Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Arlong said:

So you should be able to move freely? Why? Soundwhoring isn’t free info it’s info you have every right to have! Try running behind someone and the only way they’re not hearing you is if they’re deaf or something. No one is hearing footsteps when they’re firing at someone.  But if you’re too afraid to move that’s on you. But I don’t like the idea of being flanked with no consequences. 

There's so much wrong concentrated into one post, I don't even know where to begin.  That last sentence alone is a jaw dropper.

Arlong's thoughts of the day:

"Players should make tons of noise when they move so that I can hear them coming from anywhere. Also 'tubs realism, because this is still somehow an argument."


"Even though you make tons of noise when you move, you should still not be afraid to move. You should just give me all the information I want, always. I'm incapable of imagining players choosing to deny me this information, and how that playstyle might slow down gameplay and make it boring as shit. I just want my pitter patters and you better give them to me."

"People should be punished for flanking me, for some reason. I assume no responsibility for my own awareness or intuition."

"If being able to hear someone's every move somehow makes a mode slow and boring, then someone somewhere needs to design a map that is still fun even when you always know where the enemy is. I won't offer any suggestion as to how to do this. Just get it done somehow."

 

Sometimes I wonder how someone can have such strong opinions based on such little information.

 

  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Arlong said:

That honestly doesn’t matter at all, hearing footsteps is a legit tactic that belongs. Realism actually belongs in some fashion, even in HALO. And if that’s a problem in 1v1s maybe better maps in order.

Maps don't mean much if you can literally hear footsteps through walls and entire buildings. Have you ever even played H4 or H5 1v1s? It's a complete joke. I'm not talking about faint footsteps if a dude is right next to you, you can literally soundwhore across the map.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

"People should be punished for flanking me, for some reason. I assume no responsibility for my own awareness or intuition."

Paging IceBeast

  • Fire (+1) 5
  • Toxic (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post

This brings up one point that always bothered me a little.  So, “realism” is why footsteps should be heard.  Would it not be more realistic to assume that in a universe with species that have mastered interstellar travel, that they might have also mastered the art of muffling footsteps?  Aren’t Spartans like literal ninjas in the books anyway?

And we could go back and forth with this, “well, Spartans have Astro headsets built into their helmets that amplify quiet footsteps so that’s why they can hear them”.

”Well, Spartan Boots have an extremely thin, anti gravity cushion beneath them that completely removes footstep noises”.

You could use realism to defend the inclusion or removal of any mechanic in a game with Space Magic ®.

Same thing with radar.  You are a super solider equipped with a motion tracker so you should be able to see moving players right?  No, other players suits are just as advanced as yours, coming equipped with jamming and countermeasures that defeat the motion tracker (like by creating so many false positives that actual players become lost in the noise).  

 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Paging IceBeast

Ignoring the blatantly wrong statement for the 15th time, we have been against footstep sound since the beginning of time. Next. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, Arlong said:

You know what really grinds my gears? Is the fact that basically ANY video game with lore behind it, halo, Star Wars, lotr tries to make their games as “canon” as possible. We’ve seen how this has affected halo, as it’s one of the reasons 343 refused to bring playable elites back as they wouldn’t make sense to be in the Wargames, which is canon apparently.

Too many games are going that route which really brings a sense of irritation because it prevents creativity and fun. Like why should I care what’s canon or not? Do a lot of gamers really care about that stuff? 

Kind of.

I don't care about realism in games, I don't even particularly care about strict lore accuracy down to the tiniest minutia for that matter (people who bitch about things like bottlecaps or Jet in Fallout 4 are just absurd to me), it has no bearing on my immersion one way or another.  But yes I do care about immersion, and would be pretty turned off and pulled out of the experience if I, say, saw some bad render of Elsa from Frozen shooting people up.  I'm fine with that sort of thing in games like Gmod or Smash Bros or whatever where they're set up to be very "gamey" cross-universe self-aware games from the get-go that don't take themselves seriously, but in a game with serious lore behind it, it's just jarring.  On a broad level canon is very important.

Elites weren't removed because of wargames though.  That's just some bullshit retroactive justification 343i cooked up to cover it.  There's like a million and one ways you can write Elites into war games that still make sense lore-wise, like they're there for joint training because of X treaty or whatever, there's no canonical reason they can't be shoved in somehow.  No, they were removed because they've always been janky in multiplayer with their weirdass hitboxes.  Same reason they were relegated to an asymmetric mode in Reach.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

Elites were relegated to an asymmetric mode in Reach.

Where they should stay.  There is no point in playable Elites in multiplayer if they have the same hitboxes and base traits as Spartans.  Keep Elites for Infection, Invasion, and Elite Slayer.  Keep them FOR their differences.  Don’t try to make them Spartans with a different looking player model.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Boyo said:

I like to play with my sound off so instead of deafening footsteps, could players just be marked with a waypoint at all times?

No, because 1, you’re not deaf so your reasons for doing so don’t matter, and that’s completely your choice as well. That’s free info completely different from hearing footsteps. Heck’s they could be yours or your teammates. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

There's so much wrong concentrated into one post, I don't even know where to begin.  That last sentence alone is a jaw dropper.

Arlong's thoughts of the day:

"Players should make tons of noise when they move so that I can hear them coming from anywhere. Also 'tubs realism, because this is still somehow an argument."


"Even though you make tons of noise when you move, you should still not be afraid to move. You should just give me all the information I want, always. I'm incapable of imagining players choosing to deny me this information, and how that playstyle might slow down gameplay and make it boring as shit. I just want my pitter patters and you better give them to me."

"People should be punished for flanking me, for some reason. I assume no responsibility for my own awareness or intuition."

"If being able to hear someone's every move somehow makes a mode slow and boring, then someone somewhere needs to design a map that is still fun even when you always know where the enemy is. I won't offer any suggestion as to how to do this. Just get it done somehow."

 

Sometimes I wonder how someone can have such strong opinions based on such little information.

Sometimes I wonder how you think you’re smarter when these are the conclusions you come up with. This isn’t about hearing every move moron, it’s being able to hear someone coming behind me because I have fucking ears, aka I can hear sound. 

  • Salt (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Arlong said:

you’re not deaf 

 

7 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I have fucking ears, aka I can hear sound. 

So hateful.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Arlong said:

No, because 1, you’re not deaf so your reasons for doing so don’t matter, and that’s completely your choice as well. That’s free info completely different from hearing footsteps. Heck’s they could be yours or your teammates. 

I'm still waiting for point #2.

7 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sometimes I wonder how you think you’re smarter when these are the conclusions you come up with. This isn’t about hearing every move moron, it’s being able to hear someone coming behind me because I have fucking ears, aka I can hear sound. 

You also have eyes and thumbs. Use them to prevent someone from getting behind you.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Ignoring the blatantly wrong statement for the 15th time, we have been against footstep sound since the beginning of time. Next. 

I love how you tried to shrug off the joke before diving straight back into it.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, JordanB said:

I'm still waiting for point #2.

You also have eyes and thumbs. Use them to prevent someone from getting behind you.

I already do, but that doesn’t mean someone’s hearing shouldn’t play a part in the fight.  Footstep sounds are jere to stay, you can’t pick and choose and say “well it’s ok in this game but not this one because it’s special” stfu!  With that bs.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I already do, but that doesn’t mean someone’s hearing shouldn’t play a part in the fight.  Footstep sounds are jere to stay, you can’t pick and choose and say “well it’s ok in this game but not this one because it’s special” stfu!  With that bs.

Why do I care what any other game has when I play Halo? Well since other games have it I guess Halo should keep sprint, add wall running, add titans, special power ups depending what team you're on, super high jumping, sliding down hills, grappling hooks... Need I go on? 

You literally make no sense sometimes. "it's ok in other games so it should be ok in Halo" lmao. Why even have different games then. Why even have variety. Let's just make every game the same. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

Lore shouldn't dictate gameplay but it's not bad to use it as a jumping off point for new ideas. That's how Hardy LeBel brought plasma stun, overcharge, and quick camo into the mix, by imagining how elites/the covenant would fight and what their needs would be as an alien race.

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

I have fucking ears. 

Are they only for fucking?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Power Glove is not automatically activated on pick up; it is activated manually by pressing Up on the D pad.  While active, whatever weapon the user has equipped becomes modified, behaving differently, firing different projectiles.  

The Magnum kills in 3 shots.

The Plasma Pistol fires Wraith rounds.

The Energy Sword has increased movement speed and lunge range. 

10 second duration.  30 second recharge.  Dropped on death. 

Share this post


Link to post

*Opens thread.*

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

The Power Glove -

*Closes thread.*

Nah but in all seriousness not a fan.  Magnum should kill in 3 shots by default or there should be a variant weapon that does, I'm not too keen on the idea of that function being relegated to an equipment pickup.  Plasma Pistol firing wraith rounds is just...holy shit.  Like imagine you're playing Wizard and grab one, if you are even remotely competent with using cover you are just going to shred everything, not even Rockets are that strong.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Whether or not footsteps shoudl be heard depends on the Halo game they are making for infinite.  

  • Sprintyboi Halo - walking should be silent.  Sprinting should be loud as fuck
  • Real Halo - Only hear footsteps right as someone enters assassination range. so you know you're about to die.

What crazy with Halo 5 is how you can hear people CROUCHING through fucking walls.  Someone crouches, you can hear their suit being all janky.  its crazy.  On the subject of sound.  What about reloading sounds?  That i am fine with as long as you can only hear it fairly close range.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

@Ramirez77

The Magnum goes from a 4sk default to a 3sk with PG active because I don’t want the utility to be too OP since that could represent a significant percentage of PG usage.  

The PP firing a Wraith round would overheat the weapon so the number of shots a player can get off in ten seconds is limited.  And a map like Wizard might not need a PG pick up on it.  No need to shoehorn it into places it doesn’t belong.  

 

The Power Glove can modify weapons in different ways.

The Magnum gets a simple damage boost.

The Plasma Pistol fires a new projectile entirely.

The Energy Sword modifies base player traits.

What other effects could the Power Glove have on weapons?

 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Whether or not footsteps shoudl be heard depends on the Halo game they are making for infinite.  

  • Sprintyboi Halo - walking should be silent.  Sprinting should be loud as fuck
  • Real Halo - Only hear footsteps right as someone enters assassination range. so you know you're about to die.

What crazy with Halo 5 is how you can hear people CROUCHING through fucking walls.  Someone crouches, you can hear their suit being all janky.  its crazy.  On the subject of sound.  What about reloading sounds?  That i am fine with as long as you can only hear it fairly close range.

There's also a spawning sound which is just completely fucked. I think reloading sounds and sounds for picking up and dropping weapons can be cool as you can also bait your opponent that way (start reloading and YY to cancel it). Adds a slight "mindgame" aspect which is always cool.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Basu said:

There's also a spawning sound which is just completely fucked. I think reloading sounds and sounds for picking up and dropping weapons can be cool as you can also bait your opponent that way (start reloading and YY to cancel it). Adds a slight "mindgame" aspect which is always cool.

Oh YEAH spawning sound is dumb. You can hear everything in H5 from so far away its maddening.  Reloading and dropping weapons are also a singular sound for a short time.  You can' just follow it with your earhole to its inevitable conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Arlong said:

Sometimes I wonder how you think you’re smarter when these are the conclusions you come up with. This isn’t about hearing every move moron, it’s being able to hear someone coming behind me because I have fucking ears, aka I can hear sound. 

I want you to use your own brain and make up your own mind about this question:

If you could separate gameplay from reality (spoiler: its a video game, so you can), do you think loud footstep sounds make GAMEPLAY better or worse?

Do not use any variant of “realism” or “immersion” in your answer, as that is a separate topic that we can get to later. Focus on gameplay right now.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, JordanB said:

Why do I care what any other game has when I play Halo? Well since other games have it I guess Halo should keep sprint, add wall running, add titans, special power ups depending what team you're on, super high jumping, sliding down hills, grappling hooks... Need I go on? 

You literally make no sense sometimes. "it's ok in other games so it should be ok in Halo" lmao. Why even have different games then. Why even have variety. Let's just make every game the same. 

Footstep sounds have been in halo since h2 fucker, you just couldn’t hear them back then because no one had a 100$ headset. 

  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I want you to use your own brain and make up your own mind about this question:

If you could separate gameplay from reality (spoiler: its a video game, so you can), do you think loud footstep sounds make GAMEPLAY better or worse?

Do not use any variant of “realism” or “immersion” in your answer, as that is a separate topic that we can get to later. Focus on gameplay right now.

I think it makes it better, but maybe I’m judging from my experiences with BRS, I’ve never found it to be an issue in halo

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.