CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

With the amount of people they're hiring I get the feeling they're just starting development/engine work lol. No wonder 2020 is expected.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 needs to at least confirm they are making Spartan Abilities less cluttering to the control scheme for Halo Infinite, because after such a strong trailer it would be suicide to send out another Halo game that plays like Halo 5, let alone controls like it.

Power is in the punch, not the looks. I'd take a Magnum over a BR any day, not to mention a Magnum takes up less screen space.

I booted up Halo 5 a month or so ago and there was this almost omnipresent feeling of claustrophobia. The gigantic viewmodel is the stuff of literal nightmares coming from just playing Halo 2 that evening.

343 is expanding massively, they're now advertising 26 positions on their careers page. It was only 10 or so on Monday as well.

https://www.343industries.com/careers

>another giant team

Welp we're looking at another mess of a game mechanically.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 is expanding massively, they're now advertising 26 positions on their careers page. It was only 10 or so on Monday as well.

https://www.343industries.com/careers

Online Experience Design Director

Responsibilities

Reporting to the Design Manager, you will work with the other team and discipline leads to define the product's design vision and execute on that vision with excellence. You will help develop the overall direction and growth of the organization and champion the values of design among the senior leadership team.

• Design and deliver a AAA social experience that fosters community
  • Design and deliver a AAA player investment experience that focuses on our fans and their desire to express their passion for our franchise (including but not limited to microtransactions)
  • Design and deliver a AAA  progression and engagement experience that ties into game features
  • Puts the player first in all of their team's designs
  • Build and manage a strong team of cross-discipline talent
  • Provide leadership and direction to your team and to other groups
  • Be able to adapt to the changing business and community needs that come along with being a live service
  • Upvote (+1) 1

the Br is because no one wants a pistol as a utility and I know none of you or anyone likes the dmr. It’s not even fun using a damn pistol over a rifle. And spammy? Bruh everyone here is a die hard h1 fan the pistol is a weapon you spam the shit out of. It just feels less op because it’s projectile.

And to answer your last question both. The competitive and social(but the social needs to be like reaches.)

To answer the 110% question just make the default movement speed the speed it be if we were playing halo 3 at 110%

why do you care about the shape of the utility weapon? who cares if it's a rifle or a pistol or a rubber chicken, so long as it serves its purpose properly. single shot > burst fire utility weapon.

how does the geometric distinction between rifle and pistol impact the fun you have? makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 6

why do you care about the shape of the utility weapon? who cares if it's a rifle or a pistol or a rubber chicken, so long as it serves its purpose properly. single shot > burst fire utility weapon.

how does the geometric distinction between rifle and pistol impact the fun you have? makes no sense.

If the distinction makes no difference to you then why not have a rifle? The way things look / sound and the weapon animations mould perceptions so of course they matter for a lot of people (even those that won't admit it).

Also single shot > burst has been overstated and is honestly at the back of a very long list of priorities for future Halo titles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If the distinction makes no difference to you then why not have a rifle? The way things look / sound and the weapon animations mould perceptions so of course they matter for a lot of people (even those that won't admit it).

Also single shot > burst has been overstated and is honestly at the back of a very long list of priorities for future Halo titles.

rifles don't inherently look/sound/animate in a manner that can't evoke a similar emotion that pistols can provide. that said nothing can convey strength,control,accuracy,and skill like a guy expertly wielding a high-caliber pistol while strafe-dodging, headshotting people from 50 yards away.

single shot v burst isn't overstated at all. what value is there in giving partial credit for using a precision weapon? settling on single shot utility such a simple task that there's no logical reason it would need to be at the back of some hypothetical list of priorities... H5 already has a single shot utility.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The problem with burst fire is that no matter how many shots to kill it takes, it creates problems. If it's a 10sk or 11sk, it becomes an ez mode weapon because you can just sweep for the final headshot, contradicting the principle of Halos utility of "easy body shots to break shields, hard to hit the final headshot"

If it's a 12sk then a single dropped shot turns it into a 5sk which takes way too long and creates the feeling of inconsistency. There is just no way to make a BR that is fun to use and skillful IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 6

No, casual scrublords that want lore to inform everything about multiplayer and can't realize "oh hey its a fucking video game" don't want an extremely accurate, high-caliber, nimble "sidearm" as a primary, purely because of its geometry. The whole "its just a sidearm" mentality is kind of ridiculous especially considering the context that you are pretending to be an enhanced, 7 foot tall power-armor-clad super-soldier that can SURVIVE A FALL FROM SPACE. Being able to fire marine sniper-sized rounds quickly from a pistol with high accuracy is pretty BA if you ask me. However, the other side of that token is that the look doesn't really matter for the people that like the magnum either does it? I'm totally fine with throwing the people that can't suspend their disbelief a bone and make it a DMR skin instead. Just make the damage, range, gun action etc identical to a properly tuned magnum and stick it in a DMR skin, problem solved. Nobody "Hates" the DMR. They just hate the H5 DMR tuning. EZ mode, differential aim assist along the length of RRR. It used to just be a much easier to use magnum, and now its just weird. A well designed DMR primary would be fine. Classic zoom though please.

The H1 pistol doesn't feel spammy because the rate of fire, projectile speed and movement speed all fit together nicely. And the aiming system makes sense.

You never answered the 1-50 rank question. Do you want it for the grind, or to keep the current placement system and replace the ranks with 1-50?

a dmr skin on a pistol, no game does this ever and you don’t even know what you’re saying when you say that tbh.

I would prefer a mix of a grind, more like h3s than halo 5s.

I’m only saying you don’t know what you’re saying towards the skin system because that’s not how a skin system works/is done.

• Downvote (-1) 2

a dmr skin on a pistol, no game does this ever and you don’t even know what you’re saying when you say that tbh.

I’m only saying you don’t know what you’re saying towards the skin system because that’s not how a skin system works/is done.

You are not understanding what I'm saying. The geometry of the gun model on the screen is completely arbitrary. That's all. I'm not talking about skins like purchasable cosmetics. You can make any gun model shoot however you want in an imaginary digital world. The shooting mechanics of a weapon are not in reality tied to how it looks on screen

• Upvote (+1) 4

The two weapons function the same exact way, gameplay wise. The next game should consolidate them into one weapon, let it be the starting weapon, and idgaf which skin/gun model it is. Let people choose whether they want it to look like a pistol or DMR, it's gonna function the exact same either way. Personally I feel like we can avoid a lot of headaches if we use a DMR model by default, but I think a pistol model should be an available alternative.

Now that I'm thinking about it, alternate gun models/sounds would make for some awesome unlocks. Like we could unlock the H2 or H3 BR and use that look and sound, but the actual mechanics of the BR would remain exactly the same. Same with sniper, rockets, whatever.

In fact, just make the BR one of the starting weapon skins, but make the burst so fast it functions the same as the single shot starting weapon. Aesthetics are all people really care about anyways when it comes to the BR. I feel like most BR advocates don't really think burst is better than single shot. They just like the aesthetics of the gun and have a strong sense of nostalgia towards it.

• Upvote (+1) 9

The two weapons function the same exact way, gameplay wise. The next game should consolidate them into one weapon, let it be the starting weapon, and idgaf which skin/gun model it is. Let people choose whether they want it to look like a pistol or DMR, it's gonna function the exact same either way. Personally I feel like we can avoid a lot of headaches if we use a DMR model by default, but I think a pistol model should be an available alternative.

Now that I'm thinking about it, alternate gun models/sounds would make for some awesome unlocks. Like we could unlock the H2 or H3 BR and use that look and sound, but the actual mechanics of the BR would remain exactly the same. Same with sniper, rockets, whatever.

In fact, just make the BR one of the starting weapon skins, but make the burst so fast it functions the same as the single shot starting weapon. Aesthetics are all people really care about anyways when it comes to the BR. I feel like most BR advocates don't really think burst is better than single shot. They just like the aesthetics of the gun and have a strong sense of nostalgia towards it.

Also solves the arbitrary "we need more guns" issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like this answer.

rifles don't inherently look/sound/animate in a manner that can't evoke a similar emotion that pistols can provide. that said nothing can convey strength,control,accuracy,and skill like a guy expertly wielding a high-caliber pistol while strafe-dodging, headshotting people from 50 yards away.

single shot v burst isn't overstated at all. what value is there in giving partial credit for using a precision weapon? settling on single shot utility such a simple task that there's no logical reason it would need to be at the back of some hypothetical list of priorities... H5 already has a single shot utility.

Your feelings towards pistols come from the exact same place as those same feelings towards rifles. You can see that can’t you? There is no real difference apart from your indifference to the aesthetic and the fact that your viewpoint doesn’t align with the majority. Ask the general gaming population to put rockets/rifles/snipers/pistols in a hierarchy of power, well you don’t have to because the answers are self evident.

Burst fire is just a different test of aiming skill, requiring more time on target while removing shields. Sweeping headshots are the obvious detractor but why couldn’t you just offset this by making the weapon more difficult overall (reduced AA, AA range, decreased projectile velocity) enhancing what defines burst fire. I fully understand the arguments but in a real game scenario filled with imperfect damage, single shot isn’t going to be something I miss if the rest of the game is good.

Also I don’t think h5 should be the justification for any decision in future games. Personally I don’t think anything about the look or feel of the h5 utility weapon did any favours conveying its power in the sandbox.

Edit; @Hard_Way how does that work with cosmetics / skins etc though? Unique skins only for BRs / pistols / dmrs? Patterns that transfer from weapon to weapon? As much fan service as that would be cosmetic sales need to be the main consideration as that is what fuels future updates once the game is released.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your feelings towards pistols come from the exact same place as those same feelings towards rifles. You can see that can’t you? There is no real difference apart from your indifference to the aesthetic and the fact that your viewpoint doesn’t align with the majority. Ask the general gaming population to put rockets/rifles/snipers/pistols in a hierarchy of power, well you don’t have to because the answers are self evident.

Nah not really. My opinion comes from the conscious acknowledgement that handguns are harder to control than Rifles, so expertice with handguns especially at range, is a better show of skill. Why do you think stylized action movies so often put handguns in the hands of the protagonists? I’ll tell you... it’s because seeing people wreck with handguns is perceive as badass, in part because everyone knows how hard they are to use.

Perhaps the general population assumes the length of a gun correlates to how powerful it is, but that’s fucking stupid... why should THAT be a game design consideration?

I’m not sure if your perceived “hierarchy of power” is true to life, but in games, it 100% depends on how the weapon is portrayed in a particular game. Where is the CE magnum in the hierarchy of power? Or the Handcannons in destiny? Or the boltok in Gears?

Burst fire is just a different test of aiming skill, requiring more time on target while removing shields. Sweeping headshots are the obvious detractor but why couldn’t you just offset this by making the weapon more difficult overall (reduced AA, AA range, decreased projectile velocity) enhancing what defines burst fire. I fully understand the arguments but in a real game scenario filled with imperfect damage, single shot isn’t going to be something I miss if the rest of the game is good.

No it isn’t... because it almost always boils down to sweeping the last shot. Just one comment ago, you were talking about how single shot utility (which we already have) should be low on the priority list... now your talking about reworking the BR to make it a viable, skillful utility- something it’s never truly succeeded at in the history of the franchise... why should THAT be a priority?

Also I don’t think h5 should be the justification for any decision in future games. Personally I don’t think anything about the look or feel of the h5 utility weapon did any favours conveying its power in the sandbox.

Surely it’s easier to adjust the look/feel of H5s mag, than it is to rework the BR into a viable utility weapon, especally since the latter is burst fire.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I think its pretty easy to acknowledge that single shot is preferable to burst fire from a competitive point of view while also acknowledging that it probably isn't worth the fight when compared to everything else we're worried about happening to new Halo games. That doesn't mean we have to pick our battles necessarily but its probably one of the least important ones we're dealing with if you check out the other stuff that's been happening post H3. I wish this was important within the scope of stuff that's been going on

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think its pretty easy to acknowledge that single shot is preferable to burst fire from a competitive point of view while also acknowledging that it probably isn't worth the fight when compared to everything else we're worried about happening to new Halo games. That doesn't mean we have to pick our battles necessarily but its probably one of the least important ones we're dealing with if you check out the other stuff that's been happening post H3. I wish this was important within the scope of stuff that's been going on

doesn't even need to be a fight really...

just 1) give the magnum a low min ttk and a high avg ttk with minimal aim assists 2) give the BR a higher min ttk and a lower avg ttk and lessen it's damage to the body. 3) players spawn with both.

at lower skill levels, the BR will be the weapon of choice because it's easier. at higher skill levels it'll be the magnum because it kills faster.

BR essentially replaces the H5 AR

• Upvote (+1) 4

With the amount of people they're hiring I get the feeling they're just starting development/engine work lol. No wonder 2020 is expected.

Yeah it really does make you wonder what the hell they were working on up to this point.  No way it could just be the engine after 3 years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah it really does make you wonder what the hell they were working on up to this point.  No way it could just be the engine after 3 years.

It might. Does that make you uncomfortable?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo wont be mainstream again unless you market multoplayer with celebs. You cant keep trotting out singleplayer only campaign marketing

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

doesn't even need to be a fight really...

just 1) give the magnum a low min ttk and a high avg ttk with minimal aim assists 2) give the BR a higher min ttk and a lower avg ttk and lessen it's damage to the body. 3) players spawn with both.

at lower skill levels, the BR will be the weapon of choice because it's easier. at higher skill levels it'll be the magnum because it kills faster.

BR essentially replaces the H5 AR

or just do what most want and have a rifle as the main utility. There’s something’s halo shouldn’t do that every game does but there’s some things it should, and that’s make a rifle the dominant weapon. And no giving it the same stats as the pistol would be awful, it needs to be higher ranged, or faster TTK, aim assist should be lower if not the same but outside that no.
  • Downvote (-1) 2

or just do what most want and have a rifle as the main utility. There’s something’s halo shouldn’t do that every game does but there’s some things it should, and that’s make a rifle the dominant weapon. And no giving it the same stats as the pistol would be awful, it needs to be higher ranged, or faster TTK, aim assist should be lower if not the same but outside that no.

people don't play Halo for "dominant weapons". that's not a main utility that's an upgrade. people don't care what their starting weapon is shaped like, as long as it plays well. BR starts were tested in the H5 beta, and was rejected by the playerbase.

if you want weapons balanced as primaries and sidearms, go play another game. that's not Halo.

The problem with burst fire is that no matter how many shots to kill it takes, it creates problems. If it's a 10sk or 11sk, it becomes an ez mode weapon because you can just sweep for the final headshot, contradicting the principle of Halos utility of "easy body shots to break shields, hard to hit the final headshot"

If it's a 12sk then a single dropped shot turns it into a 5sk which takes way too long and creates the feeling of inconsistency. There is just no way to make a BR that is fun to use and skillful IMO.

I agree with this overall, but I think in general h2s hitscan and high bulletmag/aim assist made burst weapons seem more problematic than they would be seen otherwise. Burst fire isn’t ever going to be as good as single shot, but it doesn’t automatically make it as ez-mode as h2 or as inconsistent as h3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Edit; @Hard_Way how does that work with cosmetics / skins etc though? Unique skins only for BRs / pistols / dmrs? Patterns that transfer from weapon to weapon? As much fan service as that would be cosmetic sales need to be the main consideration as that is what fuels future updates once the game is released.

Have you played any Gears 4? You can go through and assign a skin to every weapon in the game. Whether you start with it or pick it up, you imbue your chosen visual traits onto the weapon, so long as you were the first one to touch it. You could have that same menu in Halo. When I pick up the rocket launcher, do I want it to look and sound like the H1 SPNKR, or the H5 green tube? It doesn't matter what I choose, because the weapon is going to function the same way regardless of what I choose. And regardless of what it may look/sound like, the pickup icon remains the same when a player goes to pick up your weapon off the ground after you die.

Now, whether we want to tie those skin unlocks to achievements, make them pay only, or have them on an in-game marketplace like Reach...that's 343's decision. I think a combination of all 3 is the best approach.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Bold prediction: Halo Infinite will feature a $40 campaign if you want to purchase it and a free to play multiplayer with purchasable cosmetics.

aka the Fortnite model. But it’s been working for a reason.

• Upvote (+1) 9