CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

You can count the number of genuinely good BTB maps in the entire Halo series on one hand.

Change my mind.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

You can count the number of genuinely good BTB maps in the entire Halo series on one hand.

Change my mind.

Blood Gulch

Coagulation

Valhalla

Hemmorhage

Ragnarok

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

49 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Change my mind.

Burial Mounds, Containment, Headlong, Relic, Waterworks (Zanzibar, Colossus, Terminal)

Only ones I agree with on that is Burial and Terminal. Containment, Headlong, Relic and Zanzibar have too much of the "no man's land" problem. Colossus I would consider a Squad map.

6 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Only ones I agree with on that is Burial and Terminal. Containment, Headlong, Relic and Zanzibar have too much of the "no man's land" problem. Colossus I would consider a Squad map.

Colossus and Zanzi are both squad maps IMO.

Fair criticisms but I believe Halo 2 had the best BTB map selection.

Halo 2’s BTB maps also doubled as Team Snipers maps in many cases, which I feel they were well suited for.  

The Rumble Pit and Multi Team playlists are combined.  Depending on how many players are found, the player count is either 8 or 12.  FFAs are not conducive to objective play so those 8 man matches are Slayer.  If 12 players are found, multi team matches still retain the feel of fighting against a larger enemy force but allow your unit of 3 to play objectives effectively.  Unlike the rest of the playlists, which have a maximum party size equal to the team size, a party of up to 12 players could search Multi Pit.

Team Slayer (2v2) 

Team Objective (4v4) 

Squad Battle (6v6, mix of slayer and objective, minimal vehicles)

Big Team Battle (8v8, mix of slayer and objective, moderate vehicles)

Invasion (10v10, multi phase asymmetric objective, heavy vehicles)

17 hours ago, Arlong said:

Name a map right now that has that? Literally not a single fucking one. They’re either great for vehicles or infantry, you ain’t getting both. Those three halo titles didn’t even have great btb. Sprint on a map like Valhalla doesn’t ruin it, and that’s an amazing btb map.

Timberland/Ridgeline, Headlong/Breakneck, Burial Mounds, Terminal, Longshore, Rat's Nest, various Sandbox maps, Tempest, various Forge World maps. If you had a single clue how map scaling works you'd understand that "duuuh that map big" doesn't automatically mean sprint makes it work or play better. All the same principles of lower player count map design still apply to varying degrees. The only new factor is working in vehicle routes and infantry interaction. While all of the maps I mentioned range in how "good" they are, none of them are shit and have distinct goals of balancing both types of routes.

And for the record I've played Ragnarok, ElDewrito Valhalla, and Viking. I can tell you without a doubt sprint ruins those maps.

• Fire (+1) 5

I don't like the idea of combining Rumble Pit with Multi Team because someone searching solo (looking for RP) but ends up getting a random in Multi Team might just end up quitting.* Being down 1 person is bad enough but when it's an objective game it becomes extremely hard to win when it's 3v3v3v2. I realize it's Social and not all about winning but if a team already down one guy is getting stomped on, the rest of the team might just quit too.

* The reason I feel there might be an increase in quitting is because you're mixing a solo game with a team game. 

22 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Valhalla isn't a good map

There’s more in the halo community especially btb that would disagree 

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

There’s more in the halo community especially btb that would disagree 

By that logic Blood Gulch is the best map in Halo. Try again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You people didn’t even list maps that were good for infantry and vehicles tf is this bs? Hells colossas doesn’t even have vehicles 

11 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

By that logic Blood Gulch is the best map in Halo. Try again.

Oh so you people decide that huh? What’s good and what’s not? What makes you special? 

Valhalla is a fine map.  Its not great, but its not terrible.  i think people really like it because its so simple to understand. it is a good example of a map that lets you get back in the action rather quickly via the man cannons considering its size. You have options to take a couple of safe routes and take longer, or take a more dangerous route but get back faster.  Of course, all of this leads to pretty one-note gameplay. Control top mid, win. But when you are a casual BTB player that plays a couple times a week (ie the majority of people in that list on any given night), its the perfect map.  If you threw a party with BTB hors d'oeuvres (yes i had to google how to spell that), it would be the canned queso dip. Nobody is going to ask you for the recipe or talk about it later, but they damn sure are going to eat it.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Valhalla is a fine map.  Its not great, but its not terrible.  i think people really like it because its so simple to understand. it is a good example of a map that lets you get back in the action rather quickly via the man cannons considering its size. You have options to take a couple of safe routes and take longer, or take a more dangerous route but get back faster.  Of course, all of this leads to pretty one-note gameplay. Control top mid, win. But when you are a casual BTB player that plays a couple times a week (ie the majority of people in that list on any given night), its the perfect map.  If you threw a party with BTB hors d'oeuvres (yes i had to google how to spell that), it would be the canned queso dip. Nobody is going to ask you for the recipe or talk about it later, but they damn sure are going to eat it.

And that team of 8 would still prefer that map over others. That map plays quite fine, and the fact you need to control top mod isn’t a bad design problem by any means. The map plays great for the most part. I’ve only debated that the btb and warzone groups obviously need sprint because you ain’t making a big ass map that’s meant for no sprint play, and if that map makers a shit designer oh well you ain’t the one making the maps! You want to make it so vehicles are strong right, well if you have too many maps like rats nest the vehicles become to strong but more Valhalla’s the vehicles are good now, but sprint at the very least helps out the player escaping from those vehicles possibly. Like the best btb maps for infantry play are absolutely garbage for vehicles. Avalanche is a decent map but one that wouldn’t necessarily be ruined by sprint nor made bigger.

Some of the hatred of sprint in halo is sometimes ridiculous. I just hate it for 4s, your typical mm mode. But I’d be ok with it in modes like btb, warzone, infection and invasion. Most of sprints negative problems come from fours, do you play btb and ever feel like “I wish sprint wasn’t here” do you really? Like when I play fours I definitely do, but in btb hardly ever. I sometimes wish sprint was in h3 for some of its btb maps. Or a bms of 120% be ok with me :). All in all I don’t think the “no man lands”, really make btb bad. Like I mean I expect a btb map to be open as hell like vahallah.

• Downvote (-1) 4

i have never played any btb map where I wish I had sprint besides Infinity. And I really just wished for more teleporters, not sprinting. valhalla isn't even really open. u can stick towards pelican side and be really safe from vehicles or the laser. it also has projectile which opens up maps more. 

want good maps with vehs here ya go

timberlands (only ce map cuz vehicles aren't powerful in ce)

waterworks

headlong

terminal

valhalla

standoff (i wouldn't call it a good map, but veh/man balance is good)

avalanche

sandbox if u remove the choppers. and the other variants are fine

rats nest

longshore

and i would not want sprint on any of these maps. sprint literally breaks longshore because u can jump from sword to the control room. like you'd have an easier time debating why throwing the oddball is a good mechanic (its not).

• Like (+1) 1

Sprint is not needed in any mode or map, no matter how big. What an uncreative solution for a series like Halo

• Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Sprint is not needed in any mode or map, no matter how big. What an uncreative solution for a series like Halo

Could you see making one of the warzone maps work without it? 

22 minutes ago, Riddler said:

i have never played any btb map where I wish I had sprint besides Infinity. And I really just wished for more teleporters, not sprinting. valhalla isn't even really open. u can stick towards pelican side and be really safe from vehicles or the laser. it also has projectile which opens up maps more. 

want good maps with vehs here ya go

timberlands (only ce map cuz vehicles aren't powerful in ce)

waterworks

headlong

terminal

valhalla

standoff (i wouldn't call it a good map, but veh/man balance is good)

avalanche

sandbox if u remove the choppers. and the other variants are fine

rats nest

longshore

and i would not want sprint on any of these maps. sprint literally breaks longshore because u can jump from sword to the control room. like you'd have an easier time debating why throwing the oddball is a good mechanic (its not).

You gotta realize there’s a limit to how many a map should get. Long shore isn’t even a btb map that plays well for vehicles but infantry. The h4 btb maps played quite well regarding both factors, and the reach maps especially. I don’t think halo should rid of sprint entirely. 

I’m not a fan of sprint, but I think it’s ok in btb. That would at least make the players who want sprint in halo happy. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don’t believe many of you play btb often, but more or less will play it if someone brings it up(I’m assuming so I could be wrong) but btb in halo doesn’t feel off.

• Downvote (-1) 2

did u even have an account on bigteambattle.net? or are currently in either btb discord? btb were the first people to leave halo4

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Could you see making one of the warzone maps work without it? 

You do realize that maps are designed around the movement mechanics and not the other way around, right?

Anyway, teleporters and mancannons are some obvious solutions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TeeJaY said:

You do realize that maps are designed around the movement mechanics and not the other way around, right?

Anyway, teleporters and mancannons are some obvious solutions.

I mean the maps themselves could work without those tbh. If you decided to take sprint out and everything but clamber then there be a way actually? You just didn’t think of it. 

My top 5 Halo BTB maps:

- Last Resort

- Stone Town

- Zanzibar

Hohoho. But really, and this is not in any order:

1. Last Resort (I never feel like vehicles dominate, nor that I'm "caught in the open" by poor design but rather poor positioning by me)

2. Breakneck (yeah you heard)

3. Rats Nest (ugly af but plays well)

4. Valhalla (I get the laser hate though)

5. Terminal (I like city maps)

• Like (+1) 2