CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Would you rather be so forgettable that your posts are ignored?

Didn't say I would. I just think the unprovoked mentioning is always entertaining.

13 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Didn't say I would. I just think the unprovoked mentioning is always entertaining.

I am so bored at work help me

5 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Kind of like the crapdick self-aiming laser BFG argument that comes up in every power weapon discussion?

Boy, you must hate the sniper rifle and rocket launcher then. You wouldn't happen to be a member of a certain discord, would you?

okay i'm going to stop talking to you now

Larry is just mad that his dad hasn't been in a good movie in over a decade.

• Like (+1) 1

What do you think about allowing the Mauler to fire slugs?

Mauler 

RT semi automatically fires a consistent, uniform, rapidly expanding spread of 7 pellets that disappear once past close-medium range (molten pellets quickly fizzle out).  14 pellets kill, meaning 2 point blank shots (0.6 seconds) or 3 close range shots (1.2 seconds).  LT semi automatically fires projectiles that kill in 3 shots (1.2 seconds) with a headshot or 5 bodyshots (2.4 seconds).  Slugs begin dropping once past close-medium range.  

If all 7 pellets land, 1 primary fire shot followed by a melee is lethal and can be performed nearly instantly.  

On 10/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, Arlong said:

I read books all the time, you act as if everything you write is super intelligent or right every time. This is what Princess talked about before, when what you write isn’t the popular opinion it’s seen as ignorant or flawed, but if YOU were to write what you talk about anywhere else people would say the same to you. We are here, on team beyond because you know what you write isn’t like by the majority but you feel better that you’re among the minority that you see are smarter, more intelligent etc. oh I just realize I summarized basic western society.  
and I will not leave because it’s the most flawed, I’m here because this is a halo forum for those who like the classic halo experience even if we all like that experience for different or similar reasons. 

Not sure how liking H1 a lot has anything to do with saying “should of” instead of “should have” in every post. That was the only point of my last post, and I’m fully aware how that makes me look. I just cringe at the thought of a college essay or a cover letter getting submitted with could of’s and would of’s all over the page.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Not sure how liking H1 a lot has anything to do with saying “should of” instead of “should have” in every post. That was the only point of my last post, and I’m fully aware how that makes me look. I just cringe at the thought of a college essay or a cover letter getting submitted with could of’s and would of’s all over the page.

That’s the topic that you’re discussing though. Even if you don’t like it, don’t start a convo that basically requires those. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Okay, but the question. Who gives a shit how you write. If the point can still be made and seen, there's literally no tangible issue. This isn't college. Nor an MLA format essay. We don't need to criticize how people write, now. Just go after the point.

P.S: If this were college, or an essay as per your example, you'd write "Halo: Combat Evolved", fully italicized. Not "H1". 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Arlong really cops it around here. Now his grammar is being picked apart. Leave the poor guy alone he's just a Halo fan shooting the shit like the rest of us.

23 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Okay, but the question. Who gives a shit how you write. If the point can still be made and seen, there's literally no tangible issue. This isn't college. Nor an MLA format essay. We don't need to criticize how people write, now. Just go after the point.

P.S: If this were college, or an essay as per your example, you'd write "Halo: Combat Evolved", fully italicized. Not "H1". 

Are you implying that you have any semblance of an idea of what Arlong says?

Aside from spelling and grammer, the bigger travesty is you all ignoring @Warlord Wossman’s monster post.  Man can’t even get @Arlong to quote him with some nonsensical reply.  

On 10/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, Warlord Wossman said:

- The rate of fire for the sniper should be fast (something like CE or a little faster),
- Rocket launcher projectiles should be faster than in H5, make the rocket launcher a 1 hit melee kill so you have to blast yourself less often.
- The beam type weapon should have a little more damage and knockback so you can push people around.
- Shotgun should be a one hit kill for a decent range if you aim right on the enemy.
- Reach like grenade launcher with a lower waiting time until the player controls when it explodes.

- Overshield: Nice idea, kinda like armor in Quake games, but with a 4sk starter weapon I would give 3x OS instead of the 2x which currently seems to be the standard, also make it charge up instantly and only let the 3rd shield layer decay over time so the second layer has to be removed by enemies.
- Camo: Generally a nice power up, maybe the sound of the player holding it should be lowered including shooting sounds.
Power ups ideas I would like to see:
- Thrusters: Basically the H5 thrusters available for 30 seconds, make them faster so they can be used for movement, make it so the player can shoot while using them (in a good shooter almost nothing should mean you cannot shoot). Could even be combined with a slight jumpboost making it a general movement power up

Grenades should be weaker damage wise but faster to throw, maybe a slight radius increase so faster base movement doesn't counter them as much. 

A concussion grenade instead of the promethean thingy, not much damage but high knockback, can be used for player movement (nade jumps) without destroying your shields (close to 1 pistol hit max damage). Could also be the type of grenade people can use to launch weapons towards them if done right.

• Like (+1) 1

That "concussion grenade" I imagine is similar to a concussion rifle round hitting near your feet sounds like an amazing addition. Imagine a montage of popping people off the edge of maps with it. I'd like to think that it moves the flag/bomb as well, allowing for some interesting plays.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not a fan of the thrusters powerup idea. Mostly because thrusters should be purged from the franchise, but also I don't like something being billed as a powerup and classed with the OS and camo when the effect isn't constant, you choose when to deploy it and have to hit a button to do so. That's just an armor ability with a time limit.

What we need for new powerups is stuff that fits in the same box as OS and camo - activates immediately upon pickup, has a constant effect that can't be selectively activated or deactivated, and it lasts until either its timer runs out** or some other predetermined condition is met. And of course it has to be distinct from OS and camo, ideally to the point that you could place it on a map in addition to those two powerups without any overlap in purpose. Once again gonna plug the double score powerup.

**We should be able to set this in forge, too. Instead of being stuck with 30/45/60 second camo come hell or high water, let us alter the timer on the powerup ourselves depending on the needs of the map or gametype. Allow the powerups' visual to change depending how good it is/how long it lasts. Brighter = better (indicating longer timer and higher quality camo/more OS layers/whatever), duller = worse (short duration, only one layer of OS, etc).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Teleportation grenade: you throw it and teleport to wherever it lands. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shekkles said:

That "concussion grenade" I imagine is similar to a concussion rifle round hitting near your feet sounds like an amazing addition. Imagine a montage of popping people off the edge of maps with it. I'd like to think that it moves the flag/bomb as well, allowing for some interesting plays.

I hate that shit in OW because people just camp next to ledges all game and get a free instakill button every 6s. But if someone wants to deliberately go out of their way to collect concussion grenades and has the skill to hit people effectively to knock them off the map that would be sick. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Basu said:

I hate that shit in OW because people just camp next to ledges all game and get a free instakill button every 6s. But if someone wants to deliberately go out of their way to collect concussion grenades and has the skill to hit people effectively to knock them off the map that would be sick. 

I can see the twitch stream highlights now

@Boyo thanks for bringing it back up.

11 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Explosion on impact would make sense, the problem with the concussion rifle was the screen shaking and it did quite a lot of self damage, for the grenade I would like only a tiny bit of damage so it's more a utility with a very minor shield tax if you want to move around with it. If it should be able to move objectives, not sure, something that is hard to answer in theory and at the end of the day testing will tell if that's more a gimmick. I was thinking for weapons it would be very cool tho.

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Never touched OW but I get what you are saying, if most of my ideas get implemented camping would mean you are hurting your team tho, with stronger power weapons and power ups camping around only means you are not fighting for those giving the enemy team a higher chance to get them and destroy you with them.
I would compare your example to people camping with plasma nades around the corner trying to get a sticky kill, something that feels cheap when you die to it but at the end of the day they probably wasted a lot of time to get one kill and didn't help out their team during that time.

9 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I'm not a fan of the thrusters powerup idea. Mostly because thrusters should be purged from the franchise, but also I don't like something being billed as a powerup and classed with the OS and camo when the effect isn't constant, you choose when to deploy it and have to hit a button to do so. That's just an armor ability with a time limit.

What we need for new powerups is stuff that fits in the same box as OS and camo - activates immediately upon pickup, has a constant effect that can't be selectively activated or deactivated, and it lasts until either its timer runs out** or some other predetermined condition is met. And of course it has to be distinct from OS and camo, ideally to the point that you could place it on a map in addition to those two powerups without any overlap in purpose. Once again gonna plug the double score powerup.

**We should be able to set this in forge, too. Instead of being stuck with 30/45/60 second camo come hell or high water, let us alter the timer on the powerup ourselves depending on the needs of the map or gametype. Allow the powerups' visual to change depending how good it is/how long it lasts. Brighter = better (indicating longer timer and higher quality camo/more OS layers/whatever), duller = worse (short duration, only one layer of OS, etc).

Why should thrusters be purged from the franchise? I get that they are currently a bit odd, as I said I don't think it should mean you lower your weapon.
Also nobody said power ups have to be passive stat buffs, the reason only OS and camo really work is because other flat stat buffs like movement speed or damage boost don't work too well with the game, if we want more variety you have to take what works in the sandbox, and active power ups could be the way to do this rather than going "duh, it was not in CE" or calling it an armor ability, armor abilities were broken because there was no limited time you had them and you spawned with them, not just because they are activated by a button press. Don't get me wrong I dislike most of them but for me it sounds like a 30 seconds power up giving you thrusters doesn't violate the equal spawn equipment Halo should always have and puts the person on a timer so they have to use it just like the other (passive) power ups the game has, otherwise it's gone.

Double score power up sounds like a bad idea game design wise, if I understand correctly you get 2 points in slayer for getting one kill? Would you also get 2 flag captures when you cap the flag with this power up? Not sure but even in slayer no power up should influence the score this directly, you want to give the player a sort of buff (active or passive) that he can feel while playing the game, altering some ingame value that effects gunfights, because that is the bread and butter of the game, applying a math transformation to scores sounds like 343 hired a dev from a trading card game.

And I see what you mean with camo times, the problem here is that consistency is good for competitive games, all the big competitive titles have those things locked down so a spectator not playing the game actively doesn't get confused if the camo lasts 25 seconds or 40 seconds, that said weapon times are already not clear and as a forger (and level designer for other titles on PC) I like having control about all the values. Good competitive settings should have some sort of consistency across maps tho, not because it's hard to learn for the players but we don't want to throw the ability for spectating out of the window, it's already a shame that the default setting have been so different from what we want to play in more serious modes, imagine games like OW, CS:GO or LoL having differences this big from casual <-> competitive, I doubt so many people would watch their esports streams because it would look like an entirely different game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

@Warlord Wossman

A Thruster pick up could be placed on a map, and treated like a Power Up, fought over and used to gain an advantage, but it is not a Power Up.  Power ups activate on pick up and don’t require any button presses to operate.  Not saying I am against movement enhancing pick ups though, quite the opposite in fact.  

I agree about not being a fan of the double score power up.  It takes all the fun out of it.  Power ups should enhance the player which naturally allows him to more rapidly increase the score.  

I also agree about consistency.  There shouldn’t be multiple variations of the same power up.  Camo is Camo.  The one exception is there should be two Overshield power ups, 2x and 3x, with different color models and auras.  I like what you said about only the top layer of the OS decaying.  This adds a distinction between the 2x and 3x OS.  The 2x will decay down to nothing where the 3x will still leave you with a 2x even after decay.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well okay if everybody else says it's not a power up if it has an activation key I don't want to play the definition game here, my point was mainly that it's a map pickup and once you pick it up the 30 seconds tick down to encourage doing something with it over passive play. I don't see too many power ups next to camo and OS working, the two types of OS would be okay, totally agree on different colors tho.

Generally the disk maps in H5 have very bad visibility, sure they look nice but they are so loaded with light effects and detail that it's hard to see people most of the time, I would prefer a game that focuses more on the basics again when it comes to being a shooter, but that's not too viable these days I assume.

The Monitor is an unconventional vehicle that acts like combination of Speedboost, Damage Boost, and Body Armor.  Holding X while next to 343 Guilty Spark teleports the player inside of the small, hovering sphere.  While inside, LT fires a Sentinel Beam and RT fires an unscoped Light Rifle.  Base movement speed is increased to 120%.  

The Monitor’s smaller model allows it to travel through holes and windows that Spartans cannot fit through.  Crouching drops the Monitor from head height to hovering just above the ground, allowing it to travel through mouse holes and doggy doors that Spartans cannot.  Because it hovers above the ground, it has a natural damage resistance against explosions.  Because it doesn’t have a body, it has a natural immunity to bodyshots but the Monitor’s face has decreased damage resistance. 

Thruster as an on map power up seems like a waste of time to me. An ability pick up needs to be worth the effort and thruster doesn't seem like it. When everyone has it, sure it'll have an effect on the game. But if only one person has it who even gives a shit?

Also somewhat unrelated but has anyone here ever floated the idea of on map ammo types for guns? Like you can pick up bouncy rounds or something, or shield vampirism rounds. I don't know if they'd be fun to play with but I just had the thought but I'm like 80% sure it's been discussed here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1