CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

45 minutes ago, Basu said:

Do people seriously believe that Infinite will be void of all these movement gimmicks and other 343 nonsense? Where is that coming from? The classic art style is just pandering to trick people yet another time into buying a game because it says HALO on the box. This community is honestly not much different from the CoD community sometimes, just that we're getting fucked over every 3 (or 5 lmaooo) years instead of annually. 

It's less about believing Infinite will be devoid of gimmicky mechanics, and more of a hope and a prayer that 343 can trim the fat and get rid of those things that the community has been complaining about since 2010. I'm not optimistic, if I'm honest with myself I think they're going to make the mistake of building off of Halo 5. If anything the fact that 343 trendchases so hard, and "advanced" movement is no longer trendy could possibly (but probably not) be the saving grace for Infinite. I wish they'd just show gameplay already, I'm sick of waiting.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Hully said:

It's less about believing Infinite will be devoid of gimmicky mechanics, and more of a hope and a prayer that 343 can trim the fat and get rid of those things that the community has been complaining about since 2010. I'm not optimistic, if I'm honest with myself I think they're going to make the mistake of building off of Halo 5. If anything the fact that 343 trendchases so hard, and "advanced" movement is no longer trendy could possibly (but probably not) be the saving grace for Infinite. I wish they'd just show gameplay already, I'm sick of waiting.

So what’s the latest trend.

If we compromise, 343 will just use it as an excuse to compromise between our compromise and their fucked up version anyway. 

Dont compromise. If they ever visit this forum, they better not ever be able to see we support restricted movement in any way. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

So what’s the latest trend.

I don't know, pandering to the Chinese government I guess. Honestly if 343 wanted to be trendy and sneak in a little Easter egg about supporting freedom for Hong Kong I'd be fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Riddler said:

If we compromise, 343 will just use it as an excuse to compromise between our compromise and their fucked up version anyway. 

Dont compromise. If they ever visit this forum, they better not ever be able to see we support restricted movement in any way. 

Yeah but I've noticed this forum does a complete 180 and kisses the ass of any 343 employee that comes around here.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Yeah but I've noticed this forum does a complete 180 and kisses the ass of any 343 employee that comes around here.

Every time. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

That's not entirely true. Some people do that but there's a big difference between being respectful and just kissing ass. Many people seem incapable of making the distinction. You don't have to aggressively tell someone they're stupid when you don't agree just like you don't have to agree to be nice. Every time someone crosses that line and whoever it is gives them a reason to make the topic about people being rude rather than about the game or design decisions. That's what actually happens every single time and that's why there's such an easy cop out to ignore people here. Yeah they're soft as fuck for that but that's just what happens

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

45 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

That's not entirely true. Some people do that but there's a big difference between being respectful and just kissing ass. Many people seem incapable of making the distinction. You don't have to aggressively tell someone they're stupid when you don't agree just like you don't have to agree to be nice. Every time someone crosses that line and whoever it is gives them a reason to make the topic about people being rude rather than about the game or design decisions. That's what actually happens every single time and that's why there's such an easy cop out to ignore people here. Yeah they're soft as fuck for that but that's just what happens

They don't fucking deserve a nice nice Conversation. They're fucking incompetent. And should have it thrown in their face. It's not MY problem if they're incapable of embracing Resent and turning themselves into gold out of it. they've fucking butchered every limb of this Franchise. if they Butcher it more because im mean to them I get to fucking laugh in their face.

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

55 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Every time someone crosses that line and whoever it is gives them a reason to make the topic about people being rude rather than about the game or design decisions.

That ratio is about 10:1 at absolute worst

They've always come to this forum to peddle whatever current-events bullshit is on their morning meeting handout, nothing else. Postums does a decent job listening on Discord, but here? Historically? Nothing. 

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Vyrst said:

They don't fucking deserve a nice nice Conversation. They're fucking incompetent. And should have it thrown in their face. It's not MY problem if they're incapable of embracing Resent and turning themselves into gold out of it. they've fucking butchered every limb of this Franchise. if they Butcher it more because im mean to them I get to fucking laugh in their face.

Pretty much how it feels to be a Halo fan.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Pretty much how it feels to be a Halo fan.

Damn, people here give em hella shit huh?  

1 hour ago, Vyrst said:

See lol

• Like (+1) 3

Theres more of a chance of jesus raising from the dead thana 343 dev finding the block button apparently. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think if a true compromise would be to keep armor abilities but as map pick ups only. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

Damn, people here give em hella shit huh?  

Sometimes. Mostly it's just "Dad please notice me".

"Dad don't leave."

• Fire (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Riddler said:

Way to leave room for nuance.  A Dino Blasters gametype has no effect on tournament settings.  Halo absolutely should have enhanced movement, just not as base traits in the tournament playlist.  Infection absolutely should have access to Evade for Zombies.  Action sack should have access to Jetpacks for Dino Blasters.  

Action Sack in H3 was way more fun and innovative than the bullshit we were fed in recent games, aside from H5's improvements and scripting. You can just set gravity to 25% and increase jump height instead of wasting 100000 dev hours on programming, animating, testing and doing sound design for nonsense like AAs just to shove them into a niche gametype in a niche playlist.

• Fire (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Basu said:

Action Sack in H3 was way more fun and innovative than the bullshit we were fed in recent games, aside from H5's improvements and scripting. You can just set gravity to 25% and increase jump height instead of wasting 100000 dev hours on programming, animating, testing and doing sound design for nonsense like AAs just to shove them into a niche gametype in a niche playlist.

There was a fiesta gametype where everyone had jetpacks, bottomless clips, and reduced gravity.  The map was the inside of a giant sphere.  You would fly around and try to direct hit other midair players.  

Everyone talks about “the good ole days” of Halo 2 customs.  Want to get that back?  Allow players to make awesome custom games.  Armor Abilities, in conjunction with modified base traits, are a great way to create wacky gametypes.  Infection and SWAT used to be wacky custom gametypes and are now multiplayer staples.  

You guys talking about not wanting movement abilities AT ALL is literally the same thing as that waypoint thread where a causal player wanted radar in competitive gametypes.  

I'm not advocating for less custom game options, quite the opposite. Like I said, scripting is awesome. More custom game options like reload speed, individual damage modifiers etc? Awesome. But creating an entire class of game mechanics just for wacky modes? Waste of dev time. Besides, the developers are nowhere near as creative as the community as a whole so I'd rather they give US the toolkit, in the spirit of the custom power (RIP to that great idea too) instead of giving us a few hard-coded mechanics like sprint, jetpack and hologram that are ultimately not gonna be as useful.

There are only so many ways to increase base movement speed (speed, duration, vector).  I would rather have some Armor Abilities to start with, that can then be tweaked with modifiers.  

For example, Thruster’s direction of movement is determined by the direction of the Left Thumbstick.  Gravity Gauntlet’s direction of movement is determined by the location of the user’s reticle.  Even if these two abilities moved the user the same distance at the same speed, they are fundamentally different because of their different limitations.  Thruster can only move in horizontal directions but the direction of movement is independent from the direction of aim (can thrust left while aiming forward).  Gravity Gauntlet can move in any direction but it’s always the direction the user is aiming.  

Neither of these movement abilities need to disable the player’s ability to attack.  Neither of them move the player far enough to break map design if they were pick ups.  

Yeah, let’s not spend dev time coding in abilities exclusively for action sack. So many better things that time could be spent on. 

12 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Yeah, let’s not spend dev time coding in abilities exclusively for action sack. So many better things that time could be spent on. 

Don’t you think an Invasion game mode could use movement abilities in large scale, asymmetric battles?

And what would you choose to spend that extra time on?

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Don’t you think an Invasion game mode could use movement abilities in large scale, asymmetric battles?

And what would you choose to spend that extra time on?

They could and I wouldn’t care. They also would be just fine without them too. 

Well considering how Halo 5 launched. Basic game modes that have launched with every halo and forge on release. Perhaps a functioning theater/spectator mode. An aiming system that doesn’t require pros constantly hitting the start menu mid game to “fix” aiming during a livestream. A customs browser on launch would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Different Invasion gametypes feature playable Spartans, Elites, Brutes, and Prometheans.  Each species has unique movement abilities.  They are controlled by the Bumpers and the Jump button.  

Spartans can Sprint and Thrust with the bumpers.  Jump while airborne activates Jetpack.  

Elites can Evade with LB.  Similar to Evading on the ground, LB while airborne performs a horizontal flip in the desired direction.  RB activates a temporary Speedboost.  The Jump button, while airborne and next to a wall, performs a Wall Kick that propels the player upward and away from the wall.  

Brutes can activate Gravity Boots and the Gravity Gauntlet with the bumpers.  Gravity Boots quickly propel the player upwards, like a personal Gravity Lift.  The Gravity Gauntlet quickly propels the player in the direction of his reticle.  The Jump button, while airborne and at a sufficient altitude, performs a Ground Strike, quickly lunging downward in the direction of the user’s reticle, damaging the impacted target.  

Prometheans can deploy the Hoverboard and Glider with the bumpers.  Hoverboard increases forward movement speed on the ground.  Glider increases forward movement speed in the air.  The Jump button performs a T-Boost that instantly teleports the player upward a short distance (hold to hover).  

The only time the player’s ability to attack is disabled is during a Ground Strike and during the first half of Evade (while you’re flipping). 

Hot take: Invasion would play 10x better with no AAs an no bloom too. NR/PR and DMR/AR starts are fairly balanced, get rid of all the loadouts. Add in Promethean Soldiers with LR/Supressor starts if you have to but honestly the entire Promethean sandbox could just be axed. 

• Like (+1) 3