CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

That is pretty cool. I love custom games for that kind of stuff. Just not matchmaking...

if they're using the Elite Controller, chances are there are extra buttons vital to movement that you want to utilize so you don't have to take fingers off the thumbstick, Infinite is 'enhanced' movement lads and laddettes, fuck. 

Can we collectively start referring to enhanced movement as restricted movement? Because that's exactly what it is.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Hully said:

Can we collectively start referring to enhanced movement as restricted movement? Because that's exactly what it is.

What if they didn’t disable your ability to attack while using them?

4 minutes ago, Hully said:

That's why I use 'enhanced' movement

15 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

That's why I use 'enhanced' movement

I call it map-splat movement. Because all the maps have been splatted. By the movement.

I have a theory that all of the abilities were added in an effort to turn Halo 5 into a flashy eSports title. Do you guys remember all of the eSports talk pre-launch? That's what they were hyping it up to be. This is also the reason they made the sniper so piss easy. They designed the game to be a spectacle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What if they didn’t disable your ability to attack while using them?

Then they'd be redundant. The whole premise of "aDvAnCeD mOVeMeNt" is making a choice between movement and combat, which is why it's so inherently flawed in the context of Halo. Bring back actual advanced movement by allowing the player to have 100% freedom of movement and 100% freedom of combat, 100% of the time. Not to mention by doing so, drastically improving the potential for quality map design.

23 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I call it map-splat movement. Because all the maps have been splatted. By the movement.

Here is some rare footage of 343s map designers:

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hully said:

Then they'd be redundant.

The Sword is a pick up that enhances melee, increasing lunge and damage.  What’s the problem with a pick up that enhances movement, temporarily increasing base movement speed in some direction?

20 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

I have a theory that all of the abilities were added in an effort to turn Halo 5 into a flashy eSports title. Do you guys remember all of the eSports talk pre-launch? That's what they were hyping it up to be. This is also the reason they made the sniper so piss easy. They designed the game to be a spectacle. 

Man the Halo 5 sniper is embarrassing to watch. Reticule is 15m away and it hits the head. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Man the Halo 5 sniper is embarrassing to watch. Reticule is 15m away and it hits the head. 

A cleaner, quicker strafe acts both to buff the Sniper by making strafe aiming more effective and to nerf the sniper by making strafing more effective.  I’m convinced that Halo’s base movement speed needs to be faster and more responsive to allow a console game to have skillfull and balanced arena style sniping.  

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A cleaner, quicker strafe acts both to buff the Sniper by making strafe aiming more effective and to nerf the sniper by making strafing more effective.  I’m convinced that Halo’s base movement speed needs to be faster and more responsive to allow a console game to have skillfull and balanced arena style sniping.  

Generally my ideal Halo is:

The movement of Halo 2, the art of Halo 3, the guns of Halo 1 and the UI of Halo: Reach. Not verbatim obviously, just as a groundwork.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Generally my ideal Halo is:

The movement of Halo 2, the art of Halo 3, the guns of Halo 1 and the UI of Halo: Reach. Not verbatim obviously, just as a groundwork.

I’m speaking more generally but I believe effective strafing is necessary for descope to function properly.  Without it, fighting from descoped becomes too difficult.  Descope provides a forward advantage but this forward advantage can be nullified by side to side movement, where a player gets hit, dodges incoming shots, rescopes, and descopes the enemy who hit him.  A vital component of being able to turn that situation around was the player’s ability to juke.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I’m speaking more generally but I believe effective strafing is necessary for descope to function properly.  Without it, fighting from descoped becomes too difficult.  Descope provides a forward advantage but this forward advantage can be nullified by side to side movement, where a player gets hit, dodges incoming shots, rescopes, and descopes the enemy who hit him.  A vital component of being able to turn that situation around was the player’s ability to juke.  

Definitely. Unfortunately strafe is nerfed even harder by 343's obsession with bullet magnetism.

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

The Sword is a pick up that enhances melee, increasing lunge and damage.  What’s the problem with a pick up that enhances movement, temporarily increasing base movement speed in some direction?

A sword isn't advanced movement, it's a power weapon. Power weapons always grant one shot potential in varying ways. I have no problem with power weapons, I have a problem with sprint, thrust, clamber, ground pound, spartan charge, hover, and any of the dumb stuff from Reach and H4. 

3 minutes ago, Hully said:

A sword isn't advanced movement, it's a power weapon. Power weapons always grant one shot potential in varying ways. I have no problem with power weapons, I have a problem with sprint, thrust, clamber, ground pound, spartan charge, hover, and any of the dumb stuff from Reach and H4. 

Do you have a problem with Brute shot jumping?  

31 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you have a problem with Brute shot jumping?  

I don't know really, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it in multiplayer. I don't think I've ever done it outside of campaign. What does this have to do with "advanced" movement?

5 minutes ago, Hully said:

I don't know really, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it in multiplayer. I don't think I've ever done it outside of campaign. What does this have to do with "advanced" movement?

A Bruteshot is a on map pick up that gives the user the ability to perform “advanced movement”.  If you didn’t have a problem with that, I don’t see it as a far leap to say you also wouldn’t have a problem with a Jump Boots pick up that increases your jump height for a few jumps.  Would you have a problem with Jump Boots?

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A Bruteshot is a on map pick up that gives the user the ability to perform “advanced movement”.  If you didn’t have a problem with that, I don’t see it as a far leap to say you also wouldn’t have a problem with a Jump Boots pick up that increases your jump height for a few jumps.  Would you have a problem with Jump Boots?

Lol, obviously. The brute shot has never been included in competitive settings, and even in standard matchmaking isn't available on a lot of maps and gametypes. Also, like 99.% of the playerbase doesn't use it as a device to gain verticality, and those that do are sacrificing a weapon slot to use it, and damaging themselves in the process. So to draw a parallel, the only way I wouldn't have a problem with them was unless the jump boots were a banned competitive item, and only used on selective maps and gametypes, and the vast majority of the population didn't use them to gain height, and they damaged you during use, and they took up a weapon slot, and they were super loud. Saying you can do "advanced movement" with the brute shot, therefore how about jumpy boy boots is like saying because grenade jumps are possible we should have jumpy boy boots. No thanks.

9 minutes ago, Hully said:

Lol, obviously. The brute shot has never been included in competitive settings, and even in standard matchmaking isn't available on a lot of maps and gametypes. Also, like 99.% of the playerbase doesn't use it as a device to gain verticality, and those that do are sacrificing a weapon slot to use it, and damaging themselves in the process. So to draw a parallel, the only way I wouldn't have a problem with them was unless the jump boots were a banned competitive item, and only used on selective maps and gametypes, and the vast majority of the population didn't use them to gain height, and they damaged you during use, and they took up a weapon slot, and they were super loud. Saying you can do "advanced movement" with the brute shot, therefore how about jumpy boy boots is like saying because grenade jumps are possible we should have jumpy boy boots. No thanks.

So, a pick up that makes you invisible is cool but a pick up that makes you jump higher isn’t?  Jumping higher is so powerful that it needs to be balanced with noise and damage but invisibility needs none of these drawbacks?  Is jumping higher more powerful than invisibility?  

• Fire (+1) 2

For one thing, cloak doesn't make you invisible, just harder to spot. For another, we've already played a game with a verticality gaining item as a map pickup with Reach, and most people didn't like it, myself included. Cloak doesn't inherently change the dynamic of how maps play or can be built, verticality items do. I mean obviously I'd rather have it as a pickup item than an ability, but just because an item is a map pickup doesn't stop it from being broken. See Halo 3 with bubbles, regens, and energy drainers. 

2 minutes ago, Hully said:

For one thing, cloak doesn't make you invisible, just harder to spot. For another, we've already played a game with a verticality gaining item as a map pickup with Reach, and most people didn't like it, myself included. Cloak doesn't inherently change the dynamic of how maps play or can be built, verticality items do. I mean obviously I'd rather have it as a pickup item than an ability, but just because an item is a map pickup doesn't stop it from being broken. See Halo 3 with bubbles, regens, and energy drainers. 

Was Grav Lift broken?

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Was Grav Lift broken?

That's not a fair comparison, considering grav lifts are used in set, unchanging locations, and are part of the design of the map. People know where grav lifts are, and can predict and outplay their use. If I had a map pickup that let me use a grav lift wherever and whenever I wanted, then yes, I'd say that's broken.

7 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

if they're using the Elite Controller, chances are there are extra buttons vital to movement that you want to utilize so you don't have to take fingers off the thumbstick, Infinite is 'enhanced' movement lads and laddettes, fuck. 

Do people seriously believe that Infinite will be void of all these movement gimmicks and other 343 nonsense? Where is that coming from? The classic art style is just pandering to trick people yet another time into buying a game because it says HALO on the box. This community is honestly not much different from the CoD community sometimes, just that we're getting fucked over every 3 (or 5 lmaooo) years instead of annually. 

• Like (+1) 4