came from a hippie festival or something. If the art is both contradictory to the rest of the art style, AND it’s loud and intrusive as hell, I think that’s too far. That’s when skins get in the way.

I don't get how that's intrusive, lol. It's just a bunch of whacky colors on character models. I use the color blast shit all the time since they actually have some unique flair to them. Same for the trippy skin sets. Doesn't affect anyone but me given you can see me coming a mile away in any mode where it matters. Then again, third person shooters will always have that problem, but that's a different convo. Again, not like multiplayer is canon and somehow taking itself super seriously. It's like Halo. You could argue that making the player's Spartan a bright pink or purple shade goes against any sense of art style and breaks it, given it contradicts every single thing about the established art style and where it comes from. But it doesn't. Sure doesn't get to me in FFA, or make me go "Wow, that breaks established rules in the universe and thus this color shouldn't exist as an option, just because it breaks rules that don't apply to this section of the game".

Basically, so what if they look like they came from a hippie festival. I love the colors on them, and they don't actually impact the game past a liking of it. Same applies to Halo. If someone wants bright pink and yellow for their character, who am I to stop them when I loosen up my universe consistency for the sake of a good multiplayer experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I draw the line at obvious animations on weapons. Things like the kill trackers or w/e on CS weapons are fine but if there were like a super neon green weapon with a ripple effect that might interfere with someones perception of movement or w/e that would have to go. Same with things like the armor effects in Reach that would cause frame rate drops or slightly obscure hitboxes. Colors and design wise I feel like everything is on the table with systems like that because you're just debating aesthetic choice and its inherently subjective. Just no animations that could impact how someone sees the gameplay

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like lots of options so long as they aren't extremely out of place and I don't think this is an unreasonable position to hold. Games like Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops had tons of weapon skins that were really cool but still fit the tone of the game and then CoD went nuts with Blops 2 and onwards. Halo Reach has tons of cosmetics and they all fit the tone of the game. Even Hayabusa was made to be reasonably in line with the Halo 3 armor aesthetic. If you have skins it should be stuff like colors, camos, patterns, and designs that aren't way out of line with the tone of the series... just my personal preference.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't get this. This is not only an extreme example/idea but one I still don't see an issue with, past 343i canonizing multiplayer. Like, oh no, you see someone using a skin you don't like. Is that REALLY an argument to get rid of options people may like? Because you just happen to see it and don't like it? Besides, the immersion argument's lost when UNSC personnel don't tend to customize their shit past their needs. Of the five base launch skins the AR had, the one you start off with is what they'd use. Not some fancy spiral skin, or a skin that's bright blue with orange and white stripes. They're not terrible skins by any means, but immersion would be lost the moment you see that. Or armor like Olive or Timmy. Which are obviously just fun little joke helmets 343i utilized in game with some cheeky backstory to them. But of course, it's not gonna have an impact if you just play the game for what it is over focusing on "muh immersion" which is an oddly Waypoint-type reason, when it shouldn't apply to multiplayer, but to campaign. Seeing this in campaign would be something to rally against. In multiplayer? Loosen up a bit.

Just because 343i has moronic ideas about what is and isn't immersive doesn't mean immersion in itself isn't still important.  It should apply to every aspect of the game where reasonable.

What is so hard to comprehend?  I don't like my immersion being shattered by skins that are completely out of place.  I can dislike a skin but still not be bothered by it so long as it's fitting.  You can have skins that stand out yet still adhere to the basic theme of the universe.

Having Olive or Timmy is one thing (worth pointing out they're relatively subtle too).  I don't really mind the occasional radical skin. The game being overflowing to the brim with skins that completely shit on any kind of recognizable theme is something different entirely.  It's never just one goofy skin.  The games always succumb to clown party extraordinaire and I despise it.

God forbid I want a game with a recognizable, consistent theme and an ounce of artistic integrity.  How pretentious of me.

Why not allow people the option of both? Let players have all their cosmetics and options but have an option to force default model on your own screen. I really liked this feature in quake, especially since some character models had crazy jumping animations making them harder to hit. It would be nice to be able to force model and remove your gun model as an option if wanted.

They wouldn't do it because it would cut into their sales.  The consumers would be pissed if other people could prevent themselves from seeing their "stand out" golden dildo gun.  But yes I do agree completely with this idea.

• Upvote (+1) 4