CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Bold prediction: Halo Infinite will feature a $40 campaign if you want to purchase it and a free to play multiplayer with purchasable cosmetics.

aka the Fortnite model. But it’s been working for a reason.

id be cool with that honestly

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bold prediction: Halo Infinite will feature a $40 campaign if you want to purchase it and a free to play multiplayer with purchasable cosmetics.

That ain't gunna happen now MS has gamepass.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry, did this somehow respond to what I said? I missed it. I agree with what the video is saying though.

Had the player thrust and slid out of the base as I said then they would have been there faster than the player on the Halo 2 screen.

The two weapons function the same exact way, gameplay wise. The next game should consolidate them into one weapon, let it be the starting weapon, and idgaf which skin/gun model it is. Let people choose whether they want it to look like a pistol or DMR, it's gonna function the exact same either way. Personally I feel like we can avoid a lot of headaches if we use a DMR model by default, but I think a pistol model should be an available alternative.

Now that I'm thinking about it, alternate gun models/sounds would make for some awesome unlocks. Like we could unlock the H2 or H3 BR and use that look and sound, but the actual mechanics of the BR would remain exactly the same. Same with sniper, rockets, whatever.

In fact, just make the BR one of the starting weapon skins, but make the burst so fast it functions the same as the single shot starting weapon. Aesthetics are all people really care about anyways when it comes to the BR. I feel like most BR advocates don't really think burst is better than single shot. They just like the aesthetics of the gun and have a strong sense of nostalgia towards it.

Quake Champions does this. You can unlock the models from older Quake games, but the weapons function exactly the same.

Hell, in some arena FPS you can just turn off the gun model completely.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Please Microsoft. Please. And not from the Windows 10 Store..

• Upvote (+1) 2

Please Microsoft. Please. And not from the Windows 10 Store..

That ain't gunna happen now MS has gamepass.

I mean they could go both ways.  If you have gamepass, its "free", if not it's cash money single player, free multiplayer.  I expect it will be a full-priced game though if you don't have game pass.  What they really need to do is sell it in the windows store and on steam and let those players play together.  Steam, you only get the game on PC, windows store you get it on both.

They'd be lunatics to abandon the REQ model. H5 had no business giving them that kind of revenue, and yet it did. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The makers of all those 50+ REQ pack opening videos have hopefully reevaluated their life choices since then.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The makers of all those 50+ REQ pack opening videos have hopefully reevaluated their life choices since then.

They probably played Fifa beforehand and that it would be a similar reward. Turns out nothing in REQ packs were as exciting as getting a team of the week Ronaldo.

They'd be lunatics to abandon the REQ model. H5 had no business giving them that kind of revenue, and yet it did.

As far as I can tell, the req system handicapped their money making potential...

Just all around poorly implemented.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As far as I can tell, the req system handicapped their money making potential...

Just all around poorly implemented.

Not when they put an insanely limited amount of resources into making that system (or at least I sure as hell hope that's the reason). Do cheap work, get paid way more money than you're worth. 

Not when they put an insanely limited amount of resources into making that system (or at least I sure as hell hope that's the reason). Do cheap work, get paid way more money than you're worth.

I’m saying they can do cheap work and get even more money if the system isn’t implemented in a poor manner.

I’m saying they can do cheap work and get even more money if the system isn’t implemented in a poor manner.

Let's not expect 343 to be run cheaply and efficiently. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's not expect 343 to be run cheaply and efficiently.

I expect them to spend extra money making the system worse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I expect them to spend extra money making the system worse.

They just over design things and make absurd mistakes like not being able to expand to however many skins they want to add later with H5. Just look at the "art" style they used for most of their skins too. Its like they just set out to make everything super ugly even including most of the rare skins. Who even wants to buy something that looks terrible? Lol.

I've made this example before but this is how you make a skin people like

Vulcan.jpg

and this is what 343 makes most of the time

chuck-byas-monstrous-br-weapon-skin-chuc

They just take good ideas and fall down the rabbit hole of tweaking and changing until they've abandoned the reason people wanted things like skins to begin with. All the mobility options and changes are another good example. Same with aiming from beta to live H5. Someone just has to pull the plug once something is in a good place so that they don't spend more time tweaking it until its ruined.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's 2018 and I still don't know what the fuck squirrely means.

I wouldn't use either.

I hate weapon skins in most games.  They usually look completely gharish and unfitting to the game they're in.

This and this stand out from the default look and from traditional weapon camouflage, but they still look reasonable. Nice, subtle skins with the main colors being typical gun colors and flashy colors only used for accenting. I'd even say something like this is still within reason.

Meanwhile what the fuck is this, this, this or this?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't use either.

I hate weapon skins in most games.  They usually look completely gharish and unfitting to the game they're in.

This and this stand out from the default look and from traditional weapon camouflage, but they still look reasonable. Nice, subtle skins with the main colors being typical gun colors and flashy colors only used for accenting. I'd even say something like this is still within reason.

Meanwhile what the fuck is this, this, this or this?

Gears of War is the worst offender of this. Neon, glowing, animated weapon skins. It ruins what is otherwise an awesome art style and atmosphere. That game really needs to reign it in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm expecting them to one-up themselves and give us armor skins beyond what they did in H5, so pizza themed helmet and body armor is in the works.

Skins are fucking stupid looking. I've hated them ever since the first MW.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It’s not even the ugliness of the skins that’s most problematic. It’s the sheer lack of a sense of accomplishment when RNG is the only method of unlocking content. People will proudly rock an ugly/flamboyant skin if it actually represents completing a challenge or participating in an event. Games that have attractive cosmetics can get away with lazy systems like H5s, but to tie ugly content behind a joyless RNG grind is going to limit the number of people willing to engage with the system.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The best skin in Halo 5 is the lime green one. I want more bright coloured skins that look out of place.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It’s not even the ugliness of the skins that’s most problematic. It’s the sheer lack of a sense of accomplishment when RNG is the only method of unlocking content. People will proudly rock an ugly/flamboyant skin if it actually represents completing a challenge or participating in an event. Games that have attractive cosmetics can get away with lazy systems like H5s, but to tie ugly content behind a joyless RNG grind is going to limit the number of people willing to engage with the system.

Well yeah my post was coming from the direction of monetizing the skins. If they wanted a sense of accomplishment they need to highlight basically everything they've ever done and press delete when it comes to skins. Really the only thing I can think of that this was done well with would be like Recon/Hayabusa armor in H3. Maybe you could argue some of Reach's stuff or Achilles in H5 but imo they had so much and the grind took so long that it was watered down. One of the biggest missteps they make in that regard is having so much armor that nothing is particularly recognizable or stands out. Random ugly pieces collected somewhere along the way end up becoming more rare to see than the prestigious unlocks. Fewer but more distinct armor sets is how you ensure that people recognize what they're seeing and that in turn helps drive the prestige when you lock it behind something exceptional