CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Paging Halo: Infinite marketing. There's no way MS isn't going to have Ninja and Shroud advertising Halo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Still against the score power up, as I said I prefer something that effects gunfights and gives the player an advantage that way, the downtime for KoTH or oddball could simply be fixed by ending the game once the losing team cannot come back anymore, shouldn't be hard to implement.

The two can coexist. What's more interesting to play - a KOTH game that ends with 1:15 still on the clock because blue team is down by 1:40 (or 100 points) and they are mathematically eliminated, or a game with that same scenario that has a score powerup coming at the 1:00 mark, as well as a new hill? If it's such a blowout that not even doubling a team's scoring rate in the hill for the full remaining time can give them a chance, then yeah by all means end it.

Seems like the idea of 2 tiers of overshields is something a lot of people agree on, I really don't know if they would even considere that, probably not but with different colors and glow it wouldn't be a no-go at all, if anything you give forgers more options to place the fitting OS into their map, 3x OS is probably a bit strong for 1v1 maps while 2x OS is pretty much a joke for 4v4 maps, esp. if you want lower TTK with the pistol.

14 hours ago, Basu said:
  •  
  • 2x and 3x OS that can be stacked

Just to clarify: I don't mean two separate OS objects, one with 2x and one with 3x. What I have in mind is one single overshield powerup, where the amount of layers can be changed by the player in forge (for just that one overshield, not for every single overshield on the map) up to some ridiculous amount like 10, just for shits and giggles. Allow the decay rate to be changed or disabled, even let the strength of each layer be adjustable.

Do this for all powerups. For camo, provide options to change the duration and cloaking quality, and maybe provide some options on what will temporarily break camo (firing, meleeing, throwing a grenade, etc). Or better yet, what weapons have quick camo. Damage boost could have options for duration and damage output (maybe the ability to adjust how much each weapon is affected?). Any other conceivable powerups, use your imagination.

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

yclVEIj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

To be perfectly honest, Halo 1 is my starting point when thinking about possible ideas for Halo. Why wouldn't it be? It's the best game in the series, yet it can also be improved. Sandbox wise it is free of fat and clutter and already contains everything we really need. There are maybe 2 weapons from more recent Halo games that I would consider hanging on to. Probably no vehicles or grenades that I'd keep aside from maybe the chopper. Otherwise, I want to add actual *new* weapons, grenades, and vehicles to what Halo 1 has to offer, not just reskinned assault rifles and rocket launchers, or covenant warthogs.

Halo 5 is a lost cause with a bad formula that's not worth trying to salvage or think about, even if it is the most recent game. I don't think Halo 3 can really be done better without sacrificing the accessibility that makes it so popular with so many people. Reach could probably be done better, only because of how much crack Bungie was smoking when they introduced insanely disruptive shit like armor lock and loadout camo with a straight face. With a more tasteful approach to armor abilities (even as loadouts) you might be able to conceive a decent little game, but why go there? 343 tried and shit themselves so bad they blew a hole in their jeans.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

On 10/23/2019 at 12:00 AM, TeeJaY said:

Teleportation grenade: you throw it and teleport to wherever it lands.

I missed this before (and for all I know you might be joking) but this might be crazy enough to work. I didn't like the deployable teleporter idea when it was presented as just a piece of equipment you drop in front of you and presto you've been teleported somewhere. But as a grenade, where you want to throw it across the map and ideally place it behind somebody, but you could also easily fuck it up and accidentally kill yourself... hmmmm. It'd be one of those things where you have to nail the details perfectly, otherwise it could be a mess.

Slow spawning, 1x quantity 'power grenades' would be tight. A one-off teleport with the physics of a grenade would be free highlight reel material.

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

Various limited fuel armor ability pick ups enhance movement.  

If advanced movement has to stay, I've always wanted them to take this route. Solid movement options like Thrust and Stabilize that have to be fought to be acquired and maintained the same way power weapons are.

Imagine how much more dynamic Halo 5 would have been if the moment-to-moment gameplay was about maintaining movement options like in Rocket League rather than hunting for weapon upgrades and snowballing with the sandbox.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Thruster pack as a powerup with battery would actually be sick. Rather than a full blown "until you die" powerup (which promotes defensive play) make it have a degrading charge like the Overshield. This makes it an offensive weapon and would be pretty cool as a powerup imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Have we not talked about that 1 or 2 pages ago?

Also the teleportation grenade you all are talking about is literally an enderpearl from minecraft, thank me later.

18 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

the teleportation grenade you all are talking about is literally an enderpearl from minecraft

I mean, there’s only so many ways to teleport the user via projectile.  

Grenade - automatically teleports user to the grenade’s location once it comes to a rest or hold button to throw grenade, release button to teleport to its current location (could even retain momentum) 

Weapon - fired projectile automatically teleports user to the point of impact 

Armor Ability - RB fires/recalls Translocator, LB teleports user to Translocator’s location 

• Like (+1) 1

DOOM 2016 MP had the personal teleporter. The user throws a frisbee kind of equipment and upon hitting the equipment button again he would teleport to that location. Super sick when combo'd with dual shotgun setup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, Basu said:

turning the sword into a fixed duration powerup 

A melee enhancing Power Up that increases lunge range and damage would solve the sword camping problem.  It would essentially allow players to dual wield a sword and another weapon for a limited duration.  I think it would play better than the sword itself.  

• Like (+1) 2

That's a really good idea, they would never get rid of the iconic sword in Halo so making it a power up you hold in the second hand is a good way to deal with it. 30 seconds sword time could also be something to combine with thrusters, but before everybody hates me again I will say that you would need to test that ofc.

But yeah keeping the main hand weapon available while having a sword sounds sick.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

A melee enhancing Power Up that increases lunge range and damage would solve the sword camping problem.  It would essentially allow players to dual wield a sword and another weapon for a limited duration.  I think it would play better than the sword itself.  

Yep thats exactly what I intended it to do. The sword is cool as a weapon but pretty much only used to hug corners and lock down rooms. 

On 10/20/2019 at 3:10 AM, Hully said:

Just for my own edification, what was the kill time of a perfect 4 shot in H2?

For more info, A quad shot is Faster than .6 

edit: im late. Dont change convo back to this lol

My idea for the sword was a bit different and perhaps a little off the reservation...

Basically I would revive the infinite ammo sword from H2 multi, and prevent the game from respawning it if there was already one on the map somewhere. But instead of H2's idiotic approach where the respawn timer is like 15 seconds after its dropped (and therefore only the team with possession knows when its coming back) I would have the game do a check every minute. If there's no sword already on the map or in anyone's possession, one will spawn on the even minute. If there is one already on the map, nothing will spawn on that minute. I believe you can already do something like this in H5 forge with scripting.

I would also bring back the Halo 1 (campaign) mechanic where if the sword was dropped, it would self destruct. But I wouldn't make it instant, I'd make it something like 3 seconds. That way, if you wanted to kill sword guy and recover his sword, you'd have to do it at close range.

10 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I would revive the infinite ammo sword from H2 multi

What is the reasoning behind this?  What type of gameplay are you trying to promote with this?

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What is the reasoning behind this?  What type of gameplay are you trying to promote with this?

Because I'm always interested in weapons that can direct map traffic, I want to bring back close quarters combat that doesn't just involve meleeing each other with ARs (excruciating to play), and I'm interested in a power weapon where the other team can't just wait out the ammo count. The sword is a good candidate for this, since there's precedent and it can't be used at range.

If you're gonna try and take this is an OMG CAMPING!!! direction, camping is a map problem, not a weapon problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Because I'm always interested in weapons that can direct map traffic, I want to bring back close quarters combat that doesn't just involve meleeing each other with ARs (excruciating to play), and I'm interested in a power weapon where the other team can't just wait out the ammo count. The sword is a good candidate for this, since there's precedent and it can't be used at range.

If you're gonna try and take this is an OMG CAMPING!!! direction, camping is a map problem, not a weapon problem.

What about akimbo sword rockets though? Lol nah but really I'm not sure melee combat in Halo has ever intentionally been good. Only the first two games managed to make cqc feel interesting because of bugs in the form of button combos. The "ideal" cqc combat we've seen in Halo after they fixed it has basically just been a mistake that isn't really fixed by the sword or any other cqc weapon thus far so I'm kind of scared of the unlimited sword idea

I'd be pretty interested in seeing how people feel about it that actually never played CE or H2 whatsoever. Maybe it just feels so boring and unsatisfying because those two experiences set the expectation for more for me

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

You’ll never be able to make a map where camping isn’t possible. Adding shit that encourages it just makes shit worse 

• Downvote (-1) 2

16 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

What about akimbo sword rockets though? 

If one player secured two power items, why shouldn’t he be able to use them?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

If one player secured two power items, why shouldn’t he be able to use them?  

I mean this doesn't apply to any combo but you def got me with this sword power up idea, would love to test that.

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

You’ll never be able to make a map where camping isn’t possible. Adding shit that encourages it just makes shit worse 

You make a lot of really bold claims man.

EDIT:  Yes, you can by the way.

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Camping will always be possible. Its a simple choice on the part of the player. The real concern is whether camping is advisable.

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You make a lot of really bold claims man.

EDIT:  Yes, you can by the way.

Dude I’ve played your maps on forge you didn’t accomplish any of that. I make these claims based on personal observation and experience, I play a lot of FPS games, so that’s where this comes from. Sure I obviously could be wrong, but i haven’t played any game that doesn’t give this ability.

• Downvote (-1) 3

13 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Camping will always be possible. Its a simple choice on the part of the player. The real concern is whether camping is advisable.

True, but gamers aren’t exactly honorable, so if they find a way to win or get kills they’ll do whatever. 

9 minutes ago, Arlong said:

True, but gamers aren’t exactly honorable, so if they find a way to win or get kills they’ll do whatever. 

Yeah, and if they decide that just sitting around with a sword is preferable to securing other weapons or powerups, that's their call.

22 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Dude I’ve played your maps on forge you didn’t accomplish any of that. I make these claims based on personal observation and experience, I play a lot of FPS games, so that’s where this comes from. Sure I obviously could be wrong, but i haven’t played any game that doesn’t give this ability.

Basically any game with non-recharging health ever means you can't hold down one location.

Most CE maps at a high level can't be locked down, Damnation might be the most egregious of the bunch with green room.