CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Needler 

RT automatically fires non-homing projectiles that kill in 16 shots (1.0 seconds).  LT semi automatically fires a hitscan shot that kills in 5 shots with a headshot (2.0 seconds).  In addition to dealing damage, alt fire shots temporarily mark their impacted target, be it player, vehicle, or object (marking a second target removes the first mark).  Primary fire projectiles will curve towards a marked target, regardless of their current trajectory. 

ImpracticalColorfulHousefly-size_restric

I actually thought of an alternative fire for the Needler that was inspired by Overwatch's Mei.

Needler fires normally, but can fire a charged over sized, straight traveling needle with head shot capability. This shot costs more ammo, but greatly increases the Needler's range. When the round lands on a target, it acts as a homing spot for the Needler that overrides its line of sight and range tracking limitations for normal firing.

3 charged shots that land on target can also super combine explode to a greater degree than normal, and has greater anti-vehicle/crowd control ability, but costs an entire magazine to achieve.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 4

EDIT: Apparently the one leaving may not have been intended to be a long term replacement for the first guy and is leaving to work with her old studio head. So this could very well be just normal shuffling around and there were arguments made when the first guy left that it's not unusual for creative leads to leave so late into the development cycle of a game because their work is done.

The replacement creative director for Inifinite has left 343 after only two months on the job.

I feel like 343 has painted themselves into a corner in many ways, creatively speaking.  They have missed rising trends, while pursuing dying fads, and each time, rather than stepping back and course correcting, really looking at the thought processes that lead to those design decisions, they seemingly make the same mistakes all over again.  

By this point, even modern Halo is old hat.  I think the only way that Halo is ever going to thrive again is with a real reworking of many of its core mechanics and established weapons.  Halo has such a vast universe surrounding it that I feel like there is a fear of change that forces designers into inaction and that inaction eventually manifests itself as changes that are inoffensive to the universe but offensive to gameplay.  

First and foremost, Halo is a game and a large part of that game’s persona is the online multiplayer.  We need a fast, fun, game that still strives towards the same ideals as classic Halo but introduces changes that bring its gameplay into the next generation.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

All i'm thinking right now is i desperately want this to not matter and i want this game to be good and quality and polished and if people leaving causes it to be subpar i want them to delay it, I don't care about 'lol 343 sucks' or whatever i just want a good Halo game and i really want this one to be it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

The more people that leave that clearly don't have a passion for the franchise the better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Killmachine said:

All i'm thinking right now is i desperately want this to not matter and i want this game to be good and quality and polished and if people leaving causes it to be subpar i want them to delay it, I don't care about 'lol 343 sucks' or whatever i just want a good Halo game and i really want this one to be it 

Doubt it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mow said:

The more people that leave that clearly don't have a passion for the franchise the better.

it could be the others pushing them out though. if I joined 343 and 90% of people wanted sprintyboi halo, it would be hard for me to stay knowing all my work is going to be ignored or changed away from my liking. 

If they pushed out frank o connor, that would really be time to celebrate. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Riddler said:

it could be the others pushing them out though. if I joined 343 and 90% of people wanted sprintyboi halo, it would be hard for me to stay knowing all my work is going to be ignored or changed away from my liking. 

This is a very real thing. I interned for a company that shall not be named once upon a time and sitting in the office and listening to them more or less make light of their hardcore/intelligent player's suggestions and the disdain many of the devs had for them pretty much is the reason I never pursued anything in game design specifically (easier/more money out there too in the same field away from games). I'm sure its not always that way but I'm also sure that those sentiments aren't exactly uncommon either.

I would have just never been comfortable trying to push a product to people knowing that many people working on the game were more concerned with something like their own creative vision rather than making the game that the players wanted to enjoy which could be a pretty divisive subject that I'm sure many people fall on both sides of and its likely one of the more challenging aspects of game design

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

Sage is the true savior of Halo.

Remember that?

Remember Reach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

Dealing damage fills the Power Glove’s meter.  Once full, Up on the D pad activates a 10 second enhancement of the user’s equipped weapon.  The Magnum kills in one less shot.  Rockets release a secondary cluster of explosives.  The Plasma Pistol homes in on enemies.  

Flag Captures and Assassinations instantly fill the meter. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Dealing damage fills the Power Glove’s meter.  Once full, Up on the D pad activates a 10 second enhancement of the user’s equipped weapon.  The Magnum kills in one less shot.  Rockets release a secondary cluster of explosives.  The Plasma Pistol homes in on enemies.  

Flag Captures and Assassinations instantly fill the meter. 

Sounds like a cool action sack mode. Didn't we have something similar to that in Reach with power slayer?

On 10/13/2019 at 9:12 AM, Boyo said:

We need a fast, fun, game that still strives towards the same ideals as classic Halo but introduces changes that bring its gameplay into the next generation.  

Honestly as time passes we only overcomplicate things (in terms of what changes are needed). 

Halo had impeccable movement. Simply put. It was so fine-tuned for every possible scenario that recharging shields and long killtimes were not just feasible but a luxury as a direct result of it. It could withstand so many very real issues presented by those things. 343 has to understand that there was a reason for no sprint or clamber and not because of the time period. They would be better equipped after that to start designing more mechanics.

Halo is a simple game but that stops being the case very quickly when powerups, vehicles, objectives, and power weapons collide in a single match. It doesn't need to overcompensate. It's not one of those games that has a ton of room for added mechanical bloat.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, PolyG said:

Honestly as time passes we only overcomplicate things (in terms of what changes are needed). 

Halo had impeccable movement. Simply put. It was so fine-tuned for every possible scenario that recharging shields and long killtimes were not just feasible but a luxury as a direct result of it. It could withstand so many very real issues presented by those things. 343 has to understand that there was a reason for no sprint or clamber and not because of the time period. They would be better equipped after that to start designing more mechanics.

Halo is a simple game but that stops being the case very quickly when powerups, vehicles, objectives, and power weapons collide in a single match. It doesn't need to overcompensate. It's not one of those games that has a ton of room for added mechanical bloat.

Well put. They should work on refining the polish like UI, customisation, graphics, matchmaking etc. and a hell of a lot less on new gameplay mechanics to throw into the mix.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PolyG said:

It's not one of those games that has a ton of room for added mechanical bloat.

What about mechanical inefficiency?  Weapons have three buttons dedicated to operating them.  The Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle only use 1/3 of them.  The Energy Sword and Gravity Hammer are the same except they also have a redundant melee button.  Mechanical bloat can be less of a problem if mechanics are implemented efficiently.  

What do you think about something like a Hardlight Shield but where it’s position, relative to the user, can be adjusted (front shield, side shield, back shield, diagonal shield) and it doesn’t inherently disable the user’s ability to attack?  

RB activates a uni directional shield that stays in front of the user.  LB unlocks the orientation of the shield from the direction of the user’s aim, meaning if the user turns right, the shield that was in front will now be to the left of him.  Pressing LB again relocks the shield’s orientation to the current direction of the user’s aim, meaning the shield will always be to the left of the user, no matter what direction he aims in.  

Seems a bit OP. The point of a shield is that whatever you're focused on, your sides and back are vulnerable. Effectively creating a consistent barrier between you and the entire map attempting to engage you would probably be a massively broken advantage - it would make objective running brutally easy, if nothing else. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Seems a bit OP. The point of a shield is that whatever you're focused on, your sides and back are vulnerable. Effectively creating a consistent barrier between you and the entire map attempting to engage you would probably be a massively broken advantage - it would make objective running brutally easy, if nothing else. 

I look at it more like being able to shield your side while you fire forward.  On Zanzibar, you’re trying to push out of base with a sniper in Camo tower.  You could position the shield to your left while still being able to fire at enemies in front of you.  Three out of your four sides are going to be exposed, no matter what direction the shield faces but by allowing the user to move the shield off center, it doesn’t have to interfere with offensive capabilities.  At the same time, changing the shields orientation takes a moment to accomplish and wouldn’t be practical to perform mid firefight.  

Carrying an objective typically disables Armor Ability usage.  

Yeah but you have to realize that these abilities are never used in the theoretical, "in-universe" way that they're originally conceived (look at Armor Lock). You greenlight this idea and you're going to have guys running the rim of the map with their shield to the inside, effectively free from taking damage except by what's in front of them, and in a game focused around teamshot that's going to be a real stickler. You're also going to have people running alongside the objective carrier, protecting them from everything but grenades. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, Snipe Three said:

This is a very real thing. I interned for a company that shall not be named once upon a time and sitting in the office and listening to them more or less make light of their hardcore/intelligent player's suggestions and the disdain many of the devs had for them pretty much is the reason I never pursued anything in game design specifically (easier/more money out there too in the same field away from games). I'm sure its not always that way but I'm also sure that those sentiments aren't exactly uncommon either.

I would have just never been comfortable trying to push a product to people knowing that many people working on the game were more concerned with something like their own creative vision rather than making the game that the players wanted to enjoy which could be a pretty divisive subject that I'm sure many people fall on both sides of and its likely one of the more challenging aspects of game design

Is it really so far fetched though? An artist may want their work to be seen as goof but at the end of the day they care more about what they’ve made than what others think. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

8 kills fully charges the Power Glove, allowing the user to activate it with Up on the D pad.  Once activated, the Power Glove cannot be deactivated; it fully drains the meter over the course of 10 seconds.  The user’s equipped weapon is enhanced in some way during those ten seconds.  

To reach a 50 point score limit in Team Slayer, a team of 4 requires 12.5 kills per player.  8/12.5 is three quarters of the way through the match.  Unless one teammate is absolutely beasting, each player should have 1 use of the Power Glove per match.  Because it is unlikely that players will charge another before the match ends, they must choose when, in that last third of the match, is the optimal time to activate their weapon enhancer.  

On certain maps, players initially fight to open the base’s gate so that a different strategy may be used in the latter portion of the match.  Similarly, players initially fight to unlock the Power Glove so that a different strategy may be used in the latter portion of the match.  

For example, with the Power Glove active, rockets also release a cluster of secondary explosives on impact.  You could shoot something above a player behind cover and rain explosives down on him.  Because you unlocked the Power Glove, you were given access to a new strategy.  

Even though the Power Glove rewards cumulative kills, it is different from Ordnance Drops because it can only modify the weapon you already have.  You can’t turn your Needler into a Binary Rifle.  If you do use it enhance a power weapon, it’s because you already fought for and earned that power weapon from off the map.

Similar to keeping track of the game clock for power weapon spawns, players can also keep track of enemy kill counts to know when a Power Glove could be used against them.  A visual indicator on the player model, a glowing hand and modified weapon skin, indicate when the Power Glove is active.  

Matches can stagnate towards the end, neither team wanting to lose a push.  The Power Glove can give players that extra confidence to act aggressively.  Since it only has a ten second duration, and is not practical to activate mid firefight, the Power Glove is not well suited for defensive play.  

Rewarding long term progress in a match keeps players from quitting.  Even if you’re not doing so great, 4 kills is halfway to a Power Glove, so you may as well stick around to get it and hopefully use it to turn your game around.

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

8 kills fully charges the Power Glove, allowing the user to activate it with Up on the D pad.  Once activated, the Power Glove cannot be deactivated; it fully drains the meter over the course of 10 seconds.  The user’s equipped weapon is enhanced in some way during those ten seconds.  

To reach a 50 point score limit in Team Slayer, a team of 4 requires 12.5 kills per player.  8/12.5 is three quarters of the way through the match.  Unless one teammate is absolutely beasting, each player should have 1 use of the Power Glove per match.  Because it is unlikely that players will charge another before the match ends, they must choose when, in that last third of the match, is the optimal time to activate their weapon enhancer.  

On certain maps, players initially fight to open the base’s gate so that a different strategy may be used in the latter portion of the match.  Similarly, players initially fight to unlock the Power Glove so that a different strategy may be used in the latter portion of the match.  

For example, with the Power Glove active, rockets also release a cluster of secondary explosives on impact.  You could shoot something above a player behind cover and rain explosives down on him.  Because you unlocked the Power Glove, you were given access to a new strategy.  

Even though the Power Glove rewards cumulative kills, it is different from Ordnance Drops because it can only modify the weapon you already have.  You can’t turn your Needler into a Binary Rifle.  If you do use it enhance a power weapon, it’s because you already fought for and earned that power weapon from off the map.

Similar to keeping track of the game clock for power weapon spawns, players can also keep track of enemy kill counts to know when a Power Glove could be used against them.  A visual indicator on the player model, a glowing hand and modified weapon skin, indicate when the Power Glove is active.  

Matches can stagnate towards the end, neither team wanting to lose a push.  The Power Glove can give players that extra confidence to act aggressively.  Since it only has a ten second duration, and is not practical to activate mid firefight, the Power Glove is not well suited for defensive play.  

Rewarding long term progress in a match keeps players from quitting.  Even if you’re not doing so great, 4 kills is halfway to a Power Glove, so you may as well stick around to get it and hopefully use it to turn your game around.

So its a super

• Like (+1) 3

What do you think about this system for map and gametype selection in matchmaking playlists?

There are three map/gametype slots.  The first two slots are Objective 66% of the time and the first two slots are Slayer 33% of the time.  Between the first two slots, whichever gets more votes is what’s played.  In a tie vote, the top slot is selected.  A majority of the lobby must vote for the third option to switch from Objective to Slayer or vice versa.