CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

13 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Footstep sounds have been in halo since h2 fucker, you just couldn’t hear them back then because no one had a 100$ headset. 

hey look at me I can call someone a fucker to totally make my opinion more valid

said no one ever.

Oh I didn't realize that everything that was in a prior Halo game has to be in the next one. 

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

Footstep sounds have been in halo since h2 fucker, you just couldn’t hear them back then because no one had a 100$ headset. 

Actually they've been in every game since the beginning (including CE). They are also one of the things that even "CE purists" would be just fine getting rid of. Damnation would play a hell of a lot better without them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Footsteps should make less noise. The added clanking of armor is unneeded, and we were already given a lore reason for that; the thin layer of shields surrounding the armor dulls all sound and reverb. Gunfire, reloading and throwing grenades should be the only things that make a reasonable amount of noise.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, JordanB said:

hey look at me I can call someone a fucker to totally make my opinion more valid

said no one ever.

Oh I didn't realize that everything that was in a prior Halo game has to be in the next one. 

Oh look at me I’m salty. 

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Footsteps should make less noise. The added clanking of armor is unneeded, and we were already given a lore reason for that; the thin layer of shields surrounding the armor dulls all sound and reverb. Gunfire, reloading and throwing grenades should be the only things that make a reasonable amount of noise.

Since when was that in the lore

2 hours ago, BigShow36 said:

Actually they've been in every game since the beginning (including CE). They are also one of the things that even "CE purists" would be just fine getting rid of. Damnation would play a hell of a lot better without them. 

Eh you can barely hear them(in ce Xbox version unless you’re wearing a headset. 

4 hours ago, JordanB said:

said no one ever.

When it’s something like footstep noises it damn sure should. When has hearing footsteps ruined an experience in proper 4s modes, if all it ruins is 1v1s then it doesn’t ruin much.

12 minutes ago, Arlong said:

When it’s something like footstep noises it damn sure should. When has hearing footsteps ruined an experience in proper 4s modes, if all it ruins is 1v1s then it doesn’t ruin much.

I don't even agree with this, but lets assume it only ruins 1v1s for funsies.  You are basically making the argument that we hear in defense of BS mechanics all the time "well its not that bad, so its fine".  If something doesn't unequivocally improve gameplay, don't include it. That how you end up with the identity-less, muddy, indistinguishable games. Design a game with only the most basic elements that can accomplish your vision. From there only add shit that unarguably makes the game better. Footstep sounds aint it.

18 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Since when was that in the lore

Pretty sure there is a lengthy section in The Fall of Reach that goes into good detail about this stuff. Im sure its mentioned elsewhere too but thats one i remember specifically.  I'll need to see if i still have that book....

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Arlong said:

When it’s something like footstep noises it damn sure should.

Okay, why? What distinguishes "footstep noises" from anything else in the game. All you do is make a comment "it was in the game before it should be in now" or "when it's something like footstep noises it should" but you never give a reason to back your thoughts. You just say them and expect to everyone to believe you're right.

FYI: It being in a prior game is not justification that it should be in a future game. Otherwise why are we even talking about Halo Infinite, because if it has sprint, thrust, clamber, ground pound, etc., more than half of the people discussing here won't even be playing the game.

20 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

There is no qualitative difference between footsteps and radar.

There's no difference in value/quality between them? Lmao. Yes there is. With sounds you have to be paying attention and trying to figure out where what you're hearing is especially when there are floors above and below. Radar simply visually tells you exactly where someone is and is much more powerful because of that. They're not equal in any way shape or form unless you're just trying to take a hardline stance against any cue that may reveal where a player is and want to ignore all nuance

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Xandrith said:

There is no qualitative difference between footsteps and radar.

One is visual, one is audio. Two different senses, two different parts of the brain relay that information. That's like saying that there is no different between someone waving and saying hello. Both are a greeting and convey the same message, but the mediums in which they are delivered are entirely different. 

A blind person can hear footsteps, a deaf person can see radar.

How is that not a qualitative difference?

• Like (+1) 1

Why doesn’t Halo employ movement based bloom like many games do?

Because players shouldn’t be punished for moving.

What do footstep noises do?

Punish players for moving.  

Why does competitive Halo turn Radar off?

Because they don’t want to punish players for moving.  

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

Ok let me ask a question here no ones thiking of? Who’s happy? The flanker or the guy getting flanked? Trust me you ain’t having both? Is that player lesser skilled because you made it so they now can only use one of their senses? To believe footstep noises are the same thing as radar is ridiculous. If your shooting at a guy from point a, you wouldn’t be able to hear the guy flanking you from point b.  But radar will always show a target(unless scoped in of course) 

i can promise you not being able to hear my opponent and I know in many games has caused great frustration for many players, but I guess the flanker is happy. Removing footstep sounds wouldn’t improve the gameplay like some here believe, hell some of y’all act as if you can hear the footsteps from super far away. It’s just enough where you can react in a decent time, or many times not because you’d still get backsmacked. 

I like hearing footsteps so I can prepare for my attacker, but that guy still can come from an angle I’m unaware of.

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why doesn’t Halo employ movement based bloom like many games do?

Because players shouldn’t be punished for moving.

What do footstep noises do?

Punish players for moving.  

Why does competitive Halo turn Radar off?

Because they don’t want to punish players for moving.  

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

But it’s not the same thing as radar, footstep noises doesn’t punish you for moving in any fashion, radar completely prevents flanking possibilities, but footstep noises don’t, otherwise flanking be impossible in BR games which really make footstep sounds louder than any game.

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

footstep noises doesn’t punish you for moving

Can enemies hear these footsteps and determine your location based on them?

29 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Can enemies hear these footsteps and determine your location based on them?

Do they 100% know where you are? The answer is no they do not. Punishing you from moving would be if they could see a waypoint market on your head. There’s a big difference. You can flank in a br game, it works a lot of the time, guess what, you can hear footsteps.

58 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Ok let me ask a question here no ones thinking of? Who’s happy?

Deep.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Deep.

My point of the question was the fact how anyone here is ok with footsteps gone because the flanker can now flank with no repercussions, he/she can now only need to worry about being seen, so the flanker is happy but not the one being flanked, there’s only so many angles that person can look at. 

I have no issues with footsteps being audible and directional. In games like Squad and Insurgency they only add to the game. In a game like Halo it does put people without headphones at a disadvantage, but that's not through fault in game design.

I don't think it needs to be super loud though. Being able to hear people within 10-15m max should be sufficient.

People have to understand that most people play solo with no mic and other people muted. Even if you don't like people that play that way, it doesn't matter. That's the reality. So giving information to those players is a necessity.

Radar is iconic for Halo, but entirely unnecessary. You can have it in socials for newer/casual players but in competitive it's a bit rich.

19 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Being able to hear people within 10-15m max should be sufficient.

Halo’s map design is different from other games.  Players are often in close proximity to each other without a line of sight.  

When map design is different, sometimes sound design has to be different too.

Should you be able to sound whore the entire snipe tower on lockout?  I would say no.  On midship, should you be able to hear players in your basement from your base?  I would also say no.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Halo’s map design is different from other games.  Players are often in close proximity to each other without a line of sight.  

When map design is different, sometimes sound design has to be different too.

Should you be able to sound whore the entire snipe tower on lockout?  I would say no.  On midship, should you be able to hear players in your basement from your base?  I would also say no.  

I think it should be material based i.e. metal is louder than concrete. This can add another layer to map design whilst preventing situations such as those you have stated.

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I think it should be material based i.e. metal is louder than concrete. This can add another layer to map design whilst preventing situations such as those you have stated.

Or you have one weapon that is designed specifically for sound whoring.  A sonic weapon can activate an enhanced audio mode that amplifies players’ normally near silent footsteps.  

17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Or you have one weapon that is designed specifically for sound whoring.  A sonic weapon can activate an enhanced audio mode that amplifies players’ normally near silent footsteps.  

Interesting idea, but I think it should be the opposite:

You can have a powerup on the map that gives you super audio and no other bonuses, allowing you to hear all enemy players on the map for a certain duration, no matter the distance. Also you get a visual element on your character to show people know you have it (similar to overshield makes you glow). Additionally, could have your screen have a temporary FOV increase and slower speed or something similar to give a "focused" feel.

Additionally, Active Camo could remove footstep audio for the duration and Overshield could increase footstep audio. 

There's plenty to do here with existing stuff rather than piss around with an audio gun. A timed duration also forces the team to use it offensively (as it forces to control the pace or lose it) whereas a weapon would only expire on death (or loss of ammo) making it inherently defensive.

The difference between soundwhoring and radar from a medium standpoint is fucking irrelevant when they both have the same damn effect on player behavior; it strangles map movement potential to a detrimental level. If I had to pick one, I'd pick radar, cause at least everyone can have it, while not everyone can have a $300 headset.

Normal modes of movement, including sprinting btw, should never paint a big ass audio/video target on you in a massive radius. It's far too important for the health of the game and gameplay potential for something so incredibly BASIC to punish you so severely.

You want sound to give players away? Here:

1. Reloading

2. Weapon swapping

3. Landing from a jump or a fall (debatable, kinda falls under basic movement in Halo.)

4. Throwing grenades

5. Meleeing

6. Environmental traits that make sound (broken glass on the ground, rubble,  or tall grass, ect.).

7. Activating doors or switches

All of these things give players absolute control over how they give off information without all the negatives of continuous footstep noise and radar. All of them can give away their position, but you at least can influence if and when you do it, and soundwhores can act accordingly when given info.

I'm in the boat if you got flanked, you deserve to be pissed off about it, for you have no one but yourself to blame for your lack of awareness, and I think it's a lesson that will prove valuable in the long run. I'd rather benefit the aggressive player everytime. The second you start giving passive players tools to play even more passive, the game WILL devolve into a toxic camping shitshow.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Interesting idea, but I think it should be the opposite:

You can have a powerup on the map that gives you super audio and no other bonuses, allowing you to hear all enemy players on the map for a certain duration, no matter the distance. Also you get a visual element on your character to show people know you have it (similar to overshield makes you glow). Additionally, could have your screen have a temporary FOV increase and slower speed or something similar to give a "focused" feel.

Additionally, Active Camo could remove footstep audio for the duration and Overshield could increase footstep audio. 

There's plenty to do here with existing stuff rather than piss around with an audio gun. A timed duration also forces the team to use it offensively (as it forces to control the pace or lose it) whereas a weapon would only expire on death (or loss of ammo) making it inherently defensive.

latest?cb=20120325195029

• Like (+1) 3